Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Weird But True

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

August 13, 2005 --And then there was the man who showed up at a residents-only community pool in Broadview Heights, Ohio — in a woman's bikini. Despite his strange appearance and wacky story of a misplaced pool pass, James Fletcher, 49, was allowed in by the female lifeguard. After a brief swim, Fletcher cornered the lifeguard in a maintenance building, shocked her with a stun gun and made a grab for her. The quick-witted lifesaver managed to dial 911 and the poolside perv was collared.

His next big splash will be in court.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

August 14, 2005 -- It sounds like a West Coast version of a Jersey joke, but Seattle zookeepers apparently deal with bad-tempered elephants by banishing them to nearby Tacoma. Handlers hope that moving Bamboo, a 38-year-old prickly pachyderm, to Tacoma's Point Defiance Zoo will ease tensions at Seattle's Woodland Park Zoo, where Bamboo has shown "intolerance" of younger elephants and their calves.
    Bamboo will move in with Suki and Hanako, two other grumpy elephants exiled to Tacoma.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Forum Member

Mailman Bitten by Barking Man

A mail carrier got bitten - by a barking man, police said. Mark D. Plumb, 20, of Butler, Mo., was arrested and charged with simple battery Wednesday after he ran barking from a house and bit the letter carrier on the shoulder, police spokesman Lt. Todd Duplantis said.
    Plumb said he bit the carrier as a joke, and has no history of criminal activity or mental illness, police said.

Plumb was released from the Terrebonne Parish jail after posting $165 bond.

(Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

hmmmmmmmmm let's see ....

Yup, that's weird!!!!
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Pot-Cell Phone Cam Arrest

WOODLAND, Calif. (AP) - The pictures on Zachary Hicks' missing cell phone cam are more than embarrassing, they've led to his arrest. Police in Woodland, California, say someone turned in Hicks' lost cell phone. Investigators report they found digital snapshots stored in the phone of piles of pot and cash. Officers searched his home and say they found drugs and money, and another camera phone. Police say the new cell phone cam has pictures of dope and money, too.
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Birthday Spanking Becomes 'Obscene Performance'

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) - A trucker claims the spanking left him with a badly bruised behind, but the three exotic dancers who were paid to paddle the birthday boy are saying they're innocent.
    Kelly Eslick, 21, and Lisa Nolen and Charlene Smith, both 23, appeared Thursday before District Judge Wayne Gruber to face felony charges of participating in an obscene performance and misdemeanor battery charges. A court date was set for Sept. 15.

The trio work at Sensations Night Club in Jacksonville, where customer Keith Lowery of Bald Knob says they went overboard in giving him an onstage spanking.

Lowery's friends paid $25 for the spanking as part of Lowery's 31st birthday celebration.

Lowery told sheriff's deputies that he was handcuffed and spanked with a 3-foot-long paddle and a belt while one of the strippers restrained his head with her legs. He said he suffered bruises so severe he was unable to sit comfortably for five days.
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Coach Licks Athletes' WoundsHigh school teacher's behavior is termed bizarre but not criminal

BEND, Ore. (AP) - An Oregon high school teacher has gotten a tongue-lashing for his wound-licking.
    Oregon's teacher standards board has voted to publicly reprimand the science teacher and football coach, who was accused of licking the bleeding wounds of several students.

The board also voted to place Scott Reed on two years' probation.

Reed agreed with the "stipulated facts" of the case: that he licked blood from wounds on a runner's knee, a football player's arm, and another student's hand.

It's not clear why he licked the wounds. But several students said it seemed like Reed was "just joking around."

The county sheriff investigated the case last year, and no charges were filed. The sheriff called the behavior "bizarre" but not criminal.

Reed resigned this spring as a track coach, but remains the school's football coach and dean of students.

He will be attending a class on the risks of blood-borne pathogens.
    IACOJ

Forum Member

FBI Investigates Whether Pilots Mailed Feces
    Aug 13, 2005, 07:57 AM

WILMINGTON, OHIO (AP) -- The FBI is investigating whether two pilots for a regional cargo airline mailed feces to company executives and took out unwanted magazine subscriptions for them. No charges had been filed Friday against the unidentified pilots for ABX Air Inc., which is based in Wilmington, about 40 miles northeast of Cincinnati.

