Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thumbs up Bradenton Fla--Firefighters Rescue Woman From Burning House

St. Petersburg Times--Hillsborough

Firefighter beats back blaze, rescues woman
    Suffering from smoke inhalation, the 55-year-old resident is carried from her mobile home.
    By DONG-PHUONG NGUYEN, Times Staff Writer
    © St. Petersburg Times
    published August 2, 2003

VALRICO - For Hillsborough County Fire Rescue Capt. Jerry Smith, routine calls can include all kinds of ailments:cardiac arrests, broken bones, breathing problems.

People being pulled from burning buildings? Scenes from the movies.

But Smith, a 16-year veteran, found that kind of drama unfolding in real life Friday when he knocked down flames in a mobile home and saved a woman from certain death.

It was the first time he had ever rescued someone in such dramatic fashion.

"The situation is rare," Smith said. "It feels kind of good to make a save."

The action began after 9 a.m. with a medical call at the Featherock Adult Mobile Home Park on State Road 60 in Valrico.

Smith, a firefighter and a firefighter/paramedic were waiting for an ambulance to transport a patient with a minor condition when Smith's alpha pager sent out an alert: fire with possible entrapment.

The blaze was in the same mobile home park, so Smith rushed to Ridgecrest Drive with firefighter Pat Bendure.

Within 30 seconds, they were rounding the block, where they saw flames and heavy smoke billowing from the windows of a mobile home.

"I didn't realize we were that close," said Smith, who is with Engine Co. 11.

A neighbor told Smith that the resident was possibly still inside.

Bendure pried the door open with a crowbar, and Smith burst inside with the fire hose, water blasting. Smith extinguished the flames, which were coming from the kitchen, and began a search.

In the third room he ran into, he found a woman lying in bed. "Help me," she moaned. By then, a second crew had arrived and another firefighter helped Smith carry the woman outside.

A mobile home worker identified the woman as Jane Wisler, 55. Wisler, who suffered smoke inhalation, was taken to Tampa General Hospital, where she was in good condition Friday night.

The cause of the fire is under investigation.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Post Follow Up--Tampa Tribune

With Patient Stabilized, Firefighters Rush To Fire

Published: Aug 2, 2003

APOLLO BEACH - Rescuers responding to a medical call Friday morning at Feather Rock Mobile Home Park rescued a woman from an unrelated mobile home fire a few blocks away, Hillsborough County Fire Rescue said.
    Firefighters were at the mobile home park about 9 a.m. when they received a call about a fire, officials said.

The engine captain verified the patient was stable and left a paramedic at the scene while two firefighters responded to the fire, officials said.

One of the firefighters entered the burning mobile home at 2215 Ridgecrest Drive, brought the blaze under control and found a woman in a bedroom, officials said.

The woman was resuscitated at the scene and taken to Tampa General Hospital
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Nice job guys!
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber jonesy0924's Avatar

Nice save guys.....
    Jonesy
    Fail to plan. Plan to fail.

FL EMT-B
    FL State Firefighter
    Pro Board Firefighter
    Career Firefighter