Forum Member

Default Forest fire training in eastern US

Help!

There seems to be nothing out there in the way of training materials for FD's in the eastern US--specifically, mountainous terrain with mostly deciduous trees and a big-time interface problem.

I realize forest fires are a bigger problem out west and in evergreen territory, but we're hitting 20 or so brush fires each year and don't have locally relevant training media.

Anybody in NC, TN, WV, OH, VA, etc. have any ideas?

Thanks.
    Last edited by EastKyFF; 08-25-2003 at 12:24 PM.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

EastKyFF, I live in WV and see every once in awhile they offer a Forest Firefighting class at local fire schools. I want to say it is taught by firefighters from the state DNR but I am not sure. You may want to get ahold of your state DNR and see if they have some such class. Or depending upon how far you are away from WV I could let let you know the next time they have a class like that around here that you could attend.
    These opinions are my own, not of my company or my affiliates

2 in, 2 Out, Pass on, Collar up, SHOW TIME!

Forum Member

What's DNR?? In Kentucky the State fire Commision now requires that for all new firefighters to have 4hrs of wildland firefighting traning for certification. They sometimes have classes at fire schools but i've only saw a few schools that offer the class but i dont know how good they are.
    "I truly believe that tradition is important to the long-term survival of the fire service."-Lt. Andrew Fredricks, FDNY,9-11-01

DNR is Division of Natural Resources. I don't know what KY's equivalent is. Also FF41230 if you ever talk to Huey tell him to run some calls over here. He's never around anymore. Also here is a link to the West Virginia DNR
    These opinions are my own, not of my company or my affiliates

2 in, 2 Out, Pass on, Collar up, SHOW TIME!

Sr. Information Officer

Contact Information:
    Kentucky Division of Forestry
    627 Comanche Trail
    Frankfort, KY 40601
    (502)564-4496
    Division Information Officer: gwen.holt@mail.state.ky.us

Give them a call or send an e-mail and inquire about S130/190 wildland firefighting courses. They will probably be more than happy to assist you.

NJFFSA16
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Forum Member

I have the S-130 and 190 curricula, but they just aren't geared toward our type of fuels, terrain, etc. I am hoping to find stuff specifically for deciduous, temperate forests like we have. Any ideas? Thanks for the help so far. 41230, from what I understand the fire schools are doing 130 and 190.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

FF881D HUEY was supposed to be back over here but I havent saw him in awhile he hasnt run any calls with us in a few months.

I dont know what they offer at the fire schools just that sometimes its down as a class, from what i've heard it isnt really good.
    "I truly believe that tradition is important to the long-term survival of the fire service."-Lt. Andrew Fredricks, FDNY,9-11-01

Forum Member

You might check with the Sevierville Fire Department. They are pretty agressive in their training and have had several serious forest fires to deal with in the past few years. We've went up to help them out a few times. They can be reached at 865-453-9276.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile Well......

In Maryland, DNR (yeah,same meaning) Provides training for us thru the local Forest Ranger for each County. They also teach the standard curricula as set by the New England and Mid-Atlantic Forest Fire Groups (some form of mutual aid groups, I think) S130 and S190 are on their list, I have taken both. The National Pro Board has standards for Wildland Firefighter, you might look into that also. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Read my post on the wildland firefighter form thread you started. I gave the link for the training programs.

Thread Information