Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Weird But True

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

May 5, 2006 -- Mike Smith, mayor of New Lenox, Ill., seemed like a real sport when he picked up the $1,400 tab for a strip-club bachelor party - until it was discovered that he had used his village credit card. Smith explained that he didn't have his personal credit card with him, and none of the other celebrants had the means to pay. "It was very poor judgment," he admitted, adding that, "With drinks, sometimes discretion goes out the window."

The village has been reimbursed, he said.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

May 6, 2006 -- A piggish woman, her boyfriend and her two kids were booted from a $5.95 all-you-can-eat buffet in a Chinese restaurant in Urbandale, Iowa - because they left too much food on their plates. The eatery's all-you-can-complain-about manager said he was fed up with them - they took food, didn't finish it, then went back for more of the same.

It's not an all-you-can-waste buffet, he said.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

May 7, 2006 -- Soaring gas prices are driving men to crime.
    A Wisconsin cop pulled over an SUV being driven slowly and found the driver was transporting a dozen containers holding 50 gallons of gas. Andrew Otten, 44, of West Bend, was charged with theft after admitting he used a key from his old job at an elevator company to go in after hours and get the gas.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by E40FDNYL35
    May 7, 2006 -- Soaring gas prices are driving men to crime.
    A Wisconsin cop pulled over an SUV being driven slowly and found the driver was transporting a dozen containers holding 50 gallons of gas. Andrew Otten, 44, of West Bend, was charged with theft after admitting he used a key from his old job at an elevator company to go in after hours and get the gas.

He got pulled over for driving slowly? Can the police acctually do that (barring a minimum speed limit)?
    Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
    (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

What a way to go! I saw the headlines and wondered how this could be. What a strange turn of events. I guess when its "your turn... its your turn".

2 Dead In Parking Garage Crash. Medical Emergency To Blame

POSTED: 5:29 pm EDT May 5, 2006
    UPDATED: 5:52 pm EDT May 5, 2006

WASHINGTON -- A husband and wife died Friday morning after an accident in a parking garage.

The incident happened at a garage on Indiana Avenue Northwest.

Investigators said the man was behind the wheel when he had a medical emergency and lost control of the car. The car then slammed into a wall, trapping the couple.

Both were taken to the hospital in cardiac arrest and later died.

Copyright 2006 by nbc4.com.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

May 10, 2006 -- A pet fish has been blamed for starting a house fire.
    Kipper, an 8-inch catfish in Poole, England, apparently got into a fight with another fish and splashed water onto a nearby electric plug, sending a power surge up the tank's light cable. That burned and melted the tank's plastic lid, which dripped onto a leather couch and set it ablaze. The fire spread quickly and Kipper and five other fish were killed. The humans safely fled.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

MembersZone Subscriber

Man Arrested For Allegedly Driving Lawn Mower Drunk

UPDATED: 5:36 pm EDT May 8, 2006

VERMILION, Ohio -- An Ohio man was arrested Friday for allegedly riding his lawn mower drunk.

Dondi Bowles, 50, was picked up at about 9:45 p.m. Friday after police spotted him driving the riding mower on the sidewalk, television station WEWS-TV in Cleveland reported.

Police said he had driven the mower to a store about a mile away and was on his way home when he was stopped.

Officers said Bowles' blood-alcohol level was 0.144 percent.

His riding lawn mower had to be towed away. {do ya think? LOL }

Distributed by Internet Broadcasting

Back at "The Park", I had a neighbour who used to ride his around, and we know darn well that most times he was in a similar condition.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

May 11, 2006 -- Two St. Louis gas stations lost $10,000 in sales after a computer-savvy thief reprogrammed their pumps and fueled up for free. Before the scam was discovered, hundreds of motorists had followed the perp to the pump and filled up their tanks. Store-surveillance cameras helped cops nail the thief - a recent college grad who had a key that fit the pump-lock boxes and computer coding sheets that enabled him to reprogram the pumps.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

MembersZone Subscriber

DNA Confirms First Known Hybrid Grizzly-Polar Bear In Wild
    Hunter Killed Bear Last Month

POSTED: 8:54 am EDT May 12, 2006

TORONTO -- A DNA test has confirmed what zoologists, hunters and aboriginal trackers in the far northern reaches of Canada have dreamed of for years: the first documented case of a grizzly-polar bear in the wild.

