Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 162 FirstFirst ... 414849505152535461101151 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 3230

Thread: Weird But True

MembersZone Subscriber Firefighter1219's Avatar

This thread has officially reached 1000 replies now!
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

Thumbs up

Weird But True
    February 15, 2005 -- With over 67 pages and Total Postings of 1,001 and over 38739 views. This tread is Weird But True.
    Thanks to all:
    User Posts are from....
    NJFFSA16
    E40FDNYL35
    RspctFrmCalgary
    MalahatTwo7
    CaptainGonzo
    tanker5117
    emtbff927
    FlyingKiwi
    FDNY101TRUCK
    firefiftyfive
    EFD840
    CJMinick390
    Lewie1
    Lewiston2Capt
    DrParasite
    engine1321
    ffexpCP
    glowpop
    CaptainMikey
    historyjunkie
    PFire23
    E229Lt
    hwoods
    captstanm1
    GeorgeWendtCFI
    jsdobson
    CollegeBuff
    scfire86
    aklontz
    MFDExplorer51
    Weruj1
    BryanLoader
    CaptOldTimer
    Farley
    zippo99
    brubaker
    MIKEYLIKESIT
    DaSharkie
    ROOKIELZ
    Firefighter1219
    SteveDude
    Quigger
    Engine58
    clipper
    jcrash
    Resq14
    WESTeng1ineSIDE
    0ptical42
    nozzelvfd
    LeuitEFDems
    42VTExplorer
    Robertsc
    LadyCapn
    16Truck
    WannabeintheFD
    dfdNo9
    Medic162
    enginehouse2
    Anyway
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 02-15-2005 at 06:06 PM.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Default Re: Weird But True

WITH SPECIAL THANKS TO RAY FOR STARTING IT ALL WITH THIS!

Originally posted by E40FDNYL35
    July 30, 2003 -- A 90-year-old Oregon woman fed up with the cockroaches in her bedroom began roasting them alive with a portable blowtorch - and nearly burned her house down.
    Firefighters in Kenton raced to the home of Ona Bates to find flames pouring out. The home sustained $4,500 in damages.

"I've heard this one before. I don't know where they get the idea to do it," Fire Bureau spokesman Neil Heesacker told The Oregonian.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

February 16, 2005 -- An ambulance about to rush a seriously injured patient to the hospital didn't go anywhere — after traffic officers clamped its wheels for being illegally parked. And when stunned emergency workers at Dublin International Airport in Ireland tried to pay the $82 fine with a personal credit card, the cops refused to take it.
    Authorities have apologized.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Originally posted by E40FDNYL35
    February 16, 2005 -- An ambulance about to rush a seriously injured patient to the hospital didn't go anywhere — after traffic officers clamped its wheels for being illegally parked. And when stunned emergency workers at Dublin International Airport in Ireland tried to pay the $82 fine with a personal credit card, the cops refused to take it.
    Authorities have apologized.
    That reminds me of when My ambulance got a parking ticket while we are 89 (Avail at Cross Street Location) in Queens..sometime in 2000...oh yeah..we were IN the bus when the ticket agent wrote it...
    IACOJ Member

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Thumbs down It's a sad, sad day

It's Over: Bettman cancels NHL season

TSN.ca Staff with CP files

2/16/2005

From this moment on, the 2004-2005 NHL season will be marked with an asterisk and caption that reads "Season Cancelled."

A last-minute effort to put together a framework for a new collective bargaining agreement proved to be too little, too late on Wednesday as commissioner Gary Bettman officially called off the remainder of the 2004-2005 season.

"When I stood before you in September, I said NHL teams would not play again until our economic problems had been solved," Bettman said.

"As I stand before you today, it is my sad duty to announce that because that solution has not yet been attained, it no longer is practical to conduct even an abbreviated season. Accordingly, I have no choice but to announce the formal cancellation of play for 2004-05."

Bettman painted a picture of a league full of promise - but hamstrung by the last collective bargaining agreement. There was no animosity, only regret. In the absence of an agreement, the league simply ran out of time to play even a shortened schedule, he said.

The NHL is planning for the 2005-06 season, and will pursue more labour talks but Bettman warned the league is going to have to look at a "completely different economic model and it is going to have to have linkage (between revenue and player salary costs)."

"The best deal that was on the table is now gone," he added.

Bettman had given the Players' Association until 11am et Wednesday to accept the league's final offer, which featured a $42.5-million US salary cap. The union's counter-offer called for a $49-million salary cap. A publicized letter-writing campaign outlining the $6.5 million gap between both sides broke down late Tuesday night, prompting the league to send memos to its 30 teams saying the season would be cancelled.

"We weren't as close as people were speculating...We were still very far apart," Bettman said, noting that $6.5 million multiplied by 30 teams is close to $200 million.

The only other letter that came on Wednesday morning was a press release from the NHLPA saying it had scheduled its own news conference for 4pm et/1pm pt in Toronto.

"It's too bad...but at least we have an answer," Vancouver Canucks captain Markus Naslund told TSN. "It's too bad for us players that we can't be out there to perform but there's a bigger picture, too."

