Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Weird But True

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Thumbs up

June 3, 2006 -- British officials tried to uphold high standards when it came to filling the post of hangman. Documents from Britain's National Archives reveal that, in 1938, the officials rejected applicants who were chatty, morally dubious or morbid. The country's longest-serving hangman, Thomas Pierrepoint, held the job for 37 years and executed more than 300 people you goto love the Brits
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Forum Member

Talking Our jobs are safe

You gotta lown Darwin for this one. The stupid gene is a resilient little bugger.
    Get your daily fill of those idiots that keep us employed @
    www.darwinawards.com

These are awards given to those who ensure the survival of the human race by removing themselves from the genepool in spectacular and stupid ways - often fire insipred.

an example from this years awards follows

14 May 2001, New York) A woman was found burned to death, her body still on fire on a grassy area adjacent to her home in Rome. A lighter and a melted gas can were discovered nearby. After months of investigation, police turned up no evidence of foul play, and believe her demise was due to her habit of dousing anthills with gasoline while she smoked cigarettes.

DARWIN AWARD (17 April 2006, England) There's always someone who thinks that good advice doesn't apply to them. For example, if advised by a doctor that you are to be covered wtih a flammable material, and the one thing you must not do is go near a naked flame, most people would be able to take this advice onboard, and not strike a match until the flammable material smeared on your body had been taken off.
    However, Phillip, 60, decided he knew better. He was in hospital for the treatment of a skin disease, which consisted of being covered with a paraffin-based cream. He was warned that the cream was flammable and that he definitely shouldn't smoke. But Phillip couldn't live without his cigarettes.

Smoking was not permitted in the ward, but Phillip took this setback in stride, and sneaked out onto a fire escape. Once he was in his little hiding place, he lit up... ahh. Everything went well as he got his nicotine fix; things went downhill only after he finished his cigarette, and ground out the butt with his heel.

Unfortunately, the paraffin skin cream had been absorbed by his clothing. As he stamped out the butt, it lit the fumes coming off his pyjamas. The resulting inferno treated his skin ailment, and left him with first-degree burns over 70% of his body. Despite excellent emergency treatment, he died in the intensive care unit.

Using the Darwin checklist:

1.Reproduction -- if he has children, he's not having any more.
    2.Excellence -- this is one that I'll remember.
    3.Self-Selection -- he was warned that paraffin and flames don't mix.
    4.Maturity -- At 60 I'd guess he was old enough to make his own decisions.
    5.Veracity -- All the major news carriers in the UK had the story.

This ticks all the boxes, and though I feel sorry for the family, I think that it acts as a warning that if a doctor tells you not to smoke, there's probably a very good reason.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

June 4, 2006 -- Lending new meaning to the 1977 comedy title "High Anxiety," a pilot discovered a 41/2-foot snake peering out at him from the instrument panel of his Piper Cherokee - at 3,000 feet. "Nothing in the manuals described anything like this," said Monty Coles, who grabbed the snake with one hand while guiding the plane to a safe landing with the other.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Forum Member

I've been told that advanced science would appear to be magic.

Quote Originally Posted by NYSmokey
    Scientists ponder invisibility cloak
    By ANDREW BRIDGES, Associated Press Writer
    Thu May 25, 2:09 PM ET

WASHINGTON - Imagine an invisibility cloak that works just like the one Harry Potter inherited from his father.

Researchers in England and the United States think they know how to do that. They are laying out the blueprint and calling for help in developing the exotic materials needed to build a cloak.

The keys are special manmade materials, unlike any in nature or the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. These materials are intended to steer light and other forms of electromagnetic radiation around an object, rendering it as invisible as something tucked into a hole in space.

"Is it science fiction? Well, it's theory and that already is not science fiction. It's theoretically possible to do all these Harry Potter things, but what's standing in the way is our engineering capabilities," said John Pendry, a physicist at the Imperial College London.

Details of the study, which Pendry co-wrote, appear in Thursday's online edition of the journal Science.

