Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 146 of 162 FirstFirst ... 4696136143144145146147148149156 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,920 of 3230

Thread: Weird But True

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Co-author Charles Fernyhough stressed that the study did not confirm a causal link between caffeine intake and hallucinations, noting also that three percent of people regularly hear voices in their head.

The voices in my head tell me to do things....evil things.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Mass. man shot twice in year at same pizza place

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

(01-14) 17:34 PST Worcester, Mass. (AP) --

A 26-year-old Worcester man may want to avoid a certain pizza place — after he was shot in front of the restaurant twice in less than a year. Police said the man, whose name was not immediately released, is expected to survive three gunshot wounds he suffered in front of the Golden Pizza on Tuesday, after surviving another shooting there in April.

Detective Capt. Edward McGinn told the Telegram & Gazette the man had just gotten a haircut at a barber shop Tuesday when he went across the street and got into a skirmish with a person in front of Golden Pizza.

McGinn said the man was hospitalized after being shot in the legs and abdomen. The shooter fled.

In the April 13 incident, police said three people were arrested after the same man was shot multiple times.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Now I KNOW that we've all done this at one time or another. Come'on dont lie, fess up!

Boy Tongue Tied to Pole

Painful lesson could have been learned by watching movie
    Updated 12:29 PM EST, Thu, Jan 15, 2009

In the story of another Indiana boy in the 40s, 9-year-old Ralph "Ralphie" Parker is enthralled by his friend Flick's misfortune.

Remember what happened to Flick?

In the 1983 film "A Christmas Story," based in the 1940s, Flick, a friend of the young protagonist, Ralphie, gets his tongue stuck to a flag pole when he tries tasting the frozen metal.

Who would DO that? Well, apparently, Flick is not alone.

In Hammond, Ind., police were called to the scene of a similar crisis Tuesday night. A 10-year-old boy got his tongue stuck on a frozen street light.

The Field Elementary School fourth-grader managed to mumble to police that a friend had dared him to lick the fixture, and as the NW Indiana Times reported, "He must have been triple dared."

Read more from the NW Indiana Times, where readers' comments will only add to the guilty glee sparked by the story.

Cold Weather Dangers

In fact, however, the bitter cold is no laughing matter. It can dangerous for even the hardiest of us.

Frostbite occurs when tissues freeze, and it can happen when skin is exposed to temperatures below the freezing point.

It's recommended that you dress appropriately even if just stepping out for a quick errand. The possibility of getting stuck outside should not be underestimated -- your car breaks down, you get stuck in the snow, the bus doesn't come -- and hypothermia can be deadly.

COMMENTS:

• Anonymous Today at 10:24 AM In our lawsuit-happy society, it won't be long before light pole manufacturers will be required to put numerous warning labels on each pole about sticking your tongue to it in cold weather. That's provided our school system actually taught the kids to read, which does not seem to happen often.

• oh boy Friday, Jan 16 at 2:08 AM How long until this kid's parents sue the studio that produced "A Christmas Story" for several million?

• Anonymous Thursday, Jan 15 at 2:11 PM Yes it does. This happen to my niece just a couple of weeks ago, while I they were over my house. She is 11years old. Her little sister triple DOG dare her. The only difference was that she didn't wait for help. She just riped part of her tongue skin off. It was a bloody mess. Wish I had a video. She is fine now, but couldn't taste food for weeks.

• Justice Thursday, Jan 15 at 1:53 PM I am sure this happens a lot more than people realize. I remember years ago my mom had done the same thing with her car keys. How often do we put our car keys in our mouth when we are fumbling with other things? I am sure everyone has done that before. So remember when it is this cold you can even freeze your car keys to your tongue if you aren't careful. The solution warm water, don't just rip them off.

• Beb35 Thursday, Jan 15 at 12:55 PM No brains - no headaches.

• John T Thursday, Jan 15 at 8:05 AM He must have been Triple Dog Dared!