It was unclear Friday whether the feces were human or animal. Sending biohazardous material through the mail is a federal crime under domestic terrorism statutes, FBI spokesman Michael Brooks said.

The pilots union for ABX issued a message that said that the FBI questioned the pilots this week and placed them on the federal terrorism roster known as the "selectee" list. That means the pilots would face additional security screening any time they pass through a passenger checkpoint and could face suspension of flying privileges, the union said.

"We were told that they [the FBI] consider ABX Air vital to national security," Lynn Nowell, general counsel with Teamsters Local 1224, said on the recorded phone message. "The pilots answered thoughtfully and fully, and we are confident they will be cleared or exonerated."

A message seeking comment from the company was left at its offices Friday night. Investigators would not identify the pilots, the executives or the magazines. Brooks also would not say how the agency was alerted to the alleged incidents or when they took place.

ABX Air runs an air cargo hub in Wilmington on behalf of global shipping giant DHL. It operates a 115-plane airline that carries freight nationally.

Posted by AEB

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
    IACOJ

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

August 15, 2005 -- Worried about pigging out at your favorite Chinese restaurant? You'll never worry again after you read this. A 144-pound man devoured 100 roast pork buns in 12 minutes in the final round of an eating contest in Hong Kong yesterday. Takeru Kobayashi, 27 — also the five-time Coney Island hot-dog-eating champ — easily bested five other contestants to win a cash prize of $2,500. He said the palm-sized buns were more of a challenge than the 83 veggie dumplings he downed in eight minutes just one day earlier.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

August 15, 2005 -- The mayor of an Austrian town named "Fu@king" is pleading with tourists to stop stealing its road signs for souvenirs. "Fu@king has existed for 800 years, probably when a Mr. Fu@k or the Fu@k family moved into the area," said Siegfried Hauppl. "We all know what it means now, but for us, Fu@king is Fu@king — we don't give it a second thought." Two other Austrian towns, Windpassing and Wank-on-the-Lake, have similar problems, he added.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

August 17, 2005 -- With these fries, I thee wed.
    That line could well be part of the vows when Ken Sinchar, 38, and Lori Sherbondy, 42, tie the knot at the McDonald's drive-thru in Irwin, Pa., where they first met. "He's the only man I ever flirted with," said Sherbondy, who was passing orders through the window when Sinchar drove up. "It got to where everyone in the store knew when it was 12:15, when my Hamburger Happy Meal Man was coming through."
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

17 Hurt as Computer Sale Turns Into Stampede
    'Pandemonium' As 5,000 Show Up At Richmond Event

By Stephanie McCrummen and Aymar Jean
    Washington Post Staff Writers
    Wednesday, August 17, 2005; Page B01

Presented with a rare chance to get a used laptop computer for $50, a crowd of more than 5,000 showed up hours early yesterday at the Richmond International Raceway and -- when the gates finally were flung open at 7 a.m. -- turned into an unruly stampede, as people pushed, shoved and beat each other to get to the Apple iBooks. Elderly men and women were trampled and a girl's stroller was crushed.

"There was pandemonium at the gate where people rushed to get through," said H.W. Stanley Jr., police chief for Henrico County, where the event was held.

Henrico County Police Sgt. A.J. Scott tries to hold back crowd members pushing against doors at the Richmond International Raceway complex. (By Dean Hoffmeyer -- Richmond Times-dispatch Via Associated Press)
    The melee lasted about five minutes, and about 70 police officers eventually were called in to control the crowd, Stanley said. About 17 people were injured, including four who were taken to a hospital and treated for scrapes, bruises, heat-related problems and possible broken bones, authorities said.

Four years ago, Henrico County purchased 18,000 of the computers for about $1,100 each for its public school students and teachers. The county decided to sponsor yesterday's event to sell 1,000 surplus iBooks to residents.

The county posted the event on its Web site, local newspapers ran stories on the sale and news otherwise spread on blogs and by word of mouth. But no one expected such a crowd, Stanley said.

"I just think the whole system was overwhelmed with the number of people that showed up," he said.

