Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 142 of 162 FirstFirst ... 4292132139140141142143144145152 ... LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,840 of 3230

Thread: Weird But True

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Ben & Jerry's: The rebuttle

PETA asks Ben & Jerry's to use breast milk

Thursday, September 25, 2008 (09-25) 12:14 PDT Montpelier, Vt. (AP) --

Ice cream made from breast milk? That's what the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals wants Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream to consider making.

The Virginia-based nonprofit group sent a letter to company co-founders Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield on Tuesday asking them to use human breast milk instead of cow's milk in their products.

PETA said the health of consumers and cows would benefit from the switch.

Ben & Jerry's spokesman Rob Michalak said the company applauds PETA's creative approach to bring attention to an issue, but believes that a mother's milk is best used by a child.

Information from: The Times Argus, www.timesargus.com/

Thanks, but NO thanks.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Exclamation

Wife to husband: How do you like our new "Bat flavoured coffee, Dear?"

Iowa Woman Drinks Bat-Infused Coffee. Woman Finds Bat In Coffee Filter

POSTED: 5:20 am EDT September 29, 2008

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa -- It wasn't just the caffeine that gave an Iowa woman an extra jolt after she had her morning coffee. It was also the bat she found in the filter.

The Iowa Department of Public Health said the woman reported a bat in her house but wasn't too worried about it. She turned on her automatic coffee maker before bedtime and drank her coffee the next morning.

She discovered the bat in the filter when she went to clean it that night. The woman has undergone treatment for possible rabies.

Health officials said the bat was sent to a lab but that its brain was too cooked by the hot water to determine whether it had rabies.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press.

Sacramento police seek thief stealing toilet parts

Saturday, September 27, 2008 (09-27) 15:28 PDT Sacramento, CA (AP) --

Sacramento police are looking for a thief they say has an affinity for toilet parts.

Investigators say the man is suspected of stealing plumbing and flushing mechanisms from two urinals in the California State Auto Association building in July.

Several similar incidents involving a man dressed like a plumber have been reported recently in nearby Placer County.

Investigators suspect the thief may be taking the metal parts for their value as salvage.

Police are releasing a surveillance photograph of the man and asking the public's help in finding him.

Information from: The Sacramento Bee, www.sacbee.com
    ====
    Cops nab motorist who owes $1.9M in traffic fines

Friday, September 26, 2008 (09-26) 15:37 PDT SAO PAULO, Brazil (AP) --

Brazilian police reportedly have caught up with a motorist who owes the equivalent of nearly $2 million in unpaid traffic fines. Folha OnLine said police stopped a 36-year-old man on Wednesday night and discovered he has been ticketed nearly 1,000 times since 2001, the year he bought his current car.

Folha OnLine said the accumulated fines for speeding and running red lights total 3.4 million reals ($1.9 million).

The man said he never received the tickets because he was always too busy to register the car in his name.

Folha OnLine said the car is worth about $6,600 and was impounded. It will be auctioned unless the man comes up with the money he owes.

Well I finally found it. A new item that is even too "weird" for me to post. But if you're interested, its in the San Franciso Chronicle, under Bay and Area News. You'll know as soon as you see the headlines.....

www.sfgate.com

Ummm.... eeerrr.. Isn't this something that should be listed under the "Common Sense" category? Maybe I missed something, but I would have figured that while there may be a requirement to have a written law to this effect, it would have been something that would have been written into the City Charter eons ago. Or not, as the case turns to be.

New Law Requires Reporting Stolen, Lost Guns

POSTED: 8:04 am EDT September 30, 2008
    UPDATED: 8:18 am EDT September 30, 2008

BALTIMORE, Md. -- Baltimore Police Commissioner Frederick Bealefeld says a new city law requiring gun owners to report lost or stolen weapons will help police track down the "bad guy with guns."

The law, which takes effect Nov. 11, requires gun owners to alert police within two days of noticing their weapon is missing.

Failure to do so will be a misdemeanor carrying a $500 fine for a first offense and $750 fines and up to 90 days imprisonment for subsequent violations.

The National Rifle Association said the new law is "frivolous" and Baltimore leaders should concentrate more on enforcing current laws, not adding new ones.

But city officials said this will help police build cases against "straw purchasers," people who resell legally purchased guns on the black market.

I mean, from my view, reporting the loss of a weapon is the owners best interest. Unless of course the weapon was not registered to begin with, I guess.