Roger Kuptana, an Inuit tracker from the Northwest Territories, suspected the American hunter he was guiding had shot a hybrid bear after noticing its white fur was spotted brown and it had the long claws and slightly humped back of a grizzly.

Territorial officials seized the bear's body and a DNA test from Wildlife Genetics International, a lab in British Columbia, confirmed the hybrid was born of a polar bear mother and grizzly father.

"It's something we've all known was theoretically possible because their habitats overlap a little bit and their breeding seasons overlap a little bit," said Ian Stirling, a biologist with the Canadian Wildlife Service in Edmonton, Alberta. "It's the first time it's known to have happened in the wild."

He said the first person to realize something was different about the bear -- shot and killed last month on the southern end of Banks Island in the Beaufort Sea -- was Kuptana, the guide.

"These guides know their animals and they recognized that there were a number of things that didn't look quite right for a polar bear," Stirling told The Associated Press. The bear's eyes were ringed with black, its face was slightly indented, it had a mild hump to its back and long claws.

Stirling said polar bears and grizzlies have been successfully paired in zoos and that their offspring are fertile, but there had been no documented case in the wild.

Kuptana, a guide from Sachs Harbour in the Northwest Territories, was tracking with Idaho big-game hunter Jim Martell, who paid $45,450 for a license to hunt polar bears.

The DNA results were good news for the 65-year-old hunter, who was facing a possible $909 fine and up to a year in jail for shooting a grizzly. The Northwest Territories Environment and Natural Resources Department now intends to return the bear to Martell.

"It will be quite a trophy," Martell told the National Post last week, even before the DNA results were in. He returned to Yellowknife for another hunt, this time for a grizzly bear. He told the newspaper he has dubbed the creature "polargrizz."

Stirling said his colleagues have come up with a few names of their own for the hybrid: a "pizzly" or a "grolar bear." One colleague suggested calling it "nanulak," combining the Inuit names for polar bear -- "nanuk" -- and grizzly bear, which is "aklak."

"He has a remarkable trophy from his perspective and from the perspective of this whole fraternity of people who like to go big-game hunting for trophies," said Stirling.

When asked how he felt about the rare beast being killed, the biologist would only say that Canada's polar bear hunt - which runs from December through the end of May - is done on a sustainable basis.

Colin Adjun, a wildlife officer in Kugluktuk on the northern mainland in western Nunavut, said he's heard stories about an oddly colored bear cavorting with polars.

"It was a light chocolate color along with a couple of polar bears," Adjun said. Though people have talked about the possibility of a mix, "it hasn't happened in our area," he said.

Three years ago, a research team spotted a grizzly on uninhabited Melville Island, 215 miles north of where Martell bagged his crossbreed.

Polar bear and grizzly territories also overlap in the Western Arctic around the Beaufort Sea, where the occasional grizzly is known to head onto the sea ice looking for food after emerging from hibernation. Some grizzly bears make it over the ice all the way to Banks Island and Victoria Island, where they have been spotted and shot.

That might explain how a grizzly got to the region, but few can explain how it managed to get along with a polar bear long enough to mate.

David Paetkau, a geneticist with Wildlife Genetics, said the hybrid bear could be an anomaly. He said that if the two types of bear continue to mate, it would water down the breeds. He also said that scientists worry melting ice caps in the Arctic could soon have a detrimental impact on polar bears, which thrive in an icy environment.

According to the National Wildlife Federation, there are about 1,200 grizzlies in the lower 48 United States, 32,000 in Alaska, and 25,000 in Canada. Stirling said there are some 24,000 polar bears in Canada, Greenland, Russia and Alaska.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

May 12, 2006 -- Otis Wilkins of Durham, N.C., pleaded guilty to tossing a homemade bomb at his ex-girlfriend - despite claiming he was really aiming at a beaver dam that was obstructing a waterway. And that's not all that went wrong, according to his lawyer. He said the bomb was accidentally ignited when an ash from Wilkins' cigarette fell on the fuse. And then, after it exploded, it rolled toward Wilkins and set his shorts afire.

