Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 60 of 162 FirstFirst ... 10505758596061626370110160 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 3230

Thread: Weird But True

What happens in Vagas stays in Vagas. But all I know is they didn't build that City off of Winners...

April 28, 2005 -- An Arizona lawman made 700 hardened criminals wear nothing but pink underwear, flip-flops and handcuffs to walk two miles to their new prison — so they'd be too embarrassed to try to escape. "I put them on the street so everybody could see them. They can see this is what happens to people who break the law," said Phoenix Sheriff Joe Arpaio
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Welcome back! Hope you had a great trip

I WON 16 TICKETS TO SEE U2 IN VANCOUVER TOMORROW NIGHT!!!! With the flight to Vancouver, limo-bus to GM Place and a charter flight home after the concert all included!

WOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!
    Last edited by RspctFrmCalgary; 04-28-2005 at 11:06 PM.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

THAT'S GREAT NEWS Sheri

April 29, 2005 -- An old-age home in the Netherlands is bowing to frisky residents with the introduction of "the bounce room," where oldsters can have sex trysts with their spouses or hookers. "Intimacy with a partner can be difficult in residential homes, and it's important for older people to have a normal sex life," said social worker Corma van der Vlugt. The room comes with a double bed, a fireplace and a bottle of wine. A defibrillator might make sense, too.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

April 30, 2005 -- An 80-year-old woman carried an ailing 67-year- old neighbor on her back down two flights of stairs to escape a fire in their senior housing complex in Hopkinton, R.I. "Nothing to it," said small-but-spunky Madalene Lindill after her heroic rescue. Officials said the blaze started when ailing neighbor Grace Brayman, wearing an oxygen mask, lit a cigarette.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

May 1, 2005 -- There's nothing like a soothing foot massage — but a Hong Kong woman found that even something that feels good has to come to an end. The woman, 44, was 15 minutes into a massage when she realized her foot was stuck in the massage machine. Store workers spent 30 minutes trying to free her but eventually had to call firefighters, who managed to dismantle the machine.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Default What do you think of this one??

St. Petersburg Times

The odd case of a naked nanny
    A sitter removes her clothes at a 4-year-old's request. Now a debate rages: Is it forgivable?
    By LEONORA LaPETER, Times Staff Writer
    Published May 1, 2005

ST. PETERSBURG - To many in the Old Northeast neighborhood where Sarah Slicker lived and babysat, she was a Mary Poppins-like figure with a brilliant smile, bubbly disposition and a natural ability with children.

Slicker began babysitting at age 12. She taught Bible classes, helped with Sunday school and worked in the nursery at First United Methodist Church. Her church awarded her a college scholarship and she graduated from Florida Southern College with a degree in pre-K education.

She hoped to become a child psychologist.

So when a Snell Isle family that attends First United Methodist was looking for a nanny, a church employee recommended Slicker.

The arrangement lasted for three months until the day in January 2004 when Slicker made a life-changing mistake.

She was fast-forwarding through a James Bond movie, Die Another Day, when a sex scene appeared. The 4-year-old boy in her care demanded she take off her clothes. Slicker complied, and let him touch her.

The incident shocked those who knew the 23-year-old Slicker. It also split a neighborhood and a church. Some rallied behind her, refusing to believe it happened. Others felt she should go to prison. Parents who had used her for babysitting quietly grilled their children, some of them already in college.

Her outrageous actions became the buzz of the Old Northeast and fodder for Internet bloggers around the world debating what kind of punishment was enough.

Today, Slicker sits in jail, labeled a sex offender. She maintains her actions were not sexual, but a horrible moment that was the result of so many other horrible moments. She snapped from overwork, stress and depression.

"I knew this was wrong," she said during an interview. "It was really hard, it's still hard, to accept that I'd do something so crazy. . . . People are always like, "What were you thinking?' and I say, "I wasn't.' "

The boy's mother said Slicker is a sexual predator whose innocent demeanor makes her all the more dangerous.

"She's young. She's energetic. She has childhood experience with children and she's the biggest threat to mothers and parents in this world because she's not going to be assumed a predator," said the mother, whose name is being withheld to protect her son's identity.

A gynecologist, she walked in on Slicker and her son - and she can't get the image out of her head.

