District Chief

Thumbs up Our New York Brothers & Sisters Meet the Challenge Again!

I started to post this on the other threat entitled "blackout" but decided to start another one and dedicate it to the FDNY

As I watched the news today (as most of us did) and the events unfolded, one of the first things the mayor said was that "all fire department staff members had been re-called" and all off duty fire and police officer's have been re-called to duty."

I can only imagine what was passing through the minds of those brothers and sisters and they struggled against traffic to get to work. You can only wonder what they were feeling.....

Despite the fact that this was simply an act of nature they Brothers and Sisters of FDNY and several other large Metropolitan Cities rose to the occassion and did thier jobs. News reports indicated that some 40,000 police and firefighters would be on duty in those cities tonight....doing what they all do best!

Our thoughts and prayers are with you as you struggle through this night of darkness. THANKS

E229Lt...where ever you are...be safe....

God Bless You All

343 (346) 09-11 "All gave some....some gave all"
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

Amen, and Well Said Captstanm1 My thoughts and prayers are with all of our brothers tonight!

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

I was talking to E40FDNYL35 when he said BRB and then shortly after disappeared offline, I would imagine he's out there too.

HOPING OUR FDNY FRIENDS STAY SAFE TONIGHT!
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

One Dead, One Hurt in New York Blackout

By LARRY McSHANE
    .c The Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) - As lights began to flicker back on in New York City, Mayor Michael Bloomberg said at least one life had been lost and one firefighter seriously injured as the city responded to 80,000 emergency calls.

But the city stayed calm as police and firefighters dealt with double the normal volume of calls and 60 serious fires, due mostly to candles used to stave off the darkness. There were over 800 elevator rescues, Bloomberg noted, as he praised the city's response.

``Things on balance, almost 100 percent, did work,'' Bloomberg said.

The mayor said he expected the rest of the city's power to be restored by the end of Friday.

``In short, New Yorkers showed that the city that burned in the 1970s when facing similar circumstances is now a very different place,'' he said.

Bloomberg urged people to stay home from work, check on their elderly neighbors and drink lots of water to cope with the heat.

``If we are patient and understanding, I think we'll all get through the day,'' he said.

The one death reported was a 40-year-old who suffered a heart attack during a fire, Bloomberg said.

08/15/03 08:49 EDT
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Anyone have any info on the injured FF?

HOw did it happen?

How bad??

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Member from Brooklyn Ladder Company fell 2 stories. He is in stable condition.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

MembersZone Subscriber

Great Job FDNY, Hope you all are doing goodan stay safe.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

I Agree... Great job FDNY! and Stay safe!
    It is really amazing that so many people were able to stay so calm. You really have to wonder what the people stuck in subway tunnels and elevators thought they may see when they got out.

Stay safe,
    Janelle
    The hardest thing to learn in life is which bridge to cross and which to burn...

Default Juiceless in the city

It's was pretty scary at first, especially the first hour when no one knew what was happening. All of a sudden, everything just went dead (including phones, pagers, blackberries, cells) and we had no information. Needless to say the massive evacuations were a vivid reminder of 9/11. After the rumor spread that it was just a shortage then all you could really do was wait it out. The worst was for the millions of people who commute into the city every day and had to find their way home. Many tried to get to the bus depot and ferry landings and it took them forever to get home. Other's spent the night wondering around the city, or bunking in parks, churches, etc.. Some people were selling a night at their couch for $50, others for $100. Most restaurants and stores had "shortage" sales. Overall everyone was calm after the initial shock wore off. The emergency services had a really busy day and night and they certainly met the challenge. In my apartment building, six people were trapped in the elevator for two hours. The never knew was what happening outside so they werent scared just fustrated. The juiceless night turned into a big slumber party, with friends, candles and lots and I mean lots of junk food. To the finest and bravest, a big thank you for your hard work and keeping us all safe.

Thread Information