Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Weird But True

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Default The Cavemen

No not us but.....

November 25, 2005 -- Take my loincloth — please! Cavemen invented slapstick — predating the Stooges and Groucho by a mere 2 million years. Our ancestors laughed to relieve stress from continuous hunting and gathering, say Binghamton State University biologists David Sloan Wilson and Matthew Gervais. A study of cranial evidence found that Cavemen communicated through slapstick before language evolved.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

November 26, 2005 -- Baltimore is plagued by a different kind of grand theft. Teams of thieves dressed up as utility crews are stealing 250-pound light poles. About 130 of the 30-foot poles have been pilfered from sites all over the city, officials said. Police suspect the crooks are selling the aluminum poles for scrap metal, at about 30 to 35 cents a pound.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

November 27, 2005 -- New Yorkers might have a reputation for being callous, but we've got nothing on Gary, Ind. A gas-station clerk there told a woman who was held up at knife point to "use your cellphone" to call for help. Incredibly, the station has a policy whereby clerks do not make emergency calls, due to fear of retaliation from criminals.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Forum Member

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by E40FDNYL35
    November 27, 2005 -- New Yorkers might have a reputation for being callous, but we've got nothing on Gary, Ind. A gas-station clerk there told a woman who was held up at knife point to "use your cellphone" to call for help. Incredibly, the station has a policy whereby clerks do not make emergency calls, due to fear of retaliation from criminals.

If that were my family member they denied, they would have a whole new fear to deal with...Retaliation of victims!

...Who opened the truckload of woopass?!

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

November 28, 2005 -- A California man attached his private parts to a truck and pulled it several yards. Martial-arts grandmaster Tu Jin-Sheng of Freemont said he employed Qi Gong, the ancient Chinese art of movement and breathing, to increase his energy for the pull. The stunt was filmed for a British TV show called "Penis Envy," to be aired next year.

Gee, sounds like a ratings grabber.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Default Police: Man steals $200,000 worth of Lego sets

Updated: 7:42 a.m. ET Nov. 25, 2005
    PORTLAND, Ore. - Agents had to use a 20-foot truck to cart away the evidence from a suspect’s house — mountains of Lego bricks.

William Swanberg, 40, of Reno, Nev., is accused of stealing hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of the colorful plastic building blocks.

Swanberg was indicted by a grand jury in Hillsboro, a Portland suburb, which charged him with stealing Lego sets from Target stores.

Target estimates Swanberg stole up to $200,000 worth of the brick sets pilfered from their stores in Oregon, Utah, Arizona, Nevada and California. The Legos were resold on the Internet, officials said.

Attempts to reach Swanberg at a county jail, where he was being held on $250,000 bail, were unsuccessful. It was not known if he had retained an attorney.

Bar codes switched
    Swanberg is accused of switching the bar codes on Lego boxes, replacing an expensive one with a cheaper label, said Detective Troy Dolyniuk, a member of the Washington County fraud and identity theft enforcement team.

Target officials contacted police after noticing the same pattern at their stores in the five western states. A Target security guard stopped Swanberg at a Portland-area store Nov. 17, after he bought 10 boxes of the Star Wars Millennium Falcon set.

In his parked car, detectives found 56 of the Star Wars sets, valued at $99 each, as well as 27 other Lego sets. In a laptop found inside Swanberg’s car, investigators also found the addresses of numerous Target stores in the Portland area, their locations carefully plotted on a mapping software.

Records of the Lego collector’s Web site, Bricklink.Com, show that Swanberg has sold nearly $600,000 worth of Legos since 2002, said Dolyniuk.

Lego’s Danish founder Ole Kirk Christiansen named the famous bricks in 1934 by fusing two Danish words, “leg” and “godt” meaning “play well.”

