Forum Member

Talking Show me the Money!!!

I really hate that quote but it about the only thing that I can say at this point. I was told lastnight by a friend on the dept that we were approved for a Fire Act grant in total of $105,556. And then today I see our small-town FDs name on the firehouse.com website. I'm almost to the point of bouncing off the walls.

Now just if we can make some money at our golf outing on the 16th in Sandoval we'll be doing pretty good.

Anyone else here gotten any good news yet?

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
    www.helpingourown.com
    "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Talking CAA-FREAKIN'-CHING!!!

WOOHOO!!!

Outstanding!!!! Good for you, that's very cool. So, what are you doing with a windfall of such porportions?!

Inquiring minds want to know.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Forum Member

Default the shopping list is pretty long.....

I know that at the discussion meeeting there was over 2 pages of wants and needs. I think we finally agreed on the following:

1 4500lb Cascade
    16 4500lb airpacks
    25 bunkergear
    4 Halligans
    12 Portable radios
    1 thermal Imager

Now whether or not we can afford all of this is a different matter. But we're gonna try

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
    www.helpingourown.com
    "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

Forum Member

Default Congratulations!

Way to go neighbors!! Put in a good word with FEMA for us just south of you would you and spend your money! We've asked for pretty much the same: turnout gear, SCBA, hose, portable radios, and training material. Still waiting and hoping! Congratulations again!

Chad
    SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Congrats! We scored also!

Congrats on the award! Glad to here some of our brothers got a piece of the pie. We were just notified that we are ereciving ours also. $22,662.00 for a training center. This should be a great asset to our area departments (9 depts train here).

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Congratulations from the south. I saw your name on the list, along with a few others from down here. Hope it keeps up so Sandoval and us can get some of the pie, too.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

Blue, you oughta be able to get all that stuff on your list for that kinda money.

We spent just over $60,000 on a 4500psi cascade and 14 packs last year; turnouts oughta not cost you more than $1100 each, halligans are negiligible when you're talking about that kinda money ($100), radios, depending on what kind, $1000, TIC shouldn't run more than $12,000.

That'll run ya close to $114,000 on my calculator. With your 10% it's right there. Squeeze those damn suppliers. They'll make enough money off of you!!! Good luck!
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Chad's gettin' a new toy!

Chad, I hear congratulations are in order for the Sandoval FPD. Bought a new truck today, huh?
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Grrrrrrrr. I mean, goody goody!

So what?
    You guys haven't told Blue about my feelings on FIRE Act?
    You tryin' to start something? Could you rub my face in it any harder? Being one of the "truly" needy in this state and still, no federal panacea yet?
    I swear; if they hadn't already budgeted money for next year, I'd jump off the tallest bridge over Pope Crick(pronounced "creke" if you're from Hinckley).
    Seriously; I'm happy for ANYONE from Illinois who gets some of their tax money back from the feds.
    I was just funnin' with you, but I was serious about Jay. He talks funny.
    Hey; did you hear the one about the grant writer, the peer group and the mime? I can't remember the joke, but the punch line is "it was just an act!" Oh, oh, I'm holding my side. My stomach hurts.
    Congrats, Blue and to the rest of you mugs.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

Default Cat's out of the bag

Didn't take long for that news to get out. Actually, it's not quite a done deal yet. Spoke to the Chief this morning and we still haven't gotten the financing approval yet. Hopefully we will have the answer today. If all goes well we're are going to try and get a brand new Crimson Fire (Spartan/Luverne/Quality merger) demonstrator model located in Louisiana from Towers in Freeburg if it's still available. It's a 1250 gpm with 1000 gallon tank and 5 man custom cab. They still need to make a few changes to it before we get it (add dump valve, etc) but if all goes well we could have it by the end of September or first of October. Might as well spill the other beans. We ordered a new ambulance (should be here in September) and are putting the finishing touches on our new rescue chassis that we got last month. Actually we are removing the rescue equipment box from our old chassis and placing it on the new one. Painting of the box should be done today or tomorrow. I consider ourselves very fortunate that our trustees are investing so much into the present and future of our department and it's residents. My hat's off to them. Hope we can find the money to pay for everything! By the way, didn't want to tell you so you guys don't razz me but we really had to get another pumper since one of ours was totaled out. I didn't have anything to do with it! I know you won't give me a hard time about that little boo-boo will you guys?!!

