District Chief

Post Pasco County Fla--Shopping Center Fire

Multiple Trucks Respond To Fire

Published: Jul 30, 2003

HOLIDAY - Several fire trucks responded to a fire Tuesday night at a shopping center on the southeast corner of Flora Avenue and U.S. 19, a Pasco Emergency Services supervisor said.
    The fire, behind BuddyFreddy's restaurant and just north of Pinellas County, was reported about 8:20 p.m., records say. At 9:15 p.m. Pasco firefighters, who borrowed a ladder truck from the New Port Richey Fire Department, still were trying to extinguish the flames.

No other details were immediately available. Pasco fire officials were investigating.

Geoff Fox
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

District Chief

Post Follow Up

St. Petersburg Times--Pasco County

Fire damages Amish store in Holiday Square
    The blaze was apparently caused by overloaded electrical power strips.

By ALEX LEARY, Times Staff Writer
    St. Petersburg Times
    published July 31, 2003

HOLIDAY - An Amish craft store in the Holiday Square shopping plaza sustained significant damage Tuesday night after a fire broke out in the rear of the building, probably from overloaded electrical power strips.

The fire at the plaza off U.S. 19 was reported to Pasco County Fire Rescue at 8:20 p.m., and crews arrived shortly thereafter.

"It was so smoky they had a difficult time finding the fire," battalion chief Doug Drape said.

No injuries were reported, but four units, all occupied by Amish Foods & Crafts, sustained either fire or smoke damage, fire investigator Brian Johnson said.

Damage was estimated at $280,000 to $300,000, he said.

Three electrical strips, each with up to six outlets, were linked, Johnson said.

"It's something we would note on an inspection," Johnson said. "Unfortunately, a lot of times these things are behind desks. What people don't know is a lot of inexpensive power strips have been recalled."

The owner of Amish Foods & Crafts could not be reached Wednesday. The business leases space in the plaza.

Tom Taylor, a driver for Domino's Pizza, said a customer had just left with a pepperoni and sausage pizza about 8 p.m. when smoke could be seen rising across the plaza.

Taylor said he ran to the far end of the plaza, near BuddyFreddys Restaurant, and saw black clouds coming from the side of the building.

It poured out so thickly, "it was like there was a fan pushing the smoke out," Taylor said. He said the customer called 911.

- Alex Leary can be reached in west Pasco at 869-6247, or toll-free at 1-800-333-7505, ext. 6247. His e-mail address is leary@sptimes.com
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Thread Information