Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Weird But True

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Default And Don't Let The Bedbugs Ignite....

June 30, 2006 -- Firefighters have responded to reports of gas odor in several Queens apartments this year - only to find that the residents had soaked their mattresses with gasoline to kill bedbugs. One woman had even wiped gasoline on her arms to keep the bugs from biting her. Another had also wiped her children's beds with gas. "Gasoline is very explosive - even static electricity from a rug can ignite it," said Battalion Chief Robert Turner, who responded to two of the incidents. "Luckily, all of the apartments were well-ventilated." The incidents happened in Corona, Queens, at separate apartments as recently as this month.
    Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 06-30-2006 at 08:32 AM.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

IACOJ BOD

Apparently some people can do brain damage to others by merely typing inane never ending sentences without any form of grammar or puncturation at all. This phenomenum can best be experienced (second hand, please cover the eyes of those under 13) in various forums while some are better than others the concept is apparently being linked to the ongoing battle against the full stop which is losing badly, it appears as if the comma has made a slight come back although it too shows signs of dropping off the bottom of the page while typing myself as i in the diminutive could be taken by most people as a sign that the author has absolutely no comprehension of self worth our edumacation system applauds the move as making us all most equal with each other because why should i be worth more than the next letter you type, if you missed that one read it again strangely enough a large sector of the system that calls itself education feels that the information you are not reading here is acceptable. and this is because while i have failed every possible way humanly to say something you will clearly understand, i tried. and for that you can not fail me. can you. if you do then i must be given chances to correct what this is about and completely ignore the reality of life where people strangely enough require to be able to understand what was said, sometimes really quickly, whats that about.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by E40FDNYL35
    June 30, 2006 -- Firefighters have responded to reports of gas odor in several Queens apartments this year - only to find that the residents had soaked their mattresses with gasoline to kill bedbugs. One woman had even wiped gasoline on her arms to keep the bugs from biting her. Another had also wiped her children's beds with gas. "Gasoline is very explosive - even static electricity from a rug can ignite it," said Battalion Chief Robert Turner, who responded to two of the incidents. "Luckily, all of the apartments were well-ventilated." The incidents happened in Corona, Queens, at separate apartments as recently as this month.

Ah Ha! Now I know where the "twice the work, half the commute" thing comes from!
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Guilty: Judge Accused Of Using Penis Pump In Court. Court Reporter Fired After Giving Statement

UPDATED: 11:48 am EDT June 30, 2006

BRISTOW, Okla. -- A jury in Oklahoma has convicted a former judge of exposing himself by using a sexual device behind the bench while presiding over court cases.

The Creek County jury found Donald Thompson, 59, guilty on four counts of indecent exposure and recommended one year in prison and a $10,000 fine on each count.

The investigation into Thompson's actions began after a police officer saw a device known as a "penis pump" in the judge's courtroom. The charges involved four separate jury trials in 2002 and 2003.

Long-time court reporter Lisa Foster testified that she traced an unfamiliar sound in the courtroom to her boss. She testified that she saw Thompson expose himself at least 15 times.

Thompson denied using the device and said it was a gag gift that he kept under his bench but he denied ever using it. He suggested that members of the Sapulpa Police Department and court personnel plotted against him.

Foster told her story to authorities only after being subpoenaed, saying she feared she would lose her job. Thompson fired Foster after the investigation began.

Several people testified that they never saw him do anything inappropriate.

The witnesses said they were present during trials when Thompson allegedly used a sexual device called a "penis pump" or shaved himself and never saw nor heard anything unusual.

The witnesses included attorney Creekmore Wallace and Creek County District Attorney's Office investigator Ed Willingham.

Sentencing is set for Aug. 14.

Thomas served more than 20 years on the bench in eastern Oklahoma before his retirement in 2004. The conviction will require Thompson to register as a sex offender, and could jeopardize his $7,489.91-a-month pension from the state.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

July 1, 2006 -- A motorist in Draper, Utah, who hit a concrete barrier refused when cops asked him to take a Breathalyzer test. After two police captains talked to him, he agreed - and was cited for drunken driving when the test showed his blood-alcohol level was well over Utah's legal limit of 0.08 percent. The driver was the commander of the Utah Highway Patrol's drunken-driving unit. The vehicle in which he crashed was his police cruiser.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Thumbs down

July 1, 2006 -- A motorist in Draper, Utah, who hit a concrete barrier refused when cops asked him to take a Breathalyzer test. After two police captains talked to him, he agreed - and was cited for drunken driving when the test showed his blood-alcohol level was well over Utah's legal limit of 0.08 percent. The driver was the commander of the Utah Highway Patrol's drunken-driving unit. The vehicle in which he crashed was his police cruiser.

Uh oh

Dumbass

Oh excuse me. "Alleged" dumbass.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

July 2, 2006 -- The latest noteworthy eBay offering, and another apparent first: an Alaskan school.