People began lining up as early as 1:30 a.m., and the traffic to the sale caused a five-mile backup on streets leading to the raceway. Some people parked a mile away and walked to the gates for the chance to purchase one computer each.

When the gates opened, Stanley said, one "aggressive group of individuals" rushed through.

"They decided that they were going to get through first," Stanley said, "and it caused a lot of people to run. When they started to push and run, then the crowd just started to move with them."

Latoya Jones, 19, said, "I could not move, I could not breathe." She said she lost a flip-flop in the ordeal and limped around on the sizzling blacktop with one foot bare. "This is total, total chaos," she said.

About 20 police officers were patrolling the event at the outset, and about 50 others were called in, along with teams of volunteer firefighters who handed out water to the trampled and bruised and otherwise helped restore order, Stanley said.

Eventually, county officials let groups of 100 to 150 people into the building. Once they got inside, people were "very nice, very appreciative," said Paul Proto, director of general services for the county.

"Outside, it really took on a life of its own," he said. "The surprising thing was the attitude and the aggressiveness. It was pretty rough."

The sale ended by 1 p.m., and many people left empty-handed. Some who bought laptops sold them to others for more than $50, Stanley said.

Proto said the county initially was going to open the sale to the general public. When Henrico began receiving inquiries as far away as California and Germany, however, it decided to restrict the sale to county residents, he said.

The county has about 8,000 additional laptops that it plans to sell, Proto said.

Staff writer Michael D. Shear and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

August 18, 2005 -- Cops trying to rouse an 87-year-old homeless woman snoozing on a recliner at a Wisconsin discount store found $60,000 cash in her purse. Officials in Janesville say despite the stash, the unidentified woman preferred being a transient.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

MembersZone Subscriber

For Tsunami Survivors, It's All About the Bike

By Alan Sipress Washington Post Foreign Service Thursday, August 18, 2005

MEULABOH, Indonesia -- Every afternoon, as the sun dips toward the Indian Ocean and the ruins of blasted homes cast long shadows across scattered rubble, the roar and whine of motorcycles slice the languid air.

Street racing has returned to the tsunami zone.

Young men hunch low over dark metal. Hundreds of people again converge along the boulevard to watch, clustered on broken sidewalks and weedy lots, perched on foundations and tumbledown porches stripped of their homes by the December tsunami. Knots of girls, some in traditional Muslim head scarves, eye their hot-dogging heroes from an honorable distance.

The massive wall of water that crashed into Aceh province on Dec. 26 had stilled the engines. The disaster killed nearly a quarter of the population of Meulaboh, the largest town on the west coast of Indonesia's Sumatra island. The wave razed entire neighborhoods and buried the long straightaway of Iskandar Muda boulevard in mud, bloated corpses and the jetsam of urban lives.

But gradually, the raceway was cleared. Laborers excavated the traditional, if illegal, track with its narrow median strip, zebra-striped curbs and finish line at the palm-fringed beach. In doing so, they also unearthed a hankering for old habits and, locals admit without shame, a little fun.

In the last two months, the riders have reappeared. They scream along the half-mile course running from the edge of downtown straight into the setting sun, flip their bikes around in a screech of burning rubber and return.

Inevitably, bikes collide or a tire clips the curb. Metal crunches on blacktop.

"He fell! He fell!" yelled spectators watching the races on a recent afternoon.

Necks craned. Several men sprinted toward the accident.

"It's Waldi!" shouted one, referring to the reigning champion, a solidly built, shaggy-haired teenager in a green shirt who had lost control trying to turn his bike around at high speed. Somehow, defiantly, Waldi managed to haul himself to his feet, rubbing his forearms, and wheeled his motorcycle out of the way.

"The injuries usually aren't serious," volunteered Adrian, 28, an enthusiast with a thin mustache, watching from the shade of a crumbling brick wall. "The only serious injuries are when a goat cuts through and gets hit."

Once, long before the tsunami, a stocky, full-faced man named Ornel had been the local champ. He was a jago, a real hotshot, ogled by the girls until he got married two years ago and retired. Now, Ornel, 29, watches keenly from the seat of his Honda.

"There's racing. That's all there is," he said.

There are no bars in Meulaboh, no discotheques or movie theaters. The lone karaoke club has remained shut since the tsunami. Even the once-popular night carnivals, with their carousels, bazaars and magic shows, have yet to return.