Slicker didn't want the job at first, even though she was trying to save money for graduate school. She already was babysitting for two other families three nights a week, helping her grandmother, and petsitting for another family.

But the mother was persistent. She and her husband, who sells medical devices, were busy career people who needed someone who would be flexible to look after their 4-year-old son and his 15-month old sister.

Slicker admitted she wasn't good at saying no.

She took the job in September 2003, she said, understanding it would be 35 to 40 hours a week. But before long, it grew to 55 to 65 hours a week. The family said there was never an agreement that the hours would be limited, and Slicker was allowed to have the other jobs as long as it didn't interfere with their needs.

Soon, Slicker estimated, she was working 100 hours a week on all the jobs combined.

She became frazzled and forgetful. She locked her keys in her car at least four times. She would go days without showering or changing her clothes. She gained 30 pounds.

"Part of the problem was that I had a lot of guilt from feeling overwhelmed," Slicker said. "It was so difficult for me to admit I was in over my head. I've wanted to be a parent my whole life and it was hard for me to admit I couldn't handle a parent's schedule."

The 4-year-old's mother said she noticed Slicker appeared more disheveled, but chalked it up to adjusting to the family's schedule.

Friends and family, however, urged Slicker to get out. Two other mothers offered to pay Slicker the $400 to $450 a week she was making in the nanny job for far fewer hours. She refused, saying she had committed to the family for a year.

"I thought she was going to jump off the Skyway Bridge," said Elizabeth Johnson, 38. Slicker babysat her three children for more than a decade. "She looked awful. She went from everyone's favorite babysitter to a complete zombie. She was a shell of a human being. It was a rapid decline."

Slicker also was struggling with the 4-year-old boy. In December 2003, friends and parents like Johnson said Slicker complained to them that he had grabbed at her breasts and her buttocks.

The boy's mother acknowledged her son exhibited the behavior before Slicker arrived, but said it increased during her tenure.

Slicker wasn't sure how to deal with it all.

On Jan. 2, 2004, the boy's father took his son out fishing with friends. The two returned home in the afternoon so Slicker could get the boy ready for a tennis lesson.

The boy asked if he could watch the James Bond movie. The 35-year-old father, recalling the moment in a deposition, said Slicker mentioned it might be too violent.

"I said, "Sarah, you take control of the remote. I want you to fast-forward through the parts that - you've got 15 minutes maximum, you know, so probably you're going to get started on it and leave, but that's fine."

Slicker fast-forwarded through the movie's dicey parts, but the boy saw a sex scene, she said. He turned to her and demanded she take off her clothes.

Slicker removed her shirt, jeans and Birkenstocks and then lay down on the couch.

It was easier, she says, to do what the boy told her than to fight it. She didn't care about anything anymore. She felt hopeless, powerless and robotic, she said.

"It was like, "Let's get it over with. It's a body.' I was that dispassionate about everything. It wasn't worth an argument or a struggle. I didn't want to deal with any more pressure from a 4-year-old."

The boy leaned in and touched her breast. Then he "touched her vaginal area with his finger," according to the police report. Slicker remembers him doing it but she felt nothing.

The boy's mother walked in. Neither Slicker nor the boy noticed her. The mother said the drapes were drawn, so it took a moment for her eyes to adjust to the darkness.

She noticed a figure on the L-shaped couch, and realized it was Slicker. Her son was sitting between the nanny's legs.

"What are you doing?" the 34-year-old mother said. She said it again, louder.

Her son jumped down and hid behind the couch. It dawned on Slicker that she was naked. She jumped up and said "Oh my God," three times.

She ran into another room and got dressed.

On her way to the police station to turn herself in, Slicker called the parents and left a message saying she was sorry.

The couple was still stunned. After feeding their children and putting them to bed, they sat on the couch, wondering what to do.

"We couldn't believe that she would be a person that would do this type of thing," the father said in the deposition. "We were worried about the fact that she might have to go to prison."

Later that night, Slicker called the boy's parents from jail. Could they post her bail?

"We were dumbfounded," the father said. "We said "Sarah, you need to call your parents. We can't talk anymore.' "

Slicker was charged with lewd and lascivious molestation, a first-degree felony that could have sent her to prison from 61/2 to 30 years.

It was a cliff fall for a girl who had shown so much promise. Slicker's parents refused to believe it was anything but a mistake.

