Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 149 of 162 FirstFirst ... 4999139146147148149150151152159 ... LastLast
Results 2,961 to 2,980 of 3230

Thread: Weird But True

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Hahahahaaa
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

May 17, 2009 -- Pigs don't fly in Texas -- but hunters can.
    The state legislature's lower house has passed a bill to let airborne marksmen shoot wild oinkers. Rep. Sid Miller said more than 2 million feral pigs run hog wild in parts of the Lone Star state, causing $400 million in damage annually.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Monkey see, monkey do, monkey steal!

May 23, 2009 -- A bandit dressed in a gorilla suit has been entering gas-station convenience stores in Fond du Lac, Wis., and stealing Styrofoam-display bananas. Cops believe it might be teens making an Internet prank video.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

I wonder how many will try anyway, "just in case"?

Thou shalt not poke the Pope. Neither shalt thou write on his wall

By Philip Pullella, Reuters May 24, 2009

Reuters You won't get an e-mail saying Pope Benedict added you as a friend and you can't "poke" him or write on his wall, but the Vatican is still keen to use the networking site Facebook to woo young people back to church.

A new Vatican website, www.pope2you.net, has gone live, offering an application called "The pope meets you on Facebook," and another allowing the faithful to see the Pope's speeches and messages on their iPhones or iPods.

The Vatican's World Communications Day today is devoted to communicating the gospel with new technologies.

"We recognize that a church that does not communicate ceases to be a church," said Msgr. Paul Tighe, secretary of the Vatican's Social Communications department.

"Many young people today are not turning to traditional media like newspapers and magazines any more for information and entertainment. They are looking to a different media culture, and this is our effort to ensure that the Church is present in that communications culture."

Users of the new site can select from more than a dozen "virtual postcards" with pictures of the Pope and messages from him on faith, love and life specifically aimed at young people, and send them to other users.

The Catholic Church, which has seen vocations to religious life decline and church attendance fall, has already turned to the Internet. Last January the Pope became one of the oldest people to have his own YouTube channel, www. youtube.com/vaticanit.

The pope, known to write most of his speeches by hand while his aides manage his forays into cyberspace, has even admitted that the Vatican does not use the Internet enough.

The Vatican got egg on its face in January when the Pope admitted that, if the Church had surfed the web more, it might have known that a traditionalist bishop whose excommunication was lifted had for years been a Holocaust denier.

The new applications are available in Italian, English, Spanish, French and Dutch.

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Passer-by Gives Suicide Jumper a Push

Updated 1:00 AM EDT, Sun, May 24, 2009

Chen Fuchao falls after a passer-by pushed him off the ledge in Guangzhou, China.

Chen Fuchao, a man heavily in debt, had been contemplating suicide on a bridge in southern China for hours when a passer-by came up, shook his hand — and pushed him off the ledge.

Chen fell 26 feet onto a partially inflated emergency air cushion laid out by authorities and survived, suffering spine and elbow injuries, the official Xinhua News Agency said Saturday.

The passer-by, 66-year-old Lai Jiansheng, had been fed up with what he called Chen's "selfish activity," Xinhua said. Traffic around the Haizhu bridge in the city of Guangzhou had been backed up for five hours and police had cordoned off the area.

"I pushed him off because jumpers like Chen are very selfish. Their action violates a lot of public interest," Lai was quoted as saying by Xinhua. "They do not really dare to kill themselves. Instead, they just want to raise the relevant government authorities' attention to their appeals."

Xinhua said Lai was "taken away by police" but did not elaborate.

A police officer who answered the telephone Saturday at a station close to the bridge confirmed the incident and said it was under investigation. He refused to give any other details and hung up.

According to Xinhua, Chen wanted to kill himself because he had accrued 2 million yuan ($290,000) in debt from a failed construction project.

On Thursday, he made his way to the Haizhu bridge, where 11 other people have tried to take their lives since April.

Lai volunteered to talk Chen down but was turned away by police, Xinhua said. Lai then broke through the cordon, climbed to where Chen sat, greeted him with a handshake, then pushed.

Photos in the Beijing Morning Post showed Lai, shoeless and in a T-shirt, saluting after Chen fell.

The paper said Lai was released on bail Friday but did not give any details. It said he had been on medication for "a mental illness" for decades and had been on his way to a hospital for his pills.

