Fire destroys Mascotte mobile home


08/14/03
By PETE SKIBA
Daily Commercial Staff Writer
Email this story to a friend

MASCOTTE
Firefighters battled a blaze that quickly engulfed a mobile home in Mascotte and left no one injured but three homeless about noon Wednesday.

Half a three-bedroom single-wide mobile home at 772 Anderson Ave., threw flames to the air before firefighters began showering it with water, said Randy Brasher, Mascotte fire chief.

“Half the trailer was involved when we got here at 12:05,” Brasher said. “It spread from the corner to the rest of the home.”

Firefighters had the fire under control in 10 minutes, Brasher said. It was out in 15 minutes.

Brasher said the state Fire Marshall’s Office will be contacted and should conduct an investigation. Timothy Johnson said he had owned the mobile home for 10 years and his father Richard Johnson and his nephew Russell Davis were also living there.

The elder and younger Johnson left the residence to go to the store for 10 minutes, Timothy Johnson said. When they returned it was to fire trucks in front of their home near King of Kings Drive on Anderson Avenue.

“Pretty much everything we owned was inside,” Timothy Johnson, a general contractor said. “All gone now.” Fire Capt. L.W. MacPhee walked over and asked the fire victims if they had a place to stay or needed help.

The Red Cross would be called, MacPhee said, and could probably offer some assistance for a short time.

Sweating from the August heat, firefighters took a break, drank bottled water and sat in the shade of trees in front of the smoldering wreck. Two firefighters hosed down any hot spots left in the mobile home.

Mascotte and Groveland police departments, Lake Sumter Emergency Medical Services and Groveland Fire Department also responded to the emergency dispatch.