"I don't know that there is a better person," said her father, Michael Slicker, a 25-year resident of the Old Northeast. "We know that Sarah is not a sex offender. Sarah has never approached any child with any sexual or malicious intent, any time, anywhere."

As she waited for the trial to start, Slicker worked in her father's antique book store and took her dog, Bonnie, to the Crescent Lake dog park. That's where she met Kevin Smith, a mechanic. He became her boyfriend.

She told him about the charges, but it was hard. "It was terrifying to consider what other people might be thinking," Slicker said.

Over and over, the incident played out in her dreams like a color reel, only she messed with the footage.

What if she had gotten the child ready for tennis?

What if she had turned off the movie?

What if she hadn't taken her clothes off?

The parents of the 4-year-old didn't buy Slicker's exhaustion explanation.

"She worked for us for nine out of 12 weeks," the mother said. "She had three weeks of paid vacation. She was not making any life-changing decisions. I mean, she's playing with kids. I'm out delivering 15 babies a month and seeing 100 patients a week. She's a college graduate. This is what her degree was in. She's so exhausted she strips down naked? It's a joke."

The trial began in February. The boy did not testify. Slicker did, sobbing through her story.

"She came across like a 4-year-old child herself," said prosecutor Stephanie Bergen, who was pregnant during the trial. "She was just kind of almost clueless about what she was saying and how she was justifying it. She didn't really grasp - I don't know if she'll ever grap - what she did and the trauma she caused this child."

Slicker's lawyer, Debora Moss had commissioned a psychological analysis of Slicker, who said she was a virgin (Slicker and her family say she was not sexually abused as a child).

The psychologist reported Slicker's "sexuality was nonexistent," she was not a "sexual deviant," and she did not derive sexual pleasure from the incident, the report said. But the jury didn't get to see it because, under Florida law, Slicker could not argue that she had suffered from "diminished capacity."

Jurors immediately agreed something wrong had happened and Slicker needed to be punished. But not all thought she was guilty of molestation. Since she had not touched the boy, it had to be proven that she "enticed" him to touch her. After more than three hours of debate, the jury found Slicker guilty of lewd and lascivious exhibition, a second-degree felony punishable by a maximum of 15 years in prison and a minimum of probation.

"We kind of all went back and forth and they had this word, entice, and "did she entice the child?' " said Joanna Butler, 35, a nurse who served on the jury.

"We decided "No, she didn't.' "

As Slicker's sentencing loomed on Feb. 25, Circuit Judge Brandt Downey III received more than 100 letters.

Former St. Petersburg Mayor Robert L. Ulrich, who attends the same church, wrote that Slicker's "reputation for reliability and integrity has been sterling." Retired Methodist Bishop James Lloyd Knox called her a "sweet but very naive, disorganized young woman" who he believes "when she says hers was not a sexual act."

Many of the letter writers pleaded with Downey to give Slicker probation rather than prison.

"All I ask, on Sarah's behalf, is that you consider the whole person, and not just the isolated event," wrote friend Rachel Price. "Sarah is a sweet, loving, compassionate person who made an error in judgment under stress."

Others urged Downey to punish Slicker, and treat her the same as a man.

"I understand that it is difficult for most persons to accept that women may be pedophiles," wrote Robert L. Arnold, professional development coordinator at the Hospice Institute of the Florida Suncoast. "We wish to see women as benevolent and nurturing. However, Ms. Slicker's behavior was clearly intentional and predatory and her sentencing must be reflective of this."

At Slicker's sentencing, about 200 people crowded into the courtroom. The boy's family passed out stickers that read, "Protect our Children." Many of Slicker's babysitting families sat behind her.

Parishioners from First United Methodist sat on different sides of the courtroom.

The boy's mother told the judge she was worried how the incident would affect her son's perception of women and sex in the future. And she was "overwhelmed" by Slicker's supporters, the mother said. She wondered if they were in denial because they didn't want to think it could happen to their children.

Downey sentenced Slicker to 15 years in prison, but suspended part of it. In the end, he gave her a year in the jail, two years of house arrest and 10 years probation.

"I thought long and hard before I imposed her sentence," Downey said. "You're talking about a relatively young defendant . . . making a terrible mistake."

