Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Bidding out grant items??

Does anyone know requirements for seeking bids for equipment purchased through the FIRE Act? Specifically, do we have to bid items that cost less than $10,000 (or is it some other amount)?

What's been the experience of past recipients?
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.Ē
    --General James Mattis, USMC

You should follow your established policies on procurement, if you have none then the '"common rule" is 2 or more vendors. You are also allowed to go sole source when compatability is a factor. Just document in your 6 month performance report that you needed to go sole source and the reason.

This was to us from FEMA last year

Forum Member
    Smack dab in the middle of Central Illinois

What about evaluating equipment and liking the higher bidder better? Are you restricted to the low bid, or can you purchase what your department prefers?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Personally, if the equipment and service are equal, then obviously go with the low bid. But if feedback shows that one vendor is terrible on customer service, or the "equivalent" equipment isn't really equal, then go with the better bid. The feds have no stipulations on which bid to take. Their assumption is that you already did that work to get your price for the application so that you submitted an accurate price.

Forum Member

Any input on used apparatus? We sent out general specs, but its kinda apples and grapefruit. Do we have to necessarily go with the lower price if our committe says one is a better truck?

Forum Member
    Smack dab in the middle of Central Illinois

Based on what I found in this forum, and what the "guidelines" say, you are not restricted to the lowest bid, but are expected to get at least two bids.

My opinion is, I am going to go with what works best for my department even if they are not the lowest bidder. I will be fiscally responsible though, and not use the highest priced equipment.

Forum Member

Post bidding out

Follow your departmentally established rules or the rules your city or county follow if directly involved with them. If still nothing check with state for guidance (they sometimes have different rules for themselves as state vs their requirements for smaller public agencies.)

If you document you are attaching a rider to a state or large big (i.e. tag onto Portland to pick up same gear they are buying) then it is assumed to have already been bidded (as long as it is within the fireact budgeted amount).

THF

Thread Information