Red face

Have any of you seen...?

Missing in Mexico: One condom-mobile

By MARIA GALLUCCI, Associated Press Writer

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 (10-01) 10:52 PDT MEXICO CITY, Mexico (AP)

Missing in Mexico: One truck carrying 5,000 condoms, 800 HIV tests and a 23-foot (7 meter) inflatable prophylactic.

The coordinator of an HIV/AIDS awareness tour, Polo Gomez, said Wednesday that the "Condomovil" was parked in front of a friend's house in Mexico City when it disappeared Sunday evening. He believes the truck was stolen, but he doesn't know why. Police are still investigating.

The truck should be easy to spot. It features painted images of a peeled banana, the exposed part shaped like a condom, and a shirtless man saying: "I protect myself. Do you?"

Gomez estimated US$19,000 (200,000 pesos) worth of material is missing, including the truck, its contents and sound equipment.

As many as 440,000 Mexicans are living with HIV, according to 2005 estimates from UNICEF.

The Condomovil program has toured Mexico since 1998 promoting safe sex practices while distributing 1.2 million condoms to more than 700,000 people, Gomez said. The inflatable condom was used to draw attention from passers-by.

Gomez said a scheduled tour of Mexico's south would likely be canceled unless the truck is found.

The group bought the truck with a grant from Mexico's federal Health Department. The department also donated the 5,000 condoms in the truck when it went missing.

====
    San Diego-area bank hit by 2 robbers on same day

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 (10-01) 12:07 PDT La Mesa, Calif. (AP) --

Times have been tough for banks everywhere, but a San Diego-area Wells Fargo branch had an especially difficult day this week. The branch in La Mesa was robbed twice on Monday — by two different robbers.

The men the FBI call "The Hard Hat Bandit" and "The Chatty Bandit" each robbed the branch about three hours apart, authorities said.

FBI spokeswoman April Langwell says "The Chatty Bandit" walked in to the branch about 3 p.m., showed a pistol and demanded cash.

Less than three hours later "The Hard Hat Bandit" walked in and presented a note demanding money.

The FBI believes "The Chatty Bandit" has held up nine banks since March and "The Hard Hat Bandit" has struck three times this week. Neither has been arrested.
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 10-01-2008 at 03:56 PM.

Ok, I have always been under the impression that if a uniform is issued for use while on the job, the Employer had full vested rights on how the uniform should be worn, and with what (if any) accoutrements. Right? So how is Metro being discriminatory?

Justice Department Accuses Metro of Religious Discrimination

POSTED: 12:29 pm EDT October 2, 2008
    UPDATED: 12:44 pm EDT October 2, 2008

WASHINGTON -- The U.S. Justice Department is suing Metro over its policy of prohibiting employees from altering their uniforms to accommodate religious beliefs, The Washington Examiner reported.

That's religious discrimination, according to the government.

The lawsuit cites the case of Gloria Jones, an Apostolic Pentecostal Christian, who in 2005 applied to be a Metro bus driver. Jones said she didn't get the job because her religious beliefs prohibit her from wearing pants, which are part of a bus driver's uniform.

Metro spokeswoman Angela Gates confirmed that Metro doesn't allow any deviations from the standard uniform, but she declined to comment on the lawsuit.

The agency is reviewing its uniform policy, Gates said.

Default Mighty mouse indeed!

"Here he comes to save the day!

A mighty mouse tossed into a cage to be a snake's supper turned the tables and killed the viper.

Firefighters in Taiwan had caught the snake and found the mouse to feed it, but were shocked when the rodent bit and scratched the poisonous reptile to death.

Lan Sengqiu, the fire chief of Nantou town, said of the snake, "Perhaps it was a novice predator."

Default Just sad...

"A student in Michigan tossed holy water on his teacher, believing her to be a witch after she assigned Arthur Miller's "The Crucible," about the Salem Witch Trials.

Police said Darin Najor, 20, also had a lighter and said he wanted to "burn the witch."

{Kid musta watched too many reruns of Wizard of Oz-----......I'm melting, I'm melting..........what a world, what a world.........."}

Default A smashing good time!

"Frustrated? Go break things at the Smash Shack

A San Diego entrepreneur has found a perfect business for frustrating times: Selling customers breakables to fling against walls.

