FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Angry Robert. Jack, what are you thinking.......

A construction executive touched off a furor yesterday after he said hundreds of hardhats should be forced to work near Ground Zero during the second anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks - declaring, "It is time to move on."
    The E-mail sent by Robert McNally, a Tishman Contruction vice president, and a similar - but less harshly worded - E-mail written by an executive at the firm that's redeveloping the disaster site, were repudiated by both companies.
    After inquiries from the Daily News, Tishman and Silverstein Properties said they would abide by a police call for a 24-hour moratorium on work at and around Ground Zero Thursday. Police officials have cited security and safety concerns surrounding the planned memorial ceremonies.
    The controversy ignited Wednesday, when McNally got a memo from the city calling for the work stoppage and shot off a reply: "Not wanting to sound like a hard ***, 9/11 happened two years ago."
    Yesterday morning, Jack Klein, who oversees the rebuilding of 7 WTC for Silverstein, fired off his own E-mail.
    "Unless the City of New York convinces the unions to declare 9/11 a union holiday, we will open and work," Klein wrote.
    Howard Rubenstein, a spokesman for Silverstein Properties boss Larry Silverstein, said construction at 7 WTC will come to a halt Thursday. He called Klein's E-mail "inappropriate and unauthorized."
    Daniel Tishman, chairman of Tishman Construction, reacted similarly. "Mr. McNally is a midlevel staff person and is not authorized to take any position like that," Tishman said in a statement. "He's absolutely wrong."
    A Verizon spokesman added, "There will not be any construction outside ... 140 West St." on Thursday.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Forum Member

It sounds like some mid level managers are trying to suck up and kiss their bosses butts. I love the last paragraph in Ray's post...

Howard Rubenstein, a spokesman for Silverstein Properties boss Larry Silverstein, said construction at 7 WTC will come to a halt Thursday. He called Klein's E-mail "inappropriate and unauthorized."
    Daniel Tishman, chairman of Tishman Construction, reacted similarly. "Mr. McNally is a midlevel staff person and is not authorized to take any position like that," Tishman said in a statement. "He's absolutely wrong."
    A Verizon spokesman added, "There will not be any construction outside ... 140 West St." on Thursday.
    It looks like their butt kissing backfired!
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 09-05-2003 at 12:23 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

I was watching the news last night and heard a comment about President Bush declaring 9/11 as Patriot's Day. Does this not make it a holiday??? or no?

And irregardless of whether 9/11 was 2 yrs ago, 22 yrs ago or just yesterday; thousands of innocent people lost their lives and that moment needs to be observed, and reflected upon. I know I will take my moment of silence on the morning of 9/11, I will be thinking of all the lost brothers and all those who were lost merely for going to work that day.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

They weren't thinking, that's the problem! WOOF! WOOF!

Very well put Jenn.

I too will be planning a very special day on Thursday. It will be a day filled with rivers of tears and moments of reflection.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

We are planning a little rememberance at the station that day.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

I am glad those two got smacked down, but I am still shocked that anyone working in a job connected with the WTC would say the things they said. What the he!! is going on in this country? Would anyone speak with such disrespect about Pearl Harbor or Gettysburg? I don't get it.

Sr. Information Officer

If the "Ground Hero" site got one tenth of the honor and respect that is afforded to Pearl Harbor....just one tenth....they'd still be eleven tenths behind.

What is wrong with people today? Why does this event not carry the same impact?

I don't get it....Pearl Harbor is a place of dignity, respect and honor EVERY DAY of the year. The Battleship Arizona rests...and shall not be disturbed. It has a wonderful, fitting memorial. One's hair stands on end during the presentation in the theatre. The visit to the site is silent...yet awe inspiring.

"Ground Hero" deserves the same.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Forum Member

I can't believe some people.
    I look at this day as our Rememberance Day. A day our brothers and sisters in Emergency Services gave there lives to save others.

We will be a half mast, and those that can will be in dress uniform on 9/11. I know many others up here who share the same opinion and view.

District Chief

NJ.....Very well said.......

As far as President Bush declaring "Patriot Day"...that is the first I heard oof it. Is it an executive order creating a federal holiday?
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Sr. Information Officer

Post It IS true.....

Inspired by the heroic sacrifices of our firefighters, rescue and law enforcement personnel, military service members, and other citizens.....
    NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim September 11, 2002, as Patriot Day. I call upon the people of the United States to observe this day with appropriate ceremonies and activities, including remembrance services and candlelight vigils.
    The entire proclamation is available on the Dept. of State website:Patriot Day Proclamation
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Thread Information