Scientists not involved in the work said it presents a solid case for making invisibility an attainable goal.

"This is very interesting science and a very interesting idea and it is supported on a great mathematical and physical basis," said Nader Engheta, a professor of electrical and systems engineering at the University of Pennsylvania. Engheta has done his own work on invisibility using novel materials called metamaterials.

Pendry and his co-authors also propose using metamaterials because they can be tuned to bend electromagnetic radiation — radio waves and visible light, for example — in any direction.

A cloak made of those materials, with a structure designed down to the submicroscopic scale, would neither reflect light nor cast a shadow.

Instead, like a river streaming around a smooth boulder, light and all other forms of electromagnetic radiation would strike the cloak and simply flow around it, continuing on as if it never bumped up against an obstacle. That would give an onlooker the apparent ability to peer right through the cloak, with everything tucked inside concealed from view.

"Yes, you could actually make someone invisible as long as someone wears a cloak made of this material," said Patanjali Parimi, a Northeastern University physicist and design engineer at Chelton Microwave Corp. in Bolton, Mass. Parimi was not involved in the research.

Such a cloak does not exist, but early versions that could mask microwaves and other forms of electromagnetic radiation could be as close as 18 months away, Pendry said. He said the study was "an invitation to come and play with these new ideas."

"We will have a cloak after not too long," he said.

The Pentagon's Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency supported the research, given the obvious military applications of such stealthy technology.

While Harry Potter could wear his cloak to skulk around Hogwarts, a real-world version probably would not be something just to be thrown on, Pendry said.

"To be realistic, it's going to be fairly thick. Cloak is a misnomer. 'Shield' might be more appropriate," he said.

Imagine the possibilities
    I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

Forum Member

(7 March 2005, Vietnam) Nguyen, 21, had been drinking with friends in Hanoi, when he pulled out an old detonator he had found. It was about six centimeters long and eight centimeters in diameter, with two wires hanging out. Because it was old and rusty, Nguyen said, it couldn't explode. His friends disagreed.

To prove his point, Nguyen put the detonator in his mouth and asked his friend to plug the dangling wires into a 220-volt electrical receptacle.

Turns out Nyugen was wrong!

The victim had little time to reflect on his mistaken, or whether 220 volts alone could have been fatal. According to police, "the explosion blew out his cheeks and smashed all his teeth." He died on the way to the hospital.

I've seen this on a couple levels.

I knew a guy who found a blasting cap and not only hooked it up wrong (two wires to cap and one to battery, one to BOOM!) but did it on a friend of mine's gas stove.

I've also heard of (and saw one photo) combat engineers crimping caps with tehir teeth and going too high. results in an interesting injury.
    I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

June 5, 2006 -- With 6-6-6 - June 6, 2006 - ringing in tomorrow, bookies of all sorts are cashing in. BetUS.com gives Earth a better-than-sporting chance of being around on June 7. At 100,000-to-1 odds, if you bet the maximum $500 that the planet will survive and it does, you win half a penny. But a $100 bet that the apocalypse is upon us stands to net a cool $10 million. The downside, of course, is that the "lucky" gamblers might have a devil of a time collecting
    Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 06-05-2006 at 04:52 PM.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I was thinking about the "Longest Drive" thing, but then decided that they did not specify "on Earth".

Space Walkers Don't Have Time For Golf Stunt

POSTED: 2:29 pm EDT June 2, 2006

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The crew of the international space station was back inside Friday after a 6˝ hour spacewalk.

American flight engineer Jeff Williams and Russian commander Pavel Vinogradov extended their venture so they could replace a video camera on the orbiting outpost.

They earlier completed a half-dozen maintenance jobs.

That work left little time for playing around. Plans were scratched for Vinogradov to whack a golf ball into orbit for the longest drive in history.

A Canadian golf club manufacturer paid Russia's space agency an undisclosed amount to have him hit the gold-plated golf ball into space, but the stunt was postponed until later in the year.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press.

