Thread: Blackout

Forum Member

Default Blackout

Well who all here is affected by the blackout, seems like its spreading,m well im a dummy if, it it was affecting you, you wouldnt be replying
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Hey Ryan................

Can you say "Onan"?? Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Well, pretty crazy though. Glad I'm not working in one of those cities....I can just imagine all the alarms going off....
    "The more we sweat in training, the less we bleed in battle."

Forum Member

What blackout? I didnt know about any blackout... actually yeah I did. Well I am not affected by it... but about 3 minutes up the road is. Glad I am not involved...

Any word on how long? Cause I kinda have a trip planned for Long Island to goto Selden... are they affected. I would think they would be.
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Forum Member

I would advise against getting on the road and going anywhere near any major city. The traffic is bad enough with working traffic lights....
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

HNFC FF/President

New Jersey National Guard is being Mobilized for northern new jersey. Glad Southern New Jersey isn't affected.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

dazed and confused

Default "People will cause trouble" (hopefully not tonight though)

Aside from the crowds in the streets that immediately drew me back to september 2001, this was the other thing that flashed into my head:

Blackout

Original Airdate: May 13, 2002
    When New York City suffers a blackout, Sully prophetically warns the more optimistic Davis that people will cause trouble. While Doc and Carlos check on housebound elderly people, their ambulance burns up because Carlos left the engine running. A wealthy old man, Albert Jacobs (FRANK RAITER), offers them a large amount of money to stay with him until his daughter arrives, but the paramedics must leave. Bosco arrests a loitering young man, Latrell Griffith (J.D. JACKSON), and faces a difficult decision when an immigrant shop owner shoots and wounds a teenage shoplifter. Only Latrell, a former medic, can save the victim. A riot ensues after Bosco, Latrell and the shoplifter escape, and nightfall brings more unrest as the nervous cops try to keep the peace. Meanwhile, Yokas and Fred get stranded in a dark elevator when the blackout occurs. Fred has a heart attack before they can be rescued.

Be safe, everyone.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

FIGJAM

Heard about this over here in Oz this morning- it sounds huge!

Does your depatment have response SOP's or similar in place for blackouts?

We automatically respond to ALL calls with rotators, flashers, etc on (Excpet sirens, unless a priority 1 call). What about you guys?
    Luke

Forum Member

When a blackout occurs all units go onto radio stand by and usuualy the emergency genorator at the station kicks in

IACOJ Agitator

Contrary to the national news, the entire state of Connecticut did not lose power.

I know Hartford suffered a blackout but then by 5-ish part or all of the city had power back.

My town had a surge but did not lose power, neither did Windsor Locks (where the Airport is). Vernon and South Windsor had power also.

So it seems like the blackout didn't go past Hartford in North Central CT (don't know how Windsor or Bloomfield turned out).
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Forum Member

ISO intentionally shut down many parts of the CT grid to prevent it from getting fried. There is a lot of southern CT out as well but it is spotty. It is coming back bit by bit as they reconfigure.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Sittin here in Cattaraugus County... we didnt get it but 5 or 10 minutes down the road was out. And up a little ways in our own county was out too. We figured it went like this in our area... NYSEG customers had power, like me for example, Niagra Mohawk customers didnt...? Or atleast thats how it was in my area. We never recieved nothing from this, heck if I wouldnt have turned on the ol tv to the news I wouldnt have even known anything about it. So not all of NYS is out either.
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

SFDny15
    Firehouse.com Guest

Had the power out here in Southern NY (about 20 miles from NYC) from about 4:15 to 7:30. The second the power went out, the county fire radio lit up with huge amounts of automatic alarms. There were also confirmed fires at 2 major power plants in the county (Rockland County).

As far as I know, our county is back up and running. Hope everything is well with all people affected.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Blackout

Power out here in Albion from 4:15 to 9:00pm. Village 10 miles to the West never lost power. Most of Western NY did though with some pockets who didn't.
    "The uniform is supposed to say something about you. You get it for nothing, but it comes with a history, so do the right thing when you're in it."
    Battalion Chief Ed Schoales
    from 'Report from Ground Zero' pg 149
    I.A.C.O.J. Member

Forum Member

Guess what is going to happen in around 9 months? EMS maturnity calls are going to sky rocket. I feel for all of ya'll up north.
    I talked with some of my power plant operators they said the voltage on our lines in Ga spiked with this happen as we are all connected togather on the grid. Luckily breakers somewhere up north opened and protected us further south.

luckily we dont have any elevators in our district i dont think. we had our power back here about 9:30. hey AFD good thing for you guys that the C.O.B. and the courthouse were already closed for the day

Forum Member

just for an update on the emergency response in NYC, both FD and EMS are getting slammed with calls. to give you an idea of how bad, they are requesting ambulances from central NJ to respond into NYC to assist with the EMS calls.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

rfcmitch

Selden was without power till about 11PM tonight. By 11PM most of the town had power. We had about fifteen runs before 11PM and we're still getting runs every now and then. So far there hasn't been anything major. Hopefully it will stay that way. What brings you to Selden? If you don't mind me asking.

Stay Safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

You know that there was a guy in a power plant up there who said...

"I wonder what would happen if..."

Forum Member

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI

I just flicked this switch way back here....................

Power was restored here about midnight or so. Was soooooo happy when the central air kicked back in
    Actually had a really nice evening playing monopoly and listening to the radio with the kids, something we haven't done for ages. No T.V., no computer, no Gamecube. Pulled out all the camping lights, cooked dinner on the barbeque and had a really nice evening.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well I got recalled to the station(per SOP) we were out on AFA's and EMS calls. The power went out at 4p and came back on around 12a. And the generator at the station died for about 2 hours...overheated the fan and vents never opened. Like it mattered we were out chassing calls. My wife and son got to enjoy the AC at the station though.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Guess what is going to happen in around 9 months? EMS maturnity calls are going to sky rocket.
    Are you kidding? without A/C there is now way anyone was letting their significant other near them. It was about 90 degrees plus in central park nevermind in the buldings where the sun has beating down on them all afternoon.

I was fortunate enought to be heading North from D.C. and Phlly yesterday afternoon after a short little vacation / reasearch trip. South bound was BAD on 95. At least 40 miles backed up from Cross Bronx Expressway all the way down to about half way between New York and Philly. When I say backed up I mean not moving at all, poor bastards.

When I hit Connecticut the traffic slowed and Stamford had some power. I heard on Fox this morning that there may not be juice until the end of the weekend in some parts. I feel for the elderly adn asthmatics who are going to have a lot of problems with this.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Default Just got off...

We handle a dozen or so calls due to the power outage 50/50 split on fire and ems. Power was back on by 8:15pm last nite.
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

IACOJ Agitator

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI

I thought he said "I wonder what this button does?"
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Shawn, shed a little "LIGHT" on the subject.

Who's fault? The US power authorities sound like "South Park's, "BLAME CANADA" "

Thread Information