1. #1
    Forum Member
    SANDSTROMJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002

    Default Pet snake’s bite kills firefighter

    Anti-venom arrives just minutes before death

    By Lou Grieco and Brandelyn Hall
    Dayton Daily News

    DAYTON | A Dayton firefighter died Monday at the University of Cincinnati Hospital after being attacked by a poisonous pet snake Sunday night, a hospital spokeswoman said.

    Michael Peterman, 48, of 2645 Collins Ave. was pronounced dead at 3:17 p.m., the Hamilton County Coroner's office said. An autopsy is planned for today.

    An anti-venom flown in from Miami-Dade County in Florida arrived at the Cincinnati airport at 3 p.m., but Peterman died before the anti-venom was delivered to the hospital, said Robert Dees, hospital spokesman.

    Peterman was known to Dayton firefighters as a collector of snakes and lizards who was occasionally called out to deal with reptiles.

    The snake that bit Peterman was identified as an African rhino viper by exotic animal rescuer Tim Harrison. Harrison, who is also an Oakwood police officer, said the reptile is very aggressive and capable of striking quickly when threatened or hungry.

    Harrison, who founded the group Outreach for Animals to rescue exotic animals and to educate the public about them, said he was called by the hospital to identify and take care of the snake after the bite.

    He said he believes the attack happened after Peterman accidentally hit the snake while trying to feed it.

    The African rhino viper is considered to be one of the most dangerous snakes in Africa. Native to the tropical forests of central and west Africa, the snake can grow up to 4 feet in length. The rhino viper's venom attacks the circulatory system, destroying tissue and blood vessels. Its name comes from the two or three distinctive "horns" it has above each nostril.

    The snake that attacked Peterman is at Heaven's Corner Zoo for Endangered Animals in West Alexandria.

    Officials with the Fire Department and Dayton Firefighters Local 136 declined to comment Monday.

    Peterman was off duty July 31, 1998, when someone found a python under a truck parked at Benham's Caterers and Restaurant at 209 Warren Street, just down the street from Company 11. Firefighters from the station picked up the snake, placed it in a 55-gallon trash can, then called Peterman.

    Peterman told the firefighters it appeared healthy and well fed and probably had been someone's pet. He declined an offer to adopt the python because he had no cage large enough.

    [From the Dayton Daily News: 08.05.2003]
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

  2. #2
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Richmond Fire Department


    If I were gonna collect rare poisonous critters, I'd make sure that the local authorities knew it, and I'd have some rare-poisonous-critter antivenin in the fridge...

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    Tooanfrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    whangaparaoa peninsular, north island

    Lightbulb Killer pets

    The only safe way to keep/ handle/ examine / kiss /stuff down your underpants, any poisonous killer pet-- Is to place it in the deep freezer for at least a month until it is "tame" enough to handle(and then by somebody else)
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
    Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register