Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 159 of 162 FirstFirst ... 59109149156157158159160161162 LastLast
Results 3,161 to 3,180 of 3230

Thread: Weird But True

RP magazine Issue 35 8/9/11

In Australia firefighter took 40 minutes to bring a blaze under control at a house in Burleigh Waters on the Gold Coast after the elderly resident put her pyjamas in the microwave to warm them up.

Dear god I hope I never get that senile!
    It's not the destination, but the journey that matters.

Stay safe

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryJane69 View Post
    RP magazine Issue 35 8/9/11

In Australia firefighter took 40 minutes to bring a blaze under control at a house in Burleigh Waters on the Gold Coast after the elderly resident put her pyjamas in the microwave to warm them up.

Dear god I hope I never get that senile!
    Hahahahaha. Thats as bad as a strucuture fire I attended 25 December, 2000. I was on my way home from a Base Duty Watch when the page came through at around 0730. Paged for a chimney fire. Seems the family was enjoying their Christmas gift opening, and were stuffing the fireplace with the wrappings. Well that caused the chimney fire, but what made it worse was they tried to stuff sleeping bags down the flue to snuff it out.... that caused the room to fill with smoke. That was when we got paged out.

Sadly, Age had nothing to do with this incident. Fortunately no one was hurt, except pride, and only minor smoke damage to the home. Thanks in part, I think because the living room was a vaulted ceiling design.

Just heard this on the radio. It was recorded from a call yesterday (5 Sep):

Radio: We spoke with this caller yesterday. "How you doing out there Brian?"

Brian (is an old guy): "Well this has not been a good year."

Radio: "Oh? Why is that?"

Brian: "Last weekend, my house burned down. Right to the ground."

Radio: "WOW! Sorry to hear that Brian."

Brian: "Ya. I woke up in the middle of the night. The house was full of smoke. I managed to find the phone, and remembered that you have to include the area code when dialling, so I dialled 705-911. No one answered. I kept trying, and eventually I stuck my rotary dial phone through the window and kept trying. Eventually the phone cord burned through. By the time emergency services showed up, the house had burned to the ground."

NOTE: Ontario moved to 10 digit dialling about a year ago...... but this of course did not affect 911 dialling services.

Just damn...
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post

Brian: "Ya. I woke up in the middle of the night. The house was full of smoke. I managed to find the phone, and remembered that you have to include the area code when dialling, so I dialled 705-911. No one answered. I kept trying, and eventually I stuck my rotary dial phone through the window and kept trying. Eventually the phone cord burned through. By the time emergency services showed up, the house had burned to the ground."

NOTE: Ontario moved to 10 digit dialling about a year ago...... but this of course did not affect 911 dialling services.
    The punch line is a bit weak... oh wait, was this for real?
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    The punch line is a bit weak... oh wait, was this for real?
    Truth on all counts. Apparently the caller is a "regular", who phones in periodically, as the DJs knew him by name. I have no reason to doubt the sincerity of the caller himself.

Again.... just damn...
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

We just moved to 10 digit dialing a few months ago. Doesn't seem to have been a problem with 911.

But then again, we were told 911.... is still 911.

Otherwise, I'm with PK.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Ya, the 10 digit dialling did not affect 911 dialling services, but it was not exactly "explained" as such. Just @ss-umed that everyone would figure that part out.

This year’s Cow Ex duct-taped together

By Ashley Degraaf - Cowichan News Leader Pictorial
    Published: September 07, 2011 4:00 PM

To take a strip from Canadian funny man Red Green, anything can be done with enough duct tape.

That’s why organizers of this year’s Cowichan Exhibition have added a Duct Tape Competition to their usual hobbies and crafts hall exhibits division.

“It’s not uncommon to have something different like that in a fair and we’ve already got more than a dozen entries,” Cow Ex executive director Shari Paterson said.

Island Tractor, Paterson said, is sponsoring the taped creations showdown, which could include sticky clothing items like dresses, coats and purses.

“We’ve already gotten a skirt,” Paterson said. “The items have to be at least 80 per cent duct tape and can be anything your imagination can think of.”

Also new on the docket for the 143rd edition of the Cowichan country fair is the Celebrity Milking Contest.

