*******************CLICK HERE*****************

Quote Originally Posted by E40FDNYL35 View Post
    Weird But True
    Was that a "bump"?

You've gotta be kidding me!!!

This week's medical crisis: Hot dogs
    Posted Tue, Feb 23, 2010

By Jessica Ashley, Shine staff
    Our health news is clogged with new studies and startling findings on cancer, obesity, malaria, superfoods, heart disease. And now, the American Academy of Pediatricians is calling for a redesign of hot dogs.

If you're like me, your first thought is how a hot dog can possibly be a hot dog if it looks any different. And then, if you are a parent, you will recall how you've been scared to death that giving your child a hot dog will surely lead to Heimlich panic or worse.

Really, this fear is not unfounded. USA Today reports that 10,000 children under the age of 14 are treated in the emergency room every year after choking on food. Sadly, a new statement in Pediatrics says that up to 77 of those kids will die. They also assess that 17% of asphyxiations due to food can be blamed on hot dogs.

Because of these statistics, the AAP is asking food makers to address the size, shape, and texture of hot dogs to make them more safe and less likely to become wedged in a child's throat.

Some people have questioned whether warning labels are necessary for hot dogs and other foods that children can easily choke on. In response, Janet Riley, the president of the National Hot Dog & Sausage Council (let's be honest: it's an un-funny issue but I'd love to get a hold of about 10,000 of her business cards), says that about half of hot dog labels already include choking-prevention information and that educating parents and caregivers is the best way to address these concerns.

The retooling Riley suggests is one she used for her own children: "As a mother who has fed toddlers cylindrical foods like grapes, bananas, hot dogs and carrots, I 'redesigned' them in my kitchen by cutting them with a paring knife until my children were old enough to manage on their own."

The FDA will review the AAP's statement as well. In the meantime, I do agree it is scary that so many children have choked (especially to the point of death) on a food that is so much a part of American culture. I also think it is pretty concerning that hot dogs, not exactly the epitome of health and body-developing nutrition, are on kids' plates and high-chair trays so often.

I agree that perhaps hot dogs should be reexamined, but I'm also buying pediatrician and author of Feeding Baby Green Alan Greene's statement that we need to look outside the bun as well.

"The last thing we need is to redesign candy and junk food with cool shapes, so we can give them to kids even younger," Greene said.

To that, I toast my organic soda.

Ok, pierced ears, nose, those have been done for centuries. Pierced lips, eyebrows, other things, well, that's just individual preferences but this is taking it kinda out there.
    Last edited by firecat1; 04-04-2010 at 06:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by firecat1 View Post
    Ok, pierced ears, nose, those have been done for centuries. Pierced lips, eyebrows, other things, well, that's just individual preferences but this is taking it kinda out there.
    EEEWWWW>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

We have a Senator here that wants to outlaw SALT in cooking at restaurants.....

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I guess she REALLY likes her ring?
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Quote Originally Posted by pasobuff View Post
    We have a Senator here that wants to outlaw SALT in cooking at restaurants.....
    Talk about wasting taxpayer's money!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

[QUOTE=firecat1;1149852]You've gotta be kidding me!!!

Really, this fear is not unfounded. USA Today reports that 10,000 children under the age of 14 are treated in the emergency room every year after choking on food. Sadly, a new statement in Pediatrics says that up to 77 of those kids will die. They also assess that 17% of asphyxiations due to food can be blamed on hot dogs.

Crap, in addition to worring about how much rat feces and hair was in hot dogs, now I got to worry about choking too!!

Default Harbingers of Doom?

Giant "Earthquake Fish" Spook Japanese
    Source: CBC News
    Posted: 03/09/10 3:32PM

Rare, deep-sea Oarfish have been washing ashore, and they've got ecologists and superstitious fishermen worried.

Oarfish live in the depths of the ocean, surfacing infrequently when they are sick or damaged. In Japan, it is believed the appearance of Oarfish means an earthquake is imminent. Since November, over 19 of the rare fish have washed up on the shores of Japan. The animal is thought to be the origin of ancient mariner myths of sea serpents.

The Oarfish is traditionally known as a messenger fish from the sea gods, and its tidings are usually grim. The fish can grow up to five metres in length and are usually found at depths of 1,000 feet or more. Long and slender with a dorsal fin that runs the length of itís body, the fish resembles a kind of steam-rolled snake.

According to folklore, the fish will come ashore and beach itself to warn of an impending earthquake and there are scientific theories that bottom-dwelling fish may very well be susceptible to movements in seismic fault lines and act in uncharacteristic ways in advance of an earthquake Ė but experts here are placing more faith in their constant high-tech monitoring of the tectonic plates beneath the surface.

Considering an Oarfish is almost as big as a stergeon....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Dutch nurses' union Care does not include sex

Reuters March 12, 2010 6:02 AM

AMSTERDAM - A union representing Dutch nurses will launch a national campaign on Friday against demands for sexual services by patients who claim it should be part of their standard care.

The union, NU'91, is calling the campaign "I Draw The Line Here", with an advert that features a young woman covering her face with crossed hands.

The union said in a statement on Thursday that the campaign follows a complaint it had received in the last week from a 24-year-old woman who said a 42-year-old disabled man asked her to provide sexual services as part of his care at home.

The young woman witnessed some of the man's other nurses offering him sexual gratification, the union said. When she refused to do the same, he tried to dismiss her on the grounds that she was unfit to provide care.

"This type of action is not part of the job responsibilites of carers and nurses," NU'91 said.

The case has been reported to police, the union added.

© Copyright (c) Reuters

Default Eeewwwwwww or maybe Mooooooo???

Bovine tweets reveal an udder world

Cows are going (a)Twitter over media project

By Sharon Hill, Canwest News Service March 19, 2010

Even cows are tweeting now.

