Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blowout!!!

Forum Member

Default Blowout!!!

On Friday August 22 at approx 12:20 hrs when returning from a call, the Shoal Lake (MB) Emergency Response Team's 1982 Mack Tanker blew a right front tire a about 55 mph. The firefighter driving did just that and drove it until it stopped upright and on the road. According to records the tire was at 95psi cold when checked the night before and had 90% tread depth.

The only casualties were the tire, front fender, and the shorts of the paasenger who had large chunks of tire pass his elbow really closely at high speed.

The tanker was being operated in contravention of SOGs which state Full or Empty during transport with approx 2500 gallon in its 3500 gallon tank.

Just posted this because sometimes when bad stuff happens we don't lose firefighters or iron.

So maybe its not news, but I sure felt better when I heard that all were OK. (Just a note, I was not on this call so cannot take credit for driving or soiled shorts )
    This is of course only my humble opinion, but then again, its likely the only one that matters.

Forum Member

Please pass a hearty "WELL DONE" to the driver.

(and a "been there, done that" to the passenger!)

Glad everyone is OK.

MembersZone Subscriber Engine58's Avatar

Good Job to the driver, also gotta say been there done that as a passenger except I was in an ambulance..ripped the running board right off the rig oh man the memories!!! It was horrible 70mph down a highway in the Fast lane....when all of a sudden BOOM!
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

Congrats to the driver for getting that stopped safely, with no human injuries.
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber SHVFD_Asst_Chief's Avatar

First, I am happy that everyone is okay, but I am sure that there are a couple of butt prints on the seats. This has never happened to me or anyone I know, personally, I hope that it never happens.

I was wondering two things, first, what make and model of the tire? Also, was the tire pressure at specifications? I am asking this so I can compare it to our tires.

I lost a right rear outer on a set of dualies once. It was the winter after 9-11 and I swear, for just a second I thought a grenade had gone off in the rear of my truck (3300gal home heating oil delivery truck, fully loaded as I was crossing a draw bridge). To say it rocked my world would be putting it mildly.

After stopping the truck and inspecting the wheel I called my boss and told him what happened. A couple of girls were outside the local video store, appearently having a smoke on their break, and one told me I made them jump. My reply was something to the effect of "Made you jump? You should have been in the f$%&ing truck honey!"

Good job to the driver, I'm sure it was one hell of a wake up.
    ______________________________ __________________
    If you are new to posting please CLICK HERE for an essential lesson
    ______________________________ __________________
    A bad day in the boat is better than a good day in the office. And in my case the office is a boat!

IACOJ Fire Boat 1

Forum Member

One of my paramedic friends suggest that you monitor your passenger for a cough and scratchy throat. It may be caused by a piece of the seat that was sucked up during the incident.

Forum Member

I'm just happy we can all have fun with this.

Vollie... Tire was Michelin X2A-1, Max pressure 95psi. Tire was within spec.

This is the second blowout suffered by this dept. In my first year on the dept while returning from a training session at the lake with our old and rickety 1964 f-950 Super duty (are you ready for this?) 2500 imp gallon tank, six foot long hosebed with 500igpm godiva portable pump and 75 feet of 1.25 booster line on a power reel on a SINGLE axle. All that other stuff was added to the back of this old fuel tanker. Can you say what weight and balance? Any way 4 of us riding the tailboard (I said it was a long time ago) at about 45 mph, we hear a loud bang and the truck sags to the right, about a 30 sceond pause and the second tire lets go. Once again we stopped upright and on the road, but that day, my shorts had to be buried.

Stay safe this long weekend everyone.
    This is of course only my humble opinion, but then again, its likely the only one that matters.

Thread Information