Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Hello from Illinois!

Hello everyone! My name is Jennifer but because there are so many Jennifer's and Jenny's, I go by Jenni. I am an emt-b and currently enrolled in fire science I and II to get my FFII certification. I know that my chances of getting on a dept will increase after I have my FFII ( out here they do entrance into the paramedic program for those who are ona fire dept get priority, then those on ambulance services, then regular civilians..needless to say it's darn hard to get in there!).
    Anyway, i have been applying anyway, and taking fire fighting exams too. Gladly I places #7 on the dept I would absolutely love to be with out of 325!
    I have wanted to be a firefighter /paramedic since I was about 13 years old and had my share ( and I think some other people's shares too, LOL!) of obsticals along the way. I am going to make this happen for me as I have not been happy with any other jobs i have had, always knowing that this was what I wanted to do.
    I am fairly new to this site so I have a lot of looking and reading to do and I know that I will be back to see if I can find answers to questions I may have or post some new ones. Until then,
    does anyone have any advice for anyone searching to get on a good dept?
    Thanks in advance!
    Stay Safe,
    Jenni
    Last edited by phoenixnraven; 08-07-2003 at 03:34 PM.

CUTTER
    Firehouse.com Guest

Welcome to the fire service and to the fourms Jenni. You are on your way already so don't let anybody get in your way.

THE ONLY WAY TO FAIL IS TO QUIT CUTTER

MembersZone Subscriber

Default getting a firefighter job

Take a CPAT (physical ability) test to see where you fit in physically and if you have any areas to work on will become apparent. Best of luck. We need more caring people!!

Welcome to the forums Jen

My online FD CSFD is looking for Firefighter - Paramedics if your intrested

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey thanks for the welcome guys! Currently I am on a Volunteer fire dept that isn't very active. As I was told it's a "good 'ol boy" fire dept. Lots of farm land and what not and not really any hydrants so we have to pump the water. I need to have some kind of affilitaion to btain my FFII.

I did take the cpat for another fire dept to get on as a FT career and I did pretty darn good I believe. Out of 300+ applicants I am #7 on the final list which is good for 2 years.( great advice by the way

I grew up around fire depts as my grandfather was on one for 20 some odd years down in dade County Florida. When I expressed to him that this was what I knew I wanted to do, his eye brows bent down and he told me to go to college and get a desk pencil pusher job, have kids and afamily and live a normal life. Ooookkkkk??!! I was his favorite grandaughter and used to follow him around the station and rode out ona few calls. The guys at teh station called me Pixie because I was very petite and followed him around like a fairy,LOL! Hey what can i say? I was little! LOL! I began living on my own when I was 16..had my own apt and everything, then i had a baby. My boy! He stopeed breathing at age 3 weeks and I freaked out! Went to emt-a ( some of you know how long ago THAT was,LOL!) Unfortunately I let it expire..if they had a picture up there ^ of someone getting hit over the head i would use it! Anyway, the point is, i went back got my emt-b, learned, found a mentor and someone to take me under his wing...my emt-A instructor!! How cool is that?! And I look forward to learning more, getting that badge and standing beside fellow firefighters!
    Stay Safe!
    Jenni

Welcome and good luck. Always good to have fresh faces!
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Hey Thanks! Got some info that my old emt-a instructor is now teaching trench rescue and have sent in the application for consideration for that. Hope I get in! THAT would be awesome.

The city finally linked all of our stations up to the high speed server, which not only makes for some serious interstation computer gamming, but they made firehouse.com the homepage...which got me reading these forums. When the LT doesn't want to play allied assualt with the guys downtown, I've been interested in reading what you guys have to say around here. So add a "Howdy Ho" in for me along with Jenni's...and speaking of EMT-Ambulance..I would love to get my hands on one of those old registry patches. I'm not a patch collector or anything, but that's a pretty nostolgic one...and probably hard to find nowadays I'll bet.

Fraternally,

Dan
    IAFF #772

MembersZone Subscriber

ah, more Illinois people. I am also new here im not nearly as far along as most everyone else here i decided a month ago this is what i wanted to do when i found out my grandfather opened the Fruitland, ID fire house. (i also am not interested in working any other job other than bill gates' ) I am very lost on where to go and what to do however because this is a whole new world to me.. once i get my new job im going to become a licensed EMT from there??? go to firescience classes at college of dupage??? i really dont know.. one person told me to look at near by depts for for volly work none i have no experience. suggestions????

Thread Information