Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 156 of 162 FirstFirst ... 56106146153154155156157158159 ... LastLast
Results 3,101 to 3,120 of 3230

Thread: Weird But True

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by pasobuff View Post
    Heard up to 7 INCHES of rain for the East Coast/RI area......
    Ya, but "7 INCHES" by who's standard? Male or female?
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Ya, but "7 INCHES" by who's standard? Male or female?
    Or by fisherman standards???
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Default I Had A Garbage Truck Back Into Me Once. That Was No Fun

"I screamed bloody murder and I thought I was going to die": Backhoe backs onto car

By Dan MacLennan, Canwest News Service March 31, 2010 9:02 AM

CAMPBELL RIVER — The score was John Deere backhoe 1, Toyota Corolla zero, in the first face off between construction and public vehicles on the Highway 19A upgrade project Friday.

The $13.5 million project between Hilchey and Rockland roads is closed to all traffic with the exception of emergency vehicles, transit buses and local traffic. Megan Folster was part of that local traffic late Friday afternoon, approaching Simms Creek from the south in her Toyota, just behind a northbound backhoe.

"He was in front of me and then he stopped really quickly and just started to reverse," she said at the scene. "I had no time to do anything."

So how does it feel to have the business end of a backhoe plowing a furrow through the hood of your car on it's way towards the windshield and your face?

"I thought I was going to die," Folster said. "I screamed bloody murder and I thought I was going to die. Even when it stopped, I got out of the car really quickly because I thought he was going to keep going.

"Oh my God. It was insane."

Damage to the car was extensive, but Folster was unhurt.

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

I think I'll stick with the English version...
    Last edited by firecat1; 06-08-2010 at 02:33 PM.

Default 42

- In Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, 42 is the number from which all meaning ("the meaning of life, the universe, and everything") could be derived.
    A BBC radio script based on Adams' book contains the following lines:

("Cave man" lays out following sentence in Scrabble stones: "What do you get if you multiply six by nine?")

Arthur: Six by nine? Forty-two? You know, I've always felt that there was something fundamentally wrong with the Universe.
    (Faint and distant voice Base thirteen!

For the literal-minded and those unfamiliar with terms like "base thirteen," this is a number system in which the number 10 is equivalent to our more familiar decimal 13. A base-13 number 42, therefore, is the same as four 13s plus 2, or decimal 54. So "six by nine" (six times nine) or decimal 54 is, in base 13, 42. For the mystically inclined, 42 in base 13 is the same as 110110 in binary (base 2). This could mean almost anything, and many Adams fans have spent untold hours discovering all of the places where the number "42" pops up. For example, there are many mentions of the number in the Book of Revelation. Others have made a game of finding 42s, such as these:

The angle at which light reflects off of water to create a rainbow is 42 degrees.

Two physical constants in the universe are the speed of light and thediameter of a proton. It takes light 10 to the minus 42nd power seconds to cross the diameter of a proton.

The sum of the ordinal alphabetic positions of the initials (SPG) for Stan (P.) Gibilisco, an oft-published science and technology writer, is equal to 42 (S=19, P=16, G=7).

A barrel holds 42 gallons.
    (It should be noted that all of these 42s are base 10, not base 13.)

CONTRIBUTORS: Peter Minearo and Mike Smith
    LAST UPDATED: 03 Apr 2007

Now you know!

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post

- In Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, 42 is the number from which all meaning ("the meaning of life, the universe, and everything") could be derived.
    A BBC radio script based on Adams' book contains the following lines:

("Cave man" lays out following sentence in Scrabble stones: "What do you get if you multiply six by nine?")

Arthur: Six by nine? Forty-two? You know, I've always felt that there was something fundamentally wrong with the Universe.
    (Faint and distant voice Base thirteen!

For the literal-minded and those unfamiliar with terms like "base thirteen," this is a number system in which the number 10 is equivalent to our more familiar decimal 13. A base-13 number 42, therefore, is the same as four 13s plus 2, or decimal 54. So "six by nine" (six times nine) or decimal 54 is, in base 13, 42. For the mystically inclined, 42 in base 13 is the same as 110110 in binary (base 2). This could mean almost anything, and many Adams fans have spent untold hours discovering all of the places where the number "42" pops up. For example, there are many mentions of the number in the Book of Revelation. Others have made a game of finding 42s, such as these:

The angle at which light reflects off of water to create a rainbow is 42 degrees.