Chen was recovering in the hospital, Xinhua said.

May 26, 2009 -- French officials have announced a Tour de France for prisoners. It will feature 196 inmates -- followed closely by 124 guards -- pedaling 1,400 miles. The race will start in Lille on June 4 and end in Paris.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Quote Originally Posted by E40FDNYL35 View Post
    May 26, 2009 -- French officials have announced a Tour de France for prisoners. It will feature 196 inmates -- followed closely by 124 guards -- pedaling 1,400 miles. The race will start in Lille on June 4 and end in Paris.
    OK, I was going to make something funny of this, until I checked the proposed routing in googlemaps. Turns out that except for the actual start and finish points there is not really much of anywhere that "silly stuff" might happen, as there are almost no access roads off the main highway. I would imagine that additional security will be applied at both Lille and Paris, when they are in the actual city limits. Other than maybe ditching the bike and trying to run for it through the woods and fields, there ain't no where to go.
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 05-26-2009 at 09:54 PM.

German states ban Red Bull after discovery of cocaine in the drink
    Provided by: The Canadian Press
    Written by: THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    May. 25, 2009

BERLIN - Six German states have told retailers to stop selling Red Bull Cola energy drinks after a test found a trace amount of cocaine.

The bans started Friday after a sample test conducted by authorities in North Rhine-Westphalia state found 0.4 micrograms per litre in the drink.

Five other states also banned it from shops amid concerns over possible narcotics law violations.

Germany's Federal Institute for Risk Assessment said Monday that the cocaine level was too low to pose a health risk. It planned to produce a more detailed report Wednesday.

Red Bull said its cola is "harmless and marketable in both the U.S. and Europe." It said similar coca leaf extracts are used worldwide as flavouring, and a test it commissioned itself found no cocaine traces.

Coca-cola made all their sodas completely cocaine-free by 1929 so why is there even a trace showing back up in any product now?

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    OK, I was going to make something funny of this, until I checked the proposed routing in googlemaps. Turns out that except for the actual start and finish points there is not really much of anywhere that "silly stuff" might happen, as there are almost no access roads off the main highway. I would imagine that additional security will be applied at both Lille and Paris, when they are in the actual city limits. Other than maybe ditching the bike and trying to run for it through the woods and fields, there ain't no where to go.
    Why should they get the privilege though?
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

May 27, 2009 -- He must have thought a nylon stocking over his head wasn't manly enough. Police in Nebraska are hunting for a man who stole cigarettes from a convenience store while wearing a Bud Light carton on his head. The man made off with $50 worth of smokes, but dropped the box in the parking lot. Officers dusted it for prints, but no match was found.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Now whoda thunk it eh? Us'ns up north here have been saying this for YEARS.

Napolitano: 9/11 terrorists did not enter US from Canada

Wed May 27, 12:45 PM

OTTAWA (AFP) - US Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano said Wednesday she now knows 9/11 terrorists did not enter the United States from Canada, seeking to bury controversy over a diplomatic gaffe.

"I know that 9/11 terrorists did not cross the Canadian border," Napolitano told reporters, referring to an "earlier misstatement" used to justify increased security at the United States' northern frontier.

She had made the comment in a television interview with Canadian public broadcaster CBC in April, provoking outrage in this country.

"Terrorists have come into our country or suspected or known terrorists have entered our country across ... the Canadian border," she was quoted as saying.

Her office immediately issued a correction, but not before the falsehood was spread by others, including US Senator John McCain who told Fox News: "Some of the 9/11 hijackers did come through Canada, as you know."

Most who made the same mistake, including Republican commentator Newt Gingrich and now US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, have subsequently apologized to the Canadian embassy.

Canadian Public Safety Minister Peter Van Loan said Wednesday: "The secretary has made her position quite clear, she's corrected (her statements), we have accepted that and moved on."

Canadian lawmakers feared the misconception would fuel an unwarranted tightening of Canada-US border security that could strangle cross-border trade, worth more than one billion dollars per day.

Napolitano was in Ottawa to discuss border issues with Van Loan over two days

"Thank you Madam Secretary."

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

How sad is this?