Ornel recalled the days of his youth when his city had a nightlife. Headline singers from as far away as the Indonesian capital of Jakarta used to tour Aceh.

But the late 1990s saw an escalation in the long-running conflict between Acehnese separatists and Indonesian security forces. Curfews and fear kept entertainers away. More recently, Aceh imposed Islamic law, or sharia , adopting stiff measures against drinking, gambling and mingling of the sexes. Then came the tsunami.

"There's less than before, much less, almost nothing," Ornel said.

Meulaboh's arduous rebirth is only now taking shape. Hundreds of new homes are being built to replace the refugees' tents and clapboard shanties. Construction of a new city pier began in late June. The flimsy stalls of the traditional market, where people hawk fish, vegetables and tropical fruits, have been rebuilt, but at a more prudent distance from the sea.

The coffee shops of Meulaboh opened within days of the tsunami. Adult men again measure the time between calls to prayer with cups of Aceh's famously robust brew.

But for family fun, nothing beats a good race.

Motorcycles are the universal form of transportation, and men pile their clans on board, bound for the boulevard. Parked along the roadside, fathers sit high on their bikes, children on their laps, wives squeezed behind on the few remaining inches of seat.

"Nearly everyone likes to watch the racing," said Ornel's friend Jefri, 25, another cocky retired rider with combed-back hair, sideburns and a shadow of a mustache. "It relieves stress."

The races usually continue until the hour for twilight prayers. The engines fade just as the call to worship swells from countless mosques. But sometimes, the spectacle stops sooner, abruptly.

On a recent afternoon, about a half-hour shy of prayer time, the crowds suddenly began to scatter like a flock of birds taking wing. The reason became apparent only after the spectators revved their engines and begin to peel away from the curb.

"Police!" someone cried.

Moments later, a pickup truck appeared with a pair of traffic cops in the front seat. They drove slowly along the boulevard, clearing the roadsides and herding the onlookers into the sunset.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Forum Member

"The only serious injuries are when a goat cuts through and gets hit."
    HAHAHA. Best line
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

August 19, 2005 -- Two cable-TV customer-service workers got even with an Illinois woman who complained about bad service — changing the name on her bill to "Bitch Dog." Comcast has fired the pair and issued its "sincerest apologies" to LaChania Govan, 25, of Elgin.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

HAHAHA haven't we all wanted to do something like that at one time or another?
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

British soldiers to get underwear that fights germs

Associated Press Friday, August 19, 2005

LONDON (AP) -- British troops combating the heat and dust of Iraq and Afghanistan have a new weapon in their armoury, defence officials announced Thursday -- germ-fighting underwear.

The antimicrobial underpants have been introduced by the Ministry of Defence as part of a new desert uniform for soldiers. They are the first undergarments issued to British troops, who traditionally have had to supply their own.

Col. Silas Suchanek, who led the team that procured the new equipment, said the unisex trunks were made from artificial fibres for comfort, with silver particles woven into the material to prevent sweating.

"It is coated to prevent bacterial infection and we have tried to arrange the seams so that they don't chafe," he said.

The army's new desert kit also includes boots with rubber soles designed to withstand temperatures of up to 300 Celsius, wraparound sunglasses, light Kevlar-nylon helmets and "combat sandals" for off-duty wear.

The British army has faced criticism over the adequacy of its equipment. A government report on a military exercise in Oman in 2001 found that soldiers complained that standard-issue boots fell apart or melted in the sun and in some instances caused foot rot, while the man-made fibres of standard uniforms resulted in heat-stress illnesses.

The government acknowledged that at least a quarter of troops bought some of their own equipment, with U.S. army desert boots a particular favourite.

Armed Forces Minister Adam Ingram said the new equipment would make Britain's troops "among the best equipped in the world, ready to face environments ranging from desert conditions in Iraq, monsoon conditions in Brunei, to winter in the Balkans."

"Support for the modern serviceman or woman starts from the skin out," Ingram said.

The Defence Ministry said the new underwear was already being issued to troops. The rest of the equipment will be introduced by March.