Cowichan Ex president Fred Oud’s gearing up to take on any well-wishers who think they can fill a bucket with milk before he can.

So far, only two challengers have stepped up — Island Tractor’s Daryl Forbes and Economic Development Cowichan’s Geoff Millar, Paterson said.

She figured she’d also give North Cowichan mayor Tom Walker a ring to see if he’d be up for the contest.

The milk-a-thon takes place Sunday at 11 a.m. in Ring 3.

Another new highlight could be the Zucchini Races, Paterson noted, with registration beginning Saturday at 11 a.m.

“Participants have to have an axel and two tires, and they can decorate their zucchini and name it and there are prizes for best name, people’s choice and for three different categories,” Paterson explained.

The races are being sponsored by Russell Farms Market and Garden Centre as well as the Private Forest Landowners Association, which will have a booth focused on this year’s exhibition theme “Trees of the Valley.”

“The PFLA booth will have lots of information about private managed forest land in B.C., seedling samples you can take home, a colouring contest for kids,” the Ex’s website reads.

Oud also confirmed a Chinese food vendor is back by popular demand.

“We’ve got a number of different vendors this year from last year and Chinese food is back, which is what people wanted.”

Oud’s also been eyeing this weekend’s weather forecast which promises to better than last year’s soggy conditions.

Despite Mother Nature’s blip last time around, organizers saw a record number 20,000 people pass through the gate.

And they expect the same, if not more, this year.

“Since last year, which was our grand opening at our new location, we’ve managed to have a facility that people are enjoying renting too and that’s keeping our head above water, quite frankly,” Oud said. “We’re really looking forward to this year’s fair because last year we had lots of huge expenses with wrapping up the building of the site.

“This year, hopefully, we generate some monies to improve the site and help the community with a facility that’s actually built for the community.”

A weekend with the Ex

Organizers of the 143rd Cowichan Exhibition are playing chicken of a sort, pecking away at the final details of this year’s edition.

Cow Ex president Fred Oud confirmed Tuesday the West Coast Amusements midway was readying to launch Thursday at 4 p.m. and will run through to Sunday at 7 p.m.

The fair grounds officially open to the public today at 8 a.m.

Gates close at 10 p.m. today and Saturday.

Sunday’s hours are from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Mellor Hall is also open for looky-loos Friday and Saturday 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. and Sunday from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Big River, a Johnny Cash tribute band, plays the Ex’s Big Stage Saturday at 8 p.m.

Animal entries, including cavies, rabbits, poultry, dairy goats, sheep, beef and dairy cattle, mini, light and heavy horses are judged through the weekend.

The cats and dogs and small animals pet show takes place Saturday at 10:30 a.m. and includes categories ‘Most colourful cat,’ ‘Happiest Dog,’ and ‘Most Unusual Small Animal.’

The popular Ex fixture, the Tractor Pull, hauls in Saturday at 10 a.m. with antique tractors going head to head first. It caps off Sunday at 1 p.m.

Field and garden produce, fruit, honey, home winemaking, flowers, domestic science, needle work, photography, fine arts, hobbies and crafts, your old treasures, spinning, weaving and bobbin lace events, plus 4-H club showcases are sprinkled all through the weekend activities.

Sheep to Shawl demonstrations take place Friday, Saturday and Sunday (10 a.m. to 8 p.m., except on Sunday, demonstrations close at 4 p.m.)

General Admission per day is $10 for adults, $8 for seniors (ages 65 and older), $6 for children (7 to 13 years old) and free for children under six.

A three-day pass is $23.

For more, contact organizers at 250-748-0822.

PHOTOCREDIT:
    Matt Brandsms milks a cow during last year’s Cowichan Exhibition. Cow Ex president Fred Oud is challenging Cowichan residents to beat him in a race to fill a milk bucket during this year’s fair. Andrew Leong/file
    -------

Kinda wish'n I was home again. sigh.....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Angler fishes out Minnesota woman's prosthetic leg

Associated Press August 26, 2011 06:59 AM Friday, August 26, 2011(08-26) 06:59 PDT Alexandria, Minn. (AP)

A woman who lost her prosthetic leg while swimming in a western Minnesota lake three years ago has been reunited with the limb thanks to an angler.

