Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Combat Challenge Gear

The explorers post put together a team to run in the Combat Challenge on Sept. 6-7. It was easy for us because it was held in Winston-Salem, and I am a explorer in Winston-Salem. So we ran as a relay team, but we failed to finish. I was the reason, I was pulling the doughnut roll up the tower, did it perfectly the day before WITHOUT my gloves. Well, my gloves are old and have alot of burning to the right hand. So when I went to pull the rope up it would slip so I wore myself out in trying to get it up, I did get it to the top, only to be disqauilifed when it started to slip down. But I was wondering, what gear is allowed to be used. Some guys were using gear without liners, some forestry gear, extrication gloves etc. Does anyone know what the rules are? I have tried the Combat Challenge site and did not find anything.
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

Default Here...

Here is a guy in action. Looks like the lighter the
    gear, the better...

http://www.phenixfirehelmets.com/mai...ges/itf/18.jpg

http://www.phenixfirehelmets.com/mai...ges/itf/19.jpg

Post Look Again

Explr985....It may have appeared that way, but it is not....

I know this for a fact since I have been involved in the firefighter combat challenge as a course worker and as a support of friends who have competed.

The rules very clearly state that all gear must be compliant to NFPA 1971, (I am not sure the edition)for Structural Firefighting Gear....That includes all gear from head to toe. This is true and I can speak from first hand knowlege. The helmet that was used by a team I supported was the L.A. Style with a very short brim which made it lighter. It was questioned by another competitor and the results of the run were on hold until it was determined that the helmet indeed met NFPA 1971.

You should be able to find that on the web site. Now from time to time people do compete (non-competitively) and they do not have to have all the same style stuff. But if you are competing for the record you must comply.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Ok, thanks for the links. If any of you have ever seen the Travis Air Force Base Team run, wow they are fast. Team Travis and Winston-Salem F.D. Team 1 were the fastest in the 9-7-03 races.
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

MembersZone Subscriber SHVFD_Asst_Chief's Avatar

Also to let you know, the only piece of gear that you are not required (nor recommended) to wear is the hood. I also took the shield off my helmet to keep it from getting tangled on something.

I have also noticed some of the competitors have the top of their jackets open just a bit (or a lot depending on the person). I admit that mine was open about 6 inches.

I have never seen a competitor using any wildland gear. I have seen lightweight turnout gear (that I wish I had). All gear had liners.

I am sorry your team got disqualified. It is a lot of fun, both to watch and participate. Try it as an individual next year. After watching it for two years, I got in better shape (still a long way to go), and was able to finish with a respectable 2:35 (best time out of three).

Thread Information