Children across the world spend 5 billion hours every year playing with Lego bricks, available in 90 different colors, according to the company’s Web site.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Default The early bird catches fire, burns the house

The early bird catches fire, burns the house

Workers frying pre-Thanksgiving turkey torch home they’d just built

AP
    Updated: 2:54 p.m. ET Nov. 23, 2005

EUGENE, Ore. - A construction worker’s tradition of cooking a turkey for an early Thanksgiving celebration went awry when a deep fryer caught fire, burning the house he and his co-workers had just finished building.

Cement worker Henry Schmerber bought a propane fryer Tuesday and set it up inside the vacant house’s garage. Workers took turns watching the kettle.

But the fryer’s thermometer was broken, and oil inside the kettle overheated, spilling onto the burner and igniting, workers said. Flames spread through the garage and up the front of the house to the second floor.

The men used a fire extinguisher to no avail.

Eugene District Fire Chief Paul Dammen estimated the loss at $75,000. The home, which had not been sold, was insured.

Undaunted, Schmerber and his co-workers bought a second turkey and cooked it in the backyard of a house across the street.

“We’re gonna burn another house down,” Schmerber joked.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

November 28, 2005 -- A California man attached his private parts to a truck and pulled it several yards. Martial-arts grandmaster Tu Jin-Sheng of Freemont said he employed Qi Gong, the ancient Chinese art of movement and breathing, to increase his energy for the pull. The stunt was filmed for a British TV show called "Penis Envy," to be aired next year.

Gee, sounds like a ratings grabber.
    Maybe not ratings, but a grabber of SOMETHING, that's for sure
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Brazilian prisons crown Miss Penitentiary 2005 in contest entered by 40

Paulo Winterstein, Canadian Press Published: Friday, November 25, 2005

SAO PAULO, Brazil (AP) - South America's latest beauty queen won't be campaigning abroad for world peace any time soon. Unless, of course, it helps get her out of prison.

Angelica Mazua, a statuesque Angolan facing international drug smuggling charges, on Thursday was voted Miss Penitentiary 2005 after a six-hour contest pitting 40 female inmates from 10 prisons around Brazil's largest city, Sao Paulo.

"People told me, 'You're tall. You should enter the contest,' so that's why I entered," said Mazua, who has been jailed for four months and faces about five years behind bars if convicted. "I've always been interested in fashion."

Other women imprisoned on charges of everything from armed robbery to drug trafficking took part in the contest that prison officials began last year as a way of trying to boost inmates' self-confidence.

"It helps their self-esteem," said Irani Torres, director of a prison in the city of Rio Claro. "It helps them feel human. It shows that they're capable people, that independent of the crime, they are a part of society."

The title also brings a prize equivalent to about $185 Cdn and a much-needed break from dreary routine.

The sweltering heat inside the Capital Female Penitentiary was only made worse by the dozens of hair dryers working overtime. But anxious contestants did not seem to mind.

Contestant Caroline Goncalves said before the vote that she hoped a victory could launch her modelling career. But she also said she'd be satisfied if she could shave some time off her prison sentence.

"This will put me a little closer to getting out of here," the 25-year-old convict said as stylists tugged at her long blond hair and put the finishing touches on her pencilled-in eyebrows.

"Afterward, we're going to be able to talk to people from (fashion) magazines," said a clearly nervous Goncalves, who is serving five years and four months for assault with a deadly weapon.

Last year's winner, Fernanda Maria de Jesus, gained early release months after her victory, but prison officials insist the shortened sentence had nothing to do with her winning the title.

The contest is more than just a beauty pageant. Judges include celebrities, soccer players and journalists, and there are prizes in three other categories including writing, public speaking and congeniality.

But one of the contestants in the writing competition, Viviane Souza, 23, complained that the beauty pageant winner gets all the attention, including appearances on television shows.

"Last year they just showed the beauty contest winner. Why not show the ones who wrote, the ones who used their minds?" asked Souza, who hopes to become a journalist when she finishes her 21-month sentence for drug dealing.

