MembersZone Subscriber

Default HME Chassis cracks

Anyone out there experiencing cracks in HME cabs/sheet metal. We run a 1999 HME 1871 chassis?

Forum Member

Default Rut ROH!!!!!!

I have recently began to hear more and more about these problems with HME 1871 and 1871 SLe cabs- What would equate to the "B" post (right to the left of) the officer's side door is cracking on many HME's. I know of one company in northern Maryland that has 3 1871's that all 3 have cracking problems. I hope HMS can jump on this hard- in my opinion they are one of the better chassis manufacturers out there these days.

FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB

Forum Member

We have a 2000 1871 and haven't seen a problem yet. I agree with FWDbuff. I think it's one of the best chassis's I've seen and driven in 28 years in the fire service.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Forum Member

Default Cracks

My FD doesn't have any HME's but a nearby FD has 2 and I saw a HUGE crack in the driver's door of one and to hear their guys talk they don't like them much at all. Mind you this is second hand based on the opinions of career guys who run these trucks every day.

Hey LT me and my dept run a 2001 HME Chassis and have not experienced any problems yet. However this is news to me and I am relatively certain that no one else on my dept has heard about this problem. We will certainly keep our eye on it from now on. But as of right now, no problems here.

MembersZone Subscriber

Truck is in shop now 2 weeks, found more cracks in cab. Hope to have it back soon.

Forum Member

No problems with our 1871 chassis so far . one is a 2000 and the other a 2003

Thread Information