Officials in the southwestern coastal village of King Cove put a school on the online auction site in hopes of raising $1.8 million. With the town's new school nearly ready, the 43,000-square-foot building on the waterfront was posted with a starting bid of $400,000 and a "buy it now" price of $2.75 million.
    Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 07-03-2006 at 06:36 AM.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

July 3, 2006 -- Here's an idea that makes "cents" to some - stop producing pennies. The U.S. Mint announced this year that the penny now costs more than 1 cent to make. Jeff Gore, founder of Citizens for Retiring The Penny, said, "The very idea of spending 1.2 cents to put 1 cent into play strikes many people as faintly ridiculous."
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

July 4, 2005 -- BROOKLYN, NEW YORK- The biggest challenge of his life awaits Joey Chestnut on the Fourth of July - and he doesn't want to choke. It's a legitimate worry. Chestnut aims to inhale more than four dozen frankfurters in 12 minutes at the annual Coney Island hot dog eating competition. And there's the pressure of going jaw-to-jaw with the world's foremost competitive eater, five-time defending champion Takeru Kobayashi of Japan. The 6-foot-1, 230-pound Chestnut is warming up for his East Coast showdown by downing 40 hot dogs or more in a single sitting, twice a week. "If I'm not eating hot dogs, I'm not eating much," said Chestnut, whose U.S. record of 50 hot dogs in 12 minutes earned him a mention in May in Sports Illustrated. "Everything is going pretty good." Chestnut, of San Jose, Calif., is the great American hope at reclaiming the mustard yellow belt symbolic of gastronomic greatness (or sheer gluttony). Since July 4, 2001, the belt - presented annually at the original Nathan's hot dog stand - has remained wrapped around Kobayashi's incredibly thin waist. Kobayashi is undefeated in eating competitions on American soil. But the possibility of a Chestnut upset is piquing interest in this year's event, said Rich Shea, one of the founders of the International Federation of Competitive Eating. "People believe Joey can win this contest," Shea said. "How much can a human being eat? What is the capacity? I think we'll find out." At 5 feet 7 and 144 pounds, Kobayashi doesn't look like a master gulper. But he's devoured the competition: Sonya "The Black Widow" Thomas, the world's premier female competitive eater; Eric "Badlands" Booker, the 6-foot-4, 400-pound subway conductor; even William "The Refrigerator" Perry, the ex-NFL star who managed to suck down an embarrassing four hot dogs in his Nathan's debut. The history leaves a bad taste in Chestnut's mouth. "Everybody knows that the Americans get beat by this little Japanese man," Chestnut said. "And not just beat, but slaughtered. A victory for me would be to even get close. He never lets an American get close." Frankly, there's no questioning Kobayashi's credentials. He remains the Nathan's hot dog record holder, with 53 1/2 franks on July 4, 2004 - one frank every 13.45 seconds. But there's no reason for Chestnut to feel cowed when he steps in front of the all-beef dogs. The one-man table for 10 has eaten 32 grilled cheese sandwiches in 10 minutes, 5 1/2 pounds of pork ribs in 12 minutes, 173 chicken wings in 30 minutes - all world records. Last year, in his Coney Island debut, an admittedly unfocused Chestnut finished in third place with 32 hot dogs. It was a good experience for several reasons, but particularly because it offered him a close-up look at Kobayashi. "He's a real humble guy," Chestnut said. "He's a sportsman, and he treats it like sport. He's a good guy, and I love competing against him."
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Sport?? You've got to be kidding me!

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary
    Sheri, I know most people don't get this
    It's a NEW YORK THING
    my bet is on the jap..Kobayashi. he can put them away!
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

This space for rent
    Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

Sheri, I know most people don't get this
    It's a NEW YORK THING
    my bet is on the jap..Kobayashi. he can put them away!
    I second that. The guy is insane. It's quite amusing to watch if you can pick it up on your TV. I believe ESPN has covered it before.
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Default A New York thangggg hey?

I'm sure it is quite amusing LOL, but I still can't believe they're calling it a SPORT!!

ONLY IN NEW YORK hahahahahaha
    Last edited by RspctFrmCalgary; 07-04-2006 at 09:41 AM. Reason: To needle the guys about their "New York pride"!

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Shoulda stayed in bed

From wluctv6.com

An unusual trio of crashes early Sunday morning remains under investigation.

State Police say a vehicle hit a horse on US-41 near Skanee Road outside of L'Anse. While the damage was being assessed, a second vehicle also hit the horse. and then rolled over.

One person was taken to L'Anse Memorial for treatment, and was later transferred to Marquette General.

However---and this is where the incident becomes almost hard to believe---the ambulance tranferring the patient to Marquette struck a moose on US-41 near Tioga Creek.