Interesting he was going to use a Canadian Club. Being a Russian, I wonder if he likes Canadian Whiskey?
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

June 6, 2006 -- Talk about a half-baked getaway.
    A young man caught shoplifting a package of Pop-Tarts in a Salt Lake City convenience store last week lost his shirt struggling with a clerk and fled after punching her in the stomach. But he didn't get far. He was hit by a pickup truck in the store parking lot, got up and resumed running - right into the path of a minivan. He got up again and limped away - into the waiting arms of cops.

6-6-6
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

This space for rent
    Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

Talking Keeping with the 6-6-6 theme

Moms-to-be delay births on June 6, 2006
    By VERENA DOBNIK, Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK - Around the country, some superstitious mothers-to-be took steps Tuesday to make sure their babies were not born on the most bedeviling of dates, 6-6-6.

In New York, "people are canceling left and right because of what today represents," said Liza Washington, an administrative assistant at Children's Hospital of the New York-Presbyterian Medical Center. More than a dozen deliveries were postponed because of 666, which is said to be the "Number of the Beast" in the Book of Revelation.

Julie Haley, 33, of Reading, Mass., went into labor Monday. As of Tuesday afternoon, she still had not given birth.

"We were going to try to get it out before midnight or I was going to keep my legs closed," she said. "I don't want her to have that stigma for the rest of her life. When she gets older, her friends would say that anything bad would be because of her birthdate."

A Chicago obstetrician, Dr. Scott Pierce, performed a C-section on Monday on a woman who didn't want her son to be teased about his birthday and called names like Damien from the movie "The Omen," about a sinister boy who turns out to be the Antichrist. A remake of the classic horror film was released on Tuesday.

Pierce, who works at two Chicago-area hospitals, said he and his colleagues canceled any deliveries scheduled for Tuesday. But he added, "I'll do nothing that is ethically not indicated."

Pierce said that in general, about 25 percent of all births involve C-sections whose timing can be controlled "give or take a day." And about 30 percent of births are natural, but labor is artificially induced, allowing the timing to be controlled as well.

In Wichita, Kan., a woman suddenly realized that her delivery date was June 6, and asked her doctor to delay the birth, said Dr. James Whiddon of the obstetrics and gynecology department at Wichita Clinic.

Another baby was born early because of 666.

Tabitha Unternahrer of Wayland, Iowa, was supposed to have a C-section on Tuesday but called her doctor and had the date moved up. Her daughter, Taryn Reney, was born May 31.

"About two weeks ago I realized the date and called and told them it had to be moved," said Unternahrer, whose decision was triggered by a dream about complications in childbirth.

Rebecca Zerkin scheduled her baby girl's birth by C-section for the sixth day of the sixth month of the sixth year — on purpose.

"I did it because June 5 is my birthday and I wanted us to each have our own birthday," said the 35-year-old teacher, still on painkillers as she held her five-hour-old infant at Manhattan's St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center. As for the superstition, "I couldn't care less. The date is easy to remember."

Jill Haub, born on June 6, 1966, celebrated her 40th birthday on Tuesday. She is a mother of two boys and teaches sixth-graders in Yukon, Okla.

"When I tell people my birthday, the ones who are really brave give me the look and say, `That's scary!'" said Haub, a practicing Christian. "And I say, `Actually, I have an extra 6 — born on 6-6-66 — so that's four sixes. I'm good, not evil.'"
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't know about anyone else, but if I could have "picked" a date, 6-6-6 would have been it.