Beb35 Thursday, Jan 15 at 12:55 PM No brains - no headaches.
    EHEHEHHEEHEEHEEE.

I think today will be a day of NOT reading the online news. I just had a look at the Victoria Times Colonist and it had several headlines related to the "ceremonies" set up for today. Also had a short read of the NBC4 news late last night. Under "Local News" - B.H.O, under "US and National News" - B.H.O., under "World News" - B.H.O. All the articles were the same, didn't matter which heading you looked at. Not bad press for "One Guy" eh? Bunch o B.S. if you ask me, but then, who's asking right?

For you folks in and around the DC area, keep yer heads down and yer ears open. Hopefully it'll be a relatively quiet shift day for y'all. Not sure if I can say I'm happy to be missing it or not.

Thumbs up

Tot blows whistle on grow-op

Canwest News ServiceJanuary 21, 2009

An 11-month-old B.C. boy playing with a telephone inadvertently placed a 9-1-1 call that led Mounties to a marijuana grow-op in his home. The man tried to explain to police that his young son didn't know how to dial a call, but they saw the toddler playing with a telephone. A 29-year-old White Rock man is facing charges of mischief and production of a controlled substance.

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

Thumbs up Hhahahahaaaaa

Police on trail of escaped cow three days after it fled auction

By Matthew Claxton, Canwest News ServiceJanuary 22, 2009 1:12 AM

When last seen four days ago, the fugitive was tired, spooked, and drooling.

The escapee is described as beefy, black, weighing several hundred kilograms and about 11/2 years old.

She's also a cow.

The heifer continued to elude police and animal control officers in Langley yesterday, making it the bovine's third day of freedom.

Sean Baker, director of the Langley Animal Shelter, said there had been no reported sightings of the animal since Monday, when it escaped from an auction. It fled south past the airport, and with police cars in pursuit, dashed up a hill on the Fraser Highway. From there, it disappeared into bush.

Six RCMP officers, along with members of the Langley Township bylaw enforcement department, and animal control were in pursuit.

"People, I think, underestimate cattle," said Baker.

However, those who chased the cow across several kilometres of road and rough terrain weren't underestimating cattle anymore.

They lost the animal in a maze of bramble-choked backyards. A group of officers followed its tracks east until it apparently emerged from the bush near a butcher shop, then hoofed it across the street into a dense stand of woods.

Baker noted that cattle are strong, fast, and have high endurance.

Forum Member

Default Now the evil little bustards are on fire!

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...2&sectionID=46

If anyone wonders why I hunt squirrels,it is to prevent fires.

I got the joke. Oh well, I guess.

Photo of former Vancouver police chief's controversial prank made public

Vancouver Sun January 23, 2009

The Vancouver police department, responding to an Freedom of Information Request, released a photo Thursday of a bullet-riddled shooting target that former chief Jamie Graham used during a controversial prank.

On June 30 2006, Graham left the shooting-range target on the desk of then-city hall manger Judy Rogers, with a hand-written note: "A bad day at the range is better than the best day at work."

Rogers was offended by the target and went to Mayor Sam Sullivan with her concerns. Graham apologized for his actions.

The police board said it was satisfied with Graham's apology, and the public complaints commission determined no formal investigation was required.

Graham later retired and is now the Victoria police chief.

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Coulda gone to the Happiest Place on Earth,aka Bass Pro Shops.They sell the stuff by the bottle.
    One thing about fox urine that cat urine shares is that you can NOT get the stuff out of clothing,carpet or upholstery.
    I will neither confirm nor deny spraying fox urine through a window screen with a needleless hypodermic needle in retaliation for my downstairs neighbor hitting on my then 13 year old stepdaughter.I wanted to do something else but my wife hid the gun cabinet keys.

Ummm... how did he collect the stuff in the first place?