Even so, many were glad for the chance to let their hair down - or to fix it up.

"I'm not bothered by the attention the beauty contest (winner) receives," said Maria Aparecida de Almeida, 39. "She is raising the banner for all of us. She's a prisoner and she managed to make it. She helps all of us."

Peru and Colombia also hold beauty contests in prisons. Sao Paulo's is one of the largest, drawing from its female population of almost 4,000 inmates.

© The Canadian Press 2005
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

November 29, 2005 -- A South Dakota man has been charged with indecent exposure after he was allegedly found partially undressed on the floor with a half-naked female mannequin. "There was inappropriate activity between him and the mannequin. That's the only way I know how to put it," Sioux Falls police officer Loren McManus said of suspect Michael James Plentyhorse, 18.

We imagine attempts to interview the "victim" were unsuccessful.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

November 29, 2005 -- A South Dakota man has been charged with indecent exposure after he was allegedly found partially undressed on the floor with a half-naked female mannequin. "There was inappropriate activity between him and the mannequin. That's the only way I know how to put it," Sioux Falls police officer Loren McManus said of suspect Michael James Plentyhorse, 18.

We imagine attempts to interview the "victim" were unsuccessful.
    Wow, there's some sick people out there! Pumpkins, mannequins .... that guy a few years ago with his weinie in a vise in the sofa ... what's next?

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary
    ...... his weinie in a vise in the sofa ...
    Oh boy....
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

MembersZone Subscriber

suspect Michael James Plentyhorse
    With a handle like that?
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

November 30, 2005 -- Thinking of giving a stocking of coal to your misbehaving kids? Here's a more unique gift idea — lock 'em up in their own prison cell. Randolph County in Missouri is auctioning off its old jailhouse on eBay with bids starting at $32,500. Pols got the idea from neighboring Howard County, which sold its jail to a lawyer who plans to make it a country getaway. "After Howard County sold their jail, we were kind of jealous," said County Commissioner Jim Myles. "We wished we had been first."
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Forum Member

Chair Impales, Kills Woman
    Skip directly to the full story.
    By STEPHEN THOMPSON spthompson@tampatrib.com

Published: Nov 30, 2005

DUNEDIN - A 63-year-old woman died Tuesday night when she was impaled by a rocker on a rocking chair in her living room, Pinellas Sheriff's authorities say.

Patricia Bronn-Faber had first bumped her leg against an open dishwasher door in her kitchen at 632 Edgewater Drive, No. 538, Detective Tom Klein said.

She started bleeding, Klein said, so her husband, Carl, in his 80s, came to her aid.

He helped her to the living room entrance, and told her to wait as he prepared a place for her to sit to elevate her leg, sheriff's spokesman Mac McMullen said.

Bronn-Faber then started into the room on her own, and lost her balance, McMullen said.

The heavy set woman fell onto the back of the rocking chair, prompting it to tip forward. The rockers on the chair's legs swung upright and Bronn-Faber's body fell full force onto the left rocker, which speared 2 1/2 inches into her chest, Klein said.

She was transported to Mease Dunedin Hospital following the 8:40 p.m. accident, where she was pronounced dead, McMullen said.

Reporter Stephen Thompson can be reached at (727) 823-3303

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

December 1, 2005 -- Judge Jerry Kaye of Lakeside, Wis., makes sure people caught urinating in public are too embarrassed to do it again. He's forcing them to write signed letters of apology that are published in the local newspaper. "I am so terribly sorry," one red-faced Madison man wrote. "It was not a very intelligent thing to do." Harsh? Hey, at least Kaye isn't rubbing their noses in it.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking WHEN I SAW "SPRINGFIELD"....

Man Leads Police on Slow Lawnmower Case Canadian Press
    Published: Wednesday, November 30, 2005

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) - Bad idea: fleeing from police in a stolen car. Terrible idea: fleeing in a stolen lawnmower. But that's what police say a "happy drunk" did, a decision that landed the suspect back in prison for violating his parole.

