Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 99 of 162 FirstFirst ... 498996979899100101102109149 ... LastLast
Results 1,961 to 1,980 of 3230

Thread: Weird But True

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

I have now
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by E40FDNYL35
    July 17, 2006 -- A five-hour standoff between police and an allegedly suicidal woman in Washington state ended peacefully because, well, the woman wasn't there. Port Angeles cops surrounded the woman's house for most of the afternoon and tried to communicate with her via phone and bullhorn. But a bomb-squad robot later entered the house and found no one home. An erroneous 911 call seemed to be to blame.
    At least she didn't call and ask the cute cop to come back

July 25, 2006 -- Talk about wedding crashers!
    A young Georgia man's high-flying proposal went awry when the small chartered plane in which he was flying with his fiancée stalled and nose-dived into the airport tarmac. Adam Sutton, 19, and his girlfriend, Erika Brussee, were not seriously hurt, but the ring was lost in the wreckage. Brussee said "yes" in the ambulance on the way to the hospital.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

July 26, 2006 -- A man wanted for attempted murder was busted while applying for a job - as a police officer. Kostja Roy was not only a suspect in a Florida armed robbery in which a person was shot, but he was also arrested several weeks ago for allegedly impersonating an officer. "We called the individual up and told him that we had his final interview set," said Opa-Locka Police Chief James Wright. "Unfortunately for him, it is his final interview."
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Angry

Gamblers in India wagered $33 million US on boy's survival in pit
    26/07/2006 5:00:00 AM

NEW DELHI (AP) - While all of India was gripped last weekend by televised efforts to save a boy who had fallen into a deep pit, bookmakers received $33 million US in bets on whether the child would survive, a newspaper reported Wednesday.

"The timing of the boy's likely rescue was also a matter of intense speculation," the Times of India newspaper quoted an unnamed bookie as saying. Most of the gamblers had expected the boy, who was eventually rescued Sunday night, to be freed that morning, the report said.
    Gambling is a popular pastime in many parts - even though betting is outlawed in India - and thousands of Indians apparently saw the drama surrounding the rescue of the young boy, identified only as Prince, as an opportunity for some action.

Prince, who is said to be either 5 or 6, fell into a narrow, 18-metre-deep irrigation shaft on Friday while playing in his village in the northern state of Haryana.

He was trapped for 50 hours before being rescued safely on Sunday, his birthday, by soldiers in an operation that was televised live across India.

Bets poured in Sunday as the rescue efforts were broadcast, the newspaper reported. It did not say whether there were any big winners.

Billions of dollars exchange hands in India each year through a secretive betting system that uses a complex set of codes often uttered only on phones to avoid leaving a paper trail.

Most of the betting is on cricket, but bets are also placed on a wide range of subjects, such as the colours of saris worn by actresses on television soap operas.

Bets have also been placed on the likelihood of Hindu-Muslim religious riots, the newspaper reported.

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

July 27, 2006 -- A club-wielding chimp is on the loose in Thousand Oaks, Calif. The pugnacious primate vanished after being spotted whooping it up in someone's back yard Monday. The Ventura County Star reports that cops are now searching for the ape's owner by going through lists of people with chimp licenses.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

July 27, 2006 -- A club-wielding chimp is on the loose in Thousand Oaks, Calif. The pugnacious primate vanished after being spotted whooping it up in someone's back yard Monday. The Ventura County Star reports that cops are now searching for the ape's owner by going through lists of people with chimp licenses.
    THAT'S definitely weird!!!!

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

July 27, 2006 -- A San Antonio topless club is planning a tubing river excursion that features strippers. Trey Maddox, a manager at Palace Men's Club, said Sunday's event, during which men can pay $25 to join the strippers, isn't meant to fly in the face of the city's new rules. "We're not hookers, dope dealers or Mafia thugs," he said, noting that the strippers will be appropriately dressed. "We're just coming to have a good time." City Councilman Ken Valentine isn't so sure. "I'm really disappointed that this is going to occur on Sunday when people should be in church," he said. "I hope they behave themselves and keep their clothes on, but I'm not sure they will because strippers are trained to take off their clothes." The New Braunfels City Council has been cracking down on rowdy behavior on the Comal and Guadalupe rivers in recent months, banning volume drinking devices better known as beer bongs, increasing the maximum fine for noise ordinance violations, and prohibiting sound amplification on the river between 10 p.m. and 8 a.m. A new ordinance banning containers with a liquid volume of 5 ounces or less - an attempt to ban Jell-O shots and the associated litter - will take effect after the next city council meeting. Mayor Bruce Boyer said he thought it was unfortunate that the San Antonio club is taking advantage of the situation "to get free publicity." "And all we're trying to do is make it safe and pleasant for anybody 8 to 80 to come and have a safe and enjoyable river experience," he said.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

July 28, 2006 -- Note to bomb-threat letter writers: Don't sign the letter.
    New Jersey prisoner Donald Ray Bilby, 30, made things a bit easier for authorities when he included his name and inmate number on bomb- and anthrax-threat letters he sent to the FBI and Secret Service. "I think it's fair to say we were not dealing with a great criminal mind," said U.S. Attorney Christopher Christie.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

back in business

July 29, 2006 -- It really was raining cats and dogs.
    A man in Poland suffered minor injuries when he was hit by a St. Bernard thrown from a second-story window. The dog's drunken owner had tossed the 110-pound pooch, named Oskar, police said. The canine was unhurt.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Default boy does time fly...