Girl, 5, raised by dogs in Siberia

AFP
    May 27, 2009 4:01 PM
    StoryPhotos ( 1 )

Russian police found a five-year-old girl who has been shut up in a flat in the company of cats and dogs for her entire life in the Eastern Siberian city of Chita, represented on the map by a red marker.

Photograph by: Screenshot, Google MapsMOSCOW — Russian child protection officers have taken into care a five-year-old girl who barks and laps up food like a dog, having had more contact with canines than humans, police said on Wednesday.

The girl had been found in a filthy apartment living with her father and grandparents but also cats and several dogs, with whom she appeared more comfortable, police in the Eastern Siberian city of Chita said in a statement.

Never allowed outdoors, the girl had not learnt to speak but instead tried to communicate by barking.

When discovered by child protection officers, "the unwashed girl was dressed in filthy clothes" and "threw herself at people like a little dog."

In a stab at humour, the police statement dubbed the girl "Mowgli" after a fictional character who grew up among wolves in a children's book by the Anglo-Indian writer Rudyard Kipling.

The flat's owners "practically never let anyone into the apartment and themselves only went out to walk their pets, trying to avoid meeting their neighbours.

"In all these years, the girl managed to master the animal language only," the statement said, adding that the girl could understand Russian, while not speaking it.

"For about five years the girl was 'brought up' by several dogs and cats and not once went outside," the statement added.

Currently living in a care facility and receiving medical and psychiatric help, the girl continues "to jump against the door and bark" if her carers leave the room she is occupying, it said.

In a report by the Vesti television channel, the head of the care centre where the girl is now living said she was still exhibiting dog-like behaviour and preferred to lap up her food rather than using cutlery.

The television channel found that the girl's family had practically bariccaded themselves into their apartment in the wake of the attention.

"These neighbours are really unsociable," one neighbour, Nina Novikova, said of the family. "They only go out at night so as to avoid meeting anyone."

Police said they plan to open a criminal investigation for abuse.

In March, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev urged action on child abuse, saying 760,000 children were living in "socially hazardous conditions".

© Copyright (c) AFP

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Every time I think that humans can't sink any lower in how they treat other humans, even their own kin, something like this comes up.

Sr. Information Officer NJFFSA16's Avatar

Talking Amazing

This thread is still going? Now that I've retired...I'll have time to read it.

Hello FH Forums!
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Quote Originally Posted by NJFFSA16 View Post

Hello FH Forums!
    HOLY WOW! Look what the cat dragged in! heheheheeheheee. Welcome back Ed.

And to continue what Ed so graciously started:

Booze, drugs lead to road rage incident and arrest

By Sarah Simpson, The CitizenMay 26, 2009

The combination of liquor and prescription medication ended in mayhem on the Trans Canada Highway and arrest for a 69-year-old Cowichan Valley man the afternoon of May 21.

According to RCMP South Island Traffic Services Cst. Mike Halskov, around 4 p.m. police responded to a road-rage complaint on the highway at Henry Road.

Traffic at the intersection was at a standstill as police quickly learned that two people had allegedly been assaulted by a man, who when police arrived, was lying in the middle of the highway. The man was removed from the road, deemed intoxicated, checked out by paramedics and arrested.

Others were milling about, having just broken up the fight. Their accounts of the incident left police shaking their heads, grateful the outcome hadn't been far worse.

Victim and witness reports suggested the suspect was speeding and driving erratically just prior to the incident.

Initial reports are the man was angry the driver ahead of him wouldn't move to the right-hand lane to allow him to pass. When stopped at the red light on Henry Road, the man got out of his car and walked to the car ahead of him, striking the hood with his fist before reaching in through the open driver's window and assaulting the driver.

A second motorist came to the aid of the driver, and a third motorist had the presence of mind to get the keys from the suspect's car so he wouldn't be able to flee.

The suspect took exception to this and turned his rage on the other motorists.

"In my nearly 10 years in policing, including five years on Highway Patrol, this ranks as one of the most unusual incidents I have encountered," said Halskov.

The suspect was found to have a blood/alcohol content that was twice the legal limit.

During the course of the investigation it was learned that the man was also on several prescription medications and that, in combination with alcohol, caused him to behave other than he normally would, said the Mountie.

"Police would like to thank those individuals who came to the aid of the victims and had the presence of mind to prevent the suspect from escaping by removing the keys from his car," said Halskov. "Undoubtedly, this situation could have been far worse had this individual continued to drive and caused a collision."