News of Slicker's conviction and sentencing spread on the Internet with hundreds weighing in on half a dozen blogs. Many thought she had been treated too harshly. Others thought she deserved her fate.

"If you can't disarm a situation where a 4-year-old demands that you get naked with a simple "no' followed by strict instructions to go to his room and wait until his parents get home, then maybe you have not got what it takes to make it in the highly stressful world of babysitting," wrote one person on FARK, a Web site on which an article about Slicker's conviction was read 34,309 times. "Aren't most small children curious about everything?" countered JoeV. "Would it have been "lewd and lascivious' if it had been his mother who complied and showed him her naked body? Bad judgment? Sure. Fire the sitter? Sure. Prison time? I think not."

A few weeks ago, the gynecologist was driving with her son to Lowe's when out of the blue, he asked if Slicker was still in jail. The mother said yes.

The boy, now 5, paused and said that was good. He had jumped down behind the couch, he said, because he thought he did something wrong. "But you know now that you didn't, right?" the mother replied.

"Yes, I didn't do anything bad. She did," the boy answered.

The parents have vowed never to use a nanny again. A grandmother now cares for the boy and his sister.

Slicker should have received more time in jail, the mother said.

"If this had been a man with my daughter, he would have been convicted and put away for the 30 years maximum," the mother said. "But because it was a woman and she claims it was my son's curiosity, we don't even have a molestation charge."

She is incensed by Slicker's argument about her son's behavior. Her pediatrician said some boys are naturally curious at this age.

"She wanted to blame it on everybody else," the mother said. "It's hard to listen to a 23-year-old blame a 4-year-old."

Slicker cried when she heard the mother doesn't think she has taken responsibility.

"I can't imagine feeling any more guilty or upset than I do," Slicker said. "If she could just understand there was nothing sexual, if I could just let her know for her own peace of mind."

In jail, Slicker cleans the bathrooms and visitor's area and helps the GED teacher with inmates getting their diplomas. She has learned to be a little more assertive and she is on an antidepressant, Lexapro.

She will forever be a registered sex offender, though in 20 years she can apply to have the designation removed. Once she gets out of jail on Oct. 14, she must attend counseling and submit to a polygraph exam each year of her treatment. Any contact with children must be supervised until she has completed her treatment. She can never volunteer or work at a school, park, day care or playground, though she can live within 1,000 feet of them.

Slicker is not sure what she will do when she is released, maybe clerical work.

Her thoughts now are on her wedding to Kevin Smith, the man she met at the dog park last summer. They got engaged over the two-way TV cameras during a jail visit recently. They talk about wedding dresses and tiered cakes.

And when her lawyer showed up to visit, Slicker lowered her head and asked her in a whisper, "Are kids going to be able to be at the wedding?"

Times researcher Caryn Baird contributed to this report. Staff writer Leonora LaPeter can be reached at lapeter@sptimes.com or 727 893-8640.

Voice your opinion in our guestbook at www.sptimes.com

[Last modified May 1, 2005, 00:00:10]
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Sr. Information Officer NJFFSA16's Avatar

Albatross migration attracts celebrities, punters
    CANBERRA, May 2 (Reuters) - With electronic jockeys on board
    and carrying the hopes of celebrity owners and punters from
    around the world, 17 unlikely athletes have taken off in an
    endurance race deemed by some as the toughest in the world.
    The athletes are Shy Albatross birds, and their annual
    migration up to 9,600 km (6,000 miles) to Africa from their
    homes on three tiny islands off the Australian island state of
    Tasmania has become the Big Bird Race.
    Punters around the globe can bet on the race which is in
    its second year and track the progress of the birds carrying
    "electronic jockeys" -- satellite transmitters -- on the Web
    site of British bookmaker Ladbrokes, www.ladbrokes.com.
    The competitors also have celebrity "owners" including
    Heather Mills McCartney, wife of Beatle Paul McCartney,
    yachtswoman Ellen MacArthur, British television host Michael
    Parkinson and Australian singer Olivia Newton-John.
    The Big Bird Race, run by the Tasmanian state government,
    the Conservation Foundation and Ladbrokes, seeks to help save
    the mighty sea bird from extinction, with the money raised from
    the race going to seabird conservation projects.
    "Hundreds of thousands of sea birds are dying unnecessarily
    in the Southern Ocean due to poorly managed longline fishing
    techniques ... drowning the birds by dragging them for miles
    underwater," Ladbrokes said on its Web site.
    Longline fishing involved boats dragging baited hooks on
    lines up to 130 km (80 miles) long. Tasmania's environment
    department said 100,000 albatrosses were killed every year by
    the practice and 19 species of the bird were now threatened
    with extinction.
    Four days after the official start of the race, less than
    half the field appear to have started their epic three-month
    journey.
    Pre-race favourite Fleetwood, owned by British radio DJ
    Johnnie Walker, has taken the lead, followed by Eighteen Stone
    of Idiot, owned by British comedian Johnny Vegas.
    The race will end when the winning bird crosses the line of
    longitude at 31 degrees east, Durban, South Africa, or on the
    4th of August, whichever comes first, in which case the winning
    bird will be the one which has travelled the furthest distance
    west.

