Forum Member

Smack dab in the middle of Central Illinois

Default State Fire Apparatus Contracts

Can anyone provide information via a link to a website about states that bid out generic specs for fire trucks, then allow departments to purchase from that contract? I know NY used to do that, and I believe Penn., but I am not sure if they still do.

Michael

District Chief

I know Florida has something simlar to what you are looking for. But I am not sure the link to the website. Try searching the web for Florida Government.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

I know Ohio has a "State Bid Engine". I can't say for sure, but I believe it came fully equipped , on a commercial chassis, for somewhere around $170,000. I will see if I can find a link for it.

MembersZone Subscriber

The Ohio contract truck is under the state Dept of Commerce, then the State Fire Marshal. Good luck.

Forum Member

OK, it looks like the program I was talking about may have expired at the end of 2002, but I'm not sure if they have a new one or what. Here is a link to a page about it, which has another link to look at some more options and such.

http://www.com.state.oh.us/ODOC/sfm/bidtruckpage.htm

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up state bid

you can state bid on squads (ambulance) also, my dept. just did that in the spring, and we are taking delivery next month. the price tag on the EMS vehicle was $140,000.00, and you can tweak it to some extent, we added an inside compartment and a few other things, as far as we know the state bid thing is going to be a continuing thing
    Any commander who fails to exceed his authority is not of much use to his subordinates. - Arleigh Burke

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Default Contract Truck

Louisiana has contract trucks. My combo department just received a new Ferrera pumper/tanker last month which was a contract truck. You may not be able to get exactly what you want but the price is good and there a re a few options to help customise your order some.
    To learn about St Gabriel FD you can go to http://www.geocities.com/cellblock776/stgabrielfire

Forum Member

Firedan38, what state are you referring to?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Mississippi

I believe Mississippi has, or used to have this process. The state was giving grants to Departments to upgrade equipment, on the condition they bought the chosen engine. They got a better price, because they were buying large numbers.

Forum Member

There is something similar to that here in California
    The Office of Emergency services as these ugly yellow Type 1 Fire engine

These engine's are given to local FD's at no cost
    Well in return for the engine the department agrees to man the engine with a crew of 3-4 and send it anywhere within California when needed

Forum Member

Thanks for the replies so far guys, I appreciate it. Does anyone know if New York or Penn. still has this program as well?

Thread Information