You could say he really bombed - he now faces 10 months in jail for assault.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

May 13, 2006 -- A picture is worth 1,000 words - and perhaps 1,000 days in jail. A man in Statesboro, Ga., was so proud of his success as a gardener that he took photos and went to a local drugstore to have the film developed. He was arrested when he went to pick up the photos - which were of a bumper crop of marijuana.

NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

May 14, 2006 -- Two teens in suburban Washington who torched stores, a bowling alley, buses, and cars never might have been caught - if they hadn't bragged about their pyrotechnic crimes on MySpace.com, where they even posted photos of their "handiwork." The two unidentified 17-year-olds face 22 charges including arson and are being held in a juvenile detention center.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

May 15, 2006 -- A lover whose girlfriend rejected his marriage proposal tossed away her $1,000 diamond ring - into a panhandler's pot. But the honest beggar took his 2.5-carat loot to cops in Britain. If the jilted boyfriend doesn't claim the ring within 28 days, it will become the vagrant's property.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

MembersZone Subscriber

May 14, 2006 -- Two teens in suburban Washington who torched stores, a bowling alley, buses, and cars never might have been caught - if they hadn't bragged about their pyrotechnic crimes on MySpace.com, where they even posted photos of their "handiwork." The two unidentified 17-year-olds face 22 charges including arson and are being held in a juvenile detention center.
    I saw this one in the paper on Friday... not cool, Dudes....

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

May 16, 2006 -- Some people hang mobiles in their homes, but not millionaire Richard Moriarty. He's hung an automobile in his mansion.
    And not just any auto. Moriarty had a crane lower a 1974 Lamborghini through the living-room skylights of his new home in Newport Beach, Calif., so it could be bolted to the wall. The engine of the pricey sports car had been removed earlier and turned into a coffee table - for guests who enjoy their drinks "shaken not stirred," Moriarty explained.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking See What Them Auzzies Are Up To Now?

New Zealand Not Really For Sale, eBay Says

POSTED: 10:43 am EDT May 15, 2006

SYDNEY, Australia -- New Zealand's not for sale.

A prankster in neighboring Australia listed the nation of New Zealand on eBay.

Bidding rose to more than $2,300 before the Internet auction site pulled the plug on the bogus listing.

There were more than 20 bids.

An eBay Australia spokesman said that, clearly, the South Pacific nation isn't for sale.

There's an intense rivalry between New Zealand and Australia. (ed. Do ya Think? )

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Talk about a penny-ante policy.

May 16, 2006 -- The local power company in Flint, Mich., turned off the electricity in a woman's home because she was one cent short when she paid her $1,662.08 bill. Jacqueline Williams said she was left in the dark until "I went down there, paid my penny, and got a receipt."
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

May 17, 2006 -- It started out as a home-improvement project, but ended up as a home demolition. Stevie Spencer of Denver, N.C., had taken a brief smoking break while painting his house. Ready to go back to work, he tried to snuff out his cigarette - in a bowl of paint thinner. It ignited a fire that destroyed his house. "I thought it was water," he said of the clear liquid.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

MembersZone Subscriber

I saw some of this during dinner in the Station last night.....

Chantilly Couple Arrested After Getting Lost In Baltimore
    Couple Went To Orioles Game, Ends Up Arrested, Robbed

POSTED: 5:34 pm EDT May 17, 2006
    UPDATED: 7:47 pm EDT May 17, 2006

WASHINGTON -- A Chantilly couple got more than they bargained for after going to an Orioles game over the weekend.

Llara Brook, 20, and her boyfriend, Josh Kelly, 22, got lost on their way home from the game on Saturday.

The couple said they stopped in the 800 block of Bridgeview Drive in Cherry Hill to ask a police officer for directions.

Kelly said instead of giving them help, the officer wrote them a ticket for running a stop sign and told them to leave.

The couple said they drove about 40 feet and stopped, but the officer pulled up behind them. They said the officer then arrested them for trespassing, saying they had parked on private property.

Kelly said the officer told him that "no trespassing signs" were posted along the street, but he didn't see any.

After Kelly's arrest, Brook said, she was told to leave the scene, but the car was being impounded and she was afraid to leave her boyfriend behind. She said the officer arrested her for not leaving the scene fast enough.

The couple said that after they were released, they paid $200 to get the car out of impound and discovered that some of their belongings that had been in the vehicle, such as CDs and a cell phone charger, had been taken.

