Forum Member

Default Straghit Stream -v- Fog Nozzle

Ok First of all I'm not trying to spark a great debate, I was just curious as to what everyone uses on their engines for the attack line, were trying to convince everyone to put the straghit stream nozzle on the attack lines...Stay Safe!
    NYS FF1/AEMT-CC
    IAEP Local 152
    "You stopped being in charge when I showed up"

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Okay this has been discussed, debated, and been a debacle here more times than I can count.

First of all some semantics. A straight stream can be made with a fog nozzle, a solid stream is made with a smoothbore nozzle.

My volly FD uses break apart nozzles with a 200 gpm at 75 psi combo tip with a 1 1/4" slug tip behind that.

All nozzles are putting out fire somewhere. While I prefer the smoothbore our set up is a compromise that I can live with. Our firefighters are trained to use the straight stream on the combo when doing interior fire attack.

FyredUp

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile Well............

First the hose size and intended use, then the nozzle and tip.

1inch..... Brush line. 1" breakaway W/combi tip

1.5 inch.... Fire Attack Line. 1.5 Breakaway w/combi tip.

2inch..... Backup Attack Line. 1.5 Breakaway W/Solidbore Tip (1.125")

3inch..... Holy Cow Line. 2.5 Quarter Turn Gate Valve W/ 2inch Solidbore Tip.

Works for us......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Our situation here is a bit different than most in that we are operating in an petrochemical facility. All fire fighters are taught to open up on full fog and adjust down to power cone or straight stream depending on approach. Straight stream to throw cooling water to adjacent vessels or lines, power cone or full fog to approach for vale isolation. All lines are 2 1/2" running at 14 bar ( about 200psi) with adjustable flow and pattern nozzles. All fire boxes also carry inline foam eductor with aspirating nozzle.

District Chief

Talking

Fyreup....you can do the smae with one manufacturer's dual pressure nozzle... In the low pressure setting you can develope a SB stream...I have seen it and pitot'd it.

In answer to the question, we carry the Elkhart Chief (not my choice) on 1.75" lines and we also have a couple old akrons and tft's. On our 2.5" lines we carry on old fog with a playpipe (again....not my choice) and the other with a SB and Playpipe.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

all 1 3/4 hose has combination nozzles
    all 2 1/2 hose has smooth bore nozzles
    again try SEARCH before posting
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

This topic should be coded the Lazarus thread"...it keeps coming back from the dead!
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 09-07-2003 at 10:14 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

It won't matter what you use, what it flows or the hose size, fires always seem to go out.

55 Years & Still Rolling

Talking Can We Combine a Lot of Threads into One????

Would it be easier on everyone if we had one thread for discussing those things that just refuse to die?? We could call it the "What size hose and nozzle should I attach to the lightbar on my POV that I use to go to the station to get a Beer??" Thread. Stay Safe....
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

"This is the thread that never ends/Yes it goes ON AND ON my friend!/Somebody posted it not knowing what it was/And they'll continue posting it FORVER just because/This is the thread that never ends......"

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

it's just one tool in the toolbox.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our situation here is a bit different than most in that we are operating in an petrochemical facility. All fire fighters are taught to open up on full fog and adjust down to power cone or straight stream depending on approach. Straight stream to throw cooling water to adjacent vessels or lines, power cone or full fog to approach for vale isolation. All lines are 2 1/2" running at 14 bar ( about 200psi) with adjustable flow and pattern nozzles. All fire boxes also carry inline foam eductor with aspirating nozzle.
    I found your post interesting. I used to work at a petrochemical facility. I have a few questions. I am interested in the differences in your operations and how I was taught to perform valve isolation, adjacent vessel cooling, etc.

Why use such big lines at such pressures? I have isolated many valves with 1 3/4 inch lines.

When using the big lines to cool adjacent vessels, lines, etc., a straight stream seems to waste a lot of potential cooling water because it slaps the tank and then splashes away. We were taught to open the stream up so that the water hit the target and flowed down across the surface in order use all available water, and to cool a larger area.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

Forum Member

captstanm!...

You absolutely cannot make a solid stream with a fog nozzle irregardless of whose it is. The deflection of the stream around the stem makes it impossible for the stream to leave the nozzle as a solid stream. It may come back together and form a wonderful straight stream, that may or may not be accurately pitoted, but it will never be a solid stream.

And having seen that wonderful dual force nozzle gain 1 gpm when switched from regular to emergency low flow in a simulated standpipe set-up I whole heartedly agree they are worth every penny....NOT.

By the way, how long have you been selling TFT's?

FyredUp
    Last edited by FyredUp; 09-08-2003 at 05:17 PM.

Forum Member

This topic should be coded the Lazarus thread"...it keeps coming back from the dead!
    Nah...it would have to DIE, first.

55 Years & Still Rolling

Talking Hey Stan............

Could it be that the young folks have never seen a Santa Rosa nozzle, or that Akron creation that had a 1 1/8 tip with a fog cone around it?? For those of you who weren't there, the period 1945 thru 1965 saw a lot of experiments and research in Nozzle design. Some are with us today, others fell flat, a few were spectacular failures, but at least, people were challenging the status quo in water application equipment and techniques. Many of our solid, dependable, tools of today came from that era. Stay Safe....
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Thumbs up Santa Rosas!!

We've still got a couple of these around! Got a 2-1/2" fog nozzle TWIST-ON!!! Talk about a bugger to operate! It looks much better in a display cabinet than on a preconnect, thats fer sure!
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Forum Member

hwoods...

I am aware of those nozzles, but I would hardly put those in the same class as a regular combination nozzle. There is quite a difference between a combo nozzle with a smoothbore integrated into it and a combo nozzle with a stem that the water has to flow around.

I still stand by my prior statement that no combination nozzle can make a solid stream.

FyredUp

Forum Member

Here we go again..........

DING DING!!

Round 1..............

Forum Member

OK First things First I didn't mean to dig this thread up from the dead, From everyones tone it's sounds like I'm beating the dead horse but I'm only looking for opinions as to what works/what doesn't work for a Smoothbore 1 3/4 attack lines! If I wanted sarcasm I would have asked nicely for it! Not that we have that out of the way I was curious if anyone has a picture of a Hi-Pressure Nozzle it would help too!...Stay Safe
    NYS FF1/AEMT-CC
    IAEP Local 152
    "You stopped being in charge when I showed up"

Forum Member

From everyones tone it's sounds like I'm beating the dead horse but I'm only looking for opinions as to what works/what doesn't work for a Smoothbore 1 3/4 attack lines!

And that's why people were saying to use the "search" function of the forums. You will find multiple threads in this same topic and none of them are different.......... They all end up the same way. You have some people that swear by smooth bores and others who will only use combinations. Each nozzle may work better or worse depending on the situation. Just do us a favor and at least look through the other forums on this subject, because it looks like it's already starting to get ugly in here.......

Forum Member

Heck, this isn't getting ugly yet.

And besides, I even said my volly FD uses both types of nozzles.

Rescuehoppy...

The most common sizes of smoothbores used on 1 3/4" lines are generally the 7/8" that flows around 160 gpm at 50 psi and the 15/16 which flows 182 gpm at 50 psi.

FyredUp

Forum Member

It's not the nozzle, it's the person operating it.

Forum Member

You mean y'all still get nozzels?? After all the budget cuts
    we are left holding our thumbs over the end of the hose

Thread Information