Man sprays 'toilet-papering' teens with fox urine

Friday, December 12, 2008 (12-12) 12:23 PST Willmar, Minn. (AP)

A 50-year-old man told authorities he was fed up with teens toilet-papering his house during homecoming week. This year, he decided to defend his property — with a squirt gun filled with fox urine.

He says he sprayed the kids with a mixture of one-third fox urine and two-thirds water because "it stinks, but it doesn't hurt anything."

Information from: West Central Tribune, www.wctrib.com

NC campus cops arrest student in snowball melee

Thursday, January 22, 2009 (01-22) 13:09 PST Greenville, N.C. (AP)

Authorities at a North Carolina college say a huge snowball fight got out of control, forcing campus police to use pepper spray on some students to contain the rowdy crowd.

Police were called to a dormitory at East Carolina University three times Tuesday as hundreds of students pelted each other with snow, The Daily Reflector of Greenville reported. The college is in a part of the state which doesn't get snow often, but a rare storm dropped several inches on campus that day.

Police said some students were getting too aggressive and an officer used pepper spray on a group that rushed officers trying to make an arrest.

Junior Brandon Davis said "it all started in good nature, but then people were throwing them as hard as they could at each other." Junior Matt Lunchick said an officer chased and arrested a student after being hit in the back with a snowball.
    =========

Scientists solve `The Italian Job' cliffhanger

By RAPHAEL G. SATTER, Associated Press Writer

Friday, January 23, 2009 (01-23) 08:17 PST LONDON, United Kingdom (AP)

Some of the Britain's brightest minds have resolved one of the country's biggest cinematic cliffhangers: How the robbers could have got away with the gold at the end of "The Italian Job."

The 1969 heist film ends with the robbers' gold-laden bus teetering over the edge of an Alpine road, with their loot — and their lives — in doubt.

On Friday the Royal Society of Chemistry offered fans a little closure, announcing the winner of a competition to find a scientific solution to their predicament.

"Like many people, I watched the film from when I was a young boy," said John Godwin, the winner. "It's one of those classic British films, with great actors — Michael Caine, Noel Coward, Benny Hill — and a great car chase, and at the end of the day they've done all the hard work and it seemed a waste to leave them hanging on that mountainside."

"The Italian Job" follows Charlie Croker, played by Caine, as he assembles a crack team of likable crooks to pull off a complex plan to steal a stash of gold in the Italian city of Turin. The ensuing car chase — which cuts across the rooftop test track of Fiat's Lingotto building and down the steps of Turin's Gran Madre di Dio church — ranks among the most gripping in movie history.

But things end badly when the gang's getaway bus slides halfway off a mountain road on its way to Switzerland. The bus seesaws precariously, with the men gathered at the front and the gold weighing down the back, which is hanging over the cliff. A wrong move could send the bus tumbling into the chasm below, but Croker says: "Hang on a minute lads — I've got a great idea." Then the credits roll.

Royal Society of Chemistry Chief Executive Richard Pike said the competition to find an ending to the movie that preserves both the gold and the men was aimed at "promoting science and chemistry to a wider audience in an entertaining way," adding that some 2,000 people had tried their hand at extricating Croker's gang. Some of the more novel solutions including burning the asphalt to glue the bus to the road or dissolving the gold with acid, he said.

Godwin said his fix took him an afternoon to work out:

_Break the windows at the back to reduce weight.

_Break two windows at the front, hold one gang member upside down out of the window to deflate the front tires and stabilize the vehicle.

_Drain the rear fuel tank through an access panel at the bottom of the bus.

_Gang members leave one by one from the front, collecting stones to replace their weight.

_Keep adding stones until someone can safely go to the rear to retrieve the gold.

Godwin said gathering the data he needed for his equations, like the fuel efficiency of a 1964 Bedford VAL14, the weight of a window or the price of gold in 1968 — needed to establish the weight of the haul — was fairly easy. "The Internet's a great place," he said.

He isn't the first to suggest a solution.

