MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb What do you think about Pierce Quints

We have received a FEMA grant and are looking at a Quint type truck. Anyone with Pierce quint expierences good/bad/otherwise, any thoughts,comments, feedback would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks
    LT1CHFD

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a 2000 with a 105' stick.

It is easy to operate. Almost Fire fighter proof. The suspension SUCKS !! It bounces ALOT over bumps in the road. We had some minor problems with some electrical issues.

But all in all, love it, and we are looking at replacing our Tower in a year or so and are looking at Pierce. Our current interim boss is looking to go for the rear mount but most if not all the rest want mid mount.

Ladder 3
    Stay Safe & Bring 'em Home!
    Eddie C.
    I.A.F.F. Local 3008

"Doin' it for lives n' property"

** "The comments made here are this person's views and not that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

MembersZone Subscriber

I like the Pierce. Probably the best unit out there. A 105 with 500 h2o and big pump, TAK-4 to fix the suspension problems, maybe all steer for manuverability, Dash chassis with command zone. You really do need to look at them all.

Stay Safe

Pierce made the best quint we ever bought. Came 100% ready, good fit and finish. No hickups at all in 19 months.

The independent suspension option though was tried by E-One and it was a failure.

MembersZone Subscriber

Key word E-ONE.

Talking

There's a handyman special available in Fort Collins, Colorado.

Forum Member

I bet you could get this one for a song. Bring your dust pan to ensure you get all the parts.

http://www.windsortribune.com/module...ticle&sid=1040

Forum Member

What is most upsetting about the accident is the complete separation of cab from chassis. Looking forward to some more details on this...

I wonder whose fault this will be. Of course it won't be Pierce's.

The picture is a little fuzzy. Is that a set of jaws to the left of the fire fighter?

dazed and confused

Originally posted by Bones42
    What is most upsetting about the accident is the complete separation of cab from chassis. Looking forward to some more details on this...
    Yeah I had to do a double-take when I saw and read that. Maybe it's engineered to do that to dissipate energy...
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

We have a 2001 105' stick.

So far, no major problems, good truck overall.

I think we would've been better served by a 75' stick or even (gasp) a Telesqurt that would've addressed our water tower needs and still been plenty long enough for our buildings and setbacks, and for the few exceptional reaches six 100' aerials & towers are available in a 10 to 20 minute circle.

Ok, why do we need one when others are so close? If you're asking, you've never seen the fire an aerial master stream can eat when used aggressively when low on manpower -- much more efficient than handlines or even bomblines, and not waiting 15 minutes for a mutual aid ladder is going to be the difference between a stop and the whole building being involved.

Giving up that extra but usually not needed reach would've gotten us a single axle truck that was easier to manuever.

There's chimney fires now we no longer bring the ladder up for since it would be too much of a pain-in-the-butt to make the upteem point turn to pull into the driveway. Kinda shoots a hole in part of the arguement for the safety of the aerials to work off of, when you can't get it close enough and have to use ground ladders anyway.

I'd also shudder in my district of running it as the first due piece except to commercial locations well known to us. We can, eventually, get it in anywhere, but it's not a quick process. A Squirt would've met the needs.

*sigh* dreams of CAFS-equipped 70' Telesqurt with a 500 gallon tank on a single rear axle...now followed by a 1200 gallon Attack tanker would make a hell of an attack pair.
    Last edited by Dalmatian90; 09-09-2003 at 02:26 PM.

Forum Member

Default I have more where these came from

Check this out
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Default more

Why did the cab seperate from the chassis? Why did the ladder rotate and extend 180? Why is the all steer that no one else uses seperated from the chassis? Looks like a major malfunction to me.

