Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default illinois fire department quallifications

I am moving to Illinois and hoping to get on a fire department. I am not EMT certified, but I have taken a fire science course at a tech school, fought wildland fires for 1 year and am in the marine corp. reserves. Are there any fire departments in Illinois that does not require an EMT certification?

Forum Member

Default Why?

Do yourself a favor and get your EMT first. If you're already moving to Ill is one thing, but if you're moving because you think it will help you get a job you might be disappointed. Here's why:

Don’t Move yet!

This is not the first time. A candidate is invited to the chief’s oral. He just knows they want him. He gives notice at his job, his apartment and finds a new apartment for the city he is being considered for. He starts packing. After the chief’s interview he is notified to complete the medical, given the date for the academy, uniform fitting and then the psych. He flies down to complete these items in two days. He goes by with his wife to check on the new apartment, flies home and waits for the mover to show up the next day.

Don’t touch that dial. There is something wrong with the psych interview. It comes back inconclusive. They want him to retake the psych. But the movers are on their way. I can taste that badge. I know they want me.

Do yourself and your family a big favor. Don’t even think about moving until you get the invitation in writing that you have the job. Never move away from family, friends, support and established connections thinking that will improve your chances of getting a badge.

A medic candidate moved his family from southern California to Seattle, so he could be in position for the next test. Although he made the list, he was going to have to wait until they got down to him. In the mean time the pressures built up at home, he lost his house in California to foreclosure, and got in a heated argument with his wife. The police arrived and arrested him for domestic violence. This at a time when he was in background for the next academy. Everything came to a full halt. Fortunately, in the state of Washington, if you complete the counseling and probation program and it’s your first offense, you can appeal the court to remove the charge. Now a year later, this has been done. The Seattle list he was on expired. Now it’s back to square one.

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com

Captin Bob,

I am not making the move expecting to get on a fire department right away, although it would be awsome. I am going to go to school and take additional fire science courses and an EMT course. I am making the move for other reasons. My question is... is it a possibility to get on a fire department in Illinois, and then get the EMT cert., and where. I would jump on the oppertunity to get on a volunteer fire dep. but I can't afford not to make money. If you have any advice I'm all ears.

Forum Member

Default Testing

How many tests have you taken and where did you place?

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com

I haven't taken any tests yet. But I still remember a lot from my fire science class. I know if I study hard between now and when I test I will do good. Let me know what you think of my situation. Should I test for departments while I take an EMT course? I just want to start as soon as I can.

Forum Member

Default Testing

Yes, take as many tests as you can qualify for while you're getting your EMT. The more tests you take, the better you get at taking tests, especially the oral. The hiring process can be a timely process. While you're waiting you can gain your EMT, additional classes and volunteer experience.

But never forget this From my new book: Becoming a Firefighter--The complete Guide to Your Badge!

Do what you have to do be more marketable so you can take more tests and have something more to offer a department, but remember that it all comes down to that 15 to 30 minute oral interview. I've seen some awesome candidates with resumes packed full of accomplishments that couldn't sell them self in an interview to even make the top 50%.

Steve Prziborowski, Fire Captain - Santa Clara County Fire Department

The oral is what we specialize in!

Consider this:

Lucky Joe?

We help candidates get hired all the time with little or no experience. Introducing Joe:

Joe got one of our flyers when he picked up an application for the San Francisco Fire Department test. He had seen the ad for the test in the newspaper. Although he was not a kid, he thought he would give it a shot. No background, formal education or experience related to the fire service.

It didn’t take long after Joe contacted us to figure out that he was not the brightest light on the tree.
    We suggested a book he could get to help him prepare for the written. Every time he called me he also called my firefighter son Rob. On one call he left a message asking, if I buy this book, does it have the answers for the San Francisco test in it? There were many, many calls. We answered all.

Of the 4100 that took the San Francisco written, guess who was one of the 1700 who passed? Joe passed the SFFD written.

The oral was next. My son Rob dreaded doing the coaching session. It normally takes about an hour for a coaching session. It was a looooong session.
    Guess who was one of the 609 who passed the San Francisco Oral? Yep, Joe.

Next was the physical agility. Joe was in great shape. He wanted to know how to prepare. I told him to go to the Physical Agility section of the FREE “101 Inside Secrets to Get a Badge on our web site. Joe left a message the next day, Captain Bob I can’t find that book you told me about on preparing for the physical. Another call to Joe that it’s FREE on the web site.