REUTERS
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Washington Bureaucrats Make Way for Ducklings
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A duck who hatched her brood under
    the watchful eyes of the U.S. Secret Service took swimmingly to
    motherhood Sunday, guiding her 11 ducklings unerringly to water
    with the assistance of at least three government departments.
    Fittingly for a duck who laid a clutch of eggs at the
    doorstep of the U.S. Treasury department, she did it on public
    land, in Rock Creek Park, the forested ravine that bisects the
    capital.
    "This is an excellent habitat. We're happy to take her
    under our wing," said Laura Illige, the park's chief ranger.
    The duck, a common mallard, laid a clutch of eggs early
    last month in a mulch pile at Treasury, next door to the White
    House in downtown Washington.
    She quickly became a star tourist attraction on the busy
    pedestrian plaza. Treasury Department officials erected
    security barriers to shield the waterfowl from onlookers and
    from protesters during an international summit.

REUTERS

Man sues Hair Club over malignant head tumor
    LOS ANGELES, April 29 (Reuters) - An Oregon member of Hair
    Club for Men has accused the company of failing to warn him
    during monthly visits to reglue his hairpiece that a malignant
    tumor was developing on his scalp.
    James Milner says no one but Hair Club employees saw his
    scalp during the 10 years he was a Hair Club member but none of
    them told him "of the black, expanding growth" on his scalp,
    according to a lawsuit filed on Thursday in Portland state
    court.
    Milner said he finally saw the tumor after insisting that
    the Hair Club employee remove the hairpiece so that he could
    point out the source of his a painful rash he had developed.
    Milner had the tumor removed in May 2004. The lawsuit seeks
    more than $450,000 in compensation for his medical bills,
    emotional stress and damages.
    A spokesman at Hair Club for Men in Portland could not be
    reached for comment.

REUTERS

Talking

Upstate New York man gets the poop on outsourcing
    By Holly McKenna
    DELMAR, N.Y., April 29 (Reuters) - Computer programmer
    Steve Relles has the poop on what to do when your job is
    outsourced to India.
    Relles, one of a rising number of Americans seeking new
    opportunities as their work shifts to countries with cheaper
    labor, has spent the past year making his living scooping up
    dog droppings as the "Delmar Dog Butler."
    "My parents paid for me to get a (degree) in math and now I
    am a pooper scooper," Relles, a 42-year-old married father of
    two told Reuters. "I can clean four to five yards in a hour if
    they are close together."
    Relles, who lost his computer programming job about three
    years ago, got the idea of cleaning dog dirt from people's back
    yards from Mark Booth, a friend in Buffalo, New York.
    Ralles has over 100 clients who pay $10 each for a
    once-a-week cleaning of their yard.
    Relles competes for business with another local company
    called "Scoopy Do." Similar outfits have sprung up across
    America, including Petbutler.net, which operates in Ohio.
    In the United States, there are about 63 million dogs,
    each producing about 23 "presents" per week, which if left can
    be unsafe for children and pets.
    Relles says his business is growing by word of mouth and
    that most of his clients are women who either don't have the
    time or desire to pick up the droppings.
    "St. Bernard (dogs) are my favorite customers since they
    poop in large piles which are easy to find," Relles said.
    His "scooper" is a converted ice scrapper duct-taped to a
    ski pole. He flicks the poop into a dust pan lined with a
    plastic bag, then loads the waste into a large garbage can
    which he takes to the dump when full.
    "It sure beats computer programming because it's flexible,
    and I get to be outside," he said.