© Copyright (c) Canwest News Service

Quote Originally Posted by NJFFSA16 View Post

Hello FH Forums!
    HOLY CRAP!!! Hi Ed!!!!!! Congrats on the retirement.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Man wearing only a thong charged in burglary

Thursday, May 28, 2009 (05-28) 17:29 PDT Andersonville, Tenn. (AP)

Deputies said a man who was caught wearing a woman's thong was charged with a burglarizing a home. Chief Deputy Mark Lucas said deputies caught the 42-year-old man only wearing panties in an abandoned farm house. The officers followed his footprints from a nearby Andersonville home where a burglary had been reported.

The man was charged with aggravated burglary, auto burglary and vandalism on Monday and was held on a $65,000 bond in the Anderson County Detention Facility.

The Knoxville News Sentinel reported the man was released from the same jail May 21 after being arrested in Norris for property crimes.

Information from: The Knoxville News Sentinel, www.knoxnews.com

Folks in Andersonville always were a bit strange.

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Man wearing only a thong charged in burglary

Thursday, May 28, 2009 (05-28) 17:29 PDT Andersonville, Tenn. (AP)

Deputies said a man who was caught wearing a woman's thong was charged with a burglarizing a home. Chief Deputy Mark Lucas said deputies caught the 42-year-old man only wearing panties in an abandoned farm house. The officers followed his footprints from a nearby Andersonville home where a burglary had been reported.

The man was charged with aggravated burglary, auto burglary and vandalism on Monday and was held on a $65,000 bond in the Anderson County Detention Facility.

The Knoxville News Sentinel reported the man was released from the same jail May 21 after being arrested in Norris for property crimes.

Information from: The Knoxville News Sentinel, www.knoxnews.com

I never understood why you would want to do this anyway, and if its too cold for your dog, maybe you should move to a warmer climate or get a more suitable dog.

Faux paws in fashion could harm your dog

Clothing your pet can obscure body language and cause fights

By Corry Anderson-Fennell, Special to The Province

Why cover them up with garish sweaters, costumes and faux fur Santa suits?

That's a question Craig Naherniak often asks when he sees what appears to be a growing trend among Vancouverites to "pamper" their pets with cumbersome clothing. Not only are the trappings unnecessary, he says, but in the case of dogs they can actually put pets at risk.

"Dogs communicate mostly through body language, such as posture, stance and movement of their ears, eyes, tail, tongues and lips," says Naherniak, general manager of humane education for the BC SPCA. "When you put clothing on a dog, you're instantly inhibiting his ability to 'talk' to other dogs and people."

The results can be devastating. A miscommunication can lead to a conflict and, in a worst-case scenario, a dog fight.

Naherniak has seen it happen with his own dog. Readers may be familiar with Dylan, the friendly yellow Lab who shares the screen with Vancouver singer Sarah McLachlan in the BC SPCA's televised public service announcements.

But the day Naherniak took Dylan to a patio café and another dog in a raincoat happened by, he turned into a completely different dog.

"His reaction was immediate and out of character -- he pulled over the whole table and went right for the dog," Naherniak recalls. "Obviously I can't be sure, but I suspect the raincoat had something to do with it."

Naherniak says people don't always notice, but dogs are constantly signalling to each other. Most people are familiar with the play bow used to elicit play. But watch the signalling of a dog not interested in play. He may instead turn his head away and yawn or lick his lips to signal to the other dog to leave him alone.

Dogs also communicate by wagging their tails, twitching their ears, crouching and raising the hair on their backs, so it's easy to see how an apparently harmless argyle dog sweater with matching hat could be the catalyst for a fight, Naherniak says.

In the same way, docking a dog's tail and cropping his ears also makes it difficult for dogs to communicate.

"Unless you have a working service dog required to wear a uniform, or a hairless or short-haired breed needing protection from the cold, it's unnecessary and unfair to put clothing on your dog," says Naherniak. "You are instantly putting your dog at a disadvantage for communicating to other dogs and potentially putting yours and other dogs at risk - why would anyone want to do that?"

Anderson-Fennell is communications officer for the BC SPCA.

© Copyright (c) Canwest News Service

Thread Information