Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Weird But True

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

40 drunken Santas go on crime rampage in New Zealand's largest city
    17/12/2005 8:47:00 PM

WELLINGTON, N.Z. (AP) - A group of 40 people dressed in Santa Claus outfits, many of them drunk, went on a rampage through Auckland, New Zealand's largest city, robbing stores, assaulting security guards and urinating from highway overpasses, police said Sunday.

The rampage, dubbed Santarchy by local newspapers, began early Saturday afternoon when the men, wearing ill-fitting Santa costumes, threw beer bottles and urinated on cars from an overpass, said Auckland Central Police spokesman Noreen Hegarty.
    She said the men then rushed through a central city park, overturning garbage containers, throwing bottles at passing cars and spraying graffiti on office buildings.

One man climbed the mooring line of a cruise ship before being ordered down by the captain. Other Santas, objecting when the man was arrested, attacked security staff who were later treated by paramedics, Hegarty said.

The remaining Santas entered another downtown convenience store and carried off beer and soft drinks.

"They came in, said 'Merry Christmas' and then helped themselves," store owner Changa Manakynda said.

Two security guards were treated for cuts after being struck by beer bottles, Hegarty said. Three people, including the man who climbed on the cruise ship, were arrested and charged with drunkenness and disorderly behavior.

Alex Dyer, a spokesman for the group, said Santarchy is a worldwide movement designed to protest the commercialization of Christmas.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

December 20, 2005 -- 5 Days Till Christmas
    An Indiana cafeteria worker thought it odd a fourth-grader would pay for his lunch with a $20 bill until it turned out the money was counterfeit. Cops busted the 10-year-old boy and two classmates at Marquette Ele mentary School in Gary for for gery and theft after they alle gedly used a computer to make phony 20s, 10s, a fiver and several sin gles, totaling $179.
    Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 12-20-2005 at 06:16 AM.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

December 21, 2005 -- Move over, King Kong Snowzilla is here. The 16-foot-tall creature, based on Godzilla, was made of snow and ice over four weeks by Billy Ray Powers and his kids and neighbors in Anchorage, Alaska. Now, it's become a red-hot tourist attraction. Because he's too big to have buttons for eyes, Snowzilla gazes over his admirers from beer bottles.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

December 22, 2005 -- A Florida teen who caused a fatal crash by drunkenly pulling on the steering wheel of a pal's car as a joke has pleaded guilty to manslaughter after confessing on his online blog. Blake Ranking, 18, of Tavares, admitted, "I did it," on his blurty.com journal after previously telling cops he remembered nothing of the crash that killed his best friend. "I turned the wheel that sent us off the road, into the concrete drain . . . How can I be fine when everyone else is so messed up?" he said on the blog.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

And now he'll have the rest of his life to consider the results of his stupidity.

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

(1) Robbin Doolin, 31, accidentally fell from her car while driving on U.S. 71 in Kansas City, Mo., in July when she opened the door to spit and leaned too far. (She quickly jumped up and chased her car, which left the road and ran down an embankment.) [Kansas City Star, 7-30-05]

(2) In Amarillo, Texas, Bobby Reynolds, 74, and his son Gary, 43, were hospitalized in July after an incident in which their car got stuck on tracks at a railroad crossing. After unsuccessfully trying the move it, reported the Amarillo Globe-News, they somehow fell asleep in the car and were later hit by a train.[Amarillo Globe-News, 6-28-05]

(3)Ryan T. Green was convicted of murder in Pensacola, Fla., in October despite his defense that he was certain the "A" on his police officer-victim's hat was for Antichrist, whom he was obligated to kill. [WKMG-TV (Orlando)-AP, 10-21-05]

(4)Reyes Olivares was charged with murder in Las Vegas, Nev., despite his defense in October that his construction-foreman-victim was a sorcerer who put a spell on him with his flatulence. [Las Vegas Review-Journal, 10-18-05]

(5)In November, Parker Houghtaling, 23, standing on a station platform in Poughkeepsie, N.Y., was hit in the head when he leaned out too far over the tracks as a Metro-North train was arriving. The Poughkeepsie Journal reported that Houghtaling was similarly hit by a New York City subway car in 2002 when he leaned out too far. (He was hospitalized both times.) [Poughkeepsie Journal, 11-21-05]
    Last edited by RadRob; 12-22-2005 at 12:43 PM.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