Beth Krohn was fishing last month on Lake Ida in Alexandria. She says her line kept snagging on something, and that she hoped it wasn't a dead body.

A KSAX-TV report (http://bit.ly/q1jrRF ) says her catch turned out to be a prosthetic leg belonging to Pam Riley of Morris.

Krohn returned the leg to Riley after tracking her down through a prosthetic limb manufacturer in Alexandria.

Krohn says she's proud of the catch, comparing it to going deer hunting and shooting the biggest buck.

Riley says she always wondered what someone would think if they saw a leg surfacing in a lake.
    ========

Apparently not so unusual after all.

The mystery of the lost prosthetic leg
    Published: August 10, 2011 2:00 PM
    Updated: August 10, 2011 4:39 PM

The universe was hard at work Monday, dealing the Karma card to a local diver and a Victoria man looking for his lost prosthetic leg.

Due to random, somewhat chance circumstances, Rob Boyce of Victoria retrieved his leg that sunk in the Cowichan River during a tubing trip.

Thanks to Cobble Hill’s James Walter’s summertime hobby, snorkeling and diving the drink, and certainly to fate, a tickled Boyce is now back to his day-to-day life in Victoria.

Boyce had gone tubing Sunday with his girlfriend near the Skutz Falls area.

The two met up with some serious rapids that swept Boyce into a rock.

His prosthetic leg fell off and was lost in the current-stricken river bend.

And, after failed attempts to locate the $16,000 limb, Boyce was forced to carry on.

Meanwhile, 29-year-old Walter was gearing up for his weekend routine of plunging into the river, mostly to meet cool rocks, fish and other creatures, as well as collect tubers’ lost goods, including typical sun and reading glasses, cameras and car keys.

“Pretty much anything you can think of we’ve found at some time or another,” Walter said.

A prosthetic leg, however, is definitely the oddest item he’s swam across.

“There’s some dark humour in diving that if you ever found a body, that would be one of the scariest things,” he said.

For a split-second, that fear turned into a reality for Walter during Sunday’s swim.

“The first thing that came to my vision was this sandal covered bare foot…a realistic bare-looking foot kind of thing. Until I saw the aluminum piece attached to it, definitely your heart misses a couple beats.”

Walter, his buddy and his girlfriend were swimming around the Horseshoe Bend campsite area, “which is by the first set of rapids near the falls,” he said.

After snatching up Boyce’s lost leg, Walter quickly trucked it through the bush, as a group of boozing rowdies, who didn’t appear to be missing a leg, was now hanging out on the rocks on shore.

“I didn’t want anyone to really see, because it was just the partiers on the rocks there and it obviously wasn’t their leg and you could tell it had been there for a couple hours because of the algae that was starting to grow on it.”

When Walter got home that evening, he placed ads on UsedVictoria and emailed the Times Colonist in Victoria to track down the leg’s owner.

Meanwhile, a bothered Boyce was using social media network Facebook to search for leads.

“God damn it! If anyone finds a prosthetic leg going tubing down Cowichan River please let me know. Got flipped over a rock and bam it was gone. Heading back tomorrow to try to find it,” Boyce posted Sunday at 3:53 p.m.

Curious Times Colonist staffers followed up on Walter’s classified ad and because both Boyce and the TC had contacted the Duncan/North Cowichan RCMP detachment, the mystery of the missing prosthetic leg was solved.

“Of course the owner was thrilled,” North Cowichan/ Duncan RCMP Cpl. Kevin Day said, explaining an officer, after having received a call from the newspaper, got in touch with Boyce.

Karma kept rolling and eventually Walter and Boyce met at the Tim Hortons in Mill Bay.

Walter refused Boyce’s reward offer.

“Thank God there are still awesome people in this world. James Walter you are awesome…” Boyce posted on Facebook afterward.

“I knew it wouldn’t be very hard to find the owner, because I knew he’d be looking for it,” Walter said.

“But I’ve found lots of stuff and given lots of stuff back over the years and it’s not usually that quick.
    “It just worked out funny like that.”

This date (3 October) in history: {only because I heard the first couple on the radio earlier}

1945 - Elvis Presley performs in public for the first time - he was 10 yrs old.