Two physical constants in the universe are the speed of light and thediameter of a proton. It takes light 10 to the minus 42nd power seconds to cross the diameter of a proton.

The sum of the ordinal alphabetic positions of the initials (SPG) for Stan (P.) Gibilisco, an oft-published science and technology writer, is equal to 42 (S=19, P=16, G=7).

A barrel holds 42 gallons.
    (It should be noted that all of these 42s are base 10, not base 13.)

CONTRIBUTORS: Peter Minearo and Mike Smith
    LAST UPDATED: 03 Apr 2007

Now you know!
    Just in case you were confused:

Narrator: There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
    There is another theory which states that this has already happened.[4]

Question

Ok, I heard this on the news this morning, but they did not indicate that this event took place almost a year ago....

Ga. man who left jail for cigarettes gets 20 years
    (AP) – 19 hours ago

WOODBINE, Ga. — Authorities say an inmate who broke out of jail, then returned after stealing 14 packs of cigarettes, has been sentenced to 20 years.

Prosecutors told The Florida Times-Union inmate Harry Jackson, 26, escaped his cell at the Camden County Jail last year and went to the exercise yard to retrieve cigarettes he had expected would be tossed over a fence.

They say that when the contraband wasn't there, Jackson scaled the fence, broke a window at a convenience store and grabbed cigarette packs only to be arrested upon his return.

Jackson pleaded guilty to burglary and escape charges Monday. Prosecutors say he had been jailed on charges including driving with a suspended license. His lawyer, William Ashe, didn't immediately return a call seeking comment.

Copyright © 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

from: http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/Commun/...ng.asp?id=6080

Firefighter on Ice

Private Kyle Croxall is a future firefighter in the CF and is completing his on-the-job training at CFB Kingston’s Fire Prevention Office.During his spare time, Pte Croxall loves to play hockey and is a member of the base hockey team. And he has competed in three Crashed Ice finals, finishing third at last year’s championships in the city of Québec.

Pte Croxall has trained hard for the 2010 competition.

What is the sport of Crashed Ice? It’s a sport that combines hockey and downhill skiing. Competitors, wearing skates and hockey equipment, zip down a bumpy, curved 565-metre track over 56 vertical metres in heats of four. Along the course, the athletes navigate jumps, drops and tight turns, reaching speeds of more than 70 km/h.

Sibling rivalry reared its head March 20 in the city of Québec when Pte Croxall and his brother, Scott, both competed in the fifth annual Red Bull Crashed Ice event, when 120 competitors fought to be named the sport’s world champion.

More than 120 000 fans saw 64 men and 16 women hurl along the ice track that wound through the streets of Old Québec.

Pte Croxall’s performance was superlative this year. Not only did he qualify in every preliminary race, but his desire and drive helped him finish first in the final race, ahead of the current world champion from Germany. Scott Croxall finished third.

“Competing against my little brother has been amazing,” read a statement from Pte Croxall released by race organizers. “He took the third place spot that I had last year and I couldn’t be prouder of him. If he beat me, I wouldn’t have cared. I’d just be so proud of him, like he is for me.”

Pte Croxall will be starting his QL3 Firefighter in August 2010 and hopes to participate in the race again next year.His goal will be to finish first in world standings.

I caught that and a little footage on the news recently - looks even more dangerous that the ski-cross!.....WOW.....ski-cross meets speed skating meets hockey!

Beard Competition Gets Hairy in Germany
    Wednesday April 7, 2010

Almost any man can grow a few whiskers. I know, because I once grew a few whiskers, and ended up with half a mustache.

But hard as I try, I'll never grow a beard or mustache as memorable as the ones you'll find in a facial hair competition like the one that took place recently in Germany at the 25th Garmisch-Partenkirchen Beard Championships.
    Last edited by firecat1; 06-08-2010 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by firecat1 View Post
    Beard Competition Gets Hairy in Germany
    Wednesday April 7, 2010

Almost any man can grow a few whiskers. I know, because I once grew a few whiskers, and ended up with half a mustache.

But hard as I try, I'll never grow a beard or mustache as memorable as the ones you'll find in a facial hair competition like the one that took place recently in Germany at the 25th Garmisch-Partenkirchen Beard Championships.
    Looks like St Nicolas got his fingers stuck in the light socket while loading up the stockings.....