December 22 -- NYPD locked up Santa last night. I know this sounds Weird but I'm not so sure if it's true. But this is New York and anything can happen in this town. South Pole News Flash
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

December 23, 2005 -- You can have yourself a kinky little Christmas in Rome.
    That's where a church is displaying a Nativity scene that includes naked women and transvestites standing near the baby Jesus. Father Raffaele has refused to remove it despite church parishioners' complaints, saying "such scenes are a part of reality."
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by E40FDNYL35
    December 23, 2005 -- You can have yourself a kinky little Christmas in Rome.
    That's where a church is displaying a Nativity scene that includes naked women and transvestites standing near the baby Jesus. Father Raffaele has refused to remove it despite church parishioners' complaints, saying "such scenes are a part of reality."
    THAT'S different There are other places that you can't even display Nativity scenes because it might offend someone who doesn't believe in God in this PC world we live in now, but one would think that Rome would be a bit more ... I dunno ... respectful .... traditional ....

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary
    THAT'S different There are other places that you can't even display Nativity scenes because it might offend someone who doesn't believe in God in this PC world we live in now, but one would think that Rome would be a bit more ... I dunno ... respectful .... traditional ....
    According to Freud -
    The preacher is trying to "come out" and this is his passive-aggressive way of doing so.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Father Raffaele has refused to remove it despite church parishioners' complaints, saying "such scenes are a part of reality."
    What I get from this line is that the parishioners must think that the story of the birth of Jesus is (or must be) a hyperbole, and therefore not a rendition of a true story....?

**or maybe I should just got to lunch, because I would therefore appear to be "out to lunch"....
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

December 24, 2005 -- A group of public-spirited Milwaukee citizens wants to give the city a warmer image by moving its official thermometer to a warmer location. The thermometer currently takes reading at the local airport, two miles west of Lake Michigan, where it's often 10 degrees cooler than farther inland. The group the Spirit of Milwaukee figures the city would attract more tourists and earn a higher ranking on "Best Places to Live" surveys if it was "officially" warmer.

December 24, 2005 -- Teenager Mary Kathleen O'Connor of Englewood, Pa., screamed when the angel popped off the top of her family's Christmas tree and a head with glowing eyes peered out at her. Her parents came running and discovered an opossum playing possum in the Douglas fir they had purchased bundled. A local conservation officer captured the critter, but the O'Connors are taking no chances. Their tree, fully decorated, is now in their front yard.

December 24, 2005 -- Rhode Island's official Christmas tree is dead. The 18-foot Colorado blue spruce lost its needles and died after workers at the statehouse in Providence following a stringent new fire code dried the tree with fans and sprayed it with a fire-retardant chemical. Next year, the state will probably opt for an artificial tree, said Gov. Donald Carcieri.

December 24, 2005 -- A sex-toy and video-mail-order company in Hillsborough, N.C., has been named business of the year by the local chamber of commerce. PHE Inc., whose products include steamy videos and flavored sugar-free lubricants, was picketed by ministers when it moved to the area 11 years ago. "We didn't have any problem giving them the award," said chamber boss Robbin Taylor-Hall. "We don't look at some of the items they sell."

December 24, 2005 -- They've gotta rein in their reindeer in Germany. One very likely Dasher escaped from a children's petting zoo in Baden-Baden, and tore up the greens on a nearby golf course. After an hours-long chase, he was caught by police. But the zoo is going to have to pay a pretty hefty greens fee to cover the damage.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