It's the first time a major professional league in North America has cancelled an entire season due to a work stoppage. A Stanley Cup champion has been crowned every year since 1893 with the exception of 1919, when the Finals were canceled after five games due to a flu epidemic.

Early Tuesday evening, Bettman made what he termed the NHL's "last effort" to resolve the lengthy labor dispute, raising the amount of the previous salary cap offer of $40 million in an attempt to reach a new CBA with the players.

In a letter to Goodenow, Bettman put forth a "take it or leave it" offer and requested a response prior to his news conference Wednesday afternoon. Goodenow responded with his own letter to Bettman in which he presented a deal that would institute a $49 million cap - $3 million lower than the union's previous offer - plus $2.2 million in benefits.

Goodenow's six-year proposal also called for a $25 million floor that each team could fall below twice during the term, a minimum player salary of $300,000, a scale of payroll taxes and a 55 percent player share of 2005 playoff revenue.

While Bettman's proposal called for a hard salary cap, Goodenow's plan allowed teams the opportunity to exceed the threshold by 10 percent - up to $53.9 million - twice during its duration, with a 150 percent tax as a penalty.

After months of haggling over the issue of a salary cap, both the NHL and union made unprecedented concessions late Monday night. The NHL removed the linkage of salaries to league revenues while presenting a proposal that included a $40 million cap to the union.

Doing something it vowed never to consider, the NHLPA in turn backed away from its hardline stance against a cap and made a counterproposal that featured a $52 million limit on team payrolls. The union's latest offering also included the 24 percent rollback on existing contracts it presented in December and more aggressive tax thresholds and tax rates on team payrolls.

Under Bettman's proposal, NHL teams would have to divide less than $45 million among 24 players and would not be able to exceed the threshold. By comparison, NBA teams have nearly $44 million to divide among 12-15 players and also enjoy exceptions which allow them to exceed the cap without penalty.

The commissioner took pains to say the differences between the league and NHL Players' Association executive director Bob Goodenow were not personal.

"Please stop fabricating this personality issue between Bob and me. It doesn't exist. We don't agree on a lot of things professionally but this isn't about Bob and this isn't about me. This is about the health of this game."

Bettman locked out NHL players at the start of the 1994-95 season, when the league's average salary was $572,000. It has more than tripled to $1.8 million.

The lockout reached its 154th day Wednesday. If an agreement was reached, Bettman said the league had in place a 28-game regular season followed by a playoff with 16 participants.

The work stoppage has been in effect since Sept. 15, when Bettman announced that the league would lock out its players following the expiration of the most recent agreement. He indicated that teams had lost $1.8 billion over the last 10 years, including $224 million in 2003-04. Bettman added that the owners needed "an enforceable, defined relationship between revenues and expenses," so that a team's ability to compete was not dependent upon its ability to pay.

Two-and-a-half months passed before the two sides agreed to meet in their first formal bargaining session since the lockout began. It was at that point that the players offered a 24-percent rollback in salaries as part of their proposal. Though Bettman said the union finally acknowledged the league's financial troubles, the offer was rejected by the league.

The two sides met again in January, this time in a much smaller setting without Bettman or Goodenow at the bargaining table. But after almost 10 hours of talks over two days, both sides continued to cite "philosophical differences."

On Jan. 27, the league put forth a framework for a proposal that included a team-by-team salary cap between $32-$42 million with no luxury tax and team payrolls linked to revenues at a rate of 54-percent. The NHLPA did not look favourably on the proposal.

With the deadline of the season being cancelled hanging over their heads, Bettman and Goodenow finally met again for two days in early February. Both sides reported no progress.

On Feb. 9, Bettman set a weekend deadline for getting a new deal in place or else the season would be cancelled, acknowledging for the first time that a formal announcement would take place rather than let the season fade away without recognition.

For those keeping count, 834 of the NHL's 1,230 games this season had already been wiped out by Wednesday.

"What we must do now is not about the present or the short-term needs of this season. Rather, it is about the future of our league and 30 teams," Bettman said.

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

sherri, how is that weird but true? probably belongs until the hockey thread
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

NO NHL HOCKEY IS Weird but True!!! IMHO

This is the first time a professional sport has canceled an entire season due to a labour dispute.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber Firefighter1219's Avatar

Hockey? We don't need no stinkin' hockey! Who really keep up with hockey, honestly?
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

February 17, 2005 -- A Princeton University student newspaper showed incredibly bad taste by publishing a list of the "Top 10 Holocaust movies I've never seen but would like to." The Nassau Weekly altered film titles like "Dude, Where's My Car?" "Weekend at Bernie's" and "Meet the Fockers" to "Dude, Where's My Family?" "A Week at Bergen-Belsen" and "Exterminate the Fockers."
    School officials dubbed the satire "undeniably offensive," and might discipline the paper's staff.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

February 18, 2005 -- Customers who purchased shoes made by a company named Goosebumps complained that with every step, it sounded as if they were passing wind. Turns out a chemical in the insole gel caused the problem. "They were whoopie cushions for the feet," said Bryan Thomas, boss of the Orlando, Fla., company. He's now suing the firm that supplied the chemical.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Expedition Turns into Blazer

SAN FRANCISCO
    SUV burns on Bay Bridge -- cigarette butt blamed
    Jaxon Van Derbeken, Chronicle Staff Writer

Friday, February 18, 2005

No ifs, ands or butts about it, Jonathan Fish learned an expensive lesson Thursday about the dangers of littering.