Photo CREDIT: Matt Dunham, Associated Press
    British soldier Sgt. Paul Buckley, at a news conference in London, displays an item of anti-microbial underwear that will soon be issued to British troops.

© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2005
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Was he hungry two hours later?

Quote Originally Posted by E40FDNYL35
    August 15, 2005 -- Worried about pigging out at your favorite Chinese restaurant? You'll never worry again after you read this. A 144-pound man devoured 100 roast pork buns in 12 minutes in the final round of an eating contest in Hong Kong yesterday. Takeru Kobayashi, 27 — also the five-time Coney Island hot-dog-eating champ — easily bested five other contestants to win a cash prize of $2,500. He said the palm-sized buns were more of a challenge than the 83 veggie dumplings he downed in eight minutes just one day earlier.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

August 20, 2005 -- Goats to the rescue — no kidding.
    Officials in Peachtree City, Ga., are spending $10,000 on some butt-in-skis in hopes they'll gobble up the invasive weed kudzu that's been killing local trees. Goats were chosen to tackle the problem over more expensive chemicals. Hopefully the nannies won't make ninnies out of the city council.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

August 21, 2005 -- A stalking Nevada cat scored some Vegas-style luck when it got zapped off the top of a 40-foot-high power line pole when a 25,000-volt relay switch blew. Paramedics found the frazzled feline in good condition. Its burns were superficial, but it's going to be hairless for a while.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

August 22, 2005 -- An alligator living in a Los Angeles lake is becoming a folk hero of sorts, with fans hoping he continues to elude capture. The alligator, believed to be an abandoned pet, has been chased around the 53-acre Machado Lake since he was discovered living there on Aug. 12. Now experts are taking a wait-and-see approach to wrangling the gator, lovingly named "Carlito" or "Harbor Park Harry."
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Help Me... My Train Derailed And ......

Police battle looters after beer train crashes - 1 person killed at site of South Africa derailment

Updated: 8:45 a.m. ET Aug. 22, 2005

JOHANNESBURG, South Africa - Hundreds of looters battled police all weekend at the site of a beer train wreck in violence that left one woman dead, South African police said on Monday as they kept a heavy guard on the remaining alcohol.

The train carrying 180,000 crates of beer from South African Breweries derailed on Friday night near Waterval Boven, 124 miles east of Johannesburg, Superintendent Izak van Zyl said.

By Saturday morning, police were battling up to 200 people from the nearby township trying to make off with crates of beer.

“It was a lot of trouble from one train crash,” Van Zyl said. “They were firing rubber bullets into the crowd. The issue was the beer.”

A 19-year-old woman in the crowd was killed when she fell under the wheels of a truck, he said.

Police handed the site over to railway security staff but were back again on Sunday morning, firing more rubber bullets as looters converged on the train. Officers raided nearby houses, recovered three out of 500 missing cases and arrested six people.

Van Zyl said 20 officers would remain at the site until the overturned wagons and surviving beer crates could be recovered, an operation that could take up to a week.

Copyright 2005 Reuters Limited.

I wonder how many trauma bee...err. I mean bears the cops had to hand out for this one?

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

August 23, 2005 -- James Lubeck had long forgotten about his wallet falling into Marblehead Harbor in Massachusetts as he secured his sailboat during a storm in 1966. That is, until this month, when a fisherman hauled in the wallet's sheath — holding 12 credit cards in good condition —in a netful of cod, flounder and haddock some 25 miles away. "I can't find the adjectives," said Lubeck, 74. "It is incredible. Life is full of mysteries."
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by E40FDNYL35
    August 23, 2005 -- James Lubeck had long forgotten about his wallet falling into Marblehead Harbor in Massachusetts as he secured his sailboat during a storm in 1966. That is, until this month, when a fisherman hauled in the wallet's sheath — holding 12 credit cards in good condition —in a netful of cod, flounder and haddock some 25 miles away. "I can't find the adjectives," said Lubeck, 74. "It is incredible. Life is full of mysteries."
    I saw that story yesterday too. I thinks its pretty kuul, both that someone found the cards, AND chose to return them. Goes to show that there are still a few good people out there. {although I must say I have met a pretty great number of them since my arr in DC/VA Must be that Eastcoaster hospitality I always heard about growing up on the Left Coast. }

Thread Information