Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question E229Lt E40fdnyl35....need clarification here

This was in a local paper......is this the same thing that was permiered for you guys? I was under the impression that it was a movie...this says it is a play?

'The Guys' salutes Big Apple firefighters of 9-11
    DONNA HARTMAN
    Herald Staff Writer

Television has aired countless documentaries on Sept. 11, 2001. Nonfiction books about America's new day of infamy abound. References are starting to pop up in the movies, i.e. Spike Lee's "25th Hour." Steve Earle and Bruce Springsteen have immortalized the day and its aftermath in song.

Now journalist Anne Nelson has written a play, simply called "The Guys," which pays tribute to firefighters in New York City who died in and who survived the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11.

The play takes place in New York less than two weeks after two hijacked jet airliners slammed into the World Trade Center and the the twin skyscrapers crumbled.

"The Guys" focuses on Nick, a fire captain who has lost most of his men in the attacks. He's searching for a writer to help him with eulogies that he has to give at their funerals. He finds an editor named Joan and together they remember the fallen men by writing their stories.

Nick and Joan discover the possibilities of friendship and their love for the resilient spirit of New York City.

As they make their way through a landscape of grief, they draw on humor, the tango, and the enduring bonds of humanity for inspiration and emotional survival.

The "New York Post" has called the play, "stark and simple, potent and poignant, brimming with edgy humanity. It's a generous, sad touching play about the braveries of grief."

Brian Shea, a University of South Florida graduate and an actor who has appeared on local stages, directs "The Guys." It features husband and wife Paul and Roz Potenza in the roles of Nick and Joan.

The play opened in late 2001 at Tribeca's off-off-Broadway theater, The Flea, and starred Bill Murray and Sigourney Weaver. Since then, stars of stage and screen have performed the play throughout the country.

Jobsite's production of "The Guys" began when artistic associate Paul Potenza went to New York in January of 2002 and saw The Flea's original production. He was convinced he had to bring the play to Tampa.

Potenza was born and raised in New York City, which he still considers his home.

Shortly after Sept. 11, he toured Ground Zero. His brother-in-law, Tommy DaParma, a fireman and Queens trustee for the Fire Department of New York, helped Potenza get in touch with Nelson and he pitched the play to Jobsite.

The play is an important bridge for those who live outside New York because it gives victims and survivors a human face, Roz Potenza said.

"These were people with full lives and the firefighters are a close community. They call each other brother," she said. "It's a play about the loss of life and about life and the people who have to continue on."

Interestingly, the circumstances brought together Nick and Joan, two people who otherwise might not have connected, Roz Potenza said.

Potenza's "mind-boggling" visit to Ground Zero spurred him to bring the play to Tampa.

"Artistically and personally, it's an important play," he said. "It's an inspirational piece that reminds us that we need to remain focused on the good things."

"The Guys" plays at 8 p.m. Sept. 3 and 10 at the Jaeb Theater, Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center, 1010 N. MacInnes Place, Tampa. Tickets: $25. Proceeds will benefit the widows and children of the FDNY and Tampa Fire Rescue. Information: (813) 229-7827.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Thumbs up

The Guy’s was first performed as a play then turned into a movie. I saw the play at Lincoln Center and the Primer on the Intrepid.Both were very moving.
    Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 08-30-2003 at 07:41 AM.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

So I guess my question is...Is this Legitimate? and....part 2...Should I see the play or wait for the movie?
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Cool

FORUM

More
    THE GUYS. Based on the experiences of journalist Anne Nelson, who helped a fire captain write eulogies for the eight men in his company who died at the World Trade Center, THE GUYS is a powerfully moving first feature written and directed by Jim Simpson, whose previous extensive experience has been in the theater. Sigourney Weaver plays the journalist with insight and compassion and Anthony LaPaglia delivers a tour de force performance as the bereaved fire captain. As their collaboration progresses, the two form an unexpected bond and we rediscover the quiet heroism that has become part of our daily lives since 9/11. USA, 2002. 88 min. A Focus Features release.

"THE GUYS" AT LINCOLN CENTER
    (Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins Perform For Families and Friends of Those Lost on September 11)

Each year, April 28, Workers' Memorial Day, is a day when we turn our attention to those workers who have been killed, injured or diseased on the job. However, this Workers' Memorial Day carried special significance.

In an effort to pay tribute to those workers killed or injured as a result of the tragic events of September 11, the New York State AFL-CIO sponsored a special performance of the highly acclaimed play "The Guys", on April 28.

Academy Award winner Susan Sarandon and critically acclaimed actor Tim Robbins starred in this Command Performance for the immediate families and personal friends of workers lost at the World Trade Center -- those at their jobs when the attacks occurred and the heroic firefighters and rescuers who worked to save lives.

The invitation-only event was moved from the 100 seat Flea Theater in Tribeca to Alice Tully Hall at Lincoln Center through the joint efforts of the 2 1/2 million member New York State AFL-CIO and the Flea Production Company.

New York State AFL-CIO President Denis Hughes stated that, "We were looking for a way to show our respect and admiration for the heroism and bravery displayed by so many working men and women on September 11. In a small way, we hope this helps the families and friends of our heroes to deal with this tragedy.

"Anne Nelson has written this spectacular play. And we are honored that Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins lent their amazing talents to this worthwhile cause," said Hughes.

The 90-minute play opened on December 4 to a sold-out house at the Tribeca's Flea Theater located near ground zero. Later profiled on CBS's Sunday Morning, the play is viewed as a moving theater experience that articulates the emotions and longings many people have faced since September 11.

It presents an honest exchange between a fire captain faced with the daunting task of writing eulogies for eight of his men killed in the World Trade Center attack and a writer who is enlisted to help with the task.

The LA Times says about The Guys…"This is why we have theatre!” This play was created as a result of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, when playwright Anne Nelson volunteered to help a NYC fire captain write eulogies for some of his men who perished at the World Trade Center. This enthralling show captures her experience with the fire captain as he relives the tragedy, shares the memories of his brave men and describes the inner dynamics of relationships among firemen. The Guys embodies our shared sense of unity and humanity, even in the most difficult of circumstances!
    Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 08-30-2003 at 07:59 AM.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Thanks....God Bless you guys!
    BMI Investigator

Thread Information