REUTERS

Norwegian Court Convicts First Woman for Rape
    OSLO (Reuters) - A Norwegian court has sentenced a woman to
    nine months in jail for raping a man, the first such conviction
    in the Scandinavian country that prides itself for its
    egalitarianism.
    The 31-year-old man fell asleep on a sofa at a party in
    January last year and told the court in the western city of
    Bergen he woke to find the 23-year-old woman was having oral
    sex with him.
    Under Norwegian law, all sexual acts with someone who is
    "unconscious or for other reasons unable to oppose the act" are
    considered rape.
    The court sentenced the woman Wednesday to nine months in
    jail and ordered her to pay 40,000 Norwegian crowns ($6,355) in
    compensation.
    "This is a very harsh sentence," the woman's lawyer, Per
    Magne Kristiansen, told the Norwegian news agency NTB. The
    woman argued the man had been awake and consented.

Red face

Peru saves rare frogs from cocktail blender
    LIMA, Peru (Reuters) - Peruvian officials saved
    some 4,000 endangered frogs from being whizzed into popular
    drinks after they were found hidden in an abattoir.
    "We were checking the fridges when out jumped a frog. It
    had escaped, they were in big crates," a spokesman for Lima
    city hall said Thursday.
    Frog cocktails are popular in the Andes because of their
    supposed aphrodisiac qualities. Shops in central Lima selling
    the drinks have tanks where customers can choose their frogs.
    He said the Telmatobius frogs -- which had apparently been
    brought from the southern lakes in the high Andes -- were found
    Wednesday stored in the abattoir.
    They were taken to a colonial fountain in central Lima to
    splash around before being returned to their native lakes by
    ecological police.
    "There were about 5,000 of them but 1,000 died because of
    the conditions and in transit," the spokesman said.

May 2, 2005 -- A huge Doberman pinscher has turned maternal — to help raise a baby duckling. Patrons of the Charter Bar in Petersboro, England, say Snoop trotted into the pub with his tail wagging and a tiny bird in his mouth, and proceeded to mother — or father — it. "Snoop has been lying next to it ever since," said bar manager Stuart Wright
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

May 3, 2005 -- Two pranksters could go to jail — for building a giant penis out of snow. Brandon Arp, 20, and Aric Davenport, 19, were cited for promoting obscenity for allegedly making the snow organ in their yard in Laramie, Wyo., prompting their neighbors to complain.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

'Grandpa Gang' on trial in bank-robbery spree

Associated Press Wednesday, May 04, 2005

HAGEN, Germany. Three aging men who have been dubbed the Grandpa Gang went on trial Tuesday, accused of robbing 14 German banks and getting away with the equivalent of more than $1.6 million Cdn over the course of 16 years.

As the trial opened in the western German city of Hagen, Rudolf Richter, 74, and Wilfried Ackermann, 73, admitted to taking part in the robberies. The third defendant, Lothar Ackermann, 64, who is not related to Wilfried, remained silent.

The three could face up to 15 years in prison if convicted.

© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2005
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

May 4, 2005 -- Two intrepid brothers — ages 3 and 5 — sneaked out of their house and took their mom's van on a five-mile ride through northern Indiana before crossing a four-lane highway and crashing into a pile of dirt. Miraculously, Chase and Chandler Bright emerged unhurt, and their mom, Heather, insisted it won't happen again. "We got this house locked down like Fort Knox. I'm going to have to sleep with the keys around my neck now," she said. No word on which of the lads was driving, but we'll put our bets on the older, since he had a better chance to barely see over the steering wheel.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Red face This shook me up.......

Texas to cheerleaders
    Don't shake it anymore
    AUSTIN, Texas, May 4 (Reuters) - Texas lawmakers sent a
    message to the state's high school cheerleaders on Wednesday:
    no more booty-shaking at the game.
    The state's House of Representatives voted 85-55 to approve
    a bill that would forbid sexy cheers and give the Texas
    Education Agency authority to punish schools that allow
    "overtly sexually suggestive" routines at football games and
    other events.
    The proposal must go to the Texas Senate for
    consideration.
    "People are calling and telling me how disgusting it is to
    see sexually suggestive routines on the part of marching units
    or cheerleaders," said State Rep. Al Edwards, a Houston
    Democrat who sponsored the bill.
    He complained of cheerleaders "shaking their behinds,
    breaking it down," but the proposal does not define what
    constitutes suggestive cheering.
    Democratic state Rep. Senfronia Thompson, also of Houston,
    said the bill was a waste of valuable time.
    "I think the Texas Education Agency has enough to do making
    sure our kids are better educated, and we are wasting our time
    with 'one two three four, we can't shake it any more?'"
    Thompson told legislators.

