Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Retirement age for Rigs

Is there an age limit for fire apparatus front line service, or as long as they meet a performance standard they are good to go. Over 50% of our ladders are 15 years old, and we've stopped yearly testing, so we're getting a tad concerned. Thanks and take care.

Forum Member

Not that I know of. We try for 10 years front line. Some departments have units that are 20 years old or older on the front line. As long as they are manitained and tested to NFPA compliance. So I would suggest doing recerts on your ladders, its cheaper than a new rig.

Forum Member

Sometime in Sept of 2003 NFPA will be publishing the latest edition of 1901/ In it they are coming out with annex d. Annex d will make recommendations concerning updating apparatus older than 15 years and replacing older than 24 years. these are only recommendations. They also specify what areas that should be updated and what things should recieve maintainance.

There are some very rural FDs with front line apparatus which dates back to the 50's even 40's. You have to make do with what you got.

Localy we are on a 20yr replacement cycle. Buying a new $250K-650K truck every 5 years is hard enough, decreasing the cycle to 15 years would seriously crimp the economics of our town.
    ______________________________ __________________
    If you are new to posting please CLICK HERE for an essential lesson
    ______________________________ __________________
    A bad day in the boat is better than a good day in the office. And in my case the office is a boat!

IACOJ Fire Boat 1

Forum Member FireCapt1951retired's Avatar

My city used to wait until we ran out of bailing wire and duct tape (they just kept buying it though). To be honest, until just recently we had apparatus that was as old as 27 years and still being used as front line apparatus. Fortunately Thats changed now. I'd have to say, it depends on how often it's used. The maximum I would want to see for a slow department would be 25 years old. Busier departments around 10-12 years maximum.

Forum Member

I'm not sure if what I'm about to say here applies to all of Canada or just the Province of Prince Edward Island, but I think it does apply nationaly. We can keep rigs in service as long as we want, but after 20 years, they are no longer fleet insurable. I don't know how that works in the USA, but there is something similar to it down there that might be worth looking into from your insurers.
    Our department just got rid of a 50's era FWD 4x4 tanker (ex Air Force unit). Sad to see it go, actually. It was a a real bull dog in a bad snow storm. Anyway, with the exception of a spare brush rig (20 years old), all of our rigs are, now, no older then 7 years. But as was previously stated, some dept's have to make do with what they can get.

Pat

MembersZone Subscriber

I know NFPA has their own thoughts on the subject but I really think it should be on a case by case basis. On the admin side plan to replace rigs anywhere between 10 and 20 years depending on how busy you are. But I wouldn't dump the rig unless it isn't worth it to maintain it any longer.
    Based on past rigs you should have a good idea of how long they will last.

Thread Information