Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Post Port St. Lucie FL--Tire Recycling Plant Burns

Firefighters spend night battling blaze at previously cited Florida Tire Recycling
    By Liz Flaisig staff writer
    September 2, 2003

PORT ST. LUCIE -- A mound of burning tires was finally under control Monday afternoon after firefighters spent all night battling more than 20-foot-high flames.

Firefighters were called to Florida Tire Recycling on Range Line Road at 12:31 a.m. on Labor Day after the large pile of shredded tires caught fire.

Three engines, two tankers, a brush truck and 20 firefighters responded to the blaze, St. Lucie County Fire District spokeswoman Lt. Marti Newport said.

The pile of scrap tires and metal was 500 feet long, 20 feet high and 50 feet wide.

Although the tire recycling business has seen two other tire fires within the last year, this blaze proved more difficult to control because Florida Power & Light Company power lines run parallel to it, Newport said.

Once power was turned off to the area and chlorine rail tank cars were removed, Newport said firefighters began to make headway.

By 2 p.m., seven firefighters remained on the scene with the pile still actively burning in some spots. Power was restored and the tankers returned to the property.

"It's been burning the whole time but now that we're seeing some tire separation we've started making progress," Newport said. "This wasn't as bad as it has been in the past. We're getting used to it now and we can solve the problem quicker."

Rain helped dampen the thick, black smoke emanating from the pile and an irrigation tractor was used to contain the fire, Newport said.

Firefighters are expected to leave the scene sometime today, when the business' owner brings portable pumps to continue extinguishing the tires.

Florida Tire Recycling was cited in 2001 for non-compliance with state environmental laws.

The Florida Department of Environmental Protection cited the company for exceeding the amount of tires it was allowed to store, putting tires in unauthorized areas and failing to provide adequate fire lanes. The business was also not properly bonded, according to DEP.

Representatives for DEP and Florida Tire Recycling were unavailable for comment Monday. County fire inspectors have not determined the cause of the fire.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Post Under Control

Firefighters bring tire fire at PSL recycler under control
    By Derek Simmonsen staff writer
    September 3, 2003

PORT ST. LUCIE ó Firefighters transferred control of a still-smoldering tire fire back to Florida Tire Recycling late Tuesday afternoon, but it will be at least several days before the cause of the blaze is known.

The fire began around 12:31 a.m. Monday on Range Line Road after a large pile of shredded tires apparently ignited. "It is still under investigation," said Battalion Chief Carlos Duran, a St. Lucie County Fire District spokesman. The large volume of material means it will be at least several days before investigators can determine how the fire began, Duran said.

Workers with Florida Tire Recycling were using portable pumps Tuesday to continue dousing the tires, Duran said. There were still about three piles of tires that were smoldering Tuesday afternoon, he said.

Officials with the Florida Department of Environmental Protection will visit the business later this week to conduct a routine site inspection, said Willie Puz, a department spokesman. They will be looking for contaminated storm water or other chemical run-offs caused by the fire, he said.

The facility is regulated by the DEP and inspectors will ensure everything conforms to code after the fire, he said.

The business was cited in 2001 for non-compliance with state environmental laws, but the owners resolved those complaints, Puz said.- derek.simmonsen@scripps.com
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Post Update

Expert gives tips to St. Lucie Co. firefighters

By Will Vash , Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
    Saturday, September 20, 2003

A tire fire expert from Texas is expected to offer advice this weekend to St. Lucie County firefighters as they continue to battle a blaze in 20-foot-high mounds of burning rubber west of Port St. Lucie.

The visit is one of many developments in the effort to extinguish the large blaze at Florida Tire Recycling Inc., at 9675 Rangeline Road, which began Labor Day morning and has spread from one to three mountains of shredded rubber.

Terry Gray, a consultant hired by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection, had a hand in developing fire prevention and site stabilization plans for the plant in 1994, DEP spokesman Willie Puz said.

"He's coming here to offer his insights," Puz said. "He's going to be making recommendations about fire breaks and fighting it effectively."

Meanwhile, firefighters are gathering resources, including extra equipment, to fight the fire, which remained 800 feet long and 50 feet wide Friday, said Carlos Duran, St. Lucie County Fire District battalion chief.

A pond on the plant property that had been sucked dry to douse the fire will be replenished with water from a pond outside the site. Burning material will then be moved and dropped into the pond so it will cool, Duran said.

Florida Tire Recycling has built an access road that will make it easier for firefighters to fight the blaze. Company officials could not be reached for comment Friday.

The original fire, whose cause is under investigation, had been confined to one mound until Sunday, when it spread to the two other piles.

"It's suspicious," Duran said. "We had cut lines in between the piles to prevent that."

will_vash@pbpost.com
    BMI Investigator

Post Update

Firefighters may turn over tire fire
    By Derek Simmonsen staff writer
    September 27, 2003

PORT ST. LUCIE -- A tire fire burning for nearly four weeks could be turned back over to the company Monday, according to a fire official.

Firefighters will continue to stay at Florida Tire Recycling on Range Line Road through the weekend, though they will remove some equipment, said Battalion Chief Carlos Duran, a St. Lucie County Fire District spokesman.

They will conduct a final evaluation Monday to decide whether the fire is contained enough to be turned back over to the company, Duran said.

"A good portion of what's burning is . . . metal," Duran said. "It's tire metal within the pile. That's going to continue to burn."

Some of the material will likely continue smoldering for days, he said.

The county recently loaned an excavator and a 5,000 gallon water tanker -- both of which helped quickly break up the piles of burning tires and extinguish the flames, Duran said.

The fire originally ignited early on Sept. 1 and flared up again on Sept. 14 in a "suspicious" manner. The origin of the fire is still under investigation and cannot be determined until the firefighting is complete, Duran said.

Terry Gray, a consultant with the Florida Department of Environmental Protection, wrote the company's fire prevention plan in the mid-1990s, according to Willie Puz, a DEP spokesman. He visited the site last weekend and passed along his recommendations to fire officials, Duran said.

"It was determined that operationally we were doing everything that could be done," Duran said. "There were no changes to what we've been doing."

DEP has been monitoring the site and will continue to do so, Puz said. So far the company has been doing everything correctly and the DEP has not noticed any violations, he said.

The company did not return a call for comment.

"We will continue to monitor the conditions and, if need be, we'll bring personnel and equipment back," Duran said. "After this weekend, it'll be material that has been smoldering, but it shouldn't flare up again."

- derek.simmonsen@scripps.com
    BMI Investigator

Thread Information