Woman accepts 'Village Idiot' award for hair blaze

Monday, April 12, 2010(04-12) 17:57 PDT STORY, Ind. (AP)

A woman whose hair caught fire when her hairspray-coated follicles ignited as she lit a cigarette is now a southern Indiana town's reigning "Village Idiot." Dani Hamm earned the honorary title this month by getting the most votes from regulars at the Story Inn, a restaurant and bar about 15 miles east of Bloomington where she's a bartender.

The title awarded every April comes with a $100 bar tab at the rural inn.

Hamm was driving to work in February when she lit up a cigarette and then heard a "whoosh" as her hair ignited.

She wasn't injured because she used her hands to douse her hair, which she had coated with a liberal layer of hairspray.

Default Oh DAM it!

Alberta's huge beaver dam sparks media buzz
    Last Updated: Wednesday, May 5, 2010 | 1:57 PM ET Comments167Recommend175CBC News

British and American media are buzzing about the world's largest beaver dam, which is in northern Alberta and was first found using Google Earth in 2007.

The dam on the southern edge of Wood Buffalo National Park is about 850 metres long. It's common for beaver dams in Canada to reach 500 metres in length.

Park officials said the dam is in an inaccessible part of the park just south of Lac Clair, about 190 kilometres northeast of Fort McMurray.

Biologists estimate the dam would have taken at least 20 years to build. It is visible in NASA satellite imagery from 1990.

The dam first jumped into the global spotlight a few years back.

"[Beavers] are one of the few species that really leave a footprint on the Earth that is visible from satellite," ecologist Jean Thie told CBC News in an interview in 2008.

Thie said he discovered the dam while scanning satellite images for signs of climate change.

The previously reported largest beaver dam was a 652-metre structure in Three Forks, Mont., Thie said.

Angry THANKS but NO Thanks

Canadian working women campaign for 25-hour day

By Ashleigh Patterson, Reuters May 18, 2010 11:03 AM

Toronto - Ever feel like there aren't enough hours in the day? A group of time-challenged Canadian women are lobbying for a 25-hour clock.

Jessie Behan, president and founder of the 25th Hour Coalition which is group of Canadian women who have changed to a longer day, said the struggle for women to maintain work-life balance motivated her to research the body's natural circadian rhythms.

"A bunch of my girlfriends are having kids, getting married, and I was seeing the insanity of juggling all that when you're a working woman," she told Reuters.

"Women like myself are sick of living their lives by a 24-hour clock when studies have shown that they're naturally set to a 25-hour clock."

A 2007 study by Charles Czeisler, a Harvard professor of sleep medicine, found that a switch to longer days could be beneficial, especially for frequent travelers, shift workers, astronauts and those who experience trouble sleeping or waking.

In a similar study published in 1999, Czeisler showed that the body's natural clock, or circadian rhythms, averages 24 hours and 11 minutes in both young and older people.

The transition from university student in Montreal to working woman in Toronto led Behan to want more time, but it was the thought of planning her pending nuptials that changed the want into a must-have.

Behan, who has been practicing the time shift for more than three weeks, adds an extra 30 minutes to each 12-hour cycle, allowing her to gain an extra hour of productivity.

"Now I have time to plan my wedding a bit more. It's extra padding. It's only four per cent more time everyday but it adds up," she said, noting the extra hour has afforded her the time to rebuild her deck and begin to teach herself Mandarin.

The current 360-degree clock has 720 minutes, giving each minute 0.5 degrees, she explains. With the new 25-hour day, 30 minutes is added to each 12-hour period making each minute 0.48 degrees.

While still a relatively small movement, the 25th Hour Coalition has 160 Facebook members, Behan is hoping for large changes.

"The goal is to get as many women on board; there is no harm in just trying it out and seeing. If it gets big, maybe the government will decide to standardize it."

Behan is quick to silence detractors, pointing out the manipulation and measurement of time has been evolving throughout history — most notably, the current system of daylight savings time.

"Weekends were invented in 1732. The British prime minister just wanted to go hunting so that's how Saturdays evolved," she said.

A recent online survey by Reader's Digest, which included 150 people in each of the 13 countries, suggests it's not just Canadians looking for longer days. Readers were asked "what would you do with an extra hour" if given a choice between sleep, work, exercise and family time.

In Spain, half of respondents said they would like an extra hour in the day to devote to family time. The same was found for respondents in Brazil, the U.S. and Britain, who chose family time over sleep, which came in at a close second.

