Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Extrication training advice

I am a volunteer firefighter/emt grunt that is trying to help my Lieutentant with our shift training. He's really busy because he is also the Medical Cooridnator for the department. I was the training person for my division in the Navy so I know I can help but it's been 8 years and I'm very rusty! So I thought that I would come here to the firehouse forums and see if someone could give some advice about how to set up a decent training outline so everything runs smoothly.
    My Lieutenant directed me to a row of "Carbuster" instructor manuals + videos and told me to have at it. I'm thrilled that he wants me to teach an extrication class and I hope that I can make him proud.
    My idea is this: We do a lot of "cut 'em up" classes at the local dump but we haven't worked on size up and assessment as much as we should. I'd like us to work from step one - get on scene, assess the vehicle, set up the extrication equipment, do a size up over the radio, decide what to do and where/when to cut up the car. We'd stop there since we don't have a real car to cut up. I figured we could eyeball pictures of various types of scenes and verbalize our plan of attack. My Lieutenant would also like to have patient scenarios involved with the extrication scenarios. He told me that patient care is a big part of the whole picture.
    I'd like my shift to work smoothly as a team so we can be efficient on a real scene! The less bumbling, the better.
    Has anyone ever done this kind of extrication training before? Do you have any ideas you'd like to share? My main obstacle is just plain setting up the class so that it runs smooth and I cover all the necessary material!
    If anyone can give me a hand I'll be very greatful.

Anyhoo, I ran out of time so I decided to teach a 3-part series on extrication utilizing the "Carbusters" stuff. My Lieutenant gave me the go-ahead. I hope I can pull it off!

Thread Information