Default Info needed ASAP: Trench/Collapse Struts & Shoring

Why ASAP? 'Cause the Chief asked me to do this...two months ago. Been very busy this summer and he tracked me down Sunday

Anyway, I need manufactures and/or info on struts/shores to be used as part of a regional heavy rescue team.

Initial emphasis of the team is on trench rescue & confined space, although I anticipate that will extend to collapse rescue with a couple years.

The regional system has three rescue trailers, plus a fourth Sheeting & Shoring trailer. Depending on cost & how the systems work, either the struts will be distributed among the rescue trailers to allow some quick "first aid" stabilization while awaiting the other units to complete a full stabilization or they may all be carried on the Sheeting & Shoring trailer.

Vendors/Manufacturers are welcome to contact me at mkivela@mortlake.org .

I have vacation next week, and really want to pull the information together and get quotes put together for a decision very early in September. More info I can get before this weekend the better, since I'll be on truck coverage at our county fair so I'll have plenty of time to read!

MembersZone Subscriber

Dal90,

I've found that Air Shore is the best shoreing equipment on the market. www.airshore.com Contact your local rep and request a demo.

SFDENG2

MembersZone Subscriber

Dal90,

SFDENG2 again, I don't know if Shipmans carries Air Shore in your area but if you can't find a dealer to demo the stuff then E-mail me and I can set it up for you. mbosse@tycoint.com

Forum Member

We use Speedshore with mineral water. When I took my trench class, we also used Paratech struts (not the ACME locks but the other ones...) I myself like the Paratech ones over the speedshore, but the with the speedshores you do not have to get into the trench to put them in (or use rope).

.zimm

FIGJAM

Holmatro also offer struts for shoring.
    Luke

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Bro quit procrastinating, no one else here EVER does that. :-)

Another company Rescue 42 (http://www.rescue42.com ) has good stuff. Surf their site. The telecribbing link is decent with a lot of good photos.

Be safe Dal!

JW
    "Making Sense with Common Sense"
    Motor Vehicle Rescue Consultants
    ( MVRC@comcast.net) Jordan Sr.

Forum Member

Hey All,

Haven't posted here for awhile, and the new system is so screwed up that it won't let me use my old User Name: Rescue 42.

Wanted to clear something up: JW, thanks for the plug, but Rescue 42 Struts are not rated for trench. We are easily strong enough, but I have not yet taken the time to get the certification.

Both Paratech and Airshore Structural struts are rated for trench rescue, but they are big and expensive. By far the most economical and space saving option is to contact a local contractors supply store for Trench Jacks. There are several brands, and they are cheap.

Tim O'Connell
    www.rescue42.com

That's a good idea I'll pursue, Tim.

I don't have a problem using "industrial" equipment instead of "fire service" equipment when it's appropriate. Especially something as common in industry and uncommon in the fire service as shoring jacks, and if that lets us afford a larger number of jacks that would be great.

Do you/anyone know if there is NFPA standards that apply to trench shoring and/or building collapse jacks?

Matt

Forum Member

One more option, Try my website at www.zmagrescue.com for the "quick", "Bandaid devise" which gives you time to go call the truckload of lumber. Check the "Z-Shores" page. Let me know, we may even be able to get you a set to play with before you decide to purchase.
    Mike @ Zmag

MembersZone Subscriber

Matt,

NFPA 1006 and 1670 cover the training requirements for trench rescue (and other types of rescue). BUT, I am not certain the equipment spec info is included in it. Also the federal info for protective systems can can be found in the 29 CFR 1926.650-652

( http://www.afscme.org/health/excav05.htm ) <-----that link gives you a taste of what the CFR has for info.

If you can get your hands on hard copies of those published requirements they will probably help a lot more than we can here.

Be safe.

Fraternally, JW
    "Making Sense with Common Sense"
    Motor Vehicle Rescue Consultants
    ( MVRC@comcast.net) Jordan Sr.

MembersZone Subscriber

Airshore.

The ART (air rescue tool) can be used for trench, collapse, extrication, Confined space and airshore has been around for ever.
    They make a good product and are almost maint. free.

Thread Information