Forum Member

Default one more for now

dazed and confused

Unhappy Cab-Chassis Separation

Damn. I've never seen this happen in fire apparatus, and in one day I've seen two instances from the same manufacturer. I keep a collection of public safety collisions, and of the hundreds I have, I don't have any like these. Is this common in fire apparatus collisions? I'm sure rollovers exert tremendous force on the cab mounts, but I'd expect it to remain intact nonetheless.
    Last edited by Resq14; 09-09-2003 at 03:42 PM.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Why did the cab seperate from the chassis? Why did the ladder rotate and extend 180? Why is the all steer that no one else uses seperated from the chassis?
    Probably because no one does a 68mph barrel roll test on their trucks. Everyone does collision and side flop, but I haven't seen anyone advertising a complete acrobat test. The only new one I've seen lately is the Ferrara "pile heavy crap one the roof" test, which most do but not that much weight. Having looked at the guts of nearly every manufacturer of fire trucks, I can't say for sure that no one elses would have done the same at that speed. They're not built that differently from each other in how tilt cabs are attached to the chassis. Hinges at the swivel points on the frame to tilt, the pistons to raise the cab, and the cab locks at the back to lock it down again. So only 6 points of connection between the cab and chassis? Most truck collisions and wrecks that I've seen have been at lower speeds. And if you remember physics from way back when, force = mass * velocity squared, so the difference between 30mph and 68mph is quite large. It might be something for all manufacturers' engineers to look at. This is something that could have happened to anyone's aerial, rescue, or pumper, regardless of cause. Stupid people in cars cause most crashes so don't write it off not happening to you in another brand truck. Anything with lights and a siren is at risk. Hopefully if it does happen again there won't be any serious injuries like there was this time.

Drive safe, stay safe, go home after the call.

Forum Member

Default New Safety Feature???

Maybe Pierce was testing the "Escape Pod Theory" where the cab seperates from the frame in the hopes the crew is "thrown clear" of the wreckage. You know, like that thing the Space Shuttle is supposed to have?...oh...wait...that hasn't worked yet....nevermind
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Anything found in my posts is soley my opinion and not representative of any other individual or entity.

You know that thing inside your helmet? Use it wisely and you'll be just fine.

Mother Jesus...

I was about to post revisiting the roll-over thread 'cause this afternoon my little brain started going, "Wait...if the cab seperated, where's the ladder?" when I saw Ricky's photos.

Can you imagine the forces flying on that truck? I'm not sure if the right word is "angular momentum" or not, but that ladder & truck had to be generating a hell of a lot of foot-lbs of torque!

Forum Member

well thank goodness no one was killed. I wonder if the cab was suppossed to do that ? certainly as Dal said ......quite an impressive manuver !
    Last edited by Weruj1; 09-09-2003 at 06:56 PM.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Exclamation 2 Incidents?

Resq14: You stated it happened twice in 1 day to the same manufacturer, I've read about the one on Colorado, where was the other one? What did it involve?

Thanks,

dazed and confused

From the vantage point of the first pic, I thought it was a separate incident from the 3 pics shown after. My mistake. (And I meant seeing two types of collisions in one day, not that they actually happened the same day. But I was mistaken anyway, so it doesn't really matter )

BC79er

Maybe you should read the article. "Officals on the scene said the crash may of been caused by a mechanical malfunction". and a salesman from from Pierce said the driver felt something go wrong. Nobody even implied that the cause was irresponsible driving. Also, from the pictures, it looks fairly open, flat and dry where the accident occured.

Pierce makes it easy to jump on. Second major failure within a year concerning a aerial device. "I calls 'em likes I sees 'em." And I am always impressed at how it's never their fault or problem.

Observations concerning the pictures: The ladder did rotate 180 degrees, but the top of the cab doesn't have a scratch. Which would seem to indicate the ladder was up and away when the cab came off. Also that the self steering tag came off. No flat tires evident. Interesting.

To Marc the driver: Above everything else, I'm glad you are okay.

Forum Member

Second major failure of an Pierce aerial within a year? One had nothing to do with the other. I wasn't aware that the aerial device had anything to do with driving down the road. I alway thought that was the chassis' job.

And if you can tell whether or not any tires were flat from the posted pictures you have much better eyesight than mine.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I didn't say it was driver error in this case, I saw the part about the mechanical failure and the driver feeling something go wrong and I don't doubt his statements.

My point was 99.9% of fire truck wrecks are a driver's error, and 99.9% of that time it's the idiot in the cars, not the fire truck driver. Since you can't control the idiots, at that speed I'd be willing to bet the farm that anyone's cab would come off the chassis if they did a barrel roll, so keep that in the back of your head when you're hauling down the highway. At 68mph if you get a flat, it will yank the truck in that direction, and if you're not strong enough to keep the truck under control, or attempt to over-correct, it won't matter if you're in an E-One, ALF, Crimson, Ferrara, or whoever, it will flip, and if it goes airborne, you can bet the cab is coming off that chassis. Luckily in this case, as I think would be the case with all manufacturers, there was no structural compromise of the cab. It kept it's shape and seatbelted occupants would be shook up, but in one piece.

Forum Member

Pierce makes it easy to jump on.
    Funny, I didn't even realize it was a Pierce.

Thread Information