Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need Some Help

Default Need Some Help

Now that I'm starting my senior year of high school, my parents are pressuring me to go in to anything thats not fire related. I want to become a firefighter, but my parents don't want me to become one because my older bro. is already a firefighter. I think my dad also thinks i couldn't hack it because i'm a girl and he thinks of firefighting as a guys thing. I want my parents support, but they are completly against me becoming a firefighter. Has anyone faced this before or have any advice as to how to get my parents to support my decision?

Thanx
    Jaime
    No longer an explorer-
    Currently Keene State College Class of 2008
    KEENE STATE RUGBY #5!!!
    I shed blood for my ruggers.
    <forever ruggers, forever sisters>
    www.kscwrfc.org

All gave some, some gave all. Gone but not forgotten. 9/11/01

MembersZone Subscriber firechick76's Avatar

I know exactly how you feel! My parents are starting to come around a bit but itís been a long hard road. The biggest thing to remember is that if this is what YOU want, go for it. I donít know what type of relationship you have with your parents but if other than this itís a good relationship then they too will come around. How does your brother feel about this? Is he supportive? If so that may be a big help. I only have a sister who is a teacher so that was no help for me. Also in my case I am older (27) and just starting this. Before I really decided to become a firefighter I had a cushy desk jobÖ I was a travel agent. My parents are really wishing I would go back to something like that.
    I have lots of experience in this so please feel free to e-mail me or PM me. We can talk.

Good Luck and Stay safe!
    Janelle

mqtfiregrl@yahoo.com
    The hardest thing to learn in life is which bridge to cross and which to burn...

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb

I have two daughters, the oldest is 22 and her sister is 20. Since they were born I have told them two things over and over, 1. all men are scum, make them prove otherwise and 2. you can't do that because you are a girl. WOW, you should see them now, anything they have attempted to do they have succeeded at and anyone who has tried to stand in their way, I have felt sorry for. I don't think either will pursue a career in the fire service, not as a firefighter anyway but that, as adults is their decision to make. As a parent all I want for my kids is for them to be happy and if that meant they wanted to fight fire then so be it. The only other thing I want for them is to be secure enough about their own decision making, they will want to move out of our house! SOON!

Good Luck!
    John
    Vintage Firefighter:
    "The older I get the braver I was!"

Default Long way to go yet.

You have a long way to go yet, before your going to settle in to a
    career. College shold be on your mind right now. Many of the cities
    around by me now require a college degree or you must obtain one with
    in two years of being hired. Their a several different majors to choose from in the fire field. Investigation, Safety, Speicalized areas to choose from. Also you can look into becoming a industrail firefighter. Letting your parents know that you want to follow into
    this line of work, but you are going to continue your schooling my be
    a good way to go right now. Also as firechick asked, your brother may
    be a good source of information for both you and you parents. Ease them into it. Yes even parents need to be taken along slowly.

Good luck and keep your goals in sight.

Joe
    Gods Speed to our Troops!

If you can't stand the heat, Get out of my way !!!
    MEMBER OF I.A.C.O.J.

Thumbs up

Hey Jamie,

Here's what I think about this topic. Girls can become firefighters, and here's what I say. If firefighting is really your dream, then go for it. And most importantly, don't loose sight of your dreams. My parents too, were concerned when I told them I wanted to become a Paramedic/Firefighter. However they realized it's my dream to be a Paramedic/Firefighter. And now they say, don't let anything stand in the way of my dreams, just be careful. If worst comes to worst, move to California, and become a Firefighter Reserve... Just Kidding. Anyway. Good luck. Oh and BTW... The schooling helps. I am currently pursuing my A.S. in Emergency Medical Technology, and then I will Pursue my A.S. in Fire Technology. Take care and God Bless.

Bruce , 19, EMT-1D, C.A. a.k.a. Codebru2003
    Brubaker@citlink.net

P.S. R.I.P. 343, 9/11/01. God Bless America.
    "ALWAYS REMEMBER, NEVER FORGET".
    Last edited by brubaker; 09-17-2003 at 05:55 PM.

You will never go wrong with education, and that can even help you to decide what you want to do. Time in college can either firm up your feelings about being in the fire service, or possibly sway you the other way. You will certainly know the first few times you don a pack or go into a smokey space. But you certainly deserve every chance to try it and give it your best. As all others have said here, following your dreams is something we all should be able to do, and your parents will love & respect that about you, even if they don't understand this part of your life yet. You will find, though, that jobs are earned by those who are the most well-rounded, meaning education, ability, and personal relations. The more you can do to beef up all of those components, the better chance you'll have of getting the badge, as CaptBob would say. We all support you and the decisions you make as a fellow firefighter, so forge ahead with confidence and always remember that you can do it! Best of luck
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

Hey Jamie,

"Follow your heart, Follow your dreams, because you never know where they will take you."

Bruce, 19, EMT-1D, C.A. a.k.a. Codebru2003

-This is my own opionion. Feel free to borrow it, with proper credit of course.-
    Last edited by brubaker; 09-17-2003 at 07:18 PM.

thanx everybody, i'll let you all know if my parents change their minds. I know i won't change mine
    Jaime
    No longer an explorer-
    KEENE STATE RUGBY #5!!!
    www.kscwrfc.org

MembersZone Subscriber jaybird210's Avatar
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Hey, here's something you might want to consider. I know I wish I had....

Every so often you'll see an advertising banner here on FH for Hyattsville VFD. They ofter FREE housing to college students who will volunteer in their FD while going to college. What a scam! Get to go on calls, free room, and get your degree out of the way. Anybody younger than 22 not considering this is nuts.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Laconia Fire dept. does this or NHCTC fire science students. I am thinking about doing that
    Jaime
    No longer an explorer-
    KEENE STATE RUGBY #5!!!
    www.kscwrfc.org

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking JAYBIRD!!!

Thanks a lot for touting the competition. Actually HVFD isn't a bad place to be, they do ask us to come put their fires out sometimes. Seriously, anyone who is considering higher education in Fire Science related areas should check out the programs at the University of Maryland. And the side benefit, as Jay said, is that you have a chance to Volunteer with the busiest combination department in the world. At Glenn Dale ( www.gdvfd18.com ) we are about 8 miles east of U.Md. and like the other 48 stations in P.G.County, we are busy enough (9,137 calls last year)that nobody get bored, but slow enough that there is time to study. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

I plan to stay in new england when i go to school tho. mayb worcester polytech, anna maria, or nhctc
    Jaime
    No longer an explorer-
    KEENE STATE RUGBY #5!!!
    www.kscwrfc.org

Thread Information