Police say they got a tip about a stolen riding lawnmower. When they investigated, they spotted a man driving across a cornfield near Springfield.

"I happened to be driving south when the call went out, and lo and behold, off to the west there was this man bouncing through the cornfield with his ponytail flopping in the breeze," said Kurt Taraba, a police officer in the suburb of Southern View. Sangamon County Sheriff's Deputy Jim Tapscott said authorities set up a perimeter while he and another deputy drove into the field to talk to the lawnmower driver. They identified themselves and told him to stop, but he allegedly tried to drive off.

"I thought, 'You're on a riding mower, and we're in a car,'" Tapscott said with a laugh. "He was only going four or five miles per hour, so I got out and jogged alongside him." The driver finally stopped when police threatened to stun him with a Taser. Police arrested Charles H. Carter, 45, and returned him to the Illinois Department of Corrections. Carter was wearing an ankle monitor because he'd been on home confinement. The Prisoner Review Board will decide whether he goes back on parole or remains in prison to serve the rest of his two-year sentence for theft. Deputies have been unable to determine who owns the Craftsman mower. They said Carter had a handwritten bill of sale for it, but was unable to tell them where it was purchased or provide any other details.

© The Canadian Press 2005

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

December 2, 2005 -- Holy *****
    Cops in Connecticut have started fining school kids for cursing. Officers are now patrolling the halls of Hartford Public and Bulkeley high schools and swearing youngsters can be whacked with fines up to $100. "The kids are really indecent with their swearing, and they're swearing at teachers. This is their way of curtailing it — making the parents pay," said Sam Saylor, of the Parent Teacher Organization.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

MembersZone Subscriber

Default It Took A Scientist To Figure This One Out

Now, there's proof: Men, women different By Jennifer Harper
    THE WASHINGTON TIMES December 2, 2005

Attention, Dr. Frankenstein, and maybe Gloria Steinem: There are girl brains, then there are boy brains. But there's not one generic human brain, no matter what hand-wringing feminists may insist in their quest for sexual equality.

Some stark new clinical evidence shows that men and women are just not the same upstairs.

"The comedians are right. The science proves it. A man's brain and a woman's brain really do work differently," a research team from the University of Alberta in Canada announced yesterday.

After analyzing magnetic resonance imaging (MRIs) of 23 men and 10 women, the team found that the sexes use different areas of the brain even when working on exactly the same task.

"The larger implications of this work is that we may increasingly find out that there are differences in the 'hard wiring' of male and female brains," said study author Dr. Peter Silverstone, a psychiatrist.

Though Dr. Silverstone hopes that these revelations will lead to more innovative ways to treat depression and other mental illnesses, these findings might one day explain certain persistent behaviors that make for a more lively existence.

Why do men, for example, refuse to ask for directions while women are busy peering at maps and landmarks during the same automobile journey? Why do women cry and men sleep through a sappy movie? Could it be that old hard-wiring?

During the Canadian study, volunteers were given memory, language, spatial and coordination tests while their brains were monitored through the MRIs. The patterns revealed that men and women clearly met the challenges differently.

"The results jumped out at us," said Emily Bell, one of the researchers. "Sometimes males and females would perform the same tasks and show different brain activation. And sometimes they would perform different tasks and show the same brain activation."

Similar research also reinforces differences in the brains of men and women.

Psychiatrists at the Stanford University School of Medicine announced Nov. 7 that the sexes have different senses of humor as well. Using MRIs to monitor the brains of 10 men and 10 women as they scanned the newspaper cartoons, researchers found "sex-specific differences in the brain's response to humor."

Men want and expect a good punch line. But women have a greater appreciation for language and fewer expectations, but if the punch line delivers, they have a greater sense of "reward," the psychiatrists found.

The sexes also differ in the intelligence department.

