Question Breathing air cylinders

Can anyone help me with the standard or guideline that says composite breathing air cylinders have to be removed from service after 15 years.

Forum Member

It is a DOT regulation. I have it somewhere at work, I'm on again tomorrow-8/26 If you still need it I'll look it up and post or email you tommorrow.
    Check out my blog: The Fixit Shop

Forum Member

Please, Post it. I am sure everyone here would benefit from knowing where the 15 year rule is located.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Thanks for the reply scbaguy, I am still looking for the regulation here but if you have it and can post it I would greatly appreciate it.

Forum Member

Default almost there....

OK, I'm waiting for an e-mail that has the quoted copy, but here is what I have so far..

SCBA cylinders are covered under 49 CFR 173.115,, this defines them under class 2.2 of hazardous materials (non-flamable compressed gas).

The 15 year rule is under CFFS. This is a "extra" set of regs that are specific to manufacturers of the above referenced cylinders. They Reference the 49CFR173, and give manufacurer guidelines on exactly how to make the cylinders. In the CFFS is where the DOT exemptions are found for each manufacturer. Like E-8059 on the Scott Featherwight composite bottles.

As soon as I get the copy, I will post the quoted section and reference for all.

Stay tuned...

Forum Member

I cant get the CFFC into a format that will copy over to post here. Basically the CFFC is the instructions TO the manufacturer FROM the DOT on EXACTLY how to make the cylinders. In the instructions it says that "...the service life ...of cylinders shall be 15 years from date of manufacture." It goes on to say how the manufacturer may file for an extention to the life span.

Hope this helps

Thread Information