Consider this: yes, there would be a lot of teasing to take, but imagine the possibilities of what you could get away with ..........
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

June 7, 2006 -- This couple never said " 'til death do us part." Police parted them before they could get around to it. The Boulder, Colo., duo was set to exchange vows - but cops were called when they started exchanging blows the night before. The wedding was called off because the feuding fiancés were required to stay away from one another as a condition of their $250 bond.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

June 8, 2006 -- A 33-foot sailboat abandoned by its owner six months ago off the coast of Costa Rica has been found drifting near Hawaii's Big Island - 4,800 miles away. The sloop Chaton de Foi (Faithful Kitten) had developed engine trouble and was beset by rough weather when its owner left it and climbed aboard another craft on Dec. 2. It arrived in Hawaiian waters with its foresail in tatters, its furled mainsail lying on deck, and seabirds enjoying a free ride. "It just looked like it needs a really good scrubbing . . . because of the bird poop," said a Coast Guard spokeswoman.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

MembersZone Subscriber

English Traveler Sent To Wrong Manchester. Agent Confuses Manchester, England, With Manchester, N.H.

POSTED: 11:11 am EDT June 7, 2006
    UPDATED: 11:20 am EDT June 7, 2006

MANCHESTER, N.H. -- Now that Manchester's airport has been renamed Manchester-Boston Regional Airport, it might help prevent problems like the one encountered by a traveler from the United Kingdom this week.

Jim Hourihan is from Liverpool, England, 35 miles from the British city of Manchester. He boarded a Continental Airlines flight in Los Angeles on Monday bound for Manchester.

But it wasn't until his connecting flight in Cleveland that he realized his booking agent sent him to the Manchester in New Hampshire instead.

"And of course when I first saw the plane I thought 'That's not going to Manchester, England,'" Hourihan said. "And it was then that it dawned on me. There must be two Manchesters, because I never heard of Manchester, N.H."

Hourihan said that he has had a great journey home. His flight for Manchester,
    England, was scheduled to leave Tuesday night.

Distributed by Internet Broadcasting

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

June 9, 2006 -- Transportation officials have discovered what caused traffic signals at the busiest intersection in Ashland, Wis., to go haywire. After five days of checking, they found a paper clip behind the control panel that had shorted out the system. Where did the wayward clip come from? Turns out it had been used to hold a card with contact phone numbers for the technicians who maintain the traffic signals
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

June 10, 2006 -- Dawn Rene Roberson, 38, was sacked after she turned herself in on misdemeanor charges of indecent exposure and disorderly conduct. A patrol deputy spotted Roberson riding on the bow of a boat with her top off. He let her off with a warning, but she later dropped her top again in view of kids.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

June 11, 2006 -- Pot farming is serious business in Bosnia, where cops raiding a plantation found themselves face to face with a family of wolves and 150 dogs guarding the grounds. The cops arrested the estate owner and seized firearms, 2,300 plants and presumably the animals, which included a pair of wolves and their cubs.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

This space for rent

Police Looking For Suspect Who Escaped From Hospital
    Last Update: 6/11/2006 7:44:23 PM

Syracuse (WSYR-TV)- Syracuse Police say Sunday morning, 33-year-old Rasham DeLee broke into his girlfriend's home and choked her.

Police say DeLee has been stalking her for quite some time and his girlfriend had a restraining order against him.

In self-defense, police say DeLee's girlfriend stabbed him; Delle took off and headed to Crouse hospital.

Syracuse Police picked DeLee up at the hospital and arraigned him. After his arraignment, DeLee was brought back to Crouse Hospital and was handed over to the Onondaga County Sheriff's Department.

Somehow, DeLee escaped their custody and fled the hospital, completely naked. DeLee is still on the loose tonight and may be armed. Police say DeLee is bleeding and has noticeable stab wounds.

If you have any information, contact the Ondondaga Sheriff's Department at 435-3033.
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by NYSmokey
    Police Looking For Suspect Who Escaped From Hospital
    Last Update: 6/11/2006 7:44:23 PM

Somehow, DeLee escaped their custody and fled the hospital, completely naked. DeLee is still on the loose tonight and may be armed. Police say DeLee is bleeding and has noticeable stab wounds.