December 25, 2005 -- A poll of Germans found that the Christmas tree, which originated in that country, is more important for a happy holiday than spending time with family. The poll found that the traditional tree topped the list of things they couldn't imagine doing without at Christmas. Family came in second. Then came singing carols, and fourth was getting presents.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Black applicants were five times more likely than whites to fail the most recent FDNY written exam - inflaming a longstanding debate about the department's recruiting, the Daily News has learned.
    The Department of Justice is conducting a probe into FDNY hiring practices, but there's no timetable on when the review will be complete. If the feds ordered mandatory hiring, it wouldn't be the first time. Between 1973 and 1977, a 3-to-1 rule was imposed on the FDNY, ordering the department to hire a minority firefighter for every three white firefighters. "We may be going the way of other fire departments across the country," said a fire official, who asked not to be named. "The federal government might eventually step in and issue hiring mandates." At the center of the current controversy is a 100-question test. The exam includes memorization questions and a multiple-choice section specific to the fire service.
    Detractors say the test is inherently biased, because black applicants generally come from poor performing city schools. "The department has never proven a relationship between the skills measured by the written test and the skills required to be a good firefighter," said Shayana Kadidal, an attorney for the Center for Constitutional Rights, which is representing the Vulcan Society, a group that represents black firefighters, and three black applicants who brought federal complaints. FDNY officials defend the test and have vowed not to change it, but officials said diversity remains a priority for the FDNY."It's a long haul," Fire Commissioner Magoo said. "You need a consistent effort, and that's exactly what we're doing. This is a very high priority.... We'll do it."Magoo, who doubts the feds will force the hiring of black firefighters, said the written exam is not the problem."It's a level playing field," he said. "It's a color-blind test." The 11,500-member department is less than 3% black, about the same percentage from 30 years ago and down from a peak of about 7% in the early 1980s. The number of minority firefighter hires has tripled in the last five years, with the biggest spike among Latinos. Armed with a $1.4 million recruitment budget, the FDNY has a full-time staff of seven employees who are expected to make an unprecedented push in 2006 to attract more black applicants. They will focus on increasing the number of minority applicants and getting them to take advantage of prep classes.
    By comparison, the NYPD, which is just under 16% black, has more than 30 officers dedicated to recruitment. Its budget is about $5 million. Paul Washington, who heads the Vulcan Society, would welcome the feds. "If something gets imposed on them, then they have no one to blame but themselves," said Washington, the son of a former city firefighter. "The FDNY has had every opportunity to diversify the department voluntarily." Twenty-one black probationary firefighters are expected to be among the 214 graduates of the academy on Friday, one of the largest contingents in the last decade. About half are essentially transfers from the department's EMS branch and half were plucked from the 2002 test."We have to do more," Magoo said. "It's about getting the message out to all communities that being a firefighter is a good job with good benefits."Records show 14.4% of the 1,376 black applicants failed the test, compared with 2.7% of the 13,805 whites. The majority of blacks who passed the test ranked so low that most will never be offered a job.Only 142 black applicants, less than 10%, scored above 95%, generally considered the hiring benchmark."I'd like to get in on my own merit," said Marcus Haywood, 24, who took the test. "But, if they force them to add black firefighters, I'll make the best of it."
    Haywood, of Brooklyn, scored a perfect 100 on the physical exam and 70.588 on the written exam. He earned a 5-point bonus for being a city resident, which when combined with the written and physical exams brought his overall score to 85.713. But that left him ranked 6,990 on the list of potential hires, giving him only a remote chance of becoming a firefighter.Haywood said he'll take the test again when it's offered, which officials said will likely be late next year."I just want to help people," said Haywood, a bulky 6-foot-3, 230-pounder. "If it's meant for me to be a firefighter, it will happen. Race shouldn't have anything to do with it."

Sample questions

Firefighters are at the scene of an uncontrolled fireplace fire. They have followed proper procedure and have just found that the fire has extended into the wall. The next thing the firefighters should do is:

A. Tear open the wall with axes.

B. Put out the fire in the fireplace.

C. Put out the fire in the wall.

D. Make sure the necessary equipment is ready for use.

The correct answer is D

While inspecting an automobile repair garage, Firefighter Morales observed the following conditions:

A. A mechanic is repairing a hole in a half-filled gas tank while smoking a cigarette.

B. A heater is being used to heat the garage.

C. A mechanic is changing the tire on a van while smoking a pipe.

D. There is no fire extinguishing equipment in the garage.

Of the four conditions observed by Firefighter Morales, which is the most dangerous fire hazard?

The correct answer is A.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

December 26, 2005 -- Santa's reindeer are not dead.

Despite rumors circulating among schoolkids in upstate Moravia, the 10 carcasses hanging in front of a local hardware store are not Rudolph and his sleigh-mates.They are 10 caribou that some area sportsmen had bagged in Canada and left hanging outside the store until they could be butchered.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

December 27, 2005 -- The Mounties always get their man and these days, they do it with a little high-tech help. The famed Canadian cops used a satellite-based global-positioning system to track a suspect in a major liquor theft. About 200 cases of booze, valued at $80,000, were swiped from a trucking compound in Kelowna, British Columbia. What the crook didn't know, according to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, is that the truck he stole was equipped with a GPS tracking device. The truck made an hourlong stop outside a Kelowna home and police had no trouble bagging the booze bandit.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Forum Member

