Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Pumper moving while in pump gear

Any Departments had any trouble with their pumpers taking off while pumping. Our department had a pumper that had been pumping for 5 to 10 minutes then took off. Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

If it took off it wasn't completly in pump to begin with. Unless you have pump and roll the rig can't pump and drive at the same time. But it can jump out of pump. It is usually because it didn't go all the way in to pump in the first place.
    The rig needs to go to the shops and shouldn't be used until fixed.

MembersZone Subscriber

It doesnt have pump n roll it had been pumping at 100 psi for 5 to 10 minutes then took off. It didnt grind or anything, one minute it was there the next it was rollin! Its out of service waiting for parts now. It did it when it was about six months old and e-one put a new computer board and some kind of sylenoid on it and said it would never do it again but it did, and this time it smacked the pumper in front of it and just missed a cadet by 5 seconds.

MembersZone Subscriber

That doesn't make much sense to me. Having been a bone head and switching from "Pump to "Drive" with the truck in gear makes an un godly racket!

-Nick

On the way to the station. Really. It's 12 kilometers away and there's traffic.

My department's 1993 Navistar (essentially an E-One, all things considered) had for a while a sticky solenoid in the transfer case which would keep it from going into pump gear. Nine times out of ten it would just spin the T-case and nothing else, but if left alone for a while, it'd eventually drop into pump gear. I know, though, that if we had left it long enough without repair, one day it would have just as easily "eventually" dropped into road gear too.

And for those who think that runaways don't happen, here's a pic (which I may have swiped off the forums a while ago anyway):

--j.
    Jason Low
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

I personally know of a Ferrara engine taking off while sitting in front of the station. It went across the street, thru the ditch and high centered on the railroad tracks.

On a HME chassis I believe.

This engine was brand sparkling new.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Ok so tell me did we forget to set the brakes and use wheel chocks??
    I have been around the fire service just a little while as well as been around big rigs etc heavy equipment etc and I have never seen a truck just jump into gear. Now I have seen them roll when someone forgot to set brakes etc but not just jump into gear. But since i hear it was an e-one it just gives us one more reason to not buy them.
    Have a great day
    GFIRE

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes the brakes were set the officer that drove the truck to the scene and who operated the truck drives tractor trailers for a living for about 30 years and has been a member of our dept for over 27 years so he knows to pull the yellow button when he stops

Forum Member

Question

Originally posted by BMTFD2821
    Yes the brakes were set the officer that drove the truck to the scene and who operated the truck drives tractor trailers for a living for about 30 years and has been a member of our dept for over 27 years so he knows to pull the yellow button when he stops
    BMT, has there been a mechanical "autopsy" done to find out exactly what went wrong? It's very hard to believe that the transmission lockout failed, the airbrakes weren't strong enought to hold the truck in place AND that it could jump properly placed and sized chocks.

I'll grant you that anything can happen theoretically, but it just seems so very unlikely. Has there been any investigation or is the matter just going to be dropped?

Let us know.
    Remember, it IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you!

MembersZone Subscriber

The truck is in the shop now being repaired, e-one is going to check the transmission. As far as the brakes when they are set and you raise the rpms the truck will move, this will happen on most trucks equiped with air brakes. If you dont believe me try it on one of your own trucks. Put the truck in drive with the brakes set, then slowly push on the accelerator, the truck will start to move around 1000 to 1500 rpms. Be careful because you can snap the drive shaft and dont run over anyone!! I drive tractor trailer for a living also and have forgot to release the tractor brakes and semis do the same thing just not as high rpm.

Thread Information