Chad
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

MembersZone Subscriber

Chad, we can't bust your chops if we don't have any info.

C'mon, a partial confession is not good for the soul. Details! Info! Better yet, PICTURES!!!

Glad to here you're getting good stuff!
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Forum Member

Unhappy Bad News

Well guys, the bad news came today. Our local bank does not want to help finance the new truck. I guess they're afraid we won't be able to make the payments or something. We still have a couple of options left like other banks, a lease agreement, new state loan program, etc. but looks like we may have to wait until next year, probably try to float a bond issue and try again. At least we've managed to get the rescue chassis and ambulance especially since we do 600 to 700 ambulance calls a year the ambulance was pretty important.

Jay, don't have any pictures right now but to make a long story short we had our oldest pumper (our '69 LaFrance) out for a routine maintenance drive and, well, the driver found out he had a problem with the brakes. He finally got it stopped after it made a short trip through a field. Luckily he was out in the country and wasn't hurt but it doesn't take a whole lot of damage to total out a truck that old. Most of the damage was to the front bumper and cab and is probably repairable but there wasn't enough insurance coverage to cover the repair work so the insurance company totaled it. Pump still works great, just can't drive it to a fire! And no I was not driving!!!

Chad
    I.A.C.O.J.

MembersZone Subscriber

Chad, please tell me they let you hang on to the pump! How big was it? That'd go great on a nice big tanker, you know. Anyway, glad to hear your man wasn't hurt. Too bad to lose a nice old ALF though. Those things LOOKED like a fire truck!
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Forum Member

Jay, actually the insurance company didn't know what to do with the truck so they let us buy it back for next to nothing so we still have it. The pump is a 1000 gpm ALF. Not sure what the trustees are planning to do with it since they've been focused on finding a way to replace it. I understand that to make it legal to drive again it has to be repaired and then taken to Missouri to pass inspection. Is that right? Guess there's always the chance we might just try to fix it. It was a bear to drive though. Good ol' manual transmission. I'm not that tall so I almost had to stand up to reach the clutch and push it in ! She sure could draft though!
    I.A.C.O.J.

MembersZone Subscriber

Chad, I talked to the salesman about an hour after your guys signed the contract on the 13th and again on the 15th. Maybe I know more than you do. He did say they had to make some mods and you'd have it in 30 - 45 days.
    Did you guys try USDA Rural Development for money? We just got the balance for our new truck from them for 4.25% fixed rate for up to 25 years. They claimed they have all the loan money you could want. Give them a try.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default What?

Chad:
    Your local bank wouldn't loan your department money for a new truck?
    What'd you do? Kick the bank president's son off of the department?
    That's unheard of. We borrow money from our bank all the time. I would take it very personally if the local bank didn't want to do business with the fire department. I would, at the very least, move all of my personal accounts and if I had any personal loans with them, I'd move those too.
    Sorry to hear about your predicament. Hope it works out. Take Jack's advice. USDA Rural is sitting on a pile of cash right now. If you get all of your people to HazMat Level A in the next 20 minutes, you can get some Homeland Security money!
    Good luck.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

CR,
    Thanks for your input. I've already been in touch with Jack about the USDA. I hear you about pulling everything out of the bank but since I don't know both sides of the story I'm not going to make any quick judgments and that's the trustees decision. I don't bank there so no action needed from me. Hey, maybe that's why! Chad doesn't bank here so let's not give them any money!! That would stink!

Speaking of Haz-Mat, Jack is anything going on in Washington County with regards to forming a regional haz-mat team? I've heard that depts in Marion County are trying to get funding to start one. I've also heard Centralia is spearheading the effort. Any truth to those rumors?

Oh, and CR, well, umm, his dad wasn't bank president but a bank officer and I'm not at liberty to discuss his son's dismissal. (Honestly, I'm not kidding!) Politics can sometimes be a dirty thing and I'd rather not get involved although I pray that wasn't the reason for the denial.

Chad
    I.A.C.O.J.

MembersZone Subscriber

Chad, talked to Marsha at the Nashville Rural Development office today. She said nobody's contacted her yet from your place. There's also an office in Salem, but you guys are in the Nashville region.
    Wash. Co. will probably not do anything with haz mat. If I remember right, Mabas 47 may be doing something and that would take in Marion county and Centralia. I missed the last chief's meeting so I don't know the latest developments. But I doubt seriously if anything will happen in our county alone.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Thread Information