District Chief

Unhappy West Virginia LODD

God Bless this fallen brother, his family and his Department as they struggle through this time.

Racine, West Virginia Firefighter Killed In Truck-Related Accident

Courtesy of The Charleston Gazette

One firefighter was killed and another injured Wednesday afternoon when a fire truck backed over them at the Racine Volunteer Fire Department in Boone County.

Barry D. Lutsy, 45, of Ashford was pronounced dead after an ambulance took him to CAMC General Hospital, said Boone County sheriff’s Chief Deputy Rodney Miller.

The other firefighter, Nicholas D. Cornell, 17, of Seth, had leg injuries. Miller said he didn’t think Cornell’s injuries were life threatening. A hospital operator said Cornell was in stable condition Wednesday night.

Miller said the firefighters were cleaning the truck and backing it into the garage after responding to a vehicle fire when Lutsy and Cornell were struck about 2 p.m.

He would not give the name of the truck’s driver but said he was a volunteer firefighter. The truck has backup lights and warning sirens that sound when it is put in reverse, he said.

The Sheriff’s Department is investigating the accident. Miller said the department examined the truck and found no mechanical problems.

“We’ve still got a lot of details we need to overturn,” Miller said. “We’re still knee deep in it”

Other nearby fire departments in Boone County were providing trucks and firefighters to cover the area Wednesday night, he said.

The accident comes at a time when firefighters in the area are on edge due to a number of arson fires. Seven fires since last month have caused thousands of dollars in damage in Racine and the area around it.

Four fires erupted in the area Monday; all were set and all were within five miles of each other. Three arson-fires set on separate days have been called in to the Racine department at 1:12 a.m., authorities have said.

Investigators believe the fires could be the work of a single arsonist and state fire marshals have offered a reward for information.

Visitation is today from 6-9 p.m. and Funeral arrangements are scheduled for Saturday, at 2 p.m. at Stevens Funeral Home, 1 Official Plaza, Madison, West Virginia.

Donations for the Memorial Fund can be sent to c/o Racine Volunteer Fire Department, P.O. Box 100, Racine, WV. 25165

The Associated Press contributed to this story.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

They have My full sympathy

Thread Information