Joe doesn’t know about you. He doesn’t know about your degrees, certificates, education, and experience.
    Even though Joe is not the sharpest knife in the drawer he did something you probably aren’t. He said, “Captain Bob just tell me what I need to do.” And, he listened! He listened to what he needed to do. Joe followed the simple formula: Get the program. Work it. Use a tape recorder to practice. Get coaching. Badge!

Guess who graduated from the 108th fire academy in San Francisco? That’s right Joe. He walked right in off the street and took away your badge.

I told this to a medic testing for 4 years in the Denver area last week and he said, “Captain Bob that’s not funny.” I know it isn’t. But Joe is now wearing the badge that many aspire to wear.

Because nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com
    Last edited by CaptBob; 08-07-2003 at 01:15 PM.

Captain bob,

I see what your'e saying. Well I still have a few months before I can even start testing, so what can I do to raise my chances of getting the badge. Ever since I started my fire fighting class I knew what I would be doing with the rest of my life. I have the passion for it. I will do what ever I have to to get the badge. A little info. on me.... I am in the Marine corp. reserves. I was activated for the war but never got deployed to Iraq as planned. That messed up my plan of fighting wild fires this year. How can I use being in the marine reserves, and will being red card certified for wild land work to my advantage? How should I start my studying for the tests. I will take any advice you are willing to give me.

Forum Member

Default Starting

You can combine all your life experiences in being considered for the job.

You can check out our road map in the FREE 101 Inside Secrets How to Get a Badge here: http://www.eatstress.com/faq.htm

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I know that Springfield and Champaign Illinois don't require you to be an EMT when hired.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking other departments

City of Lake forest is hiring and does not require any certs. I have found the jobs network on the firehouse network to be extremely useful in looking for new jobs. Also,if you really can't pay the money, use the following websites; www.911hotjobs.com and www.careerbuilder.com to look for jobs. Hope this helps!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default illinois employment

USMC,
    I know the hassle you're going through. Currently, i'm attending the DoD fire academy. Illinois sucks because it doesn't recognize IFSAC. We, in the military, can have all the certs in the world and in il it doesn't make a difference. We have to be ILLINOIS CERTIFIED! This stems from way back, but that's a different story. Same reason we are not a national registry state for emt-b and emt-p. Don't give up. I'll probably run into to you at one of the illinois tests. Catch ya later.

Army Reserve Firefighter

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Depts in Illinois

It's a big plus to have your EMT before applying at teh fire depts. I know that there are a few that don't require that you have it, most do however. More are even requiring you to have your EMT-P before they will even hand you your application.
    I ordered teh software from Capt. Bob and I tested for an Ilinois Fire Dept that I consider to be my "dream department" out of teh 300+ that I applied I hot the initial list at #7, moved back to #8 on the final list because the person who passed me got prefrence points for being one of their POC's. The list is good for 2 years, hopefully I will be called soon for that. I also tested and am on the lists for 2 other fire depts. Be persistant, go for a volunteer dept if you have to to get experience. See, I have another issue, I am reaching that cut off age very soon so I can't afford to make mistakes to learn from.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Forum Member

Default Re: illinois fire department quallifications

Originally posted by USMCFIREFIGHTER
    I am moving to Illinois and hoping to get on a fire department. I am not EMT certified, but I have taken a fire science course at a tech school, fought wildland fires for 1 year and am in the marine corp. reserves. Are there any fire departments in Illinois that does not require an EMT certification?
    If you know where you are going to move to (area) check on the web every city and town within about 1 (or 2) hours drive, and look on the web, see if they are paid or volunteer, email or call the personnell office of the prospective departments, ask if they have a referal list or a notify list. And see if they Require EMT or Paramedic or if they have Regular Firefighters that work for them. Keep a list, keep dates, times, phone numbers, email addresses.. Keep on sites such as
    www.ajb.dni.us (American Job Bank) has Elgin IL, hiring Firefighter right now (or examing for them), also check www.usajobs.opm.gov
    they have 2 lists for firefighters in the Chicago area (great lakes Naval training center). check State of IL web page look for employment lists, also big city (local city) newspapers if you gonna be near Chi-town, go online, check their sunday classifieds (or whenever the BIG listing is).

Dont forget, if you are near the state line, check the next state over also.

Hope that helps...

Gerard

Thread Information