Caine himself proposed a much simpler idea in a British Broadcasting Corp. documentary six years ago — albeit one that leaves the hapless gang short of their precious haul.

"The next thing that happens is you turn the engine on," Caine said. "You all sit exactly where you are till all the petrol has run out, which changes the equilibrium. We all jump out and the gold goes over the cliff."

On the Net:

Contest submissions and diagrams:

prospect.rsc.org/blogs/rsc/in-pictures-italian-job-entries
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 01-23-2009 at 01:18 PM.

Forum Member

Unknown if this kid was dog dared at any level but.....
    http://commercialappeal.com/news/200...ifeless-beale/
    Scroll down to the 125 years ago entry of 1884 and enjoy.

Now I KNOW that we've all done this at one time or another. Come'on dont lie, fess up!

Boy Tongue Tied to Pole

Painful lesson could have been learned by watching movie
    Updated 12:29 PM EST, Thu, Jan 15, 2009

In the story of another Indiana boy in the 40s, 9-year-old Ralph "Ralphie" Parker is enthralled by his friend Flick's misfortune.

Remember what happened to Flick?
    • John T Thursday, Jan 15 at 8:05 AM He must have been Triple Dog Dared!

[/B] EHEHEHHEEHEEHEEE.

Unhappy

Who knew? I had not heard about her passing.

Gene Roddenberry, wife to spend eternity in space

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 (01-27) 04:43 PST LOS ANGELES, (AP)

The creator of "Star Trek" and his wife will spend eternity together in space. Celestis Inc., a company that specializes in "memorial spaceflights," said Monday that it will ship the remains of Gene Roddenberry and Majel Barrett Roddenberry into space next year.

The couple's cremated remains will be sealed into specially made capsules designed to withstand the rigors of space travel. A rocket-launched spacecraft will carry the capsules, along with digitized tributes from fans. The Roddenberrys' remains — and the spacecraft — will travel ever deeper into space and will not return to earth, company spokeswoman Susan Schonfeld said.

After Gene Roddenberry died in 1991, his wife commissioned Celestis to launch a part of his remains into space in 1997. She died Dec. 18, 2008.

Question

Obama Wants to Take Away Your Space Weapons Reckless pacifism could leave us vulnerable to alien invasion
    By SARA K. SMITH

Updated 2:46 PM EST, Tue, Jan 27, 2009

The only thing Americans love more than wars is space wars.
    Obama's New Team

Meet the newest members of President-elect Barack Obama's Cabinet
    That is why literally millions of people will diligently sew their own Jabba the Hutt costumes and wait in mile-long lines with countless other desperate dorks in order to attend the premieres of such cinematic masterworks as Star Wars, Starship Troopers, and Battlefield Earth. There is nothing we enjoy quite so much as seeing a brave human warrior narrowly escape dismemberment by a space monster before he is rescued by a hovercraft with blinky lights.

Barack Obama is determined to snuff out our venerable American obsession with intergalactic violence by proposing a ban on space weapons.

Moments after Obama's inauguration last week, the White House website was updated to include policy statements on a range of issues, including a pledge to restore U.S. leadership on space issues and seek a worldwide ban on weapons that interfere with military and commercial satellites.

It also promised to look at threats to U.S. satellites, contingency plans to keep information flowing from them, and what steps are needed to protect spacecraft against attack. Well that is just no fun at all. If our "spacecraft" never gets "attacked," how will we ever be able to commence a generations-long struggle between Earthlings and the devious legions of insectoid plotters who want to use us as slaves in their uranium mines?

In the past, Obama has also proposed "code of conduct for responsible space-faring nations," which sounds dangerously like socialism.

For a long time now, certain Obama detractors have suggested he was an illegal alien with anti-American proclivities who would use the levers of the presidency to ascend to global domination. If only we'd known how ambitious he truly was! This space alien doesn't just want to run the world -- he wants to run the universe.

Sara K. Smith writes for Wonkette.