By Eilene Zimmerman
    September 25, 2008: 10:29 AM ET

San Diego entrepreneur Sarah Lavely has found a perfect business for frustrating times: Selling customers breakables to fling against walls.

When Sarah Lavely gets angry, she likes to break things. Not all the time, but on days when everything seems to be going wrong, she has been known to throw some plates against a wall. Fortunately, she has an easy outlet: Lavely is the founder of Sarah's Smash Shack, a San Diego shop where customers pay to smash tableware like dinner plates, wine glasses, intricately lined sashimi plates, brightly colored vases and goblets.

The store's pristine white shelves are filled with china just waiting to be broken.

"I picked pretty things because people are coming in here to do something they aren't supposed to do," Lavely says. "And breaking stuff like this is a little taboo."

The smashing is done in special soundproofed "break rooms" where customers - outfitted in coveralls, boots, gloves and a helmet - stand behind a chest-high barrier and hurl breakables at a stainless steel-covered wall. All the broken glass is donated to schools and art programs throughout the region.

Lavely, 38, is a former veterinarian. She began venting her frustrations on breakables as a child - she started with Christmas ornaments, then escalated to potted plants. As an angst-ridden teenager she targeted telephones and, once, a window.

"During my divorce," she says, "I broke a lot of stuff on my driveway."

That was when the idea for the Smash Shack came to her. Lavely hit an emotional rock bottom and woke up one day thinking: I really want to go break some stuff.

"I wished there was someplace I could go and just do that, just go nuts," she says. "I was sure other people felt like that at times, and I thought I should open a shop where you could do that."

Last November Lavely approached her friend Ed King, 34, a former veterinary technician, about partnering with her to start the business. After start-up costs of around $200,000, the store opened August 1.

As pioneers in the smash-for-cash business, Lavely and King have had to start completely from scratch. Greek restaurants aside, there are few if any places like Lavely's in the U.S.

"We had no business model to follow, no precedent, no place where you come only to smash things," she says. "We had to figure out what we needed - a room big enough to contain broken glass - how far is a safe distance from the smash wall, and what kind of safety equipment we would need."

In February, Lavely signed a lease for a two-story building in San Diego's trendy Gaslamp district. With the help of her husband Teague Hunziker, 35, a professional photographer and graphic designer, she and King sound-and-safety-proofed the break rooms, researched how different kinds of glass break, and installed sheets of heavy gauge stainless steel on the smash walls. The rooms are also equipped with sound systems that allow customers to hook up their iPod or MP3 player.

Ceramic white dinner plates are Lavely's biggest seller, because they require a strong toss and break violently against the wall. Patrons order from a menu that includes items like The House Special (15 plates in 15 minutes for $45), the Six Shooter (six rapid-fire wine glasses for $12) or the Juggernaut (two large jugs for $12.) Value seekers can opt for the Mystery Box: 10 assorted smashables for $25. If you'd like to smash a person, Lavely allows the next best thing - a photo inserted into a very breakable glass frame.

Since the shop opened business has been steadily increasing, with each night, on average, busier than the last. Despite consumers' tendency to be budget conscious in a down economy, Lavely is getting calls from groups of people who want to come to her shop from as far away as Los Angeles. Economic uncertainty might actually be driving business, as customers smash their way through the frustrations of high gas prices, a slumping housing market and rising unemployment.

"We leave Sharpies in the break rooms and people will write on a plate before they throw it. I don't read what they write, but when those customers are finished you can see they feel pretty emotional," Lavely says. "But that's why they came, to throw their frustrations against a wall and walk out the door feeling good."

On a recent Wednesday night, four middle-aged women came in to celebrate several birthdays at once. As they filed into the largest break room, where several piles of white plates sat waiting to be destroyed, they were giggly and nervous. But once the music started, the women began throwing plates - on which they had scribbled angry notes about home lives, work frustrations and teenage children - like Frisbees. They screeched with delight at each satisfying crack and splatter.

When they emerged from the room, breathless and exhilarated, participant Beth Daugh said, "That was intense, really cathartic."

She took off her helmet and shook out her hair, her face red and damp. "Writing message on the plates was the best part. Great therapy."

Too bizarre:

Tombstone topples, man dies

Canwest News Service Published: Wednesday, October 15, 2008

OTTAWA -- An elderly man died Monday evening in a bizarre accident at the Saint-Grégoire cemetery in Buckingham, Que. Gatineau police said it appears the man went to tend the graves of his parents and died after a tombstone fell on him. Another visitor to the cemetery called police at 7:18 p.m., but the man was declared dead at the scene.

© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2008

Did he whack the 'stache? Ohio officer suspended

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 (10-22) 07:36 PDT Sylvania, Ohio (AP)

A police officer was suspended for three days without pay in a tussle over whether he whacked his mustache to regulation length.

The facial hair of Officer Ron Dicus was the subject of a three-hour hearing Tuesday night before the Sylvania Township Board of Trustees.

Trustees determined the nine-year police veteran had been insubordinate. Dicus countered that he shortened his bushy mustache once when he was warned and again when he was charged.

Police Chief Robert Metzger described the 'stache as a "General Custer-type" that extended below the mouth in violation of department policy.

Dicus said he plans to take the dispute to arbitration.

Information from: The Blade, www.toledoblade.com
    =====
    Suspect in golf cart eludes Utah sheriff cruisers

Monday, October 20, 2008 (10-20) 12:13 PDT Morgan, Utah (AP)

A Utah sheriff's office has found that it shouldn't underestimate the golf cart as a getaway car. A suspect in a souped-up cart managed to elude officers who pursued him last month through an alfalfa field — but only for a while. He was arrested the next day at his grandmother's house.

Officers started pursuing the driver after he was spotted spinning out in a city park in Morgan. He took off into an alfalfa field and jumped irrigation ditches that the sheriff's cruisers couldn't cross.

Morgan County Sheriff's Sgt. Scott Peay suspects the cart was fitted with a car engine instead of the original electric motor.

Information from: Standard-Examiner, www.standard.net
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 10-23-2008 at 10:31 AM.

I dont usually search through the Toronto Sun, but bordom is a close companion at work right now....

Welland woman wonders who carved her pumpkin
    By THE CANADIAN PRESS

Last Updated: 24th October 2008, 9:18am

WELLAND — A Welland woman is on the hunt for a mysterious pumpkin carver.

Jennifer Bazylewski and her four-year-old niece picked up a few pumpkins on Monday.

When they got home, they put the pumpkins on the porch with plans to scoop out the seeds and carve spooky faces another day.

The next morning, Bazylewski went out to the porch and was greeted by a “perfectly carved jack-o-lantern.”

She says whoever carved it cleaned up the mess and left a snack-size chocolate bar as well as the initials P.S. carved in the back of the jack-o’-lantern.

Bazylewski says she has no idea who the mystery pumpkin carver could be, but says her neighbour also had pumpkins touched by an unknown carver.

“When I was a kid and you left your pumpkin out on the porch, kids would usually smash them and now people are going around carving them?” she said. “It’s just weird.”

Lightning Strike Kills 52 Cows

2:29am UK, Saturday October 25, 2008

Fifty-two cows have been killed by a single lightning strike in a freak accident at a ranch in Uruguay.

Newspaper El Pais reported that the cows had pressed themselves against a wire fence during a storm when the lightning bolt struck in the northern Uruguayan state of San Jose.

A photograph released by the San Jose Police Department shows the black and brown cows lying dead in a row.

The newspaper said that vets at the scene confirmed the cause of the deaths, which happened on Wednesday.

The experts also said that cows often crowd around fences to seek protection during bad weather.

Meteorologist Fernando Torena said he was not surprised that a single lightning bolt killed so many cows.

But he called it "very bad luck".

{sounds like something that should be in another thread, along with the penguin freedom fighters}

Almost had heartfailure when I first saw this headline. But I'm ok now.

British pub-goers may buy their beer a new way

By ELLE MOXLEY, Associated Press Writer Friday, October 24, 2008

Britain's beloved pint may be facing a downsizing.

The office that sets measurement standards said Friday that its proposed two-thirds pint measure for draft beer and cider could be on tap as soon as April.

Proponents of the new glass size say they like it because it would give consumers more options at the bar.

The pint is so much a part of British life that it survived the European Union switch to half-liters. And there already is a half-pint glass for those who want a lighter lunch or a clearer head.

Supporters of the new-size glass hope it will appeal to female drinkers, who traditionally eschew a full pint.

"It's hard ordering a drink on a date," said Emma Ross, 28, a postgraduate student having a beer with lunch in a London pub. "If I order a half-pint, it's ladylike, but where's my sense of adventure? If I order a pint, I know how to have a good time, but I don't want to advertise it to every guy standing at the bar."

