Man badly burned in starter-fluid fire


Staff Report

Last update: 04 September 2003


HOLLY HILL -- A man suffered serious burns Wednesday morning after spraying carburetor starter fluid into the engine of a forklift, fire officials said.

A blaze erupted and burned 25 percent of 58-year-old Joseph Weber's upper body, fire officials said.

Fire Inspector Edward J. Brown said Weber was alert and walking about when paramedics arrived at a business at 1670 Nova Road, but was later listed in critical condition at Halifax Medical Center.

Weber, who works at Ring Lift in Orlando, was taken by helicopter to Orlando Regional Medical Center.