1954 - Stevie Ray Vaughan was born

For you Sports Fans out there:

1947 - With only 1 out to go, Yank Floyd Beven gives up a double breaking his World Series no-hit bid, it scored 2 runs and he lost game

1920 - NFL (then American Pro Football Association) plays 1st games

Forum Member

I've got a book about the Merchant Marine in WWII that has an item about a Canadian Captain who went back into his ship to look for the ship's dog and her puppies while the crew was lowering the boats.
    He got caught when a mast fell and the crew left not realizing that he hadn't gotten off yet bt came back when he was missed after a head count.
    The Mate's boat came back for a look and had to disconnect his prosthetic leg to save him before the ship went down with the dogs still aboard.
    A few days later,he was in the hospital recovering from the exposure and a Royal Navy officer brought an early Christmas present which had been fished out by a Canadian corvette.Inside was his leg so he didn't have to muddle around on crutches until he could replace it.

Angler fishes out Minnesota woman's prosthetic leg...

A prosthetic leg, however, is definitely the oddest item he’s swam across....

“Of course the owner was thrilled,” North Cowichan/ Duncan RCMP Cpl. Kevin Day said, explaining an officer, after having received a call from the newspaper, got in touch with Boyce...

“But I’ve found lots of stuff and given lots of stuff back over the years and it’s not usually that quick.
    “It just worked out funny like that.”
    Last edited by doughesson; 10-05-2011 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Clarity

Forum Member

Well,for some people when faced with situations requiring quick and decisive action,their minds just go to ("golf") and they can't think of alternatives when their first course doesn't pan out.

Forum Member

The first rule of hand milking cows on cold days is to make sure that your hands are warm before grabbing the udders.Cows can kick like Al del Greico during the Super Bowl.
    BTDT.Got the scars.

This year’s Cow Ex duct-taped together

Published: September 07, 2011 4:00 PM

.....Cowichan Ex president Fred Oud’s gearing up to take on any well-wishers who think they can fill a bucket with milk before he can.

So far, only two challengers have stepped up — Island Tractor’s Daryl Forbes and Economic Development Cowichan’s Geoff Millar, Paterson said.

She figured she’d also give North Cowichan mayor Tom Walker a ring to see if he’d be up for the contest.

The milk-a-thon takes place Sunday at 11 a.m. in Ring 3.

PHOTOCREDIT:
    Matt Brandsms milks a cow during last year’s Cowichan Exhibition. Cow Ex president Fred Oud is challenging Cowichan residents to beat him in a race to fill a milk bucket during this year’s fair. Andrew Leong/file
    -------

Kinda wish'n I was home again. sigh.....

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    The first rule of hand milking cows on cold days is to make sure that your hands are warm before grabbing the udders.Cows can kick like Al del Greico during the Super Bowl.
    BTDT.Got the scars.
    That also pertains to ladies as well!!!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Some of us Western folks was at the Firefighter/Police Games in NYC:

look for the article: Fire fighters fought for hockey supremacy in the Big Apple

http://www.lookoutnewspaper.com/issu...1-10-03-40.pdf

There's a meme flying round the internet at the moment that tells you to add the last two digits of your birth year to the age you will turn on your birthday this year (2011, for any time travellers). The meme states that the answer will be 111 for everyone.

It's true. Try it.

93-year-old's pills seized by airport security

BY JACK KNOX, TIMES COLONIST OCTOBER 14, 2011
    Emily Curlew didn't protest much when airport security staff seized the 93-year-old's heart and thyroid medication.

After all, rules are rules, and Curlew, the widow of a Second World War pilot, is of that generation that accepts authority.

Her daughter, on the other hand, was fuming. Shawnigan Lake's Luree Dell-Bryan fired off a rocket to the Times Colonist: "Are we really this far gone as a nation where a 93-yearold grandmother, travelling from the hot bed of terrorism in Calgary to the other hot bed of terrorism, Victoria, for a family Thanksgiving needs to have her medication taken away from her and destroyed?"

Good question. Not a new one, but legitimate nonetheless.

What Curlew did was run afoul of the hand-luggage rules hurriedly rushed in after British-based terrorists were caught plotting to blow up airliners with liquid explosives in 2006.