Ross was drinking a half-pint (284 milliliters) of Stella Artois. For lunch at least, she said she probably wouldn't have ordered a two-thirds pint, which would contain 378.5 milliliters.

That's slightly more than 12 ounces.

Neil Williams, spokesman for the British Beer and Pub Association, said the two-thirds pint would be similar in size to many Continental bottled beers, encouraging customers to order these brews by the draft.

"It's not for every consumer or every venue," Williams said. "It just makes sense to add the two-thirds pint because for some customers and styles of beer, it'll just seem like the right size."

Williams said the new measurement would appeal to the lunch crowd and drinkers of specialty beers with higher alcohol contents.

But Jonathan Mail, spokesman for the Campaign for Real Ale, said a two-thirds pint could lead to too much drinking.

"People tend to measure their consumption by the number of pints they've drunk," Mail said. "If they're drinking a mix of pints and two-thirds pints, then that becomes quite a complicated calculation after a few drinks."

The National Weights and Measurements Laboratory is currently consulting bar owners and others on the proposed new glass size. If the laboratory adds the two-thirds pint as a standard unit of measurement, British pubs will have the option of serving draft beer by the partial pint.

Rail passenger gets his arm sucked down on-board toilet trying to save his mobile phone

By Mail Foreign Service Last updated at 7:56 AM on 28th October 2008

A passenger on a French train had to be rescued by firemen after having his arm sucked down the on-board toilet. The 26-year-old victim was trapped when he tried to fish out his mobile phone, which had fallen into the toilet bowl, and fell foul of the suction system.

The high-speed TGV train had to stop for two hours

The man was carried away by emergency services, with the toilet still attached to his arm. 'He came out on a stretcher, with his hand still jammed in the toilet bowl, which they had to saw clean off,' said Benoit Gigou, a witness to the man's plight.

The incident happened on Sunday evening, aboard a train travelling in western France from La Rochelle to Bordeaux.
    ========
    Comments (26)Here's what readers have had to say so far. Why not add your thoughts below?

Nuff said reading the comments from Dee, Steve,and Michael. Maybe you should get together and write scripts for the BBC. They desperately need some good, clean talent to give us all a laugh.
    - albert hall, hove england, 28/10/2008 07:43

Is there no place where some people don't want contact with the outside world.?
    - jim, Wirral,UK, 28/10/2008 05:24

After my husband fished out his cell phone from a similar event at home, he had the bright idea of drying it out in the oven. Might have worked, except he forgot about it and it melted. Sheepishly calling the insurance company, the agent said not to feel bad. Another guy couldn't find his cell phone, called its number and his dog started ringing! Cell phone replaced. Thousands for the vet bill!
    - Carletta Morris, Silicon Valley, USA, 28/10/2008 04:59
    =======
    =======

Bubble-wrap baby: The tiny premature child kept alive with a little packaging

Last updated at 11:04 AM on 28th October 2008

He was such a special delivery, and such incredibly fragile goods, that the usual sort of wrapping just wouldn't do. The little mite swaddled in bubble wrap is Gregor Craig, who was born at just 24 weeks weighing a tiny 1lb 14oz - so small that his father's wedding ring fitted over his arm. His chances of survival were slim, but doctors wanted to give him every chance.

So they wrapped him in the bubble wrap to keep him warm. Hospitals often use plastic wrap to help premature babies retain their body heat, but this was the first time the doctors in Kintyre, western Scotland, had used the bubble variety. Luckily their efforts paid off and five months later he has finally been allowed home with his family in Argyll.

His mother, Martine Craig, 29, said: 'Gregor is one of life's true survivors. We can't believe that we have him home with us after his long fight for survival.
    'We just couldn't believe that anything so tiny could possibly survive.'

The couple were thrilled when Mrs Craig became pregnant with Gregor as she had suffered a previous miscarriage. Mrs Craig said: 'We were worried about losing this baby too, but at my ten-week scan I could feel some strong kicks coming from him.'

But then just a week after her 23-week scan Mrs Craig began suffering severe stomach pain. She went to Campbeltown hospital in Kintyre where doctors told her she was suffering from a urinary tract infection. A few hours later, the infection had triggered labour and the doctors couldn't stop it.
    But amazingly Gregor survived the birth. Mrs Craig, whose husband Keith, 33, is a bus driver, said: 'I was allowed to see him two hours later when I had recovered from the birth.