Only in India did work top the list with 50 per cent of respondents claiming they could use an extra hour at the office.

© Copyright (c) Reuters

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Typical woman mindset. Turn the world's time keeping for 6 billion people upside down because a few of them have PMS.

Default Gotta Like the Wording?

Evening blaze claims mobile home in Shawnigan Lake park
    others also read...
    Cowichan News Leader Pictorial

By Peter Rusland - Cowichan News Leader Pictorial
    Published: May 18, 2010 1:00 PM
    Updated: May 18, 2010 1:00 PM

Investigation continues into the exact cause Monday night’s fire at Shawnigan Lake’s Burnum Mobile Home Park.

Fire chief Brad Kornelson said there were no injuries during the 10:37 p.m. blaze believed to have started in a shed before spreading to a nearby mobile home.

“The shed was fully engulfed when we got there. Then it spread to the attic of the home.”

A male in the home escaped unharmed from the insured mobile home.

Kornelson’s crew protected nearby homes while snuffing the fire that toasted the shed.
    The mobile home sustained smoke and water damage, plus fire damage to its attic area, the chief explained.

Kornelson’s proud of how quickly his 18 firefighters reached the scene to battle the testy blaze until it was knocked down about two hours later.

“Mobile home fires are challenging because they can go up so fast, and they’re so close to neighbouring units,” he said.

Man bites man in fight over dogs, NY officials say

Monday, May 24, 2010 (05-24) 18:04 PDT New City, N.Y. (AP)

It wasn't quite man-bites-dog, but there were men and there were dogs and there was biting. A sheriff's office said Monday that one man bit another during a fight over a couple of dogs at a park in suburban New York City. Rockland County sheriff's Capt. William Barbera said two dog owners got into it Sunday night. One didn't like the way their pets were playing at a dog park in New City, about 30 miles north of New York.

Barbera said that a third man tried to break up the fight and that one of the combatants bit him on the wrist. He said that no one has been arrested but that the case is still being investigated.

Default MythBusters Did Similar

Sweet! Mainers make 'rocket car' with Mentos, soda

Friday, May 28, 2010 (05-28) 06:55 PDT Buckfield, Maine (AP)

The guys from Maine who became online celebrities by creating geysers from Mentos candies and Diet Coke say they have harnessed that power to create a "rocket car."

The contraption created by Fritz Grobe and Stephen Voltz of Buckfield features a utility trailer on the back and a modified girl's bike at the front.

They're offering a teaser of their invention on their website. The full video directed by Rob Cohen of "The Fast and the Furious" will debut online Tuesday.

Grobe tells the Sun Journal newspaper that their latest invention uses Coke Zero and has been dubbed "The Fizzy and the Furious."

The two, dressed in lab coats and goggles, became Internet celebrities four years ago with their "experiments" that created geysers by dropping Mentos candies into bottles of Diet Coke.

Online:

www.eepybird.com/

Red face

NHL team seeking help to flush Pa. arena's toilets

Tuesday, June 1, 2010 (06-01) 10:00 PDT Pittsburgh (AP)

The Pittsburgh Penguins are looking for 250 students to help with an important task and there's only one major requirement: You must know how to flush a toilet.

Construction is near completion on the NHL team's new arena, the Consol Energy Center. But like with any new arena or stadium, officials need to simultaneously flush all the toilets and urinals to make sure everything is working. The Penguins are calling the June 10 event the "Student Flush," a spinoff of their popular ticketing program known as "Student Rush."

Students already involved in the ticketing program can enter for a chance to win. Students must be 18 or older to participate in the flush-apalooza.

In all, there will be 400 flushers, including some construction officials, on hand that day.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz0piOSye5V

Kinda kuul.

Mass. teacher finds 1792 document in classroom

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 (06-08) 06:19 PDT Peabody, Mass. (AP)

Michelle Eugenio, a fourth-grade teacher in Peabody, Mass., found the yellowed sheet of paper two weeks ago. Dated April 1792 and protected by plastic, it appears to document the payment of a debt by a Vermont man named Jonathan Bates.

Peabody Historical Society President Bill Power verified the paper's authenticity. He tells The Salem News he was thrilled with the discovery.

No one knows how the paper ended up at Peabody's Center School or how long it has been there.

Bates served in the Continental Army in 1780 and died in 1808 at age 63. He's buried in Williamstown, Vt.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz0qGod3O41

Thread Information