"Human evolution has created two different types of brains designed for equally intelligent behavior," said psychologist Richard Haier of the University of California at Irvine upon releasing his study of male and female brains in January.

Again using MRIs, he found that men have more than six times the amount of gray matter -- which controls information processing -- in their brains as women do. But females have 10 times the amount of white matter, which controls networking abilities.

The findings "may help explain why men excel in tasks requiring more local processing (like mathematics) while women tend to excel at integrating and assimilating information ... such as required for language," the study found.

There's some reassuring common ground, though. A study of almost 700 adults released yesterday by Cornell University found that men and women are happier with each other, rather than alone. And the stronger the relationship's commitment, the greater the happiness and sense of well-being of the partners, the analysis found.

"Being married is associated with higher self-esteem, greater life satisfaction, greater happiness and less distress, whereas people who are not in stable romantic relationships tend to report lower self-esteem, less life satisfaction, less happiness and more distress," sociologist Claire Kamp Dushsaid yesterday.

Just to add a bit to this, there was a commentary on the radio the other day about the number of words used in a day between men and women. It has been determined that men use an average of 2000 words per day, whereas women use 5000 words. So when a man gets home, he's pretty much used up his quota for the day, but the woman still has another 3000 to go......

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

December 3, 2005 -- Talk about gratitude — a Louisiana family displaced by Hurricane Katrina left a home donated by a Maryland family this week, but not before spray-painting "MD sucks" on a wall. Refugee Sandra Brown told the Baltimore Sun she was sorry for the slight — and that it was her son who left the message — but added that she still wasn't too happy because her benefactors "treated my husband and me like children."
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Forum Member

December 3, 2005 -- Talk about gratitude — a Louisiana family displaced by Hurricane Katrina left a home donated by a Maryland family this week, but not before spray-painting "MD sucks" on a wall. Refugee Sandra Brown told the Baltimore Sun she was sorry for the slight — and that it was her son who left the message — but added that she still wasn't too happy because her benefactors "treated my husband and me like children."
    Ungrateful BIATCH!

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber
    Sitting on my Laa Laa waiting for my Yaa Yaa

This town isn't too far from me. Yeah, "MD Sucks", but her two boys have found work and at least one of them says he's not going back.
    Chris Minick, P.E., Firefighter II
    Structures Specialist, MD-TF 1

These statements are mine and mine alone
    I.A.C.O.J. Building crust and proud of it

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

December 4, 2005 -- A Canadian man was acquitted of sexual-assault charges after a sleep expert testified that he suffers from "sex-somnia" — involuntary sexual behavior while sleeping. The victim, who said she fell asleep at a party and awoke to find Jan Luedecke, 33, having sex with her, left the Toronto courtroom in tears. Luedecke confessed to cops when he realized he was wearing a condom.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Forum Member

December 4, 2005 -- A Canadian man was acquitted of sexual-assault charges after a sleep expert testified that he suffers from "sex-somnia" — involuntary sexual behavior while sleeping. The victim, who said she fell asleep at a party and awoke to find Jan Luedecke, 33, having sex with her, left the Toronto courtroom in tears. Luedecke confessed to cops when he realized he was wearing a condom.
    Shocking!

I've heard of this happening before, in fact I probably heard about it on FH, within the last year or two at the most. I don't think the other case was Canadian though. For some reason I'm thinking NE of the US, and involved the rapist breaking into the woman's home.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

December 5, 2005 -- The big boom anticipated by thousands of spectators gathered in Sioux Falls, S.D., turned out to be a big bust when the dynamite exploded as planned but failed to blow the Zip Feed Mill to smithereens. When the smoke cleared, the 200-foot-tall structure was still standing. "It took the first floor out, and [the mill] is leaning at about a 30-degree angle," said the city's risk emergency manager, Regan Smith, adding that he plans to finish the job with some good old-fashioned wrecking balls.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40