July 30, 2003 -- A 90-year-old Oregon woman fed up with the cockroaches in her bedroom began roasting them alive with a portable blowtorch - and nearly burned her house down.
    Firefighters in Kenton raced to the home of Ona Bates to find flames pouring out. The home sustained $4,500 in damages.

"I've heard this one before. I don't know where they get the idea to do it," Fire Bureau spokesman Neil Heesacker told The Oregonian.
    Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 07-30-2006 at 07:40 AM. Reason: therad still going and going and going.......
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

July 30, 2006 -- Can you hear me now?
    A Missouri man was charged with first-degree assault for shoving a cellphone down his girlfriend's throat because he was angry and jealous, prosecutors said. Marlon Brando Gill, 24, insists that Melinda Abell, 25, swallowed the phone intentionally to keep him from seeing whom she had been calling. Abell said she couldn't recall how the phone got in her throat since she had so much to drink. A doctor in a hospital's emergency room extracted it.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

July 30, 2003 -- A 90-year-old Oregon woman fed up with the cockroaches in her bedroom began roasting them alive with a portable blowtorch - and nearly burned her house down.
    Firefighters in Kenton raced to the home of Ona Bates to find flames pouring out. The home sustained $4,500 in damages.

"I've heard this one before. I don't know where they get the idea to do it," Fire Bureau spokesman Neil Heesacker told The Oregonian.
    Happy Birthday, Weird but True! LOL

99 pages later!

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

July 31, 2006 -- Folks who wanted to see the annual conger eel-fighting event in the English fishing village of Lyme Regis were greatly disappointed over the weekend. The tradition of watching two teams of men swing a dead 25-pound eel at one another was scrapped amid complaints by animal-rights activists. Resident Andrew Kaye, "It's a dead conger, for Pete's sake. I shouldn't think the conger could care one way or another."
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

July 31, 2006 -- A toll-free number listed in more than a million Honda owners' manuals was supposed to direct callers to a government hotline - not to another number where the conversation is probably about anything but auto safety. Honda Motor Co. said it incorrectly published an 800 prefix, rather than an 888, on a toll-free vehicle safety telephone number in 1.2 million manuals for 2006 model year Honda and Acura vehicles and Honda motorcycles. Owners who dial the 800 prefix hear a recorded message in which a woman's voice, speaking over a funky beat, urges them to call 1-800-918-TALK for "just 99 cents per minute." "It was a misprint," Honda spokesman Chris Naughton said. In a letter last week to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Honda said it will send postcards to dealers and owners in August with the correct NHTSA hotline information - 1-888-327-4236 - along with instructions to insert the card into the proper section of the manual. The manuals, which were printed from August 2005 through July 2006, were also used in 18,000 Honda Fit compact vehicles and about 8,000 motorcycles from the 2007 model year.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

August 1, 2006 -- 100* here in sunny Brooklyn....
    George Allen of Cheyenne, Wyo., has finally gotten his diploma - 71 years after he was expelled from high school at age 16. "I don't know what happened. I don't remember anything," Allen said of being booted from school in La Junta, Colo., in 1935 - four days after he suffered a concussion during a football scrimmage.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

August 2, 2006 -- A waitress at a bar in Westlake, Ohio, lost her driver's license. Then, in a bizarre twist of fate, she got it back - when a young female bargoer handed it to her to prove she was 21.

5:36 am 87*
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FORT PAYNE, Alabama August 2, 2006 -- A man was arrested and charged with public lewdness for walking naked near a highway while waving an American flag. The DeKalb County Sheriff's Department arrested Gerald Lynn Kelley, 52, the Fort Payne Times-Journal reported. Deputy Mike James said deputies were sent to Hammondville after receiving calls about two men walking nude along U.S. 11, just inside the town limits. James said Kelley, who was allegedly drunk, was wearing only a cowboy hat and boots. The other man, reportedly clad in the same attire and also carrying the American flag, could not be found. Police reports show that Kelley and the other man had been at a party that got out of hand. Kelley posted a $1,500 bond and was released from DeKalb County Jail.

89*
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Forum Member

August 2, 2006 -- A waitress at a bar in Westlake, Ohio, lost her driver's license. Then, in a bizarre twist of fate, she got it back - when a young female bargoer handed it to her to prove she was 21.

5:36 am 87*
    Similar thing happened at the bar I work at, Girl came in, bartender proofed her, looked at the ID, asked her when she moved in. She looked at him funny, and he asked her again, she didn't have a clue, turns out she had the stolen ID of his next door neighbor.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Whats that phrase?

"Don't {crap} in your own backyard?" In this case, don't use someone elses ID in the same town you "found" it in.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Thread Information