'He looked so fragile lying there, but at least he was alive. His nappy came up to his neck and his tiny hand was the size of a penny piece. Doctors only gave Gregor a 10 per cent chance of survival but he kept hanging on.' He was transferred by air ambulance to the Queen Mother Hospital in Glasgow to receive specialist care. After 24 hours, doctors said his chance of survival had increased and, on the fourth day, Mrs Craig was allowed to hold her son for the first time. She said: 'He felt so light it was just like holding a ball of wool. 'His skin was completely see-through and he was covered in wires and tubes, keeping him alive. But every day that he hung on he gave us more hope.'

At ten weeks he had laser eye surgery to stop him going blind as the blood vessels in his eyes hadn't developed properly. After 17 weeks in hospital, when Gregor had reached 7lb, he was allowed home. He has to have daily oxygen, and his parents had to learn how to resuscitate him if necessary.
    Mrs Craig said: 'He is now a happy six-month-old and incredibly all he seems to have is some slight hearing problems. It's a small price to pay for having him here with us.'
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 10-28-2008 at 02:51 PM.

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Truly a miracle baby.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

It's wonderful to hear/see something so positive amidst all the negativity that's out there today.

Hubby, wife both charged with drunk driving

By KENNETH JACKSON The Ottawa Sun

OTTAWA -- A Mississippi Mills husband and wife have been charged with impaired driving after being arrested by the same officer in separate incidents within half an hour over the weekend.

The couple had been at a social gathering when the husband left in their car and rolled the vehicle on Scotch Corners Rd., west of Carleton Place at about 2 a.m.

When police arrived, they arrested the 44-year-old man for impaired driving.

With the man in the back of the cruiser and the officer en route to the Carleton Place detachment, an erratic driver was observed travelling towards them on Hwy. 7 near Ramsay Concession 5A.

The officer stopped the vehicle and the man's 40-year-old wife was arrested for impaired driving. She had borrowed a car to locate her husband. The officer took the couple back to the station.

Police describe the arrests as "unique."

"I can't say it's a common occurrence to arrest both spouses," said Const. Paige Whiting.

Jan Stone and his wife Julie MacDonald are scheduled to appear in Perth court Dec. 1.

Here fishy fishy fish

Mission angler's last cast hooks giant sturgeon 11-footer is released after an hour battle to haul 'er in

By Glenda Luymes, The Province Published: Thursday, October 30, 2008

The last cast of the day was a winner for fishing guide Matt Schaap.

An hour after dangling a hook baited with salmon roe in the Fraser River, the largest Fraser sturgeon hooked this year was on his line.

Weighing close to 362 kilograms (800 pounds) and estimated at about 100 years old, Schaap's 3.38-metre (11-feet, one-inch) catch was measured, photographed, tagged and released Saturday evening near Hatzic Bench in Mission.

It's the fifth-largest sturgeon caught on the Fraser River since tagging began in the mid-1990s.

"It was amazing to be part of it," said Schaap's boss, Vic Carrao, owner of STS Guiding Service.

The catch came five minutes before the end of an eight-hour fishing trip with a group of Langley men.

Schaap, who has been with STS for about six years, decided to try his luck one more time.

"He had a piece of used-up bait. He thought about changing it, but it was the last cast," said Carrao.

Using a 150-pound test line with a Lamiglas rod and Penn reel, Schaap and four other fishermen took turns hauling in the huge fish.

An hour later, they had their prize. Carrao, whose personal record catch is a 3.08-metre (10-feet, 11-inch) sturgeon landed in 2007, said this year's fish is the largest caught by someone with his guiding company.

"It's good to know there's quite a few fish of this size left on the Fraser," he said.

The prehistoric-looking fish, which was "calm as can be" after its capture, was photographed in the river and then released.

According to the Fraser River Sturgeon Conservation Society, sturgeon can live up to 150 years, grow to six metres in length and weigh upwards of 600 kilograms.

The longest ever caught was 3.4 metres, landed in 2003.

The fish is a threatened species, still recovering from intensive overfishing in the early 1900s.

There are an estimated 55,000 sturgeon in the Fraser River.

© The Vancouver Province 2008

photo credit:

Fishing guide Matt Schapp (far right) assists other anglers in hauling in a 3.4-metre-long sturgeon at Mission's Hatzic Bench Oct. 25.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information