Her particular sin, when flying to Vancouver Island to spend a couple of weeks with her children, was to try boarding her Calgaryto-Victoria flight last Tuesday with her medication sorted into one of those plastic pill organizers that elderly people use. No way, she was told. The pills should be in prescription containers with a name matching that on the ticket.

So security staff made Curlew travel without her medication. She then had to contact her doctor in Calgary and refill the prescriptions once on the Island.

That bugged Dell-Bryan. "I am so disappointed in where this country has gone and the way its citizens are being treated," she wrote.

"We do not want to end up living in a police state where reason, logic, compassion and respect for our seniors is taken away from us.

"How much of a risk does my mother present to airline traffic because she had her medication in a pill dispenser? It is challenging enough for seniors to travel alone without having to be embarrassed, humiliated and exposed to unnecessary and draconian rules."

Indeed, but it is one of those indignities that Canadians, as bovine as we are, have accepted without question over the past decade despite any real evidence that all this bureaucratic flailing in the name of security does anything other than fatten the fear industry. Does anyone really think the War on Terror will be won by seizing the heart pills from a 93-year-old former dance and music teacher?

Yet we dutifully accept rules that prohibit us from stuffing our carry-on luggage with, for example, mascara, maple syrup, yogurt or aerosol cheese strings. Fishing poles without hooks are OK, but rods with hooks must go with checked luggage. Small snow globes, yes, big snow globes, no. Drill bits and pool cues are verboten, while knitting needles and corkscrews are OK (as, oddly enough, are lawn darts, though presumably not the metal ones whose sale has been banned in Canada since 1989).

Passengers may be forgiven for not committing all this to heart. Last year, Postmedia News reported that up to 25 per cent of Canadian air passengers are forced to leave items behind before boarding.

(The remaining 75 per cent just suck in their guts when going through the full-body scanners.)

I spoke last year to an Israeli expert who scoffed at North American airport security measures. Our pattern of chasing yesterday's threat by throwing some form of mitigating technology at it is a waste of time and money, he said. So is the practice of shepherding passengers through static checkpoints in predictable locations and rummaging through their underwear in search of oversized snow globes. The Israelis focus instead on human contact, he said. They screen people, not seven-day pill organizers.

jknox@timescolonist.com

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

Firefighters take the reins of large animal rescue

By Charla Huber - Goldstream News Gazette
    Published: October 18, 2011 9:00 AM
    Updated: October 18, 2011 10:05 AM

If you need to calm a horse down quick, put a bra over its eyes and tampons in its ears.

This is just one technique firefighters learned last weekend at the large animal rescue course in Metchosin.

Volunteer firefighters learned to extract horses out of the mud, a fire or a car crash involving a horse trailer in the first large animal rescue course hosted in Metchosin. Fire departments from the south Island were invited.

“We do get various calls involving large animals,” said Metchosin fire Chief Stephanie Dunlop. “I thought it would be very realistic to the area.”

At last weekend’s course, firefighters didn’t strand animals in actual mud, but they did learn harnessing techniques to lead horses out of dangerous situations without injuring the animal or themselves.

If a horse were stuck in a muddy ditch or trapped in a building, it's more about calming and guiding the animal out, rather than yanking on it’s reigns.

“We would harness him and work with the horse to get him out,” Dunlop said. “We would help to pull while the horse jumps out.”

Although one might be hard pressed to find one in a barn, a nautical life jacket can be placed over a horse’s head to get it out a situation where its head could be injured by surrounding objects.

If a horse is already injured and bleeding “you can use diapers or maxi pads for the wound,” said Jennifer Woods, a livestock handing specialist and the course instructor. “If they are startled the horse won’t be easy to catch, they can freak out at any time.”

Metchosin volunteers have gear, such as portable panels and gates, that can help control large animals in emergency situations, but Dunlop noted that it’s best to have someone on scene familiar with whatever animal is in jeopardy, such as a horse.

“They can watch the horse’s breathing and ear positioning,” Dunlop said, explaining firefighter could then be alerted if a horse could spook or is under distress. “But the flight response is different for each animal.”

PHOTOCREDIT: Jennifer Woods, live stock handling specialist, demonstrates how a life jacket can be used to protect a horse's head while leading it out of danger. Charla Huber/News staff
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information