The couple plans to file a complaint against the police department.

Baltimore police are investigating the incident.

Copyright 2006 by nbc4.com.

So much for asking for help eh?

MembersZone Subscriber
    Sitting on my Laa Laa waiting for my Yaa Yaa

They had the misfortune of getting lost in one of roughest areas of the City. Usually the only reason young white kids would be in that neighborhood would be to buy drugs.

While not justifiable, I'm sure that fact probably played into the officer's actions.
    Chris Minick, P.E., Firefighter II
    Structures Specialist, MD-TF 1

These statements are mine and mine alone
    I.A.C.O.J. Building crust and proud of it

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

May 18, 2006 -- A minor-league pitcher has been traded for 60 cases of beer. Not just any minor-league pitcher - but Nigel Thatch, the actor who plays cocky fictitious athlete Leon in the Budweiser commercials. The Schaumburg (Ill.) Flyers dealt Thatch, who is 0-3 in seven starts, to the Fullerton (Calif.) Flyers, whose manager quipped, "This trade is a bargain for us. We were prepared to throw in a Clydesdale as well."
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Default Blazing Raccoon Sets Missouri Home on Fire

A home at 33rd Street and Mersington Avenue was damaged by fire Wednesday when a man tried to smoke out a family of raccoons that had invaded the upper level of his home.
    "I'd see him; he came out every night. I'd take my BB gun and shoot it. He'd take off and come right back," C.W. Roseburr said. "He had a nest up in there. I think he had three or four baby raccoons up there."
    Roseburr, 72, told KMBC's Maria Antonia that he had a rag with kerosene on it on the end of the stick, and he was trying to get the animals out when the eaves caught fire. "I set the raccoon on fire. He's the one that set the house on fire," Roseburr said. "I had no idea this was going to happen." Fire crews were called and quickly put out the blaze. No one was hurt. Animal control officers could find only two baby raccoons. The animals were taken away. Antonia said that a nature center would care for them for the time being.
    Firefighters recommend calling an animal expert rather than trying to smoke out varmints. "This is the first time I've seen anything like this, and I know they've learned a valuable lesson: You call somebody that knows how to handle these situations," Kansas City Fire Chief Mark Falder said. "C.W., given what's happened, what would you do differently?" Antonia asked. "I'd probably do the same thing again," Roseburr said. He and his family will be staying elsewhere for a while.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

May 19, 2006 -- A Labrador retriever rescued a 9-year-old boy who had fallen into a river in Glenwood Springs, Colo. Ryan Rambo - whose family relocated to Colorado after Hurricane Katrina demolished their home in Louisiana - was thrown overboard when his raft hit a log. The dog heard his screams, jumped in and swam to shore with Ryan clinging to him. "How ironic. We come here to get away from flood waters, and he nearly drowns in the river," said Ryan's mom.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

MembersZone Subscriber

Monopoly Maker Drops Boardwalk From New Edition

POSTED: 7:30 am EDT May 18, 2006

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. -- Hasbro, the toy and game maker, is not including Boardwalk in a special edition of Monopoly scheduled for release late this summer.

Instead, the "Monopoly: Here and Now Edition" will use streets, neighborhoods and national monuments from 22 U.S. cities. The cities, picked by Hasbro based on population, popularity as tourist destinations and input from the company's game designers, include Chicago, San Francisco and New Orleans.

Civic leaders near Atlantic City, N.J. are aghast, even trying to sway Hasbro with a petition. Boardwalk is the most expensive and prestigious property.

But the company is intent on marketing the new version of Monopoly, even though the traditional version will still be sold -- the game originally sold by Parker Brothers.

For Atlantic City, this is another insult. It follows a decision by the Miss America pageant to move the beauty contest to Las Vegas after 84 years on the Boardwalk.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

May 19, 2006 -- A Labrador retriever rescued a 9-year-old boy who had fallen into a river in Glenwood Springs, Colo. Ryan Rambo - whose family relocated to Colorado after Hurricane Katrina demolished their home in Louisiana - was thrown overboard when his raft hit a log. The dog heard his screams, jumped in and swam to shore with Ryan clinging to him. "How ironic. We come here to get away from flood waters, and he nearly drowns in the river," said Ryan's mom.
    Nice story ... did you get a new puppy yet, Ray?
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Thread Information