If you have any information, contact the Ondondaga Sheriff's Department at 435-3033.
    So, where was he hiding the weapon?
    PAJ

IACOJ Rehab Sector

This space for rent

I don't want to know
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

This space for rent

Update......NAKED SUSPECT CAPTURED.....He better pray that they give him some clothes before he goes to jail
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

(Foxnews)

'Amazing Goddess' Raised by Fairies Busted for Sexual Healing
    Wednesday, June 07, 2006

NEW YORK — Venus gold belt? Check.

Self-proclaimed "Amazing Goddess"? Check.

Calling Oprah for help because you got arrested for prostitution after posing in your skivvies with a likeness of a fairy on the Internet? Check, check and check.

Cops in Penacook, N.H., may have gotten their goddess, but she’s ready to call in the big guns (by guns, of course, we mean Oprah Winfrey).

Suzan Belanger, 38, was arrested on prostitution charges after police say she was getting busy in exchange for bucks at her downtown “healing” business, Amazing Alternatives, The Concord Monitor reports.

But Belanger says she … uh … got that feeling to practice sexual healing after God and fairies enlisted her services, and plans to take her fight to the courts — and to the queen bee of daytime TV.

"I did this as a healer, not a prostitute," she said. "I plan to take this sky high and show them how godly God can be."

Belanger says she’s been a healer since January, but just opened up her business in Penacook in March after God assured her it was legal.

She advertises her … um … assets by posing in lingerie on a Web site, trumpeting her talents as a certified Reiki healer, cosmologist, herbalist and sexual therapist.

Her site has no explicit mention of sex for sale, instead offering her services as a sorceress and “all around loving caring soul,” and her expertise in utilizing the "many alternative healing modalities under (her) gold Venus belt."

And there's more.

In addition to her healing, under-the-Venus-belt modalities, she has “fingers that will glide upon your flesh like playing heaven’s golden harp.”

Belanger also claims to have been raised by fairies and that her magical energy can be a “channel of heaven right here on earth.”

Police issued a press releasing documenting the arrest but have been unavailable for additional comment.

MembersZone Subscriber

Canadian Military Gives Soldiers 300,000 Free Condoms

POSTED: 6:42 am EDT June 12, 2006

OTTAWA -- Canadian soldiers are wearing more than their helmets for protection.

The Canadian Forces have given their soldiers nearly 300,000 free condoms in each of the last two years.

The figures from the government don't say where the condoms have been issued. But Canadian troops are serving with the international coalition in Afghanistan.

The military has condoms for both male and female personnel.

One Canadian military doctor says it's cheaper to hand out free condoms than it is to treat soldiers for sexually transmitted disease.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press.

There was a time when a ship tied up along side a foreign port the sr medic would come out with strings and strings of condoms. And I remember him stuffing our pockets as we left the ship. I usually ended up just giving mine away. Too much time spent looking for good beer to be worried about a female companion.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

June 12, 2006 -- Cats and dogs wander away from home and get reunited with their owners all the time - but fish? Floodwaters from New Hampshire's Merrimack River recently swamped the Brand family's backyard pond, sweeping away seven of their 11 koi and depositing them on a fairway of the Nashua Country Club. But the flooding left enough water on the golf course to keep the fish alive. A groundskeeper reunited them with their owner Tuesday.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

June 13, 2006 -- Talk about chutzpah!
    A man sentenced to 18 years in prison for robbing an auto-parts store in upstate Rochester is suing two of the shop's employees for assault and battery and for causing him emotional distress. Dana Buckman says it was unnecessary for the two to beat him with a metal pipe after they chased after him and recovered the cash he had stolen at gunpoint. "The danger was past," said his lawyer. "These two employees took it upon themselves to go after Mr. Buckman after he left the store."
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

June 14, 2006 -- That was real grass - the illegal kind - growing on the lawn of the new federal courthouse in Sioux Falls, S.D. Federal officials were flabbergasted when they learned that the greenery outside the building - where perps are sent to the joint for dealing pot - was wild marijuana, commonly known as "ditch weed." Officials figure seeds of the low-grade marijuana must have been in dirt trucked in during the construction of the courthouse.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40