MembersZone Subscriber

Default Pelican Big Ed Flashlight

Does anybody have any real world experiences with this flashlight? I am debating either buying the Big Ed or the Survivor from Streamlight. Does the Big Ed cut through smoke as good as the Survivor? Thanks for your replies.

IACOJ Agitator

I use a Big Ed and I think it is better than a Survivor...definately brighter.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Forum Member

I don't have any experience with the Survivor flashlight but I like the Big Ed. It is very bright and tough. I left it on the hosebed once and it fell off doing about 45. Still works fine. You cant beat Pelicans warranty. I can't remeber what the warranty statement says but its kinda funny. Something to do with damage due to sharks and kids. I would recomend getting the rechargeable.
    Shawn Clark
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    Tulsa Fire Dept. E-23 "C Platoon"
    I.A.F.F. Local 176
    Tulsa, OK

MembersZone Subscriber

I've been using the Big Ed for about a year and a half and love it. It sees use both in teaching and on the job and it has never let me down. I use the rechargable and it seems to hold a charge with no problems and ,as said earlier, its very bright.
    I've also had the opertunity to deal with Pelican for a warranty matter on an older super saberlite flashlight, I rate them top notch. They really stand behind that lifetime warrenty. A great company.

Scott

I too love the pellican Big Ed. I have the rechargable light with the slow charger. I give the light 2 thumbs up for it. Dont think i will want any other light since this one. Pellican keep up the great work!

Balto City Truckin Co....
    Long Island Or Baltimore I forget which ;-)

Koehler Responder Right angle beats them both!

div 1 haz mat 30,000 cp(orange only)

div 2 Fire ops 45,000 cp w/Ni-Cad rechargable-burntime 2+ hrs
    div 2 Fire Ops 60,000 cp w/4 regular c batteries-burntime 5 hrs

and to top it off it comes in BLACK.

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/category.cfm?cID=537[SIZE=3]
    Last edited by EdpEmtD; 08-01-2003 at 03:38 PM.

IACOJ Agitator

The Big Ed with 4C batteries is 55,000 cp

The Big Ed Rechargeable is 65,000 cp
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Balto City Truckin Co....
    Long Island Or Baltimore I forget which ;-)

Big Ed brighter yes, but just a tad

RESPONDER has:

1. longer burntimes 2+ hrs NiCad 5 hrs C-batteries

2. 2 extra bulbs hidden within the light

3. Cheaper $$$ (cost wise)

4. 1 flashilight that accepts BOTH nicad or C batteries

5. Glow in the dark I.D. label

6. space on light to engrave your name, company etc.

7. WATERPROOF not water-resistant (as per pelican website)

8. Made in the U.S.A. - their quality is always guaranteed

and now the most important reason responser is better is,

9. its available in BLACK!

Hey Erics99 be sure to let us know what you go with.
    Last edited by EdpEmtD; 08-01-2003 at 04:08 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm actually now leaning toward the Responder due to the fact that it has a longer burn time with the C batteries, can use a battery pack if I chose that option, and comes in black. Does anybody have experience with the Responder in smoky conditions? Thanks.

Default big ed

When was the last time you had your flashlight on for 5 continuous hours??? I've seen light boxes at doorways on for long periods of time. I chose the big ed because of candle power I want it to work inside a smoke filled environment and it does my bud bought the survivor and my big ed outshines it no doubt. just my two cents worth thanks

Forum Member

Lightbulb Burn time

"When's the last time you used your light for 5 hrs?"Ah,let me think,Oh I know;EVERY WEEKEND I'm teaching fire school or about 26 to 35 weekends a year.Not to mention firefighting and subsequent cause determination in some of the numerous farms and industrial bldgs in my response district.One of the things I hate about the Survivor light is it's short battery life when it's cold out.Less than 30 min.Yes I have lightboxes available,but I'm a stickler for having a good personal light.They are smaller and I ALWAYS have mine with me.The little garrity throwaways make a good backup,they store for a long time and have a good long light time.When you're up to your A** in alligators a good light can help you drain the swamp.T.C.

dazed and confused

Originally posted by erics99
    Thanks for the responses guys. I'm actually now leaning toward the Responder due to the fact that it has a longer burn time with the C batteries, can use a battery pack if I chose that option, and comes in black. Does anybody have experience with the Responder in smoky conditions? Thanks.
    works great in the varying conditions i've used it in.

easy to use with a gloved hand too. i chose this light over the others based on the same things Ed posted.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Permanently Removed

Default 2 cents...

Dont know if this helps or not, but I have
    been using the rechargable Survivor and
    love it. Long run time (I rarely recharge
    it) and it fits nicely in my turnout coat
    pocket.

Again, pretty happy with it and other
    Streamlight products...Bou

MembersZone Subscriber

Well guys I receieved my Responder Right Angle flashlight today (took only a few days, thank you thefirestore.com). Anyway, I'm not impressed with the beam of light. To be honest, the beam is only a bit brighter than my Pelican Stealthlight which is rated at 10,000 CP. The Responder is supposed to be 60K CP. It does have a bit wider beam, but it certainly doesn't look like 6 times brigther than my Pelican. Either way, it appears this light is going to get the job done.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Big Ed Vs. Responder Vs Survivor Revisited

Erics99, what do you think of the Responder now that you have been using it for a while? Just started reviewing the different right angle flashlights for my department and I am looking for some informed opinions. Like most idiots, I am impressed by the big candle power numbers of the Responder and Big Ed, but I am curious about how those numbers equate to real world performance....i.e. is it worth the extra money over the Survivor? Thanks for your thoughts.

MembersZone Subscriber

We got a "big ed" to Demo, and it basically sits now collecting dust. Battery life is the biggest reason. Maybe we got a lemon, but our batteries don't last even an hour. The one good thing about it is, we can't seem to break it.
    "The more we sweat in training, the less we bleed in battle."

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Big Ed Vs. Responder Vs Survivor Revisited

Originally posted by jshively
    Erics99, what do you think of the Responder now that you have been using it for a while? Just started reviewing the different right angle flashlights for my department and I am looking for some informed opinions. Like most idiots, I am impressed by the big candle power numbers of the Responder and Big Ed, but I am curious about how those numbers equate to real world performance....i.e. is it worth the extra money over the Survivor? Thanks for your thoughts.
    Actually, I am a bit disappointed in its performance. It doesn't seem like it has 60,000 candle power. The beam is very narrow, even though the lens/reflector is wide. I use the 4 C batteries by the way, which does give me a good run time. I have compared it to the newer Streamlight Survivor many times, and I can't say that the Responder is much brighter, if at all. The Survivor has a wide beam, which in my mind is helpful during overhaul. I also do not like the size of the Responder, as compared to the Survivor.

However, on the flip side, I only paid $45 for the light (brand new from thefirestore.com) and it has done the job when I needed it to. Not to mention it has a long battery life, I think 5 or so hours, and a spare bulb built right into it. If I had to do it over again, I would get the Survivor. Maybe somebody else can comment on the Responder, I know some people on here like them. Hopefully you can get a hold of one and test them out before you make the purchase.

Thread Information