Forum Member

Default Long Island This Weekend... Events?

Just wondering if anybody is in or going to Long Island this weekend? I am and to tell you the truth I dont know why...? I was asked to by a county coordinator so me and some other guys are coming down for something but I would really love to know whats goin down in the area?

PLus... anybody from the Selden fire department? If you are... EMAIL me thanks.
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

MembersZone Subscriber

This weekend is the NY state parade and racing tournament. The parade is being hosted by Medford FD and the racing is at the firemans park in Ridge. What do you need to know about Selden, 2 of our dispatchers are from Selden FD and I can ask them? Where are you staying?
    B Holmes

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Thumbs up

Don't forget to check out the Museum -- it's at the Firemen's Park, off to the right when you drive up Firefighter's Way.

This site may help:

http://www.fdracing.com/

This is the Museum's site:

http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/brookhavenfiremuseum/

PS I know a lot of people in Selden, too -- anyone in particular that you are looking for?

MembersZone Subscriber

PS I know a lot of people in Selden, too -- anyone in particular that you are looking for?
    Yeah, How's JR's moustache?

Forum Member

Well this guy I am going down with goes down every year... I guess we are staying at Selden? I THink anyways... I dont know he says thats who he has stayed with for years and years... and considering he is an elder to me... years means a lot of years lol... I was curious if they had a website or anything? I dont know... all I know is I am not coming back until Monday after a stop in NYC and that I am leaving tomorrow morning at 9. I can only imagine city traffic compared to my hick town... I will hate it I am sure. Well hope to hear from you guys tonight.
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Cool Re. Selden

It's like the center of the Island (going north and south). They're busy, esp. with EMS (MVA's) since they have a few "main" roads in their district. Good Fire Prevention program, too. They share a Vietnam Memorial (on a hill with a great view of the Island) with the neighboring town, but don't go there after dark....LOL....They have tons of strip malls, too....

http://www.seldenfiredistrict.org/

Have fun.... Check out Port Jefferson at night (right Brennan?) -- more and (better) bars....If you ask the dispatcher nicely, you may be able to park in the PJFD parking lot.

Forum Member

I have found that site too... but what I am really interested in is what does the hall look like? What should I be expecting? lol

Oh and Im young so bars are of no interest...lol
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Forum Member

rfcmitch

We don't have a bunkroom so you'll probably be sleeping in the recliners in the Rec Room. We have allot of new young guys that hang out so they should be able to point you in the right directions. Are you coming down with Gary?

E229LT

JR's moustache is doing fine. He was at the in house stand-by we had last night.

DianeC

Haven't I met you somewhere before?

Forum Member

XCapt...

You know Gary Weutrich huh? I think thats how you spell his name. But yeah thats who I am coming with. I am sure it will be a fun ol time down there. I dont know... he says we are staying with an awesome department but I'll be the judge of that. lol Well gotta get ready to go we are leavin in an hour or so, later.
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Forum Member

Default Weekend complete...

What a lot of fun... I had an awesome time in Long Island... but I would like to report on some things that to us "hicks" as we were titled find very different to us....

Everyone has a cellphone... and are constantly talking on it like a two-way radio. Evidently this new technology hasnt his us upstaters that I know of.
    Tatoos... wow... one person has more down there than up here in the whole town.
    the "F" bomb... heavily used.

And wow! What $$$$$$$$$ is down there. They put more into their engines for the drills than we have for a budget in 2 years. But I am not complaining... I am glad the money is somewhere.

But dont get me wrong, great people down there and thank you Selden! I have never seen such a dedicated group of individuals. But it was fun and just figred I would tell ya all how it went.
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Forum Member

rfcmitch

Sorry I didn't get back down to the firehouse. My 3-week-old daughter had other plans. It was nice to meet you and I'm glad you had fun.

You made some good observations why you were here. The Nextel cell phones are big around here. Even guys without jobs have them. They do come in handy though. All our officers are issued them and there is also one in the radio room. They use them for notifications the officers need to know. They also work great as a second way to communicate non-emergency stuff from scenes. They worked great at the Trade Center.

As for Tattoos..... There are allot of people with them. I have one myself. Allot of the tattoos you saw were probably for the Trade Center. Allot of guys spent time there and we also lost the Capt of my company there. He was working with engine 235. We just lost another brother a couple of months ago from my company. He was a probie in the "Fire Factory" of FDNY. He was killed changing a flat on the grass shoulder of a highway. He was part of a group called the Brat Pack in my department so some of them are getting tattoos in memory of him. Add to this we also have a tattoo artist in my department. I guess it makes for allot of tattoos.

As for "F bomb" all I can say is yes it is and as for $$$$$$ on Long Island there is allot of it in the fire service.

Stay Safe

Thread Information