Thread: High Rise

MembersZone Subscriber

Default High Rise

While viewing a different fire service web site I saw something that struck me as odd and left me curious...

There was a photo of a 4 story building with fire in the top floor apt. And the caption read...High-Rise Condominum fire. Now I haven't been everywhere but I had always seen 75 ft, or out of the reach of aerial ladders, or something to that affect in IFSTA manuals, building/zoning codes or other recognized fire service texts as the definiton of a High-Rise. There are many different tactics and considerations when operating above the reach of ladders. Never have I or anyone I have worked with to my knowledge considered a 4 story building a High-Rise.

What do you consider to be the defining characteristics of a high-rise. Are there that many different definitions out there?

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

A high rise is any structure that is beyond the reach of your longest ladder!

A shopping mall, while usually no more than two to three stories high can be considered a "horizontal high rise"...considering that..

a: limited access to stores in the structure.
    b: limited numbers of standpipe connections for fire ops
    c: varying fire loads, depending on the type of occupancy
    d: elevators, escalators, moving walkways
    e: the same reaction from the people in the building when a fire alarm goes off!
    f: there is always a delivery truck or someone's car parked in front of the FD conection!
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 08-01-2003 at 10:38 AM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Not having seen it, my guess would be that there was a stand pipe system and the operations were just like a high rise.

Thread Information