Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Replacing pagers with portables.

My department is considering replacing our old Mintor 2 pagers with the Vertex 180. Has anybody had any experience with this radio? Your input would be very helpfull.

Forum Member

Question

Not to be a smart-***** or anything, but voice pagers are bulky enough to cart around on your belt all the time...who wants to carry a portable around all day??

Also, I'm not familiar with this manufacturer or model, but if it's one of those micro-mini-sized ones, I can tell you this...every station in my area that bought into the really cool, super-small portables when they came out some years ago dumped them within a few years because they found that they just couldn't be used effectively on the fireground (too hard to use with gloves on, etc.). Now, the smallest thing anybody uses around here are Motorola HT1250's.

Just some thoughts...hope this helps.

A lot of people are doing just that with that exact radio. However, something needs to be clarified here. These radios are a replacement for PAGERS, not fireground radios! Can they be used as a fireground radio at incidents that are not hitting the fan (minor MVA, auto-alarms, etc), sure. But anything that is going to invove getting beaten up should be left to a more rugged radio designed for such.

The advantage of these little radios over pagers is:

1. 16 channels
    2. Scanning those 16 Channels
    3. CTCSS / PL / DPL
    4. TX Capability as described above
    5. Cheaper than a Minitor IV which is an overpriced POS.

The transmit capibility can be locked out on a per-channel basis so you can prevent the RF Free-for-All if so desired.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Lightbulb

I dont think you should use w/t s in place of pagers too many radios cause too much radio traffic from young ffs ,it has taken us a long time to weed out all of our w/t s,dont try to cut corners too save $ we use the mintor 4 w/scan now as the pagers of choice,we learn our lesson on this issue IN HOKE CO .NORTH CAROLINA CAPT RIDLEY
    HCFIRE603

The time has come for communication to get better, and there's really no reason to prevent those who NEED to communicate their response or various necessary messages over the radio. I agree that minimizing excessive radio traffic needs to happen, but communication is definitely needed in our profession. Radios are cheap enough for at least a few replacements to happen at a time. Issuing should be based on who will likely need to talk on a radio (ie: officer, paramedic, etc).
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

We no longer have pagers. Everyone is issued a Kenwood TK-280. The reasoning is ALL FF's(paid & volly) now have a radio for interior firefighting. And the comment about unneeded radio traffic is BS!!! We do not have that problem!! It all comes down to training and discipline!!! If for some reason a Volunteer gets on scene to an MVA they do a appropriate radio size-up. And that also relieves us of having what our neighboring county does of paging out a call every 5 minutes until told to stop by someone who gets to the station. That is due to NO ONE having radios so they know who is responding.

Every dept in my county have issued radios and we have no such problems with radio discipline. If you have training and proper procedures in place the problems of unneeded radio traffic is a moot point.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

OK, once again, the portable radios can have have the transmit capability locked out on a per-channel basis. If you don't want people talking, you disable the transmit. Simple as that.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb

I purchased one of those radios for my self. It's great. Thing beats a pager all to peices. Most of the ff/emt's in my squad have their own personal portables or were issued one by the station and we never have any trouble with chatter. it just takes some discipline to not chatter the whole time on these things. as far as durability goes, this thing is tough. i've had it inside on structure fires, been sprayed with water, been frozen in the middle of winter (i was frozen so bad i couldn't move the visor on my helmet without fear of cracking it). The ability to put in silent mode so that it operates as just a pager is very useful, so is the ability to add and delete channels from the scan on the fly. plus it's got that nifty alphanumeric display so that i can tell who's talking when i got it on scan. all told i like this thing better than anything motorola puts out. granted there are more heavy duty versions of the VX, but unless you guys are constantly going into fire (like day in day out kind of thing) i think you'll have no trouble out of it.

Thread Information