If your tweeting friends aren't interesting enough, you can follow a dozen lactating bovines on Twitter and read their teat tweets after they've been milked by a robot.

"As far as we know they're the only cows tweeting," said former LaSalle and Windsor resident Marcel O'Gorman who is behind the University of Waterloo's critical media lab project.

The tweeting cows are poking fun at the popular Twitter network and are meant to push people to think about where their food comes from and the high-tech nature of farming.

"Hey human, I just pumped out 9.3 kg for your pleasure. Show me some love," says a recent tweet of dairy cow Attention Please, referring to her milk output.

The cow at Buttermine Farms near Woodstock, Ont., has more than 2,000 tweets since the project began in December and seems to be able to pump out eight to 13 kilograms of milk per robotic milking. {459 oz or 29lbs}

It's obviously impossible for the hoofed animals to tweet without the aid of a computer, but by approaching the robotic milker, the cows do trigger a tweet.

The Holstein cows -- they're the black and white ones -- have radio frequency ID tags that tell the computer whether the cow is ready for milking and the computer records how much, how fast and even which teat pumped out milk the fastest. The actual milking data is added to a variety of pre-written messages that are rotated in the tweets.

The messages in the Teat Tweet Dairy Diary are the work of O'Gorman and Ron Broglio, a visiting artist researcher to the critical media lab, which does projects to explore the impact of technology on society and the human condition.

"It kind of brings up the most inane extent to which Twitter can go, which is how insanely mundane Twitter can be," O'Gorman said.

"You have people who are Twittering their daily ridiculous, silly activities. You have cows Twittering too. Maybe what the cows are Twittering is more important."

A cow in line for milking could generate "That robot still won't let me in there. What is it thinking? I'll explode!" Sometimes the tweets say "Vote for Nixon" or quote poetry from Virgil as the computer adds their milking stats.

O'Gorman, a 39-year-old associate English professor who attended the University of Windsor, is the founder and director of the University of Waterloo's critical media lab.

He says the project considers how technology changes our perception of animals.

"Think of the dairy cows," O'Gorman explains.

"We have this very romantic kind of understanding of what a dairy farm is all about. People have this general idea that the farmer gets up at five in the morning, trudges out to the barn with a pail and milks the cows."

People are shocked to learn a robotic arm attaches the milking machine to the udder.

Kingsville dairy farmer Bernard Nelson does start milking his cows at 5 a.m. but he connects his milking machine by hand to the udders and the machine does the rest.

About one per cent of Ontario's 4,200 dairy farms have robotic milkers.

"I think it's a great idea," Nelson said of tweeting cows.

"Anything to get people interested in agriculture."

Chris Vandenberg, the 28-year-old dairy farmer in Brant County who agreed to pick 12 of his 70 cows to go online, said he'd like to see the tweets used in schools. He thought the idea strange at first, but said it's a new way to convey information to the public about the technology farmers use every day.

"There's still people out there that think milk comes from the store," Vandenberg said.

Vandenberg is still in the barn six or seven hours a day caring for the herd in other ways while the cows are free to be milked when they choose or head to automated feeding or grooming areas.

The Teat Tweet (www.teattweet.net) comes out of the University of Waterloo's critical media lab.

The dairy drama will last a year and will update followers even if a bovine is headed to become hamburger.

So far Vandenberg isn't tweeting. "My cows use it way more than I do."

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/news/to...#ixzz0icxjM75u

Question

News Weird

Woman shaved private parts while driving: police

Charged after car crash

By QMI Agency

Last Updated: March 9, 2010 12:36pm

Don't text while you drive. Don't shave while you drive. And definitely don't shave your privates while you drive. That's the lesson learned by a Florida woman who was charged in a crash that police say happened because she was giving herself a bikini trim while driving.

According to the Florida Highway Patrol, the 37-year-old woman was rushing to meet her boyfriend in Key West and wanted to be ready for the visit.

Police say her ex-husband took the wheel from the passenger seat so the woman driver could finish shaving.

That's when her car slammed into the back of a pickup. Two people in the pickup suffered minor injuries. The woman and her ex in the car were uninjured.

"If I wasn't there, I wouldn't have believed it,Ē Trooper Gary Dunick told the local newspaper, The Citizen.

Police told the newspaper the woman had been convicted of drunk driving the day before and she had her licence suspended and her car was ordered impounded.

She was charged with driving with a revoked licence, reckless driving, leaving the scene of a wreck with injuries and driving with no insurance.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Considering an Oarfish is almost as big as a stergeon....
    " 'At's not an 'ore,mate.'At's me fish!"

Forum Member

"She's got a nose ring,and pierced things,Lord she looks like she fell in a tackle box..."
    "Beauty's in the Eyes of the Beerholder

Forum Member

Things like this are why I make my own sausage and hunt and grow most of my own food.I might not know what the critter ate before I came along to harvest it but at least I know the guy that cleaned and cooked it washed his hands before doing so.

[QUOTE=donethat;1156300]
    You've gotta be kidding me!!!

Crap, in addition to worring about how much rat feces and hair was in hot dogs, now I got to worry about choking too!!

I know the guy that cleaned and cooked it washed his hands before doing so.
    Are you REALLY sure about that part??????
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

March 30, 2010 -- A second major storm in less than a month continues to drench the Tri-State area as meteorologists predict "very dangerous'' flooding Tuesday in the Northeast and the wettest March on record in some places.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Quote Originally Posted by E40FDNYL35 View Post
    March 30, 2010 -- A second major storm in less than a month continues to drench the Tri-State area as meteorologists predict "very dangerous'' flooding Tuesday in the Northeast and the wettest March on record in some places.
    Heard up to 7 INCHES of rain for the East Coast/RI area......

Thread Information