REUTERS

Talking Call 'em Stinky

OCHOPEE, Fla. (AP) - David Shealy's life mission is singular, a
    little lonely, and sometimes jinxes him with the ladies. None of
    this may be surprising, given that for more than a decade Shealy
    has tried to convince the world that outsized, lumbering ape-men
    call the Everglades home.
    "It opens up a whole Pandora's box," Shealy, 41, conceded one
    recent sweltering morning as the sun made soup out of the air in
    Ochopee, a blip of a town in Big Cypress National Preserve, 30-odd
    miles west of the Miami-Dade County line.
    Shealy is the self-appointed world expert on the Florida skunk
    ape, a legendary seven-foot-tall mangy creature and presumable
    cousin of Bigfoot, Sasquatch, Yowie, the Abominable Snowman, el
    Chupacabra, Harry of Hendersons fame and possibly Chewbacca the
    Wookiee.
    The skunk ape, alias swamp ape, apparently smells like bad eggs
    and goat dung, an odor attributed to its poor bathing habits and
    penchant for sulfurous alligator caves. Tales of its existence
    percolated in Everglades City and points north for a hundred-plus
    years, with various people - including a busload of highly excited
    British tourists who swore the creature revealed itself to them in
    1997 - finding massive footprints and claiming sightings.
    But Shealy, tall, lanky and goateed, a man rarely seen without
    his snakebite-proof boots, is the first to make the Florida skunk
    ape a full-time, if struggling, business. He guesses about seven
    apes wander about Florida, with Miami-Dade's expansion flushing
    them his way.
    "I don't have a choice to believe, because I've seen him three
    times," said Shealy, blue eyes a-twinkle beneath the brim of his
    gator-tooth-embossed, black leather outback hat.
    Shealy sells skunk ape ball caps, camouflage T-shirts and bumper
    stickers in the curio shop run by his brother, Jack, at the pair's
    dusty, sprawling campground in Ochopee on the Tamiami Trail. He
    hosts a somewhat annual Skunk Ape Festival, replete with bands and
    hippies. He talks the creature up on local radio. He believes the
    skunk ape legend could bolster tourism for Collier County, and once
    convinced its Tourist Development Council to part with $44,000 for
    a skunk ape hunting expedition, a plan the County Commission shot
    down.
    "It serves the tourist promotion business best as legend," Jim
    Coletta, a county commissioner, wrote in a solemn consolation
    letter.
    Shealy's efforts drum up a mixed local response. Staff members
    at nearby Everglades City's visitors center roll their eyes at the
    mention of his name. A young woman at another tourist spot said the
    skunk ape was hooey, but noted Shealy's parties rocked. Debbie
    Hooks, a waitress at the Oak House restaurant, said the Shealys
    were odd to start with, and that kids used to pick on them on the
    school bus.
    "It's a joke," she said of the skunk ape. "It's one of them
    in a monkey suit."
    But others, reflecting the almost gothic, Old Florida air that
    still permeates Everglades City, believe a darkly mysterious and
    otherworldly creature could lurk in the swamps.
    Sandy Steele, a clerk at Glades Haven Grocery Store, said grown
    men often return shaken from expeditions to isolated,
    mangrove-blanketed islands.
    "You hear bloodcurdling screams, things you can't describe,"
    Steele said. "Maybe things got stranded on those islands. I
    wouldn't be surprised."
    Shealy said he has spotted the creature thrice: first when he
    was 10, second in 1987 when he was up a tree in a deer blind, and
    lastly four or five years ago. He shot pictures and later
    videotape, which he said he sold to a California man for $10,000.
    His transformation into a self-styled Skunk Ape Hunter began a
    decade ago. After marrying in his teens, he had a kid, got divorced
    and was busted in 1989 for possessing 30,000 pounds of pot.
    Three years in a federal prison left him eager to start anew.
    But his campground struggled, and does so still, even after the
    brothers added a motley coterie of abandoned and donated emus,
    lizards, mud puppies, pythons, cockatiels, alligators and goats.
    Jack Shealy is currently facing animal cruelty charges, which his
    brother says are unsubstantiated, for allegedly trying to lure a
    sick panther with a tied-up goat.
    In the mid-1990s, Shealy began pursuing skunk ape lore, with
    dreams of spinning legend into gold. He made plaster casts out of
    purported footprints and tacked a sign, "Skunk Ape Research
    Headquarters," onto the gift shop.
    A few years later, a busload of British tourists returned from
    an Everglades excursion in a tizzy: Something tall and hairy
    appeared on a dusty road roughly two miles from the brothers' gift
    shop. A park ranger later admitted spotting something similar
    nearby, too.
    Statewide sightings had been reported before, though some turned
    out to be monkeys on the loose.
    "There's plenty of evidence, but no scientific proof," said
    Bob Carr, executive director of the Archaeological and Historical
    Conservancy in Davie. "But Dave has done a heck of a job to
    promote it."
    Another expert, Dr. Jeffrey Meldrum, an associate professor in
    biological science at Idaho State University, said he has seen
    compelling, extra-large footprints before, some with textured
    imprints of skin, from the Pacific Northwest and southern Georgia.
    But a cast footprint from Shealy, obtained by a cryptozoologist,
    left him unconvinced.
    "It was not anatomically satisfying that this was left by a
    living animal," Meldrum said.
    Shealy, for his part, swears that he is neither the skunk ape
    nor a hoaxer, even though he keeps 13 assorted gorilla masks pinned
    to his bedroom wall and donned an ape suit to re-enact the beast
    for the TV show Unsolved Mysteries.
    Now, after years of dead ends, Shealy's ship may be coming in.
    After performing at a Skunk Ape Festival, Nate Martin, a local
    musician, made a film about Shealy's skunk ape quest.
    Footage includes Shealy setting out piles of wet lima beans to
    entice the creature, Shealy locating a tuft of long brown hair on a
    wire fence - "Yep, definitely a skunk ape!" Shealy announces
    after taking a deep whiff - and the creature itself, tall, lanky
    and slightly auburn, bounding through the woods.
    The film debuted recently at a Marco Island club and was
    apparently warmly met. Shealy said he could barely keep up with
    demand for his T-shirts, the backer started talking about film
    festival distribution, and David Letterman's show called.
    "It's all good, so many people came. People came from Lion
    Country Safari," an ebullient Shealy said. "The movie is the
    biggest thing that ever happened outside of getting busted."
    End advance

(Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Talking

If only they'd learn to put the lid down...
    CANBERRA (Reuters) - The line for the toilet is about to
    get longer.
    Fed up with the mess created by kitty litter and inspired
    by the cat "Mr Jinks" in the Hollywood film "Meet the Fockers,"
    an Australian woman has invented a toilet training system for
    cats called the "Litter-Kwitter."
    Mother-of-two Jo Lapidge is flushed with success after
    teaching her family's Burmese cat, Doogal, to use the toilet.
    "Doogal has fallen in, but he hasn't fallen in by accident,
    he has done it playing with the water," Lapidge told Reuters.
    The Litter-Kwitter (http://litterkwitter.com.au/) is a
    three-step process, starting with a red toilet seat-shaped disc
    filled with cat litter and sitting on the floor next to the
    toilet, like a normal tray. Next the red disc is placed on the
    toilet so the cat can get used to jumping up onto the seat.

Red face

Don't do me any more favors...
    BERLIN (Reuters) - After accepting what appeared to be a
    kind offer from a German motorist to tow his broken car, a
    stranded Polish motorist was taken on a terrifying high-speed
    joyride at speeds of 160 kph (100 mph), police said Tuesday.
    Police said a 36-year-old German man who offered assistance
    proceeded to hurl down the motorway at high speeds after tying
    a cable to the stranded car.
    The motorist, who remained inside his vehicle during the
    tow, flashed his lights and honked his horn at the speeding
    driver to stop. Police said the Pole was finally able to bring
    the German to a halt by swerving his car back and forth.
    The German was taken to a psychiatric clinic, police said.

Thread Information