The 20-year-old San Francisco resident was cruising across the upper deck of the Bay Bridge at 10:40 a.m., smoking a cigarette. When he got near the Harrison Street off-ramp, he rolled down the window of his white 2004 Ford Expedition SUV and tossed out the butt, authorities said.

Instead of bounding along the pavement, however, the still-lit cigarette blew back in and set the interior of Fish's $30,000 SUV ablaze, he told police.

Black smoke filled the vehicle. Fish pulled over to the far left-hand lane about 100 feet from the Harrison Street exit and leaped from the Expedition -- leaving the SUV in neutral instead of park.

The flaming Expedition rolled driverless into a guardrail by the exit, where it crashed to a stop and burned to the frame.

California Highway Patrol officers and fire crews arrived and closed the off-ramp until 11:45 a.m., tying up traffic all the way back to the toll plaza. Fish had his hair singed but was otherwise unharmed.

Tossing a burning cigarette onto the road is a misdemeanor, and even though this particular cigarette never actually hit the road, Fish will probably be cited all the same, the CHP said. The fine could be as much as $1, 000.

"Obviously, this guy is fortunate that he wasn't a fatality and that he did not receive any more serious injuries than singed hair,'' CHP Officer Shawn Chase said.

February 19, 2005 -- Here's a new one in the annals of landlord-tenant eviction disputes. A landlord in Lanett, Ala., is accused of tossing a tear-gas grenade into a house he owns — in an apparent bid to get rid of his tenant. Landlord Joseph Hammond was arrested near his Georgia home — where officers reported finding material for building explosive devices.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

February 20, 2005 -- A couple of fired zookeepers are suing their former employer for some monkey business. The two women were caretakers for Koko, the famous sign-language-speaking gorilla in Woodside, Calif., and claim their boss routinely pressured them to expose their breasts for the 33-year-old female simian. They were told that if they "did not indulge Koko's nipple fetish, their employment with the Gorilla Foundation would suffer," the lawsuit alleges.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

February 21, 2005 -- Officials in Washington state have bought a gigantic shrink-wrap machine — to use for human bodies in case of a catastrophe. "You know, it's neat, but it's kind of creepy," said Bette Shultz, an emergency management coordinator. "It's one of those things you spend a lot of money for and hope you never have to use it."
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

February 22, 2005 -- A Norwegian family returned home from vacation to find their below-ground swimming pool gone. "This can't be, we thought. No one can steal a swimming pool," said Arild Nicolaysen, who discovered a big hole in place of the pool. But steal it they did, hauling off the steel reinforcements, plastic liner, skimming and filter systems, hoses and pipes.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) - A woman upset about an impending breakup with her boyfriend cut off the man's penis and flushed it down a toilet, police said.
    Utility workers recovered the severed member Sunday and surgeons reattached it.

Kim Tran, 35, was charged with first-degree assault, domestic violence and tampering with evidence. She was jailed at the Anchorage Jail with no bail set.

More Here

MembersZone Subscriber jsdobson's Avatar

Default More Anchorage News

Local NBC affiliate, KTUU, has reported there have been six other genital amputations since Lorena Bobbit (spelling?) made history with her husband John. Most interesting piece of information was of the six, two were also named Kim Tran (no relation to the woman in Anchorage) and a third woman's last name was Tran.

Way too weird....but true!
    BE SAFE
    Before Everything, Stop And First Evaluate

February 23, 2005 -- A Florida prosecutor in Key West was busted after he ran naked and drunk across a parking lot and hopped into the wrong car. Albert Tasker, 28, told cops he'd been boozing with pals and thought it would be funny to strip and run to a friend's car. But he hopped into the wrong vehicle, much to the distress of the woman in the vehicle. She called her boyfriend, who phoned police.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Sr. Information Officer NJFFSA16's Avatar

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) - Doctors have partially restored the
    sight of an 81-year-old Buddhist monk who accidentally glued his
    eyes shut when he mistook a tube of superglue for eye drops.
    The doctors at Angthong Hospital, 100 kilometers (60 miles)
    north of Bangkok, used a chemical solvent, acetone, to dissolve the
    glue in the monk's right eye, a hospital spokesman said Wednesday.
    The two-hour operation was done Tuesday.
    "His eye is not damaged, the right eye can see clearly after
    the operation and the doctors said the left eye also is not
    damaged," a hospital spokesman said.
    The monk, Phra Khru Prapatworakhun, who is the abbot of a temple
    in Angthong, was to have his left eye operated on Thursday, the
    spokesman said.

(Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Thread Information