Tallahassee Democrat

Briefs: Fire damages Spanish Avenue home

Electrical fire damages Spanish Avenue home


An electrical fire Monday caused $30,000 in damage to a home in the 600 block of Spanish Avenue, Tallahassee Fire Department spokeswoman Pat Teague said. The Red Cross was called to assist the resident, who was not injured, Teague said. Firefighters arrived to find smoke and flames pouring from one of the windows of the single-story wood-frame home; it took only a few minutes to douse the flames. According to Lt. Charles Dery, the fire was electrical in nature and started in the bedroom where most of the fire damage occurred. TFD urges residents to remember the following safety tips: replace or repair loose or frayed cords on all electrical devices; avoid overloading outlets; consider plugging only one high-wattage appliance into each receptacle outlet at a time; if outlets or switches feel warm, shut off the circuit and have them checked by an electrician.