Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Question tanker dump size?

Does anyone know of requirements for dumps on tanker trucks(either size or rate of dump)thanks for any help

Forum Member

Check NFPA 1901, Chapter 17, para 17-5.

Basically you should be able to dump 90% of the tank to the left, right or rear at the rate of 1000 GPM.

Spec NFPA 1901 compliance if you are having a tanker built by an apparatus manufacturer.

Stay Safe
    IACOJ

The NFPA 1000 gpm rating is kinda silly, works well on a 1000 gallon rig and poorer on larger tanks, the dump arrangement should increase in flow as the tank gets larger. We can drive 200 feet dump our tank and drive 200 feet in less than 1 minute.

Forum Member

Originally posted by magnolia
    The NFPA 1000 gpm rating is kinda silly, works well on a 1000 gallon rig and poorer on larger tanks, the dump arrangement should increase in flow as the tank gets larger. We can drive 200 feet dump our tank and drive 200 feet in less than 1 minute.
    Does your dump zone have a safety officer assigned? Can you dump more than 1,000 GPM safely? What size dump tank are you using?
    Remember, it IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you!

Does your dump zone have a safety officer assigned?

Heck no, why would we a guy can stand and have the 2500 gpm side dump dump right on him and not knock him over.

Can you dump more than 1,000 GPM safely?

I guess so 15 years and counting no accidentsa, injuries or damaged drop tanks.

What size dump tank are you using?

14 inch with a CAFS jet

Forum Member

Magnolia (or LHS), there is a lot I could learn from you if you would just stop being such a horse's ***. Your ISO book has been very, very helpful. But when you sit down at a keyboard to answer some serious questions, you sometimes forget to engage your brain. I have a hard time envisioning the ability to dump that much water safely. It might be standard practice in your area, that's why I was asking questions.

As Steve Martin says, "Well, excuse me!."
    Remember, it IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you!

Don't believe me! Feel free to take a look at

http://www.advantageapparatus.com/deliveries.htm

They dump at 1750 as do most vacuum tankers, if you read most of the literature in the fire service press you will see 1500 to 4000 gpm dump rates published.

Does it really make sense to dump at 1000 gpm with a 8000 gallon tanker and with a 1500 tanker? No more than it does to use a booster reel on a trash can and a fully involved house. NFPA is a minimum standard. So 1000 gpm per minute is? 16 gallons a second at zero psi or 139 pounds spread out over 100 square inches, a whopping 1.39 pounds per square inch, you can walk through it, at 4000 gpm 5 pounds per square inch. I don't see a safety issue, do you?

In answer to the original question, there is no requirement, there is a minimum standard.

Thread Information