The ambulance crew did manage to get the patient to M-G-H for treatment. Names of those involved in the crashes have not been released.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Right from ESPN:
    BROOKLYN, NEW YORK -- A 160-pound wonder from Japan set a new record by devouring a sickening 53¾ frankfurters in 12 minutes to win the annual Independence Day hot dog eating competition on Coney Island. The feat earned Takeru Kobayashi, 27, his sixth straight title in the event, held at the original Nathan's Famous hot dog stand on Brooklyn's seashore. He broke his own record of 53½ hot dogs, set at the same competition two years ago. Thousands of raucous spectators jammed the streets in front of the hot dog stand, a block from the famed Coney Island boardwalk, to watch the competition and Kobayashi -- a top-ranked eater who once ate 17.7 pounds of pan-seared cow brains to win $25,000. His strongest competition was Joey Chestnut, a 220-pound civil engineering student from San Jose, Calif., who set an American record by eating 50 hot dogs during a qualifying tournament in Las Vegas. Chestnut jumped out to an early lead in the competition, sometimes jamming franks into his mouth with two hands as the crowd roared. But Chestnut struggled, red-faced, with veins bulging in his forehead, the Japanese star methodically chomped dog after dog, often dipping them in a soft drink before cramming them into his mouth. Kobayashi passed Chestnut with about three minutes left in the contest. When the clock expired, Chestnut had swallowed 52 Nathan's franks -- not quite enough. Among the other competitors were another favorite, 100-pound Sonya "The Black Widow" Thomas, of Alexandria, Va., who once ate 65 hard boiled eggs in a little more than 6½ minutes, and a local favorite, Eric "Badlands" Booker, a 425-pound subway conductor from Long Island who holds speed-eating records for pies and matzo balls.
    Dog gone: Kobayashi's winning marks since 2001
    2006 53¾
    2005 49
    2004 53½
    2003 44½
    2002 50½
    2001 50
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

This space for rent

Watched the competition on ESPN and it was a good one this year. Very close but Takeru Kobayashi was able to score the win. His 2 hotdogs at a time eating style was disgusting and amazing at the same time I wouldn't want to be anywhere near those contestants after the competition Oh and one of those finely tuned athletes weighed in at a trim 425lbs!
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

these athlete's are amazing..... oh!... and I'm not one for I told you so BUT, the jap did win!!!
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

This space for rent

these athlete's are amazing..... oh!... and I'm not one for I told you so BUT, the jap did win!!!
    LOL...Yeah you called it
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Forum Member

*Shaking her head* Ray, Ray, Ray ...

How did you manage to call them "athletes" with a straight face?

And Tom, I can't believe you watched it on TV!!!!!

hehehehe

Do they show the puking afterward part in slo-mo?

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

This space for rent

Talking

*Shaking her head* Ray, Ray, Ray ...

How did you manage to call them "athletes" with a straight face?

And Tom, I can't believe you watched it on TV!!!!!

hehehehe

Do they show the puking afterward part in slo-mo?
    I watched it at the fire station with some of the guys. I don't have video of the expulsion of the hotdogs but here's some of the "weigh in" yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcmuI...otdog%20eating

What would possess a man to eat 191 plum dumplings?????
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

July 5, 2006 -- Owners of an ice-cream shop in North Carolina hope customers will get all fired up over its new flavor: "Cold Sweat," a concoction of peppers and two kinds of hot sauce. Sunni Sky's in Angier even requires customers to sign a waiver before sampling the too-hot-to-handle dessert. Pregnant women are urged to take a pass on the flavor, and minors must have the consent of a guardian.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

July 6, 2006 -- This Utah bear cub could pass for a teenager - if it weren't for all that fur. Lake Tahoe residents watched in disbelief as the young bruin lumbered into a parking lot, climbed into the rear seat of a convertible and feasted on a barbecued chicken-and-jalapeño pizza he found lying on the floor. Thirsty after the snack, the cub gulped down a Jack Daniels mixer, an Absolut vodka and tonic, and a beer taken from a cooler in the car.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Forum Member

July 6, 2006 -- This Utah bear cub could pass for a teenager - if it weren't for all that fur. Lake Tahoe residents watched in disbelief as the young bruin lumbered into a parking lot, climbed into the rear seat of a convertible and feasted on a barbecued chicken-and-jalapeño pizza he found lying on the floor. Thirsty after the snack, the cub gulped down a Jack Daniels mixer, an Absolut vodka and tonic, and a beer taken from a cooler in the car.
    The cub then passed out until his mother discovered the transgression and grounded him to his den for 3 weeks.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

Posted by Ray and Shawn
    The cub then passed out until his mother discovered the transgression and grounded him to his den for 3 weeks.
    That's too funny!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

July 7, 2006 -- A British soldier clearing land mines in Iraq found a balloon that had been released just days earlier by a 5-year-old schoolboy - 2,500 miles away. The youngster, Kelvin Bielunski, had been competing with classmates in Peterborough, England, to see whose balloon would travel farthest. Most got to London, Kent or Sussex. Kelvin's balloon "must have caught a jet stream and floated until it burst," said his teacher.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40