Copyright NBC Local Media

First Published: Jan 27, 2009 1:59 PM EST
    Comments (1)
    Sort by: Most Recent | Oldest
    Anonymous 12 minutes ago Why is this article even posted? Whether you agree with Obama or not you have to admit, this is drivel. Hire a real journalist or two and stop posting "news" stories from Jr. High kids who want to be steven colbert and think they're funny.

Red face

Woman in 'erotic dream state' not assaulted: judge

By Betty Ann Adam, Canwest News Service January 28, 2009

SASKATOON -- A woman who was in an "erotic dream state" when she removed some of her clothing and wrapped her naked torso around a man sitting beside her on the couch may have given the impression she was directing a "prolonged and provocative act" toward the man, a Saskatoon court has found.

Justice Ron Mills found Paul Kut, 60, not guilty of sexual assault at Court of Queen's Bench on Tuesday.

Calling the facts "obviously, highly unusual," Mills found the complainant, whose name is protected by a publication ban, also acknowledged it's possible she had removed her pants and underpants without help from the accused, while sleeping and dreaming about her estranged husband.

The woman testified at a trial in December she awoke to find the older man touching her in a sexual manner. She told him to stop and he immediately did.

At issue was whether this was a rare kind of sexual assault -- the accidental kind -- Mills said.

Mills found that, while the woman did not consent and the act of sexual assault was proven, the accused lacked the necessary intention to commit the crime because he had a mistaken but honest belief she was consenting.

The woman and her four children were staying overnight at the apartment of an elderly couple on July 30, 2007.

Also present was Kut, with whom the woman was acquainted. Kut is 35 years older than the complainant and she had no interest in him, Mills found.

The woman, who had recently left her abusive husband, was suffering from a migraine. She had not consumed any alcohol.

Kut was sitting at one end of the long sofa and the woman went to sleep, fully clothed, at the other end, Mills found.

When she awoke in the early morning to find Kut touching her, she was also partially nude.

The woman testified she had experienced an erotic dream involving her estranged husband and that she likely removed the clothing herself and wrapped her legs around the accused.

Default 94 year old woman charge with assualt

Thursday, January 29, 2009

A 94-year-old resident of an Atlanta nursing home is fighting claims she assaulted a fellow resident with a telephone.

Her attorney, Robert Kaiden, confirmed Thursday that Atlanta police arrested Theodora Garreau Sunday at Westminster Commons, a nursing home at 560 St. Charles Ave., off Monroe Drive.

Police said Garreau threw a telephone at another elderly woman, Kaiden said. The reason for the alleged incident was not known, and Kaiden denied it even happened.

Officers initially cited Garreau with disorderly conduct but later upgraded the charge to simple battery, her attorney said.

Kaiden insisted Garreau, who weighs about 80 pounds and has arthritis, did not hurt the other woman. He plans to fight the charges and is considering a civil suit against the nursing home.

“They violated her patients’ bill of rights,” Kaiden said. “You’d think they would have some sort of standard operating procedure to handle this in a different way.”

The Atlanta Police Department’s public affairs division did not immediately respond to requests for comment Thursday night.

A woman who answered the phone at Westminster Commons said no one was available for comment.

Garreau is no longer staying at the nursing home, Kaiden said.

When fire is cried and danger is neigh,
    "God and the firemen" is the people's cry;
    But when 'tis out and all things righted,
    God is forgotten and the firemen slighted.
    ~Author unknown, from The Fireman's Journal, 18 Oct 1879

Police Solve "Ghostly" Missing Truck Mystery

By JONATHAN LLOYD

Updated 10:37 AM EST, Thu, Feb 12, 2009

Dude, where's my truck?

LAGUNA BEACH, Calif. -- Police used surveillance video to solve the case of a missing truck.

Watch VideoSurveillance video captures an unmanned truck playing hide-and-seek with its driver.