December 27, 2005 -- The Mounties always get their man and these days, they do it with a little high-tech help. The famed Canadian cops used a satellite-based global-positioning system to track a suspect in a major liquor theft. About 200 cases of booze, valued at $80,000, were swiped from a trucking compound in Kelowna, British Columbia. What the crook didn't know, according to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, is that the truck he stole was equipped with a GPS tracking device. The truck made an hourlong stop outside a Kelowna home and police had no trouble bagging the booze bandit.
    Sounds just like a KOKANEE commercial

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary
    Sounds just like a KOKANEE commercial...
    What the heck is a Kokanee anyway? A fish
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Forum Member

http://www.kokaneebeer.com/

Kokanee TV commercials have this sasquatch that constantly outwits the "Ranger" with his 3 sexily clad "assistants" and always ends up stealing the Kokanee this "Ranger" is supposed to protect. Hard to explain Kind of James Bond-like, except the sasquatch always wins.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Oh...it's a Canadian thing A
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

December 28, 2005 -- Sgt. 1st Class Jerry Wolford once owned about 200 action figures. Now he's about to become one. Wolford, of Fayetteville, N.C., is one of nine soldiers chosen to be in an online video game called "America's Army: Real Heroes," which lets players fight as actual decorated soldiers. It's made as a recruiting tool by the Army, which will also make plastic dolls of the men. While flattered, Wolford hopes "they don't make me look like a freak."
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

December 29, 2005 -- In the Hawkeye State, a sicko delivered some very unwanted Christmas gifts bottles of his urine, cops say. Truck driver Reno Tobler, 54, of Clive, Iowa, was busted when police caught him allegedly lobbing the waste-filled containers into people's back yards. "We've got a Grinch that has been lobbing urine," said Clive Police Chief Robert Cox.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

December 29, 2005 -- Just call him Santa Claws.
    A Long Island man paid more than $100 for a giant lobster yesterday, to spare the roughly 90-year-old crustacean from its likely fate a pot of boiling water. Alan Stewart, 57, bought the nearly 15-pound shellfish which he promptly nicknamed Hercules so he could retire it to a tank at the New York Aquarium in Coney Island. The Merrick man is president of Aqua- Visions, a company that installs and services aquariums. On Tuesday, while servicing a tank at a Shop Rite Supermarket in Syosset, he noted the 29-inch behemoth. When Stewart realized the Canadian crustacean was a wily senior citizen "who had avoided the fishermen's nets for all those years," he knew he had to rescue the thick-shelled rascal. He paid $103 for Hercules to get him out of the tank before things could hit the boiling point. "He is probably 90 years old close to a century old. I decided to buy him and donate him . . . We're putting him out to pasture," Stewart said. The average 1-pound lobster is about 5 to 7 years old. In the wild, lobsters can live to over 100 years old.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Forum Member

December 29, 2005 -- Just call him Santa Claws.
    A Long Island man paid more than $100 for a giant lobster yesterday, to spare the roughly 90-year-old crustacean from its likely fate a pot of boiling water. Alan Stewart, 57, bought the nearly 15-pound shellfish which he promptly nicknamed Hercules so he could retire it to a tank at the New York Aquarium in Coney Island. The Merrick man is president of Aqua- Visions, a company that installs and services aquariums. On Tuesday, while servicing a tank at a Shop Rite Supermarket in Syosset, he noted the 29-inch behemoth. When Stewart realized the Canadian crustacean was a wily senior citizen "who had avoided the fishermen's nets for all those years," he knew he had to rescue the thick-shelled rascal. He paid $103 for Hercules to get him out of the tank before things could hit the boiling point. "He is probably 90 years old close to a century old. I decided to buy him and donate him . . . We're putting him out to pasture," Stewart said. The average 1-pound lobster is about 5 to 7 years old. In the wild, lobsters can live to over 100 years old.
    I hope Hercules survives ... last time something like this was tried, the poor lobster died after it was saved.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

December 30, 2005 --Happy anniversary to the world's most unlikely couple. It's been one year since a baby hippo named Owen, separated from his family by the Indian Ocean tsunami, made friends with Mzee, a 130-year-old giant tortoise and the pair are still inseparable, even sleeping next to each other. And three may be a crowd if conservation officials in Nairobi, Kenya, who are caring for the pair, have their way. They plan to introduce Owen to a 13-year-old female hippo named Cleo.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40