Default New Scott Model?

Anyone have any inside info on the new scott SCBA model? I think they are calling it the NXG2. We got the cd in our last firehouse mag. Ive already called our local distributor, as we're currently specing new packs. Unfortunately he didn't have any info on them yet. It looks like some great changes are being made. I especially like the snap fitting on the air cylinder.
    Anyone on the inside of this?

Forum Member

Yea were A little P-off since we just took delivery of 30 what we were told "new" scott packs. If they would have told us there was going to be a new pack we would have waited. We got scammed into buying their old left over crap.
    Last edited by choad33; 08-19-2003 at 12:24 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default NXG2

I was out at the factory in the spring to get my certification renewed. While I was there I got a look at the NXG2, and at the time it was still in the R&D phase with no release date set.

From what I saw - I didn't get to pick it up and play with it only look at it - they have made some great changes to an already good Air-Pak. The reducer has been redesigned so the cylinder has a male quick connect that goes directly into the reducer. No more threading the hose onto the cylinder valve. It appeared that the backframe is more compact and form fitting. The unit has the EZ-Flo II which reduces the exhalation resistance by 25%, and of course the HUD and the RIT connection.

I can't wait to get play with a unit and see all of the changes.

For the record I have been a Scott repair tech. for over 15 years.

Hope this helps.

Patrick

So is the new pack the next generation, or an addition to the 4.5? We are looking to upgrade in the near future and don't know if I should look at the 4.5 or nxg2.

IACOJ Agitator

I haven't heard or seen anything on the new packs yet, so this may be a dumb question but can you still use your old 4500 psi cylinders with the new pack?
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Adze, I would have to say no. At least not without replacing the cylinder stem. The new packs have what looks like a compressed air fitting that snaps directly into the pressure reducer. Instead of having that little box on the left rear of the pack frame, that looks to be built right into the small of the back. Ive looked at their website, but it hasn't been updated in months.

MembersZone Subscriber

We just spoke to a Scott rep last week, and from what he says we will still be able to use our old bottles, they are supposed to be set up with both styles of fittings. I am not sure if that is standard or you would have to order the older style fitting as an option, but they can be et up to work with both from what we were told.

I can't see how you could use your old cylinder. There is no high pressure hose on this pack to connect the cylinder to the reducer. There is a standard air fitting to refil the cylinder, but I think it would defeat the purpose of the snap change system to try and use your old cylinder.

Forum Member

It would seem like a bad idea to me to come out with a new style that will not work with existing equipment, unless they don't expect people to get them. Not that many departments can afford to completely switch out all their SCBA at once, including spare bottles. Also, do fill stations need to be modified to be able to fill these new bottles?

MembersZone Subscriber

I dunno, I have yet to see one I am just going by what we were told. Our concerns were two fold, we tend to buy 2-4 SCBA's a year as funds allow, and wanted to be sure that the crapload of good bottles we have could be used with this new pack if we were to buy it. Also when we run mutual aid often times we end up using the primary stations bottles off thier air truck, and did not want to get stuck with a system that meant we were unable to swap bottles with anyone else in the county.

We just bought a bunch of spare bottles, and would like to start buying these new packs when we order but if we cannot use our stock of good bottles or use the others when we run mutual aid it just wouldn't be worth it.

Fill stations don't need to be modified from what I can pick up from the cd. The standard fitting still exists there, but at a 90 degree angle from that is the male compressor fitting. I guess the high pressure hose of a 4.5 would fit the new cylinder, but the retention collar is missing on the new cyinders. The more these questions come up, the more im convinced its an entirely new line.

Forum Member

Anybody have a website I can look at and see more about these?

I would assume, since the retention collar is missing (not needed?) that old bottles might still be usable on these, however, bottles for these packs would not be usable on current Scott SCBA's?

NJ convention in Childwood in a few weeks, hopefully, someone down there will have some of these....between all the TShirts and hats.