Car Hides from Driver

The mystery began when Michael Otero exited a Laguna Beach convenience store to find an empty parking spot where he had parked his pickup truck.

"It's almost like a ghost," Otero told the Orange County Register newspaper.

Investigators expected to find video of the thief on the store's surveillance video. Instead, the video shows Otero's truck as it slowly rolls from the parking spot in reverse and into a nearby parking structure.

The truck was hidden from Otero's view when he left the store. It came to a stop in a vacant parking spot after scraping a wall and concrete barrier.

"I'm just cracking up," he told the Register. "I just thank God it didn't hurt anyone."

The newspaper reported that the truck sustained minor damage. Otero told the newspaper that the parking brake was engaged and the manual shift was in gear.

The newspaper reported that Otero plans to have a mechanic examine the vehicle.

Otero told the newspaper that the parking brake was engaged and the manual shift was in gear.

Or was it?????

Let me guess: She was ejected from the SUV because

she could not buckle her seatbelt due to the nail length

Woman's record-length fingernails broken in crash

Thursday, February 12, 2009 (02-12) 18:14 PST Salt Lake City (AP)

A Utah woman listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for her long fingernails has lost them in a car crash. Lee Redmond of Salt Lake City sustained serious but non-life-threatening injuries in the accident Tuesday.

Redmond's nails, which hadn't been cut since 1979, were broken in the crash. According to the Guinness Web site, her nails measured a total of more than 28 feet long in 2008, with the longest nail on her right thumb at 2 feet, 11 inches.

Salt Lake County Sheriff's Lt. Don Hutson says Redmond was ejected from an SUV in the crash and taken to the hospital in serious condition.

Redmond has been featured on TV in episodes of "Guinness Book of World Records" and "Ripley's Believe It or Not."

On the Net:

http://tinyurl.com/2khrlh

Information from: Deseret News, www.deseretnews.com

When I read this, I got a picture of a big purse siener being dragged by the space shuttle, trying to "police up" all the little bits and pieces.

Space crash called "catastrophic," lots of debris
    By VLADIMIR ISACHENKOV, Associated Press Writer

Friday, February 13, 2009 (02-13) 11:41 PST MOSCOW, Russia (AP)

The crash of two satellites has generated an estimated tens of thousands of pieces of space junk that could circle Earth and threaten other satellites for the next 10,000 years, space experts said Friday.

One expert called the collision "a catastrophic event" that he hoped would force President Barack Obama's administration to address the long-ignored issue of debris in space.

Russian Mission Control chief Vladimir Solovyov said Tuesday's smashup of a derelict Russian military satellite and a working U.S. Iridium commercial satellite occurred in the busiest part of near-Earth space — some 500 miles (800 kilometers) above Earth.

"800 kilometers is a very popular orbit which is used by Earth-tracking and communications satellites," Solovyov told reporters Friday. "The clouds of debris pose a serious danger to them."

Solovyov said debris from the collision could stay in orbit for up to 10,000 years and even tiny fragments threaten spacecraft because both travel at such a high orbiting speed.

James Oberg, an experienced aerospace engineer who worked on NASA's space shuttle program and is now a space consultant, described the crash over northern Siberia as "catastrophic event." NASA said it was the first-ever high-speed impact between two intact spacecraft — with the Iridium craft weighing 1,235 pounds (560 kilograms) and the Russian craft nearly a ton.

"At physical contact at orbital speeds, a hypersonic shock wave bursts outwards through the structures," Oberg said in e-mailed comments. "It literally shreds the material into confetti and detonates any fuels."

Most fragments are concentrated near the collision course, but Maj.-Gen. Alexander Yakushin, chief of staff of the Russian military's Space Forces, said some debris was thrown into other orbits, ranging from 300 to 800 miles (500-1,300 kilometers) above Earth.

David Wright at the Union of Concerned Scientists' Global Security said the collision had possibly generated tens of thousands of particles larger than 1 centimeter (half an inch), any of which could significantly damage or even destroy a satellite.

Wright, in a posting on the group's Web site, said the two large debris clouds from Tuesday's crash will spread over time, forming a shell around Earth. He likened the debris to "a shotgun blast that threatens other satellites in the region."

Meanwhile, there's no global air traffic control system that tracks the position of all satellites.

The U.S. military tracks some 17,000 pieces of space debris larger than 2 to 4 inches (5 to 10 centimeters), along with some 900 active satellites. But its main job is protecting the international space station and other manned spacecraft, and it lacks the resources to warn all satellite operators of every possible close call.

"With the amount of spacecraft and debris in orbit, the probability of collisions is going up more rapidly," said John Higginbotham, chief executive of Integral Systems Inc., a Lanham, Maryland-based company that runs ground support systems for satellites.

Oberg said the limited accuracy of tracking data and computer calculations makes it impossible to predict collisions, only their probability. He said most satellites also have little fuel to escape what most likely would be a false alarm.

"The collision offers a literally heaven-sent opportunity for the Obama administration to take forceful, visible and long-overdue measures to address a long-ignored issue of 'space debris,'" Oberg said.

In January 2007, China destroyed one of its own defunct satellites with a ballistic missile at an altitude close to that of Tuesday's collision, creating thousands of pieces of debris which threatened other spacecraft.

Both NASA and Russia's Roscosmos agencies said there was little risk to the international space station, which orbits 230 miles (370 kilometers) above Earth, far below the collision point. An unmanned Russian cargo ship docked smoothly Friday at the station, delivering water, food, fuel, oxygen and other supplies as well as a new Russian space suit for space walks.

American astronauts Michael Fincke and Sandra Magnus are aboard the station along with Russian Yuri Lonchakov. The crew size will be doubled to six members later this year.

AP Technology Writer Peter Svensson in New York and AP Science Writer Seth Borenstein in Washington contributed to this report.

Default Sad and very bizarre

Ohio woman pleads guilty to exercising 73-year-old husband to death

Sat Feb 14, 2:44 PM
    By The Associated Press

CHARDON, Ohio - A woman has pleaded guilty to reckless homicide for exercising her 73-year-old husband to death in a swimming pool, repeatedly refusing to let him leave the water.

Surveillance video showed Christine Newton-John, 41, pulling James Mason around the pool by his arms and legs, said Middlefield police Chief Joseph Stehlik.

The chief said he counted 43 times in which Newton-John prevented her husband from leaving the water, and Mason rested his head on the side of the pool several times while gasping for breath.

"The video is bone-chilling," Stehlik said. "The whole case is very sinister."

Mason had a heart attack June 2 after the extended swim session. An officer who had investigated previous complaints that Mason was being abused pursued the case because he suspected there was more to the death, Stehlik said.

Newton-John pleaded guilty Thursday and faces up to five years in prison. No sentencing date was set.

Police did not immediately respond to a call Saturday seeking comment on a motive.

The video would have had a profound effect on a jury, Geauga County prosecutor David Joyce said. But that wouldn't have been enough for a conviction if Newton-John had been charged with murder.
    "You can see the man struggling for his life on the tape, but there is no audio, so we couldn't hear what he was saying," he said.

Geauga County Chief Public Defender Robert Umholtz, who represented Newton-John, declined to comment.

Mason was a longtime friend of his wife's family. He knew her as John Vallandingham before she had gender reassignment surgery in 1993 and changed her name in honour of the singer and star of the hit movie version of the musical "Grease."

The couple were wed in 2006 in Kentucky, where people can change their gender on their birth certificate. "

This is the scariest thing I've ever seen! It's a coconut crab "or sometimes known as robber crabs because some coconut crabs are rumored to steal shiny items such as pots and silverware from houses and tents". Remind me not to go near any coconut trees!
    Last edited by firecat1; 06-12-2009 at 08:49 AM.

Thread Information