Bones, the only info I have on them is from the cd that came in this month's firehouse. Im surprised its not online somewhere, but google isn't finding anything. I was told it should debut at ICHIEFS, so shortly after that I would look for lots of info.
    As far as the retention collar, it may actually interfere with the coupling of the cylinder into the pressure reducer. Picutre a t-shaped stem, cylinder to the bottom. On the left side would be the hand valve, same as the older model. On the right would be the standard air refill connection, like the threads on the older packs. But at a 90 degree angle to them in the center is a male compressed air fitting. Unless the collar was shorter than that, I think it would interfere with connecting it. There should be an easy retrofit though.
    Anyone have the technical know-how to post some shots from the cd?

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

We had the regional Scoot factory guy in our fiirehouse last night doing a demo for us for our grant money. I asked him about the NXG2 airpak and he showed us 2 cd's one was the firehouse one and the other was some factory pr cd. The NXG2 is not available yet.

Here is the scoop.

The valve assembly is totally different. They will not interchange with other scba. You can retrofit your current cylinders with the new assembly. It is available only in 4500 psi. The new valve assembly has 2 fittings. The snap fitting that snaps into the pressure reducing block. There is no high pressure hose only the low pressure hose from the reducing block up to the face piece regulator. When you turn on the cylinder and it reaches 50 psi the snap connection is locked into place. In order to remove the cylinder you must shut off the cylinder and bleed air pressure to below 50 psi then you pull 2 retention pins and the cylinder can then be removed. The second is a threaded fitting that is used for filling with current cascade systems. This fitting has a check valve in it for filling, there is no need to turn on the tank valve to fill through this fitting. It can NOT be used to attach to a regular high pressure hose setup on current air paks, it is a fill only port.

The factory rep said it will not replace the current air pak 50. It is an option. Again it is only available in 4500 psi at this time. We looked at the cd's and decided to stay with the air pak 50.

Hope this helps,

FyredUp

To all those that have questions on the Air-Pak NxG2,

Yes, it is true; Scott will be introducing a new SCBA at this year's IChiefs show in Dallas. The NxG2 is the next generation of SCBA technology from Scott.

Can you still use your old cylinders? - Yes, simply change the valve on them.

Does the NxG2 have a high-pressure hose? - No, Scott eliminated the need for a high-pressure hose. The new cylinder valve snaps directly into the high-pressure reducer.

What pressures are available? - Both the 2216 and 4500 psig are available.

What other features/improvements did Scott make? - For that please check out the following website: www.newscottproducts.com or stop by Scott's booth at IChiefs.

I will check back often to this thread to help answer your questions, but if you would like to speak to someone directly about the NxG2, please call 866.Get.NxG2.

Have a safe day,
    NxG2Guy

Forum Member

Nx2Guy...

A factory rep was at my firehouse last night and he said this was available ONLY in 4500 psi. So tell me who is right?

FyredUp

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for the link.

Forum Member

Well if you folks had any doubts about who reads these forums here's proof they pay attention.

I just now got a phone call from the Scott rep that was at my firehouse last night. The NxG2 is in fact available in 2216 and 4500 psi.

FyredUp

Forum Member

Originally posted by NxG2Guy
    To all those that have questions on the Air-Pak NxG2,

Yes, it is true; Scott will be introducing a new SCBA at this year's IChiefs show in Dallas. The NxG2 is the next generation of SCBA technology from Scott.

Have a safe day,
    NxG2Guy
    The e-mail address for tyco did not work that you sent me. Send me a valid address we REALLY have alot to talk about.

NXG2guy, is there going to be any promotion for the new packs? From what has been posted, retail begins around 10% higher. Why should we go from proven technology (at a reasonable price) to an unproven model?

IACOJ Agitator

Because there is a new model out, does that mean the price of the fifty's are going to drop or are they eventually (in the next couple of years) going to stop production?
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Forum Member

So, is this the same scba Scott was coming out with for several years now? Anyone from NY want to chime in? Is it the same quick disconnect on the cylinder that Drager used?

Thread Information